Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,705 members, 7,827,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC (10139 Views)

NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   / Appeal Court Expunges Part Of APC’s Petition Against Wike / Over-billing: Abuja DISCO Refunding Money To Customers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by mukina2: 1:29pm On Jul 16, 2012
The Chairman, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, Mr. Sam Amadi, has said that electricity consumers can petition the agency against arbitrary billing by electricity distribution companies.

Amadi was speaking against the backdrop of complaints by post-paid electricity consumers in Lagos and Ogun states that they had been billed arbitrarily by distribution companies.

“Consumers can petition us once they are convinced that they have been billed arbitrarily,” Amadi told our correspondent on the telephone on Sunday.

Many of the customers complained that they received over 300 per cent increase in their June bills, following an approval by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission for a tariff increase with effect from June 1.

The post-paid customers usually get their bills the following month after usage.

The customers described their electricity bills for June (payable in July) as arbitrary, unjustifiable, and outrageous

http://www.punchng.com/business/financial-punch/electricity-consumers-can-petition-against-overbilling-nerc/
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by maclatunji: 2:09pm On Jul 16, 2012
Can't they run the process efficiently instead of torturing we the customers with outrageous bills in addition to poor power supply?

Who will pay for the additional cost and stress of "petitioning" over the ludicrous bills they have given us?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by miteolu(m): 2:18pm On Jul 16, 2012
So funny. Petition is not needed here let us deal & flog PHCN staff whenever they come to our houses for bill distribution or disconnection.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by ebamma(m): 2:30pm On Jul 16, 2012
3 days now we haven't had light in our area and this man is talking of billing,its better i use that money to fuel my generator.
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by stepo707: 2:35pm On Jul 16, 2012
Petition or bribe? undecided
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by SkyBlue1: 2:45pm On Jul 16, 2012
Or more people could just get pre paid meters. It isn't rocket science.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by Okijajuju1(m): 2:46pm On Jul 16, 2012
Sam Amadi should ignore them... If them vex, make them switch to pre-paid meter..
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:02pm On Jul 16, 2012
Okija_juju: Sam Amadi should ignore them... If them vex, make them switch to pre-paid meter..

bros as much i=as i agree with you, i also hope you are aware that the so-called pre-paid meters are not available?
when you apply for them, they wont give you on the premise that its not available/on the high seas.

and when its available they tell you only the 3 phase version is available, and then charge you an arm and a leg, plus "facilitation fee" to get it.

the day they bring it to your doorstep, the fool who brings it then demand s for 5 thousand naira to install it, else he will return it to the office (extortion btw, not legal charge)

so.... u see bros, its not that simple.

and honestly, before this hike in charges, they should have increased the push for the pre-paid meters. i cannot imagine the gruesome estimated bills they will bring to you, then disconnect you ASAP

1 Like

Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by Murphy7h4: 3:05pm On Jul 16, 2012
Very nice!
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by Okijajuju1(m): 3:15pm On Jul 16, 2012
4llerbuntu:

bros as much i=as i agree with you, i also hope you are aware that the so-called pre-paid meters are not available?
when you apply for them, they wont give you on the premise that its not available/on the high seas.

and when its available they tell you only the 3 phase version is available, and then charge you an arm and a leg, plus "facilitation fee" to get it.

the day they bring it to your doorstep, the fool who brings it then demand s for 5 thousand naira to install it, else he will return it to the office (extortion btw, not legal charge)

so.... u see bros, its not that simple.

and honestly, before this hike in charges, they should have increased the push for the pre-paid meters. i cannot imagine the gruesome estimated bills they will bring to you, then disconnect you ASAP

I cant even argue with you... I had to pull some big strings and grease some palms to get my prepaid meters in under 1 month..

PHCN are fuckers in this regard.. They hoard the bloody thing as if if they give you, you will be receiving electricity for free.. the rubbish amazes me. And to make matters worse, they are still selling postpaid meters.. WHY?!
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by Ogbodavies(m): 3:24pm On Jul 16, 2012
Na wa ooo,so i must include time wasting,money and lawye's fee for d so called PETITIONS cry
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by dedeike: 3:28pm On Jul 16, 2012
Let these consumers embrace the present transformation agenda. The minister is pursuing serious reforms anchored on pre paid metering, tariff review, privatization of PHCN.etc
We have a responsibility as citizens to key into these reforms by getting our own pre paid meters to avoid this old story of over billing or under billing.
Personally, I use a pre paid meter so I have no issues about billing. I regulate my usage and monitor what I pay. That is the way other developed countries run.
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by Tisa: 3:38pm On Jul 16, 2012
To the guys blaming people for not using prepaid meters, do u know that most consumers that applied for prepaid meters were given digital postpaid meters instead cos phcn staff in lagos n ogun enjoy the corruption that goes with post paid billing. There is nothing stopping phcn to outlaw postpaid meters to households and embark on replacement of all postpaid meters to prepaid meters if they are really serious but unfortunately they don't ve that kind of common sense cos corruption has enslaved them just has it has enslaved the whole nation.
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by slimming: 4:46pm On Jul 16, 2012
they should stop deceiving us with papers, they know the shortcoming of this people.
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by Depot(m): 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2012
Dat 1 concern una.Over 3 yrs nw,me neva pay 4 light.Govt. Light,na him i go pay.Na my own way of eating d national cake.
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by kupsonrex: 6:46pm On Jul 16, 2012
mukina2:

http://www.punchng.com/business/financial-punch/electricity-consumers-can-petition-against-overbilling-nerc/

Please somebody should help me out here.......I use prepaid meter of which i just bought voucher worth of =N=3,000 and low and behold i got only 144 unit in it.
Infact i was charged =N=1,000 as service charge instead of the usual =N=150.......This is outrageous
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by richyrich4life(m): 9:56am On Jul 17, 2012
Hmm, power problem, where are we heading to?
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by uncleb(m): 9:57am On Jul 17, 2012
Can someone give us the contact information to reach Sam Amadi? I mean his telephone number, twitter ID, Facebook ID and lets bombard him with question.

The same man who told us that prepaid meters are free, yet the devils in PHCN still collect between 35k and 80k for prepaid meters.

Anyway, whatever he said is irrelevant as far as am concerned, i have personally taken a step when i got my June bill which totals 7.1 k.

Please see below a copy of my letter to them, it pays me to be off their line so if they cant settle for how much i can pay let them come and remove their wire, its not by force.

July 16, 2012

The Area Manager
Power Holding Company of Nigeria Plc.
........ Business District
Lagos.

Dear Sir,
Re: Exorbitant Monthly electricity bill

I am the occupant of the above flat. With greatest displeasure, I want to bring to your attention the suffering and pain that I have gone through as a result of outrageous and exorbitant monthly billing on my flat by PHCN.

I have been enduring the exploitation and extortion by PHCN since 2011, but it has come to a height I cannot condone or bear any more, hence the reason for this complaint and appeal. For example, a cursory review of some of my previous bills shows as follows;
Month Amount (Naira) Month Amount(Naira)
March 2011 3,066 October t 2011 3,177
May 2011 3,066 Nov ember 2011 4,187
August 2011 3,108 January 2012 5,299
Sept 2011 4,153

It would interest you to know that some flats with family sizes more than twice of mine were not even billed as much as half of my bills during the periods highlighted above. It’s is more infuriating and disheartening that power supply has always being erratic and epileptic, so one cannot but wonder what then is the basis of these outrageous bills, when electricity is seldom available for use? Apart from the general power outage, the section where my house derives power is always beset with problems, resulting in us not having light even when there is light in the neighboring streets. This has persisted for over one year with PHCN not being able to find a permanent fix/solution, I cannot counts how many times there would be light on ........... but our area would not have light.

I received the greatest shock when June bill was delivered to me and I saw a total sum of N 7,061. Sir, I want to say unequivocally that I did not consume anything near this amount and I cannot for any reason pay it. I cannot be borrowing money to pay for electricity that I did not consume. It is easier to count how many times we had light than how many times we were left without it, so I want to know how PHCN came about 500 kwt they billed me for in June.

Please sir, I can only afford to pay N2, 500 for June and subsequent months. This is what my income can accommodate. I therefore appeal to you to use your good office for a reversal of the excess billing in June (i.e. N7, 006 – N2, 500) and also ensure that subsequent month(s) (pending the installation of prepaid meters in my flat) do not exceed this amount.

Currently, we are processing the prepaid meter installation to help in managing and regulating my electricity consumption. To this end, I have liquidated all outstanding on my bill as at May which accrued as a result of excessive billing over a period of time.

[b]During the intervening period(i.e. pending the installation of prepaid meter) , I cannot afford more than N2, 500 monthly as earlier stated. If this will not be possible with your current billing system, I volunteer to opt out of enjoying PHCN service (pending when I finally get the prepaid meter to guarantee the accuracy of my billing) so as to avoid any face-off or squabble with your official and also save me from the embarrassment and harassment for non- payment of bill. I am a law abiding person, I know now my duties and I perform them, I pay my bills for services I enjoy and I don’t like to owe anybody whether institution or [/b]individual.

Sir, my house is not a business center; neither do I have any equipment that consumes power in my house. I would kindly appeal to you in the interest of justice and equity to please put me in your shoes and help me to resolve this issue. I have to cry out at this moment because I cannot bear it any longer ,I have borne it for a year but it has been a heavy burden.

I will appreciate your kind and prompt action on the issues highlighted above.

Yours faithfully,

Cc:
I. Ikeja Regional Manager, PHCN
II. ...................Landlord
III. ....................Caretaker
IV. Barrister .............. (Personal Lawyer)
Re: Electricity Consumers Can Petition Against Over-billing - NERC by Everest9(m): 9:47am On Jul 18, 2012
problems they for naija

(1) (Reply)

Gunshots Rock PDP Primaries In Makurdi, One Injured / World Bank $800m: No Disbursement until States Submit Social Register - FG / ACN Distributes 100 Customized Mtn Recharge Card In Akure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.