Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,525 members, 7,954,984 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:38 PM

Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment (1961 Views)

"Wow Karma Just Caught Them" Please Follow Me Read This..oh Nigeria / Jonathan Commissions DHQ Radio At Mogadishu Cantonment / Bewarned Oh!! Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Chief06: 5:33pm On Jul 19, 2012
Source http://www.9jalife.com/2012/07/19/oh-nigeria-my-experience-at-the-ikeja-cantonment/

Saturday the 14th of July is a day I’ll never forget. It was a day
that I realized that in Nigeria the more things change, the more they
go from bad to worse.

My wife and I were invited to a wedding reception at the Ikeja
Cantonment of the Nigerian Army. However, we weren’t just going as
regular guests, as I had been humbled by the bride and groom with a
request to be the Chairman of the Wedding reception. Not one to say
no, I agreed.

The wedding was due to start at 2pm; in light of the role I was to
play, and in order not to be the cause of any delay in the ceremony,
my wife and I made sure we got there before 2pm, we actually arrived
at 1:45pm.

Once we got to the gate, we were stopped by three security officers,
one had on a blue shirt with black trousers, one had on the green
apparel of the military police, and the third was in civilian
clothing. The officer in the blue uniform asked the driver to lower
the window so he could speak to him. The driver complied with the
request, only to be asked to lower the windows in the back as well so
he could speak to the people in the back seat ( my wife and I) .
Again, the driver complied.

At this point in time, the security man took a look at my wife, who
incidentally was dressed in Aso Ebi and then declared “Madam, you
cannot enter the barracks!”

“Why?” my confused wife asked, to which he replied “Can’t you see you
are Oyinbo, the Ministry of Defense has declared that no Oyinbo is
allowed to enter any military barracks and that is final!” “Kilode” my
wife replied in Yoruba, stating that she is Oyinbo in skin only,
having lived in Nigeria most of her life.

On my part, trying to appeal to his common sense, I asked him if it
would make a difference that my wife and I had been married for about
40 years, with 30 years of our union being spent residing in Nigeria,
and that she was also a Nigeran citizen by virtue of marriage. Getting
rude and impatient, the officer retorted by saying he doesn’t care if
she had been in Nigeria for 100 years, she was not coming in as “Oga
had given the order”. I asked if I could see the C.O, to which he
replied with a “No.”

I then proceeded to ask what his name was, to which he replied
“Intelligence at the gate is my name”, obviously getting impatient he
then indicated that I can come in, but my wife was barred, and if I
dared argue further, he would ensure our “vehicle got shattered with
bullets.”

The whole encounter left me wondering. Is it possible that one man at
the gate of a public institution can decide to unilaterally create
laws that go against the laws of the land? After all, nowhere in
Nigeria’s Constitution is freedom restricted based on skin color.

Ultimately, we decided to leave the officer at the gate to his own
devices, called the bride and groom to say we would not be able to
make it in, and went about doing what we had on our agenda for the
rest of the day.

Dr. Fola Daniyan

1 Like

Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Afam4eva(m): 5:46pm On Jul 19, 2012
Nigeria, i hail thee.
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by collozzuz: 6:02pm On Jul 19, 2012
Clueless pple....shaking my head for my dear country...discrimination at it's peak...
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 19, 2012
Some of us who have lived abroad have seen far worse. Do you know how many blacks have been killed in custody by UK police? Or beaten up, stripped and searched for no reason in the US? When investigation commences it goes on for several years and at the end nothing comes of it. Officers still serving in the force, due to ''no evidence of misconduct''. Till today, blacks are 5 times more likely to be stopped and searched by police in the UK and US than whites. So sorry my dear oyibo woman who was refused entry into Ikeja Cantonment. At least you're lucky you weren't shot like your oyibo brothers regularly do to our brethren in your country. In fact I reckon people like you should experience MORE of such ''discrimination'' in Nigeria, not less, so you can appreciate exactly what it's like. In fact if I see that officer at Ikeja Cantonment I will dash him money for his efforts.

2 Likes

Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 19, 2012
This reminds me of one time I went to Jamaica. I flew there from the UK with my Jamo babe. At the airport in Kingston, the officials made sure they allowed the black passengers to pass with no problem. The white passengers (especially the males) were subjected to rigorous searching of their persons and belongings, and many were delayed pending thorough searching and questioning. I told my babe ''wow... these your Jamaicans are real men. In Nigeria we are still at the stage where we let these idiots pass through without the merest harassment, while we search and harass our own people''.

In fact the difference was clear. The Jamaicans are all too aware of how these whites treat blacks in their countries, and reciprocate accordingly, while we in Nigeria are still doing houseboy. Rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by dkc(m): 6:27pm On Jul 19, 2012
ROSSIKE: Some of us who have lived abroad have seen far worse. Do you know how many blacks have been killed in custody by UK police? Or beaten up, stripped and searched for no reason in the US? When investigation commences it goes on for several years and at the end nothing comes of it. Officers still serving in the force, due to ''no evidence of misconduct''. Till today, blacks are 5 times more likely to be stopped and searched by police in the UK and US than whites. So sorry my dear oyibo woman who was refused entry into Ikeja Cantonment. At least you're lucky you weren't shot like your oyibo brothers regularly do to our brethren in your country. In fact I reckon people like you should experience MORE of such ''discrimination'' in Nigeria, not less, so you can appreciate exactly what it's like. In fact if I see that officer at Ikeja Cantonment I will dash him money for his efforts.

is tit-for-tat the solution?
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
dkc:

is Ti.t-4-Tat the solution?

YES. ABSOLUTELY YES.
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by dkc(m): 6:33pm On Jul 19, 2012
ROSSIKE:

YES. ABSOLUTELY YES.

then go ahead and treat any white that comes your way the way they treated your fore-fathers
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 19, 2012
Who is talking of forefathers? We are talking of the way they treat black people TODAY. Or are you dense??

I normally treat people equally, white or black, but I reserve the right to discriminate against whites at any time, based on the conduct of their people towards non-whites.

2 Likes

Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by dkc(m): 6:39pm On Jul 19, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Who is talking of forefathers? We are talking of the way they treat black people TODAY. Or are you dense??

yesterday or today. it should be part of the pay back process.

Are all blacks in US & UK treated the way you mentioned or your brothers who choose to stoop so low to be rubbished by the whites?
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jul 19, 2012
dkc:

yesterday or today. it should be part of the pay back process.

Are all blacks in US & UK treated the way you mentioned or your brothers who choose to stoop so low to be rubbished by the whites?

There you go blaming the black victims of discrimination for their misfortune. In fact it is people like you that allow them to treat blacks like scum. Always finding a way to rationalize ill-treatment of, and discrimination against blacks, while standing like a bodyguard slave in defence of white peoples' rights to be treated fairly. Ridiculous. I won't even dignify your stup.id question with a response.

2 Likes

Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 19, 2012
hmmmmmm. Nija!!!
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by T9ksy(m): 6:48pm On Jul 19, 2012
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by dkc(m): 6:52pm On Jul 19, 2012
ROSSIKE:

There you go blaming the black victims of discrimination for their predicament. In fact it is people like you that allow them to treat blacks like scum. Always finding a way to rationalize ill-treatment of, and discrimination against blacks, while standing like a bodyguard slave in defence of white peoples' rights to be treated fairly. Ridiculous. I won't even dignify your stup.id question with a response.

face the facts buddy, how would you treat me if i smuggle my way into your country, engage myself in menial jobs, etc? like someone with dignity or no esteem? how many whites do in naija what your brothers are doing abroad, just to claim they've travelled oversees?
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by wesley80(m): 6:55pm On Jul 19, 2012
dkc:

is tit-for-tat the solution?
No sir I'd rather we tried nyash for tat! grin The point is these things do happen, Sometimes here in Naija and most times in the so called civilized world but it should be put down to the particular individuals that failed as humans to allow their humanity and common sense prevail and it's very unfair to rub this on all Nigerians simply cos a Nigerian failed somehow.
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by fagamite: 7:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
Why did that ediot marry Oyinbo in the first place?

1 Like

Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jul 19, 2012
dkc:

face the facts buddy, how would you treat me if i smuggle my way into your country, engage myself in menial jobs, etc? like someone with dignity or no esteem? how many whites do in naija what your brothers are doing abroad, just to claim they've travelled oversees?

Face the facts buddy, how should I treat you if you come into my country, use your millions to bribe low paid officials and then spill tons of oil into the creeks costing millions of people their livelihoods and damaging the environment out of your greed? How many blacks in Europe do that in Europe just to get rich?

See, ANYONE can rationalize why they need to treat others like scum. Shame you lack the brains to understand this.

2 Likes

Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 19, 2012
fagamite: Why did that ediot marry Oyinbo in the first place?

she could be a spy.its possible the soldier was obeying instructions.

1 Like

Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by tpia5: 8:29pm On Jul 19, 2012
any updates on the zimbabwe farmers?

just curious.

@ topic

check with the relevant quarters i suppose.

or just move on.

those of us who are overseas get all kinds of dumped on by all kinds of people- its not every problem that has a solution.

but if you want to make an issue of it- your prerogative.

i gat my own stuff i'm dealing with.

1 Like

Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by tpia5: 8:30pm On Jul 19, 2012
but yes, i suppose the soldier should have made an exception.

i dont know jare.
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 19, 2012

YOU ARE SO STUPID.
chima12: she could be a spy.its possible the soldier was obeying instructions.
YOU ARE EVEN WORSE. SMH. WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE THESE?
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by jamace(m): 10:57pm On Jul 19, 2012
The soldier's action was correct.
It was just unfortunate that the guest was not aware of that law in the barracks and thereby exposed his "onyibo" wife to ridicule.
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by koruji(m): 3:53am On Jul 20, 2012
Sorry to hear about your awful experience at the hands of illiterates that call themselves "intelligence at the gates". The fools that give such orders and the mumus that enforce them are all prostrating out of sight to even lower-level foreigners.

I hope you are not discouraged by the double-down silliness displayed by many of the replies below - obviously balance and common-sense are not attributes that some brought with them on the day they entered this world.

I am at a loss at the distance between where Nigeria needs to be and where most Nigerians, especially those at the top, are when it comes to reasoned behavior.

Chief06: Source http://www.9jalife.com/2012/07/19/oh-nigeria-my-experience-at-the-ikeja-cantonment/

Saturday the 14th of July is a day I’ll never forget. It was a day
that I realized that in Nigeria the more things change, the more they
go from bad to worse.

Dr. Fola Daniyan
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by koruji(m): 3:59am On Jul 20, 2012
This is just silly reasoning. Even if there were such a law it is not to be applied by looking at skin color. What if the woman is actually a citizen?

It is not even clear whether such laws are constitutional. If Ikeja cantonmnent is supposed to be "a high security area" then it should not be a place for a marriage ceremony.

An arbitrary nation continues to develop arbitrarily.

jamace: The soldier's action was correct.
It was just unfortunate that the guest was not aware of that law in the barracks and thereby exposed his "onyibo" wife to ridicule.
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by koruji(m): 4:02am On Jul 20, 2012
Unnecessary jingoism!!!

Two wrongs don't make a right - and if the world were to live on retaliation how long do you think the febble "intelligence at the gates" could hold up.

ROSSIKE: Some of us who have lived abroad have seen far worse. Do you know how many blacks have been killed in custody by UK police? Or beaten up, stripped and searched for no reason in the US? When investigation commences it goes on for several years and at the end nothing comes of it. Officers still serving in the force, due to ''no evidence of misconduct''. Till today, blacks are 5 times more likely to be stopped and searched by police in the UK and US than whites. So sorry my dear oyibo woman who was refused entry into Ikeja Cantonment. At least you're lucky you weren't shot like your oyibo brothers regularly do to our brethren in your country. In fact I reckon people like you should experience MORE of such ''discrimination'' in Nigeria, not less, so you can appreciate exactly what it's like. In fact if I see that officer at Ikeja Cantonment I will dash him money for his efforts.
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by dasparrow: 4:47am On Jul 20, 2012

God bless you jare. Ah! When I read the post, I just shrugged my shoulder because the crap that I have been through and still go through living in the western world can make me write a 1000 page book. Most Nigerians back in Nigeria treat oyibo people like some semi-gods. I am actually suprised that Dr. Daniyan's wife was not 'worshipped' like is the norm most of the time in Nigeria.

Ordinarily, I am not someone who applauds rascism or any other type of bigotry but bro, after what I have experienced living in the white man's world, I can care less what happens to oyibos in Nigeria and even in other black nations. I know two wrongs don't make a right but if more whities get a taste of their own medicine, in other words experience what it feels like to be treated so badly based on something we did not choose but rather were born with (skin colour), then they will think twice before acting rascist towards black folks in their respective home countries and maybe even rebuke their fellow whities each time they make rascist comments about people of colour.

Abeg next!
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by dasparrow: 4:50am On Jul 20, 2012

LOL cheesy Na inferiority complex cause am. You should know by now that many Nigerians suffer inferiority complex. Many feel that by marrying a white person, that will place them on a different level. Oh how wrong they are. They should learn from president Obama. He is married to a well educated black american woman and enjoys some good black loving and not some pinkish loving. lol
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by koruji(m): 7:21am On Jul 20, 2012
You don't solve the problem by encouraging crass illegality. This is the same behavior that encouraged the Nigerian police to deport black Nigerians on the way to Abuja becos they looked like "troublemakers" and the "headman" gave orders to keep those out.

Dr. Daniyan and his wife should sue the mgt of the Ikeja cantonment.

dasparrow:

God bless you jare. Ah! When I read the post, I just shrugged my shoulder because the crap that I have been through and still go through living in the western world can make me write a 1000 page book. Most Nigerians back in Nigeria treat oyibo people like some semi-gods. I am actually suprised that Dr. Daniyan's wife was not 'worshipped' like is the norm most of the time in Nigeria.

Ordinarily, I am not someone who applauds rascism or any other type of bigotry but bro, after what I have experienced living in the white man's world, I can care less what happens to oyibos in Nigeria and even in other black nations. I know two wrongs don't make a right but if more whities get a taste of their own medicine, in other words experience what it feels like to be treated so badly based on something we did not choose but rather were born with (skin colour), then they will think twice before acting rascist towards black folks in their respective home countries and maybe even rebuke their fellow whities each time they make rascist comments about people of colour.

Abeg next!
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by lanre80(m): 7:21am On Jul 20, 2012
@poster sorry 4 d embarasment doc.
u see d man on duty is only following instruction. Militaries are tot 2 follow instructions 2 d letter especially wen on duty. D instruction may b whites are not 2 enter d barrack 4 wat eva reason.Wether d white is nigerian is irrelevant because of instruction. While on duty they must avoid bridge of such instruction. In context he may kill 2 avoid violation of d instruction. He's not expected to contact d cso for a standing instruction which may look incompetent
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by koruji(m): 7:30am On Jul 20, 2012
To much generalization. Falling in love is an art, not science. I doubt there are many mix race couples motivated by inferiority.

The fallacy of your reasoning is that u use BO as an illustration against mix race marriage, but BO himself is the product of a mix race marriage.

dasparrow:

LOL cheesy Na inferiority complex cause am. You should know by now that many Nigerians suffer inferiority complex. Many feel that by marrying a white person, that will place them on a different level. Oh how wrong they are. They should learn from president Obama. He is married to a well educated black american woman and enjoys some good black loving and not some pinkish loving. lol
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by antitpiah: 8:02am On Jul 20, 2012
koruji: To much generalization. Falling in love is an art, not science.

True, but how is that related to this thread? Is there no Nigerian that the fo/o/l/i/s/h chief could have fallen in love with? If he could fall in love with a fat White woman, I bet you there are thousand lepa-shandies of Yoruba/Nigerian descent he could have fallen in love with as well had he not allowed inferiority complex to cloud his judgement.

I doubt there are many mix race couples motivated by inferiority.

You may or may not be right, but that has nothing to do with what you responded to. Multiracial couples in America and the West may not be motivated by inferiority because to a large extent, there is a lot of common grounds; language, culture, geography, outlook, experience, etc. That cannot be said of multiracial couples with vast amount of differences, like the case of this deluded, fake chief from Nigeria. The desire by Nigerians to marry Whites is often born of a disdain for themselves and an unconscious drive to erase themselves from the gene pool stemming from their inborn inferiority complex

The fallacy of your reasoning is that u use BO as an illustration against mix race marriage, but BO himself is the product of a mix race marriage.

The fallacy of your reasoning is that BO's parents were never married. BO was born out of wedlock, so Dasparrow's statement is still every valid
Re: Oh Nigeria! My Awful Experience At The Ikeja Cantonment by Lisa1: 8:17am On Jul 20, 2012
Thanks for sharing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Before Gej's Cabinet, Barth Nnaji Invented The 'e-design Concept' In The US / 2015 ELECTION- Yorub/hausa Alliance That Will Unseat GEJ / Anambra Sai Soludo - The Soludon (APGA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.