Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,795 members, 7,956,036 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:57 PM

Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? (756 Views)

NSCIA Warns Nigerian Govt., Military Against Creating Another Boko Haram / Nigerian Govt. Lied, UN Meeting It Failed To Attend Not “Unofficial” - PremiumT / Nigerian Govt. Companies Listed For Privatization (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by bilms(m): 3:20pm On Jul 18, 2012
In my opinion,No State or Fed. Govt in Nigeria has done anything for the purpose of making life better for its citizens, they instead do things for their own purpose and some times may turn out to be of little benefit to the people. In some other situations,they initiate a project to embezzle cash in the name of doing a project for the people. This explain why no single govt in the country can genuinely account for their spending,they award a contract worth 20m for 200m..Do are or disagree.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by gst101: 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2012
i dont agree with you. Yes there is corruption but there are still things on ground to show the govts effort. U said they award contract of 20m for 200m naira that is true but those roads which every one uses (rich and poor) are there. And not all the roads are bad. Some states offer free education. They even pay waec fee for their students. I know you would say that the edu is of poor standard but you still have to know that without the free edu, many people would be out of school. I really think we are too harsh on our govt. The govt has built over a hundred universities and many more polys and colleges of edu. Who are those who benefit? The ordinary people ofcourse! We have good structures in our schools eg ABU Zaria.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 18, 2012
bilms: In my opinion,No State or Fed. Govt in Nigeria has done anything for the purpose of making life better for its citizens, they instead do things for their own purpose and some times may turn out to be of little benefit to the people. In some other situations,they initiate a project to embezzle cash in the name of doing a project for the people. This explain why no single govt in the country can genuinely account for their spending,they award a contract worth 20m for 200m..Do are or disagree.

At independence in 1960 national literacy rate was 7% after 65 years of British rule. And there was not one single university in the country.

After roughly 50 years of independence, literacy rate stands at 74%, following the establishment of thousands of primary and secondary schools across the country, and 125 universities.

Infant mortality rate was 259 per 1000 at independence. Today it's 88 per 1000.

At independence owning a bicycle was considered a luxury and sign of middle class living, such was the level of poverty in the country.

Today, even those who own Jeeps and BMWs complain that things are not going well for them.

So there's been a vast improvement in living standards, courtesy of indigenous rule, despite all the prolems. In the long run, things will continue to improve.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by gst101: 5:52am On Jul 19, 2012
thanks rossike. That was a brilliant one! We are too harsh on ourselves. Nigeria is not that bad. @ poster all of the things rossike said where put in place by your govt. So you can see that not all the money is being embazzelled afterall.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by bilms(m): 6:08am On Jul 19, 2012
brb
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by OldHag: 6:24am On Jul 19, 2012
The Government have done a lot for the country, take a real good look around you, ok progress maybe slow but they are getting there.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by gst101: 6:55am On Jul 19, 2012
bilms: brb
where to. you started the thread so lets finish it. i think its a good thing you are raising this issue. it gives us the chance to know that we have been too harsh on our beloved country
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by oiseworld: 7:12am On Jul 19, 2012
to an extent i will say we are sometimes harsh to the govt. But considering the level of corruption that has gone and still going on, i will say we are not been harsh enough.
Once the govt takes care of the power problems and fix infracstucture which are one of its primary responsibilities, you'll see a change in tone from nigerians. These problems keep staring us in the face daily.

Secondly, the speed at which other countries have gone past us is also an issue of concern. Especially Brazil and indonesia.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by gst101: 7:48am On Jul 19, 2012
@oiseworld, i understand what you are saying. but let us not forget that we have a very difficult politic as a result of our history to the run up to independence. money (corruption) has to by used by government to get its way in some situation. eg the issue with mend. this is in other to appease a particular section of the country. all countries in the world do it
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by bilms(m): 8:36am On Jul 19, 2012
i have been trying to make a post,but it is not going thru. @gst101,i think u need to read the post again. @all, i am not saying the govt hasnt done anytin d people are benefing from,what am saying in that,they did those projects to pave way for easy stealing which is y they award a contract worth 20m for 200m. Even with that,the projects are still abandoned in some cases and at other time,less quality below that of 20m is deliverd and acceptd by d same govt dat awarded it for 200m.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by gst101: 8:50am On Jul 19, 2012
bilms: i have been trying to make a post,but it is not going thru. @gst101,i think u need to read the post again. @all, i am not saying the govt hasnt done anytin d people are benefing from,what am saying in that,they did those projects to pave way for easy stealing which is y they award a contract worth 20m for 200m. Even with that,the projects are still abandoned in some cases and at other time,less quality below that of 20m is deliverd and acceptd by d same govt dat awarded it for 200m.
pls look at the topic agian and see if actually expresses what you wanted to pass across
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by deandavid(m): 9:01am On Jul 19, 2012
my answer will be divided 60%-40%, 60 agree that the govt has nt really done things for nigeria, why 40% is they have actually done some things, my town now have a hospital and health centers everywhere, we have 2 public primary schools, a secondary schools. And in my lga we have 2 tertiary institutions(pti and fupre),so them don try small. BUT we can do much more better and greater 100 times than this, we have the manpower, resources, the brain and everything to be like the USA, our problem has been leadership, from the lg councellor to the president. Even we the followers,have problems, we vote in wrong people to rule us,(shagari, obj, gej) these were the people i knw we voted in by ourselves, even if they riggd a little,but they would have won all the same. Looking at those guys(shagarh,obj,gej), they dnt look intelligent, they are not vibrant, they dnt have charisma to drive nigeria to our dream.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 9:07am On Jul 19, 2012
Yes they have done a lot

They let us know we can embezzle money and get away with it,if we belong.

They have also given us another meaning to bribery.

And also they let know that POLICE HAS NO POWER OVER POLITICAL OFFICE HOLDERS.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jul 19, 2012
Childish talk
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by bilms(m): 9:42am On Jul 19, 2012
@oyin,very funny. @gst,the post is clear.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by Euroclydon(m): 9:48am On Jul 19, 2012
ROSSIKE:

At independence in 1960 national literacy rate was 7% after 65 years of British rule. And there was not one single university in the country.

After roughly 50 years of independence, literacy rate stands at 74%, following the establishment of thousands of primary and secondary schools across the country, and 125 universities.

At independence owning a bicycle was considered a luxury and sign of middle class living, such was the level of poverty in the country.

Today, even those who own Jeeps and BMWs complain that things are not going well for them.

So there's been a vast improvement in living standards, courtesy of indigenous rule, despite all the prolems. In the long run, things will continue to improve.

Very well said... The originator of dis thread is an ingrate and propably idle waiting for govt to do everything for him.what is democracy? you are also government.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by gst101: 10:44am On Jul 19, 2012
deandavid: my answer will be divided 60%-40%, 60 agree that the govt has nt really done things for nigeria, why 40% is they have actually done some things, my town now have a hospital and health centers everywhere, we have 2 public primary schools, a secondary schools. And in my lga we have 2 tertiary institutions(pti and fupre),so them don try small. BUT we can do much more better and greater 100 times than this, we have the manpower, resources, the brain and everything to be like the USA, our problem has been leadership, from the lg councellor to the president. Even we the followers,have problems, we vote in wrong people to rule us,(shagari, obj, gej) these were the people i knw we voted in by ourselves, even if they riggd a little,but they would have won all the same. Looking at those guys(shagarh,obj,gej), they dnt look intelligent, they are not vibrant, they dnt have charisma to drive nigeria to our dream.
for me, its 80-20. 80 performance 20 non performance. do any govt perform 100 percent?
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by bilms(m): 12:20pm On Jul 19, 2012
lol
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by RichDad1(m): 1:07pm On Jul 19, 2012
What are you'es talking about atleast this administration alone:
1.Subsidy Removal
2.New Number plate
3.New driving license
4.New Electricity tariff
5.Introduction of Facebook And twitter(more to come)
6.Introduction of cassava Bread. And so many others to mention.I beg free us let us'es enjoy our Fresh Y'air cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by Murphy7h4: 1:38pm On Jul 19, 2012
Good job!
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by bilms(m): 2:24pm On Jul 19, 2012
@gst, how do you arrive at 80/20%? lol
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by bilms(m): 4:23am On Jul 20, 2012
@rich,u no try o
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by dasparrow: 5:03am On Jul 20, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Well said!

Rich Dad: What are you'es talking about atleast this administration alone:
1.Subsidy Removal
2.New Number plate
3.New driving license
4.New Electricity tariff
5.Introduction of Facebook And twitter(more to come)
6.Introduction of cassava Bread. And so many others to mention.I beg free us let us'es enjoy our Fresh Y'air cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

You're such a clown! LOL grin grin grin
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by Nobody: 5:11am On Jul 20, 2012
Putrid Air.
Re: Has The Nigerian Govt Ever Done Anything For Nigerians? by bilms(m): 8:42am On Jul 20, 2012
govt after govt, its fresh air

(1) (Reply)

Suicide Bomb Attack On Nigeria Checkpoint Kills Eight / Do You Still Have Hope In Nigeria? What Would You Do. / What Is This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.