Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,810 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Calling All Greek Mythology Fans - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Calling All Greek Mythology Fans (7012 Views)

International Association Of Independent Journalists Calling All Nairalanders!! / Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread / Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by stoked: 7:12pm On Oct 26, 2014
Another funny thought that crosses my mind often: were the gorgons so ugly that whoever looked at them turned to stone or was it that they actually had the power to turn men to stone at will. If the latter is the case then they were really a sore bunch of sisters.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Ritajovy(f): 6:21pm On Oct 27, 2014
I luv d greek myths.......Dier books are jst so alive.......I luv d action esp...
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 12:19am On Nov 10, 2014
I ws sort of banned from replying on this thread for some time after I posted dat link....... So, who has read d book? I av. I hate how watered down annabeth and percy were, he(riordan) might be trying to show dat every1 needs ppl and all dat but still.....surely not to d extent of polybotes beating percy under d sea and percy saying he was just feeling suicidal...... Not too much spoilers, I hope

1 Like

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiah99: 5:16am On Jan 30, 2015
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiah99: 1:55am On Feb 25, 2015
Hera

Hera was Zeus' wife and sister, and was raised by the Titans Oceanus and Tethys. She was the supreme goddess, patron of marriage and childbirth, having a special interest in protecting married women. Her sacred animals were the cow and the peacock, and she favoured the city of Argos.

Zeus initially courted Hera, but after many unsuccessful attempts, he resorted to trickery. He took the form of a disheveled cuckoo; Hera, feeling sorry for the bird, held it to her breast to keep it warm. Zeus then resumed his normal form and taking advantage of Hera's surprise, he raped her. Hera then married him to cover her shame; their marriage was turbulent and they often clashed.

Occasionally, Zeus treated the other gods with particular harshness; Hera took advantage of that and asked them to join her in a revolt. They all accepted and set the plan in motion; Hera drugged Zeus, and then, the others bound him to a couch. At that stage, however, they began to argue over what the next step should be. Briareus, one of the Hecatoncheires, overheard the arguments; still full of gratitude to Zeus for saving him and his brothers from a dragon, Briareus sneaked in and quickly untied the knots that held Zeus in place. Zeus sprang from the couch and grabbed his thunderbolt. The gods fell to their knees begging and pleading for mercy. He seized Hera and hung her from the sky with gold chains. She wept in pain all night, but none of the other gods dared to interfere. Her weeping kept Zeus up, so the following morning, he agreed to release her if she swore never to rebel again. She had little choice but to agree. While she never again rebelled, she often interfered with Zeus's plans and she was often able to outwit him.

http://www.greekmythology.com/Olympians/Hera/hera.html
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiah99: 1:57am On Feb 25, 2015
Hera is the mother of Ares, the Greek god of war. Who was fathered by Zeus.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiadotcom: 5:28am On Apr 05, 2015
technically, the some of the Narnia books would classify as greek mythology
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiadotcom: 4:09pm On Apr 07, 2015
The original Andromeda was the daughter of an Ethiopian king.

Her actual colour remains debatable though.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiander: 4:05pm On Sep 17, 2015
where are the other fans??...what are your takes??
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Crixina(f): 4:58pm On Sep 17, 2015
Graviton:
^^
I don't think it is out yet

i love myths, I'll be here later to post some greek myths...Lets keep the thread alive, c'mon!
funny how I love the Greek gods and goddesses, but I can't really tell any of the myths.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Crixina(f): 5:01pm On Sep 17, 2015
Graviton:
Theseus and the Minotaur

a long time ago, there lived a king named Minos. King Minos lived on a lovely island called Crete. King Minos had a powerful navy, a beautiful daughter, and a really big palace. Still, now and then, King Minos grew bored. Whenever King Minos was bored, he took his navy and attacked Athens, a town on the other side of the sea.

In desperation, the king of Athens offered King Minos a deal. If Minos would leave Athens alone, Athens would send seven Athenian boys and seven Athenian girls to Crete every nine years to be eaten by the Minotaur.

The Minotaur was a horrible monster that lived in the center of a huge maze on the island of Crete. King Minos loved that old monster. He did like to give his monster a treat now and then. He knew his people would prefer he fed his monster Athenian children rather than ... well, after thinking it over, King Minos took the deal.

Nine years passed swiftly. It was just about time for Athens to send seven boys and seven girls to Crete to be eaten by the Minotaur. Everyone in Athens was crying. 

Prince Theseus of Athens knew the importance of keeping your word. He knew that a deal was a deal. But, he was also quite sure that it was wrong to send small children to be eaten by a monster just to avoid a battle with King Minos. Prince Theseus told his father (the king) that he was going to Crete as the seventh son of Athens. He was going to kill the Minotaur and end the terror.

"The Minotaur is a terrible monster! What makes you think you can kill it?" cried his father.

"I'll find a way," Theseus replied gently. "The gods will help me."

His father begged him not to go. But the prince took his place as the seventh Athenian boy. Along with six other Athenian boys and seven Athenian girls, Prince Theseus sailed towards Crete.

When the prince and the children arrived on the island of Crete, King Minos and his daughter, the Princess Ariadne, came out to greet them. The king told the children that they would not be eaten until the next day and to enjoy themselves in the palace in the meantime. The Princess Ariadne did not say anything. But her eyes narrowed thoughtfully. Late that night, she wrote Prince Theseus a note and slipped it under his bedroom door.
I feel like I'm being read a bedtime story. Nice!
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia8: 1:14am On Oct 27, 2015
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiadotcom: 5:15pm On Nov 20, 2015
where are the other fans??...what are your takes??

no takes I guess.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiadotcom: 5:18pm On Nov 20, 2015
Ok, then...Here's a thing that I have been wondering..If Percy and Annabeth were to get married and procreate, Do you think their child will be a god/goddess, seeing as they are both Demi-gods??

tpia5:
The kids might be a mixture.

But most likely they'd be quarter gods since the parents are half.

Since there's no such thing or term as quarter gods, that means they'd most likely just be humans with special abilities ie superheroes.

I dont know if its possible for some child to inherit the demi factor from each parent that would make him/her a full god.

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiar: 6:11am On Dec 10, 2015
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 10, 2015
hmmmm
I love Greek mythology
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 11, 2015
mistytohcute:
hmmmm

I love Greek mythology
Goan read percy jackson and the olympians then
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by tpiar: 4:14am On Jan 02, 2016
.. . . . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

8 Requirements For A Successful Talent Discovery / The Missing Soulmate / STORY: Mrs. Chika, My Favorite 'teacher'[part 1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.