Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,671 members, 7,955,446 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:07 AM

Calling All Greek Mythology Fans - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Calling All Greek Mythology Fans (7165 Views)

International Association Of Independent Journalists Calling All Nairalanders!! / Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread / Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 2:21am On Aug 22, 2014
Whatever I posted up there is based on d PJ series and HoO. To those reading the books, which demigods do u think are the most powerful?
Percy first
Nico 2nd
Jason grace/thalia 3rd
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 6:16am On Aug 22, 2014
^ which moniker did you use?

i think danpersie is referring to wrath of the titans , while i was referring to clash of the titans.

HOO gives the ancient tales a modern twist with some westernization thrown in.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 22, 2014
itstpia1: ^ which moniker did you use?

i think danpersie is referring to wrath of the titans , while i was referring to clash of the titans.

HOO gives the ancient tales a modern twist with some westernization thrown in.
Dat's my own moniker..... I'm not talking abt d films, those are based on Zeus' son, Perseus. Both PJ and HoO tell ancient tales with modern twists
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 10:53pm On Aug 23, 2014
i dnt undastand..is dat 2 say dat it was adulterated or twisted? because i simply am begining 2 get confused abt kratos and ares..i was playing god of war white and realised ares was my destiny 2kill b4 d gods 4give me?ares is kratos predecessor r9t? Hw did ares leave being d god of war?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 4:30am On Aug 24, 2014
if we bring in video games, the thread will get too confusing.

lets stick to the tales only, a separate thread can be opened in game section for games.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 4:32am On Aug 24, 2014
IlCapitano: I've got a thing for Greek myths but i think it'd be better if we just discussed &analysed the various mythological books we've read e.gRick Riordan's books.

Nice, i have read Percy Jackson and the Olympians 1-5, they were good..but I still think having the story straight from the source is better

same here.

the PJ series are quite extensive, perhaps they should have their own thread?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 4:39am On Aug 24, 2014
Cadmus

Phoenician founder of Thebes, brother of Europa. Cadmus went looking for his sister when she was carried off by Zeus in the form of a bull. The Oracle of Delphi told him to abandon the search. Instead he was to venture forth until he should meet a cow, to follow this cow wherever it should lead and found a city upon the spot where it lay down. Cadmus populated his new city by sowing dragon teeth which sprouted into warriors who he then taught the phoenician alphabet.

http://www.mythweb.com/encyc/entries/cadmus.html
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 4:41am On Aug 24, 2014
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by TheInQuireR(m): 9:43pm On Oct 01, 2014
the Blood Of Olympus is going to be published 7days from now
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 01, 2014
I've been seeing it on my facebook page....... Downloading d book go rid me of time to jack ooooo, buh we go still run am sha

2 Likes

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 11:57am On Oct 02, 2014
blood of olympus sure is a good 1 am lookin 4ward 2...pls lets make dis thread lively again pls
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Daniel2802(m): 2:43pm On Oct 06, 2014
I read mine from wikipedia.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
the book's not even out yet. To be released on d 7th of oct, last time i checked.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by TheInQuireR(m): 10:24pm On Oct 06, 2014
daniel how did u get to read it :-/ its getting published tomorow, which is literaly today because of the time difference. Anybody know when its going to be available in africa or where to download the softcopy , im totaly dying to read the book. 1year waiting no be small joke o
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 8:30pm On Oct 07, 2014
I'll check it out out or at least read the synopsis.

I havent really been following the series although I did read the pj ones.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by SIRcumalot: 12:10am On Oct 09, 2014
TheInQuireR:
daniel how did u get to read it :-/ its getting published tomorow, which is literaly today because of the time difference. Anybody know when its going to be available in africa or where to download the softcopy , im totaly dying to read the book. 1year waiting no be small joke o
I just downloaded it
Check torrent sites.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 4:33am On Oct 09, 2014
It's already on mobil9 too. Just search for riordan

1 Like

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 10:36am On Oct 10, 2014
can u guys drop d link?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 4:25pm On Oct 17, 2014
Why are these posts being hidden?

Whoever is hiding them should at least state the reason.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by armadeo(m): 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2014
I have read the initial PJ series and I stumbled unto the heroes if Olympus. I am currently reading the mark of Athena though i have house if hades. So I should begin to look for blood of Olympus then.....

Very lively books kept me hooked like the potter series.

1 Like

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 6:29am On Oct 19, 2014
for those who have read the book, your reviews?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 5:37am On Oct 20, 2014
i came late, but i'm facinated with greek mythology,so keep the stories coming
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by trublvr(f): 10:09am On Oct 20, 2014
The Myth of Arachne and Athena
Arachne was a blessed weaver of Greece. People asked her if she had been taught weaving by Athena herself, the goddess of wisdom and crafts. Although this was meant as a compliment, Arachne became angry. She thought that her skill was greater than the goddess's.

Hearing of her attitude, Athena appeared on her doorway disguised as an old woman in a dark cloak. She asked her to respect the gods and goddesses, but Arachne just laughed, and said that even if Athena herself challenged her, it would be an easy win. Athena then revealed herself and challenged Arachne to a competition. The loser would promise never to weave again.
Athena wove a tapestry of the people of Greece, with Poseidon and Athena over them, deciding whose name should be given to the city of Athens.

Arachne wove a tapestry about Zeus, and his seduction of Europa and others. Athena saw that although Arachne had insulted the gods, her work was so beautiful that Athena herself was awed. She realized that Arachne couldn't live without weaving. To make Arachne realize her mistake and also to teach her to respect the gods and their works, she touched Arachne's forehead with the tip of her hand. The magic worked only partially, filling Arachne with guilt for her insolence, and she hung herself. Out of pity, Athena brought Arachne back to life as a spider, so that she and her descendants could weave all their lives.

Spiders are called "arachnids" after Arachne.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 8:18am On Oct 21, 2014
where can i get the books
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by TheInQuireR(m): 8:12am On Oct 23, 2014
bataderemi:
Whatever I posted up there is based on d PJ series and HoO. To those reading the books, which demigods do u think are the most powerful?
Percy first
Nico 2nd
Jason grace/thalia 3rd
yeah we all think percy is the most powerful but really its nico so heres my list.
1. NICO
2. Percy
3. Thalia
4. Jason
5. Leo
6. Annabeth
7. Reyna
8. Piper
9. Frank
10. Will solace
OMG!! I have forgotten the name of the headcounselor of Ares cabin< its clarisse ryte>. Yeah just insert her name above below annabeth and push the rest to the following respective numbers
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 5:00pm On Oct 24, 2014
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 11:08pm On Oct 25, 2014
The Trojan Horse

The Trojan Horse is a crafty contraption that allowed the Greeks to put an end to the 10-year-old Trojan War. The wily Greek hero Odysseus conceived the project and design for the Trojan Horse; Epeus, is credited with the actual building of the Trojan Horse.

The Greeks left a giant wooden object made to look like a horse at the Trojan city gates. Some of the Greeks pretended to sail away, but actually sailed just out of sight. The other Greeks stood waiting, inside the belly of the wooden beast.

When the Trojans saw the giant wooden horse and the departing Greek troops, they thought the wooden horse was a parting gift for the gods, so most of them wanted to wheel it into their city. The decision to move the Trojan Horse into the city was opposed by Cassandra, the prophetess whose fate was never to be believed, and Laocoon, who was destroyed, along with his two sons, by sea serpents after pleading with his fellow Trojans to leave the Trojan Horse outside their city walls.

The Trojans took this as a sign that the gods were displeased with Laocoon's message. Besides, the Trojans preferred to believe that since the Greeks were gone, the long war was over. The city opened the gates, let the horse in, and celebrated riotously. When the Trojans passed out or fell asleep, the Greeks climbed down from the belly of the Trojan Horse, opened the city gates and ushered the rest of the troops into the city. The Greeks then sacked, destroyed, and burned Troy.

http://ancienthistory.about.com/od/troyilium/g/TrojanHorse.htm

this is where the saying "Beware of the Greeks when they come with their gifts" came from.

Metaphorically a "Trojan Horse" has come to mean any trick or stratagem that causes a target to allow a foe into a securely protected bastion or space (from wiki)

2 Likes

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by stoked: 7:02pm On Oct 26, 2014
It seems the greek gods could actually die, and were not as immortal as they led the mortals to believe; this being brought about by the ambrosia they ate and the nectar they drank. Its actually true when you consider it, because the gods did on many occassions fight each other with ensuing casualties. It has always led me to question if there is such a thing as a true immortal in mythology in general. Dracula and his wooden stakes and garlic, werewolves and silver and to some extent wolfsbane. I guess a truly immortal boss makes a good story boring.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Fountain 2013 Essay Contest / Campus Dilemma..... / Love Diary Of A Shy Guy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.