Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,857 members, 7,841,228 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

BMW Owners' Forum - Car Talk (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / BMW Owners' Forum (231867 Views)

Honda CRV Owners Forum / Nissan Xterra Owners Forum / Kia Owners Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (93) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 4:38pm On Nov 14, 2013
izyoku: ...everytime I read about cost of running a car especially the newer years I get very concerned. When am buying a car am a lost more concerned about buying atleast a relatively new car say 5years. I try to crosscheck previous maintenance history and if am buying from the auction I try to access the type of damage am buying. From my experience the newer the car the lesser the headache and cost of running the cars maximum I try to use mycars 2 - 3yrs I selloff and buy something newer low miles that way me and mechanics have very little business apart from regulat maintenance. If you buy a good car use it well and care for it you will spend less.
it depends on usage and not just the age of the car.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 7:27pm On Nov 14, 2013
izyoku: ...everytime I read about cost of running a car especially the newer years I get very concerned. When am buying a car am a lost more concerned about buying atleast a relatively new car say 5years. I try to crosscheck previous maintenance history and if am buying from the auction I try to access the type of damage am buying. From my experience the newer the car the lesser the headache and cost of running the cars maximum I try to use mycars 2 - 3yrs I selloff and buy something newer low miles that way me and mechanics have very little business apart from regulat maintenance. If you buy a good car use it well and care for it you will spend less.

Unfortunately not everyone has the means to do 5 years and less cars. But that is not also to say older cars don't last longer.
People look for what they can keep. While i can afford to buy the E60 i know that keeping it in top shape might be a challenge because of the cost of OEM/replacement parts and also normal or regular changes.

I believe the same applies to all other car owners. The key is to keep what you can afford and not just buy cos u can pay the one of cost of the care. BMWs in this case need SPECIAL attention. It is something you don't joke with else you will hate the car.

2 Likes

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by izyoku: 9:42pm On Nov 14, 2013
@emperoh very true. Your point is spot on bro...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by izyoku: 10:44pm On Nov 14, 2013
@yungboss true most times usage of any car is most important.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by uboma(m): 2:11pm On Nov 15, 2013
Finally gotten myself a beemer 92/93 325model. Its my first time using one. Wanna have a change from Jap automobiles. However, I want to get some parts from the famous Ladipo market. I should be in Lagos by the end of the month. Does anyone here have the contact details of any reliable Beemer spare parts dealer @ Ladipo? Please oblige me his contact details. I want to change my radiator that is cracked and the shocks behind.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 9:04pm On Nov 15, 2013
Watched a brief show days ago...... A E46 3-series chasing a E90 3-series.

The E90 appeared slow while a distance in lead while the E46 was screaming so hard 2 make up 4 pace.

The difference is clear!!
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 16, 2013
@yungboss:
yungboss: thought BMW was more costly to maintain smiley

An equivalent of a 2005 C class 4matic..... grin grin grin next time don't stray into the MB thread

If you want value, don't buy a BMW, lease it instead

By hmellem on 03/21/13 11:32 AM (PDT)
Vehicle
2005 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M) 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Review
I purchased a new BMW 325xi in the spring of 2005. It ran great the first 4 years without many problems. Then when the warranty expired 4 years later it all went south. My bills at the mechanic (not the dealership) were regularly in the thousands, not hundreds. I had to have the control arms replaced twice--fortunately the second time was under the mechanic's warranty. I then had to put about $3K into the engine 7.5 years after buying it. Finally the last straw was when the control arms had to be replaced for the third time. Got me for a tie rod assembly too-- almost $3K. This car is like an abusive spouse. Each time I thought it would be the last expensive repair. It never was.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 4:49pm On Nov 16, 2013
@yungboss:
yungboss: thought BMW was more costly to maintain smiley

An equivalent of a 2005 C class 4matic..... grin grin grin next time don't stray into the MB thread

Vehicle
2005 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M) 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Review
I purchased a new BMW 325xi in the spring of 2005. It ran great the first 4 years without many problems. Then when the warranty expired 4 years later it all went south. My bills at the mechanic (not the dealership) were regularly in the thousands, not hundreds. I had to have the control arms replaced twice--fortunately the second time was under the mechanic's warranty. I then had to put about $3K into the engine 7.5 years after buying it. Finally the last straw was when the control arms had to be replaced for the third time. Got me for a tie rod assembly too-- almost $3K. This car is like an abusive spouse grin grin grin cheesy shocked. Each time I thought it would be the last expensive repair. It never was.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:20pm On Nov 16, 2013
smartchoice: @yungboss:

Vehicle

Review
I purchased a new BMW 325xi in the spring of 2005. It ran great the first 4 years without many problems. Then when the warranty expired 4 years later it all went south. My bills at the mechanic (not the dealership) were regularly in the thousands, not hundreds. I had to have the control arms replaced twice--fortunately the second time was under the mechanic's warranty. I then had to put about $3K into the engine 7.5 years after buying it. Finally the last straw was when the control arms had to be replaced for the third time. Got me for a tie rod assembly too-- almost $3K. This car is like an abusive spouse grin grin grin cheesy shocked. Each time I thought it would be the last expensive repair. It never was.
do not be confused, or get yourself confused. Why did you copy a review and make a sweeping comment, have you read reviews about the Mercedes and it's attendant wiring/electrical problems from users,and the cost of fixing it up. I had a Mercedes before, so i guess you know YOU can't really tell me stories.
I never drove a BMW before I got one, just like you did, I read reviews- good and bad- and switched from Merc and have never regretted. (in response to "...stray into...thread" ).
Please do not rely solely on reviews to make your judgment. ASK THOSE WHO DRIVE BMWs FOR REAL ANSWERS.

1 Like

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 5:23pm On Nov 16, 2013
wiring issues in Merc of which year? Daimler Benz or Daimler Chrysler? wink
and you just strayed in due to one person's complain ain't it? wink

yungboss:
do not be confused, or get yourself confused. Why did you copy a review and make a sweeping comment, have you read reviews about the Mercedes and it's attendant wiring/electrical problems from users,and the cost of fixing it up. I had a Mercedes before, so i guess you know YOU can't really tell me stories.
I never drove a BMW before I got one, just like you did, I read reviews and switched from Merc (in response to "...stray into...thread" ).
do not rely solely on reviews to make your judgment. ASK THOSE WHO DRIVE BMWs FOR REAL ANSWERS.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:29pm On Nov 16, 2013
smartchoice: wiring issues in Merc of which year? Daimler Benz or Daimler Chrysler? wink

that means you do not know what you drive.
my colleagues c-class got inflamed on the highway, with his Children inside...it was other road users who helped him put out the flame when his extinguisher got exhausted in the process of fire-fighting. I rendered my apologies for not forewarning him. Mine was just on its way out before I sold it. Now google "wire harness issues with w202", I'm sure there'll be a few comments about it...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 16, 2013
Expiring wire harness which turns brittle after ten years? Then after buying you immediately change it to the Asian one which does not expire...abeg dont let mods hammer me for derailing.

yungboss:
that means you do not know what you drive.
my colleagues c-class got inflamed on the highway, with his Children inside...it was other road users who helped him put out the flame when his extinguisher got exhausted in the process of fire-fighting. I rendered my apologies for nit forewarning him. Mine was just on its wat out before I sold it. Now google "wire harness issues with w202", I'm sure there'll be a few comments about it...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:46pm On Nov 16, 2013
smartchoice: wiring issues in Merc of which year? Daimler Benz or Daimler Chrysler? wink
and you just strayed in due to one person's complain ain't it? wink

I read reviews about the BMW and switched from Mercedes, the main issue with BMW is the cooling system. Every other concern comes as a result of natural wear and tear. I never had overheating issues with my cars since i have used them...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:49pm On Nov 16, 2013
smartchoice: Expiring wire harness which turns brittle after ten years? Then after buying you immediately change it to the Asian one which does not expire...abeg dont let mods hammer me for derailing.

This is the mistake many people make in life, not just about this simple conversation we have, but generally. This is a case of making excuses for our mistakes and nailing the next person for exactly the same mistake.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 16, 2013
oga don't wax philosophical here, just open a thread for this discussion n lets meet there

yungboss:
This is the mistake many people make in life, not just about this simple conversation we have, but generally. This is a case of making excuses for our mistakes and nailing the next person for exactly the same mistake.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 5:57pm On Nov 16, 2013
smartchoice: oga don't wax philosophical here, just open a thread for this discussion n lets meet there

you can as well open the thread, and let us hear from those who have used both cars...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 6:20pm On Nov 16, 2013
uboma: Finally gotten myself a beemer 92/93 325model. Its my first time using one. Wanna have a change from Jap automobiles. However, I want to get some parts from the famous Ladipo market. I should be in Lagos by the end of the month. Does anyone here have the contact details of any reliable Beemer spare parts dealer @ Ladipo? Please oblige me his contact details. I want to change my radiator that is cracked and the shocks behind.

Thanks in advance.
congrats, we have not finished yet please pardon my mistakes...didn't know it was coming this fast.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by uboma(m): 7:08pm On Nov 16, 2013
yungboss:
congrats, we have not finished yet please pardon my mistakes...didn't know it was coming this fast.

It's okay bro. No hard feelings. And sure, we will still remain best e-buddies. I will rely on your expertise when i have issues with my Beemer.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 9:31pm On Nov 16, 2013
A 2007 E90 325i with idrive, bluethooth, back-up camera plus lot more is up for grabs at about...........#2mil. Is it worth it considering the fact is Naija used. Its well maintained by the doctor owner who is selling 2 upgrade 2 an F10 5series.

My friend is checking it out 2moro pls house what should he be particular about. He wanted a 335i but I told him since his a first time user he should start small(325i).

Pls house ur suggestions are welcomed.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 9:32pm On Nov 16, 2013
A 2007 E90 325i with idrive, bluethooth, back-up camera plus lot more is up for grabs at about...........#2mil. Is it worth it considering the fact is Naija used. Its well maintained by the doctor owner who is selling 2 upgrade 2 an F10 5series.

My friend is checking it out 2moro pls house what should he be particular about. He wanted a 335i but I told him since his a first time user he should start small(325i).

Pls house ur suggestions are welcomed. As soon as I can get the pics will post them.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by JUO(m): 10:58pm On Nov 16, 2013
he is starting with BMW that machine is like audu 80 tiger face. When fuse cut mechanic go tell am say na brain box. why don't he start little?
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 11:02pm On Nov 16, 2013
JUO: he is starting with BMW that machine is like audu 80 tiger face. When fuse cut mechanic go tell am say na brain box. why don't he start little?

What's ur point?? Dnt buy?. How small can it get, its not a 335i or 330i. For him it has 2 be a beemer.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Gee2728(m): 11:03am On Nov 18, 2013
I and my friend went 2 check the E90 325i yesterday. It was graphite black I think, it had a lot of gadget. It came with the sport package and navigation/idrive. had a little over 120k miles on it. every stuff seems 2 work fine for the time we spent with the car except for a warning light that reads ENGINE SERVICE SOON..

The car also had a badly looking fix on the front fender on the passenger side and to cap it up the whole car will need a re spray. The tires were still in good condition he has a spare in the trunk which obviously he was extra because the car came with run flat and so no spare.

PRICE......... His lip sealed, asking us to make him an offer. My friend is good for 1.8mill

Sadly was carried away by that sweet revving I6 I completely 2 take pics of the car.

House pls on the little info I've given, need ur advice for a 1st time buyer. Tnx
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 11:47am On Nov 18, 2013
Ok, another BMW shopper in the house.
I saw this sweet looking E39 last night on Copart. it is a 530i
I had wanted a 525i cos of fuel. . . . .but who can guide me, is he difference in consumption that much?
I know the 525i has a consumption capacity almost that of a 4 cylinder engine.

Click this link to see more on the pics and advice. http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e1s1&lotId=27987983&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

I am also put off by the fact that it was a manual drive. But that is an incentive in a way.

Whatdo you guys think? I won't bid more than $5k for it.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by kuntash: 11:51am On Nov 18, 2013
Gee2728:

The car also had a badly looking fix on the front fender on the passenger side and to cap it up the whole car will need a re spray.

PRICE......... His lip sealed, asking us to make him an offer. My friend is good for 1.8mill

Sadly was carried away by that sweet revving I6 I completely 2 take pics of the car.

House pls on the little info I've given, need ur advice for a 1st time buyer. Tnx

The fender work could mean an accident must have occurred ... a really clean E90 could go for between the 1.8-3M, it all depends. remember its from year 2006...

as @ today in naija, I would opt for an E46 still (2004-2005) . specifically with the M54B30 engine, reason being affordability as well as competence in support and maintenance. the N52 or N54 could still pose a challenge to our everyday support by many engineers.

The revving and performance of an M54B30 would make you happy as well... remember , its got lots of awards to its credit too.....

body parts could be cheaper as well, since you dont drive in isolation,. the new okada line in the name of keke marwa are everywhere seeking your side mirrors and rear lights to crack..

choice is yours however..... best of luck.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Shagati(m): 12:06pm On Nov 18, 2013
kuntash:
body parts could be cheaper as well, since you dont drive in isolation,. the new okada line in the name of keke marwa are everywhere seeking your side mirrors and rear lights to crack ..

So true. grin
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by kuntash: 12:13pm On Nov 18, 2013
Emperoh: Ok, another BMW shopper in the house.
I saw this sweet looking E39 last night on Copart. it is a 530i
I had wanted a 525i cos of fuel. . . . .but who can guide me, is he difference in consumption that much?
I know the 525i has a consumption capacity almost that of a 4 cylinder engine.

Click this link to see more on the pics and advice. http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e1s1&lotId=27987983&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

I am also put off by the fact that it was a manual drive. But that is an incentive in a way.

Whatdo you guys think? I won't bid more than $5k for it.

I was almost wondering if this is the emperor I sabi on Nairaland grin, what kinda guide u need again, knowing very well that the quality of petrol dispensed at our pumps are not same quality as what these oyinbo car makers recommended thus using to judge their MPG.

having said that, you know also that a manual tranny taste for fuel is less than that of an auto drive.....

The M54B30 fuel mpg which is in that car as far as I am concerned could be negligible compared to the younger broda of M54B25 that's in 525i (Manual drive), even though you would get more torque and power.

The most important thing is to keep your car in top shape and timely maintenance is the key... and put at the back of your mind that our kinda fuel here cannot give you the city miles of 18miles per 3,77 liter of fuel.

moreso, when the car lands, check for lots of things like the catalytic converters, it would amaze you that these things are sometimes removed at the ports...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 2:40pm On Nov 18, 2013
kuntash:

The fender work could mean an accident must have occurred ... a really clean E90 could go for between the 1.8-3M, it all depends. remember its from year 2006...

as @ today in naija, I would opt for an E46 still (2004-2005) . specifically with the M54B30 engine, reason being affordability as well as competence in support and maintenance. the N52 or N54 could still pose a challenge to our everyday support by many engineers.

The revving and performance of an M54B30 would make you happy as well... remember , its got lots of awards to its credit too.....

body parts could be cheaper as well, since you dont drive in isolation,. the new okada line in the name of keke marwa are everywhere seeking your side mirrors and rear lights to crack..

right kuntash,
@Gee,
unfortunately I do not know much about the e90, the reason why I didn't respond. It will be expensive to run, he's a Doctor he would have some good money to spare when the need arises smiley
but if I were him, I'd carry out a scan first, if it is body work,I do not think it would be so much of a problem to restitute. Invite a competent mechanic to inspect the car. Careful study of the owner's manual would go a long way in understanding the car.
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 7:29pm On Nov 18, 2013
kuntash:
I was almost wondering if this is the emperor I sabi on Nairaland grin, what kinda guide u need again, knowing very well that the quality of petrol dispensed at our pumps are not same quality as what these oyinbo car makers recommended thus using to judge their MPG.

having said that, you know also that a manual tranny taste for fuel is less than that of an auto drive.....

The M54B30 fuel mpg which is in that car as far as I am concerned could be negligible compared to the younger broda of M54B25 that's in 525i (Manual drive), even though you would get more torque and power.

The most important thing is to keep your car in top shape and timely maintenance is the key... and put at the back of your mind that our kinda fuel here cannot give you the city miles of 18miles per 3,77 liter of fuel.

moreso, when the car lands, check for lots of things like the catalytic converters, it would amaze you that these things are sometimes removed at the ports...

Uncle Kuntash!!!
Good to read from you again!!!! Been a while. E be like u sabi this BMW wella. Make we yarn nah? Drop me your contacts thru the email on my signature. I go halla you for phone!

Meanwhile, auto sales intelligence no be mechanical knowledge oo. I love them German cars but there was a reason i left a more appealing Audi A4 for Benz and BMW. So it means i am looking for practicability and cost effective German car shocked shocked grin grin grin [size=5pt]which german car cheap to keep self?[/size]

Anyway, i will try out that BMW and see how it goes. Won't bid more than $5000.
In the mean time, drop me ya digits make i halla you grin grin
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by tdie: 7:44pm On Nov 18, 2013
Emperoh:

Uncle Kuntash!!!
Good to read from you again!!!! Been a while. E be like u sabi this BMW wella. Make we yarn nah? Drop me your contacts thru the email on my signature. I go halla you for phone!

Meanwhile, auto sales intelligence no be mechanical knowledge oo. I love them German cars but there was a reason i left a more appealing Audi A4 for Benz and BMW. So it means i am looking for practicability and cost effective German car shocked shocked grin grin grin [size=5pt]which german car cheap to keep self?[/size]

Anyway, i will try out that BMW and see how it goes. Won't bid more than $5000.
In the mean time, drop me ya digits make i halla you grin grin

We, the Audi owners feel flattered. Lol. Can see you finally decided to go Bavarian. All the best in your quest...
Re: BMW Owners' Forum by Emperoh(m): 8:53pm On Nov 18, 2013
t-die:

We, the Audi owners feel flattered. Lol. Can see you finally decided to go Bavarian. All the best in your quest...

I used to love the A4 until i lost count of the number i entered with sagging roof and door liners.
Had a nasty feel. I also loved the ambience the light gives the car. But somehow the reliability is still an issue for me.
My cousin uses a 2003 1.8T passat and i know what he is facing now.

By the way, i just did a Carfax check and saw last reported odometer: 200,065 shocked shocked shocked shocked
Meanwhile i am seeing 77572 on the advert on Copart!! Oyibo don dey odometer roll back ooo!!! angry angry angry angry sad sad sad

This is so displeasing!!! That's an instant turn off!!!!

AccidentCheck

Reported accidents: 0

Title and ProblemCheck

Your vehicle checks out!

OdometerCheck

Your vehicle checks out!
Last Reported Odometer: 200,065
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Vehicle Use and EventCheck

Specific vehicle use(s) or events reported
AccidentCheck

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=922209e89f&view=att&th=1426cac5eeaab12b&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P8nz9oYRpU80wagFo10QHlL&sadet=1384804243582&sads=5R4BpE2TKAu60yjy_h1OwTeTApY&sadssc=1

Re: BMW Owners' Forum by yungboss(m): 9:13pm On Nov 18, 2013
Emperoh, thought you wanted the e46.
it seems you are falling in love with the bigger brother...I'm surprised at the mileage rollback...one has to really be careful...

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (93) (Reply)

Club-Lexus / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.