Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,760 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? (2661 Views)

Should Men Be Forced To Pay For Kids They Didn't Want? / Should Men Get Paternity Leave? / Do Mothers-In-law Have A Say In Wedding Preparation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jul 18, 2012
Should men's opinion be considered if a woman decides to abort a pregnancy and he doesn't agree. Where I live, the law is very clear: it's solely the woman's decision to keepa pregnancy or not, and it doesn't matter whether she is married or not.

Morally speaking, should men be involved in this sort of decision that no matter what turn it takes, is going to mainly affect the woman?
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 18, 2012
I don't agree with abortion, unless it's due to health issues.

It takes a man and woman to make a baby, so I see no reason why the man's opinion shouldn't count. Only a selfish woman would abort a child, regardless of her partner's opinion, just because it's her body.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jul 18, 2012
Don't you think it would be selfish for the man to demand the woman gives birth against her will since she is going to be bearing most of the stress and pains that come with child bearing?
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 18, 2012
Siena: [s]I don't agree with abortion, unless it's due to health issues.[/s]

It takes a man and woman to make a baby, so I see no reason why the man's opinion shouldn't count. Only a selfish woman would abort a child, regardless of her partner's opinion, just because it's her body.

seconded!!!

@OP
the decision should be taken by BOTH of them, but if they disagree on the issue, then the ultimate decision should lie with the lady in question (regardless of the choice).....but at least she should inform the guy and hear what he has to say on the subject.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Jul 18, 2012
michelin89: Don't you think it would be selfish for the man to demand the woman gives birth against her will since she is going to be bearing most of the stress and pains that come with child bearing?

Was the woman r[i]a[/i]ped? Unless she was, then she knew that unprotected intercourse could lead to a pregnancy. So that makes her a selfish being. Just because she wanted her itch scratched for her own selfish pleasure, a child should be aborted. Then years later, when they can't conceive, they'll start whining how fate has dealt them a cruel blow.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by queensmith: 9:29pm On Jul 18, 2012
Of course not! Any woman that makes such a decision solely on the input of a man is very stupid for doing so. It is her body, she is solely responsible for it, the man is there by choice and can decide to skip anytime. A woman cannot chose whether she wants to be present during the pregnancy or childbirth. Women need to wise up to these things
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 18, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

seconded!!!

@OP
the decision should be taken by BOTH of them, but if they disagree on the issue, then the ultimate decision should lie with the lady in question (regardless of the choice).....but at least she should inform the guy and hear what he has to say on the subject.

What if the woman decides to get rid of the pregnancy without informing the man responsible for it?

Siena:

Was the woman r[i]a[/i]ped? Unless she was, then she knew that unprotected intercourse could lead to a pregnancy. So that makes her a selfish being. Just because she wanted her itch scratched for her own selfish pleasure, a child should be aborted. Then years later, when they can't conceive, they'll start whining how fate has dealt them a cruel blow.

Do you say a woman should give birth whether or not she wants and loves the child? Do you also suggest she gives the baby out for adoption? How many babies product of an unwanted pregnancy are adopted?

queensmith: Of course not! Any woman that makes such a decision solely on the input of a man is very stupid for doing so. It is her body, she is solely responsible for it, the man is there by choice and can decide to skip anytime. A woman cannot chose whether she wants to be present during the pregnancy or childbirth. Women need to wise up to these things

Men are unpredictable. To think some fathers only recognize their children only when they are doing well, I'm scared to think of how a man would accept a pregnancy he didn't plan all in the name of being responsible.

Siena keeps talking about the woman's responsibility, but what if the man doesn't want to know about the baby?
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jul 18, 2012
michelin89:
What if the woman decides to get rid of the pregnancy without informing the man responsible for it?

That would make her a very callous human being. She has no right to get rid of a pregnancy her partner is aware of, and has not denied being responsible for, without informing him.

michelin89:
Do you say a woman should give birth whether or not she wants and loves the child?

Do you say a woman should have consentual and unprotected s[i]e[/i]x, knowing full well it only takes once to create a pregnancy? She can't love her child, yet she has a healthy appetite for the very act that creates it?

michelin89:
Do you also suggest she gives the baby out for adoption? How many babies product of an unwanted pregnancy are adopted?

Adoption is preferrable to abortion, at least the baby has a fighting chance of being adopted by a loving couple that could give it the love its biological mother seems incapable of doing. If girls not prepared for motherhood kept their legs crossed, we wouldn't need to estimate how many products of unwanted pregnancies are adopted.

michelin89:
Men are unpredictable. To think some fathers only recognize their children only when they are doing well, I'm scared to think of how a man would accept a pregnancy he didn't plan all in the name of being responsible.

This is totally unrelated. Your thread title is quite clear - your above statement is a subject of another thread.

michelin89:
Siena keeps talking about the woman's responsibility, but what if the man doesn't want to know about the baby?

This is completely turning this thread around. Of course, if a man doesn't want his partner to abort their baby, we can rightly presume he DOES want to know about the baby. If he's denying responsibility, then obviously he would be all for his partner having an abortion.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 18, 2012
Siena:

This is completely turning this thread around. Of course, if a man doesn't want his partner to abort their baby, we can rightly presume he DOES want to know about the baby. If he's denying responsibility, then obviously he would be all for his partner having an abortion.

One thing is to say: I believe abortion is wrong and another thing is to say: I'll take care of the baby when they are born. The latter doesn't necessarily imply the former! Reason why I said men are unpredictable. Should a man state he is against abortion, is not enough guarantee that he'll actually take care of the baby. It may just be an act of conscience and not a responsible decision.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Johndoe100(m): 5:07am On Jul 19, 2012
Hmmm, I live in Nigeria (a country on the west coast of Africa). In my country we are black people and not very civilized, having just recently abandoned living in caves. The decision to keep a child is mostly (90%) that of the man as the foolish Arrow of a girl / woman and her greedy family will expecting him to fork out good cash for the brat.

@OP
Are there black people where you live?
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by PrettyCindy(f): 9:10am On Jul 19, 2012
The decision to keep a baby should be made by both of them. But unfortunately for the man, the woman has the upper power because its her body and she can manipulate her body however she wants. If she doesn‘t want to keep the baby but the man wants otherwise, she can abort the baby and later feign miscarriage. If the reverse is the case, she will successfully carry the pregnancy, deliver and take care of her baby with or without the man.

If you ask me, i think its total irresponsibility on the part of anyone whether male or female to engage in s.exual inte.rcourse without any form of protection knowing fully well that you are not ready to be a father or mother. Its better to prevent the pregnancy than committing murder. Believe it or not, from the moment conception takes place, a human has been created.

Talking from my own experience, me being the woman and my womb being inside my body + mercies of God played a major role. I was pregnant at the point of seperation fom ex husband, he told me flat out to abort the baby since we were seperating, i told him NO. He proceeded to physical abuse/battery to achieve his aim but i didnt miscarry. What am i saying? The bulk of the decision lies with the woman. If a women doesn‘t want to keep a baby, she has the (selfish) power to do anything she wants with her womb. Likewise if she wants to keep a pregnancy and is determined to do it, she will except extreme (wicked) measures are taken by the man. .......sorry for the long epistle........

2 Likes

Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 9:25am On Jul 19, 2012
PrettyCindy:
If you ask me, i think its total irresponsibility on the part of anyone whether male or female to engage in s.exual inte.rcourse without any form of protection knowing fully well that you are not ready to be a father or mother. Its better to prevent the pregnancy than committing murder. Believe it or not, from the moment conception takes place, a human has been created.

I like this, thank you, Cindy. You've nailed it ba[i]n[/i]g on the beam.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 19, 2012
Its sad that we have arrived at a point in civilization where we have started to debate over whose decision it should be to kill an unborn child. Why are we even getting pregnant outside of marriage in the first place?
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by MrAnony1(m): 10:15am On Jul 19, 2012
My thoughts on this: If a woman is going to kill her baby on the basis that it is her body. . . .and the man has no say in the matter, then following that same reasoning, the man should not be expected to play any part in raising the child when the child is born as it is NOT their baby but solely her baby.

You can't have it both ways. It is either "Our baby, Our child" or "Your body, Your child!".

as far as I'm concerned, abortion for convenience is murder. Sex outside marriage is immoral

2 Likes

Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jul 19, 2012
PrettyCindy, Siena, Davidylan and Mr Anony nailed it for you, Michelin89. I can tell you without mincing words that if I were a similar situation, it would be extremely difficult for me to forgive the woman involved. In fact, it would be impossible without the grace of God. She carries the baby and goes through the labor pains and has to nurse him/her for a length of time, so what? How does that negate the presence of half of me in that child? "Men are unpredictable" is quite a lousy excuse to destroy the world of possibilities that a child represents just because it's more convenient to do so!
Her body ke? Was it hers during the act that led to the pregnancy that has suddenly made it exclusively hers?
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 19, 2012
michelin89: what if the woman decides to get rid of the pregnancy without informing the man responsible for it?

that's wrong on so many levels....... the man has every rights to know the situation she finds herself in, and give his thought on the matter (whether she is going to abort or not). if these two people were mature enough to have unprotected sex together, then they should also be mature enough to sit down and solve the issue TOGETHER.

as for the ones who say that abortion is wrong, they should go and check how many Nigerian couples are adopting these unwanted kids, that ultimately end up on street corners begging for their next meals..............Nigerian men and their misplaced ego adopting another men's child? yeah right!!!

1 Like

Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by MrAnony1(m): 2:58pm On Jul 19, 2012
MRbrownJAY:
as for the ones who say that abortion is wrong, they should go and check how many Nigerian couples are adopting these unwanted kids, that ultimately end up on street corners begging for their next meals..............Nigerian men and their misplaced ego adopting another men's child? yeah right!!!

If you don't want to have kids, don't get pregnant.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
^^^ women do get pregnant for many different reasons....the fact that you AUTOMATICALLY believe that they did so because they wanted to have kids, is your first fail of the day.

many people dont want kids, wear protection, and accidents happen.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 19, 2012
MRbrownJAY: ^^^ women do get pregnant for many different reasons....the fact that you AUTOMATICALLY believe that they did so because they wanted to have kids, is your first fail of the day.

many people dont want kids, wear protection, and accidents happen.

If you dont want accidents to happen then dont have sex with someone you either dont see yourself being with longterm or someone you know is never going to be a good fit as a parent to your child.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jul 19, 2012
^^^people are different, and if you want to live such kind of lifestyle then fair enough, but there are many people out there that want to have sex with people that they know they are not going to marry, and thus use protection. to each their own!

btw: what if i am with someone that i view as my future wife or long term partner, but yet dont want children YET....should i also not have sex with them? lol!

to each their own!
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jul 19, 2012
davidylan:

If you dont want accidents to happen then dont have sex with someone you either dont see yourself being with longterm or someone you know is never going to be a good fit as a parent to your child.

If you don't want accidents, plain avoid intimacy altogether. Na must? If you can't help your itch, MrBrownJAY, you marry yo partner and deal with the "accidents". There is no scenario where abortion for convenience works out to be right.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 19, 2012
Ihedinobi:

If you don't want accidents, plain avoid intimacy altogether. Na must? If you can't help your itch, MrBrownJAY, you marry yo partner and deal with the "accidents". There is no scenario where abortion for convenience works out to be right.

nobody ever talked of marriage here...... but, if you believe that every married people SHOULD have children then we definitely have a different school of thought. people should have children because they made the important and wise decision to have any, no other reason.

if the wifey gets pregnant while they are not ready for it (aka accident) then they should take the necessary measure to solve the problem (aka abort) rather than bring a child into this world that they cant fully care for.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2012
In other words, if one doesn't want to get married or have kids, they shouldn't have sex to avoid accidents? Na wa o! undecided shocked shocked
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 19, 2012
^^^^sometimes the bible pushers make absolutely no damn sense, and this is one of those times.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by MrAnony1(m): 5:32pm On Jul 19, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

nobody ever talked of marriage here...... but, if you believe that every married people SHOULD have children then we definitely have a different school of thought. people should have children because they made the important and wise decision to have any, no other reason.

if the wifey gets pregnant while they are not ready for it (aka accident) then they should take the necessary measure to solve the problem (aka abort) rather than bring a child into this world that they cant fully care for.
I am sorry I don't quite follow your reasoning; why would you kill a child simply because you think you can't care for him/her?
Do you know the future? How do you know for sure that you won't be able to take care of the kid?
Is human life now so trivial and meaningless that you are willing to blot it out just because it doesn't fit in with your idea of what the future might hold, especially a future you have no control over?

If you have such an "accident", then by all means live with it. That's responsibility

Life is sacred, to destroy it because it won't be convenient for you makes you not much different from a cold blooded murderer.
The only time abortion can be permissible is when the life of the fetus threatens that of the mother.

MRbrownJAY: ^^^^sometimes the bible pushers make absolutely no damn sense, and this is one of those times.
Really? please explain to me the sense in killing a baby for the sake of convenience.

2 Likes

Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 19, 2012
MRbrownJAY: ^^^^sometimes the bible pushers make absolutely no damn sense, and this is one of those times.

I dont get it... i seriously dont. For starters where did we push the bible at you? So having an opinion contrary to yours is just because we push a bible? How about moral responsibility to you, your partner and your offspring? Absolutely idiotic responses like this from largely irresponsible "adults" can be nauseating.

michelin89: In other words, if one doesn't want to get married or have kids, they shouldn't have sex to avoid accidents? Na wa o! undecided shocked shocked

So exactly why are you having s[i]e[/i]x with someone you know you can never see yourself marrying? Is s[i]e[/i]x now a recreational activity?

1 Like

Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jul 19, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

awwww what a bunch of selfish, inconsiderate low lifes. Just go ahead and have s[i]e[/i]x all you want and if a baby results.... just kill him so we can go on having s[i]e[/i]x without the need to deal with the mature consequences of our irresponsible decisions right? Smart idea...

2 Likes

Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jul 19, 2012
davidylan:
So exactly why are you having s[i]e[/i]x with someone you know you can never see yourself marrying? Is s[i]e[/i]x now a recreational activity?

So in your opinion sex is meant only for procreation. Are you also against contraceptives?
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 19, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I am sorry I don't quite follow your reasoning; why would you kill a child simply because you think you can't care for him/her?
Do you know the future? How do you know for sure that you won't be able to take care of the kid?

do you think that the people that are having an abortion are clueless? these people know what it takes to properly care for a child /emotionally, physically and financially) and they decide that they care not ready.
why is it so difficult for anyone to understand?

Is human life now so trivial and meaningless that you are willing to blot it out just because it doesn't fit in with your idea of what the future might hold, especially a future you have no control over?

you DO have control of the future, as i doubt you can carry a child for 9months, if you consciously do not want to.
let us not even start on what is a human life......there is NOTHING human inside a woman who is less than 4 weeks pregnant, that "thing" doesnt even have a heartbeat yet.

If you have such an "accident", then by all means live with it. That's responsibility

no, responsibility is to SOLVE A PROBLEM, however you see fit.....instead of listening to people who would want to PUNISH you for having an acident, by adding another problem into your life (by having this child)

Life is sacred, to destroy it because it won't be convenient for you makes you not much different from a cold blooded murderer.
The only time abortion can be permissible is when the life of the fetus threatens that of the mother.

what life exactly are you talking about?

Really? please explain to me the sense in killing a baby for the sake of convenience.

what YOU should explain to us is the sense in forcing people to do what they are not willing to do. if someone wants to have a baby, then let them have it, and if someone doesnt, then let that person do what they believe is right.
people thinking like you is the reason why gazillions of kids are left to be rot at every street lights of 9ja begging for their next meal....or simply used for money rituals.

@Davidylan
come on bro, we all know who y´all are...... using the bible to force people into having children they A) dont want or B) cannot care for.
the only moral responsibilty anyone has is towards themselves, and therefore if THEY decide to ABORT, then that should be the end of the story.
saying that all people who have abortions are irresponsible is YOUR views, and you are entitled to them.....therefore let others have their own views too, instead of showing your immaturity by insulting them, duh!

sex has ALWAYS been a recreational thing, since the begining of time, educate yourself!

why dont you live your life the best YOU can, let others live theirs the best THEY can (so long as it aint against the law), instead of trying to force them to live the life YOU see fit for the world. lol!
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 19, 2012
I just looked it up and there are 4 birth control methods that sre 99% effective in preventing pregnancy. So there we go. People in a relationship who want to have intimacy can choose these options.
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 19, 2012
michelin89:

So in your opinion sex is meant only for procreation. Are you also against contraceptives?

Not a smart read on my comment at all. Obviously married couples have plenty of s[i]e[/i]x... they dont do so just to have kids but to have fun. the difference is that in the case of an accident, the resulting child is born into an environment conducive to raising him/her. In a situation where 2 knuckleheads who are barely adults themselves are just knocking themselves around... what do we do with the resulting "accident"? Resort to murder (which i support rather than having another unwanted mouth to grovel at the teat of the taxpayer while the irresponsible creators get to abdicate their responsibilities that is a result of their own actions)?
Re: Should Men (Single & Married) Have A Say Concerning Abortion? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 19, 2012
MRbrownJAY:
why dont you live your life the best YOU can, let others live theirs the best THEY can (so long as it aint against the law), instead of trying to force them to live the life YOU see fit for the world. lol!

who is forcing you? You are only reading my comments because its on a public forum. Do you think i care if you have 20 baby mamas? As long as i can vote to make sure baby mamas no longer get a pass with having a myriad of kids for irresponsible jailbirds with my tax dollars i could care less.

If you want to hump every ho like dogs on heat then be my guest.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How A Father Could Be Sexually Interested In His Daughter / For them Spies / She Regret Divorcing Her Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.