Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,210 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? (1267 Views)

Ohanaeze Chief Threatens Igbo Will Secede If Marginalised / Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation / State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Mandelaguy(m): 3:22pm On Jul 21, 2012
There are already 56 requests for state creation at the upper house(senate) and the true question is,is there equity in the existing staes structure,how would you like balance to be struck,does Nigeria need more states? Which area needs states more than others? Sentiments should be kept aside.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Captainajama: 7:23pm On Jul 21, 2012
I have been watching this your thread,the political critics will not rush this one because it does not have GEJ in it....anyway,state creation is a necessity,not by over blowing the whole thing,but by restoring parity and equality where it is supposed to be. The Igbo's need an additional state to balance with other regions....most people may not understand why it is very necessary, I will give you some reasons.
1. Development: when other regions are getting allocations and developing their regions from our joint resources,the south eastern region lags
2. Appointments: the current trend is for every state to have representation at the federal level,and with 5 states instead of 6 like other regions,we the Igbo's are been marginalised.
3. Political positions: the south east presents fewer house members(senators and rep members) than other regions and that weakens our hands in political manoeuvres.
4. Positions and employment: quota system has become the other of the day,and in essence,we are been cheated when it comes to positions and employment. Gradually,our region produces the least number of people each time recruitments and positions are advertised,and that does not bode well for us.
5. Promotions.: those in the civil service can tell you how that goes. For instance,if there are 40 vacant positions at the management level,it gets shared according to geo political regions,now imagine wha spbecomes of the south east.

I am not raying to take the tribal line,I am simply asking for the fairness to be implemented because the op asked what is fair and it still surprises me that when the issue of state creation Mae up,all the other regions still came up asking for this state and that state. Anyway,let us keep watching our brothers from these other regions to see how fair he can be.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Mandelaguy(m): 7:57pm On Jul 21, 2012
Captainajama: I have been watching this your thread,the political critics will not rush this one because it does not have GEJ in it....anyway,state creation is a necessity,not by over blowing the whole thing,but by restoring parity and equality where it is supposed to be. The Igbo's need an additional state to balance with other regions....most people may not understand why it is very necessary, I will give you some reasons.
1. Development: when other regions are getting allocations and developing their regions from our joint resources,the south eastern region lags
2. Appointments: the current trend is for every state to have representation at the federal level,and with 5 states instead of 6 like other regions,we the Igbo's are been marginalised.
3. Political positions: the south east presents fewer house members(senators and rep members) than other regions and that weakens our hands in political manoeuvres.
4. Positions and employment: quota system has become the other of the day,and in essence,we are been cheated when it comes to positions and employment. Gradually,our region produces the least number of people each time recruitments and positions are advertised,and that does not bode well for us.
5. Promotions.: those in the civil service can tell you how that goes. For instance,if there are 40 vacant positions at the management level,it gets shared according to geo political regions,now imagine wha spbecomes of the south east.

I am not raying to take the tribal line,I am simply asking for the fairness to be implemented because the op asked what is fair and it still surprises me that when the issue of state creation Mae up,all the other regions still came up asking for this state and that state. Anyway,let us keep watching our brothers from these other regions to see how fair he can be.
My brothers, I have more things to say on this matter o! I prefer to wait and hear reasonable people speak on this matter,I will try to be an impartial judge,but I know it will not be easy. They will pee and run like you said because they know the truth and will not speak out to side it(self acclaimed truth speakers) but if na Jona matter I present here,they for don de make noise .
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Mandelaguy(m): 8:21pm On Jul 21, 2012
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/54569-senate-committee-receives-56-requests-on-states-creation.html, 56 is way too much,the military leaders wer not completely fair and it's having negative effects here n there.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Captainajama: 10:33pm On Jul 21, 2012
I have taken time to examine the states up north with their LGA's and monthly allocations,and it baffles me on what criteria the states were created,landmass? They definitely do not have more population than their counterparts down the south,so why would Kano and Katsina have combined 74 LGA's while the entire south east has 95 LGA's?(Abia-17,Ebonyi 13,Imo -27,Enugu-17,Anambra-21) and we cannot get at least one or two more states? Most of those local govts In the far north have a population less than a thousand and they only appear the days they want to pay salaries or share money(yet they are states). We spend our money servicing something that should not be.....or tell me why a state has been carved out of Old Kano with the same number of local govt as Lagos state while Kano still has 40 LG's to still boast with,......baba Mallam! It's unfair and change must be effected. I urge the senate, house of reps and Nigerians home and abroad to judge this matter
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Captainajama: 10:09am On Jul 22, 2012
Captainajama: I have taken time to examine the states up north with their LGA's and monthly allocations,and it baffles me on what criteria the states were created,landmass? They definitely do not have more population than their counterparts down the south,so why would Kano and Katsina have combined 74 LGA's while the entire south east has 95 LGA's?(Abia-17,Ebonyi 13,Imo -27,Enugu-17,Anambra-21) and we cannot get at least one or two more states? Most of those local govts In the far north have a population less than a thousand and they only appear the days they want to pay salaries or share money(yet they are states). We spend our money servicing something that should not be.....or tell me why a state has been carved out of Old Kano with the same number of local govt as Lagos state while Kano still has 40 LG's to still boast with,......baba Mallam! It's unfair and change must be effected. I urge the senate, house of reps and Nigerians home and abroad to judge this matter
The people I am calling on would wish for their own states where it would be easy for hem to become gov'ors or assume the status of godfathers,selfishness seriously comes into play in this matter.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 22, 2012
nigeria does not need any more states! if the igbos are complaining that they have only five states then how many states do the nupes,tivs,kanuri,ijaws have? these whole geographical zone argument is flawed! afterall abacha was the one who created geographical zones!

a break down of the eight tribes with the most number in nigeria goes;

1.yoruba : kwara,lagos,oyo,osun,ogun,ekiti,ondo.
2. igbo : anambara,enugu,ebonyi,imo,abia.
3.fulani : sokoto,katsina,bauchi,gombe.
4. hausa : zamfara,kano,jigawa.
5. tiv : benue.
6. kanuri : borno.
7. ijaw : bayelsa.
8. nupe : niger.

lets not use sentiments remove the geographical zone thing that was created by abacha and you will see igbos are not marginalised!
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Mandelaguy(m): 10:56am On Jul 22, 2012
torkaka: nigeria does not need any more states! if the igbos are complaining that they have only five states then how many states do the nupes,tivs,kanuri,ijaws have? these whole geographical zone argument is flawed! afterall abacha was the one who created geographical zones!

a break down of the eight tribes with the most number in nigeria goes;

1.yoruba : kwara,lagos,oyo,osun,ogun,ekiti,ondo.
2. igbo : anambara,enugu,ebonyi,imo,abia.
3.fulani : sokoto,katsina,bauchi,gombe.
4. hausa : zamfara,kano,jigawa.
5. tiv : benue.
6. kanuri : borno.
7. ijaw : bayelsa.
8. nupe : niger.

lets not use sentiments remove the geographical zone thing that was created by abacha and you will see igbos are not marginalised!
You got it all wrong,the Igbos cannot be brought into the same league with TiV,kanuri,Ijaw,nupe etc. we have more population than even the hausa fulani put together and most of the major cities in this country have the Igbos making up 1/3 of the entire population because we are the most spread in this country. Marginalized? Sure we are!
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by superior1: 11:26am On Jul 22, 2012
We dont need more states, infact i think we already have too many. Creation of more states will only increase cost of administration (as we will have more governors, Special advisers, commisioners etc to pay) and reduce the fund available for development.

There were not has many states during the era of ZIK and co but we do have serious infrastructural development. We need to return back to true federalism and allow all regions to manage their resources(and yes, South South should have their oil). We need to decenteralise the Federal Government and give more strength to Local Governments. This will force each region to look inward and perhaps groundut in the North, oil Palm in the east and Cocoa in the Southwest will once raise again.

If this country will not look ahead beyond the current feeding source (oil), then i am sorry to say, this country has got no future
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 22, 2012
Mandelaguy: You got it all wrong,the Igbos cannot be brought into the same league with TiV,kanuri,Ijaw,nupe etc. we have more population than even the hausa fulani put together and most of the major cities in this country have the Igbos making up 1/3 of the entire population because we are the most spread in this country. Marginalized? Sure we are!
if you are talking population then please explain to me what number of population determines one state,what number determines two states,what number determines five states and what number determines six?
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Mandelaguy(m): 10:25pm On Jul 22, 2012
torkaka:
if you are talking population then please explain to me what number of population determines one state,what number determines two states,what number determines five states and what number determines six?
And you think land mass should be a criteria to create states? Is this why you have rushed to create a post against the Igbos? You are too petty then!
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Murphy7h4: 2:12am On Jul 23, 2012
Great
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Mandelaguy(m): 6:56am On Jul 23, 2012
People can say all the like,but Nigeria's wealth and development has been streamlined on ethnic and state lines,where states cry about not been given the required platform an support for development. This was created and nurtured by past administrations,and now,if states must be created,the Igbo's should and must be given top priority in the said affairs and should be made to balance with other geo-political zones.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by SkyBlue1: 7:15am On Jul 23, 2012
superior1: We dont need more states, infact i think we already have too many. Creation of more states will only increase cost of administration (as we will have more governors, Special advisers, commisioners etc to pay) and reduce the fund available for development.

There were not has many states during the era of ZIK and co but we do have serious infrastructural development. We need to return back to true federalism and allow all regions to manage their resources(and yes, South South should have their oil). We need to decenteralise the Federal Government and give more strength to Local Governments. This will force each region to look inward and perhaps groundut in the North, oil Palm in the east and Cocoa in the Southwest will once raise again.

If this country will not look ahead beyond the current feeding source (oil), then i am sorry to say, this country has got no future

I concur. In fact I am strongly in favour of reverting back to regions and won't mind a six region type arrangement.

When we speak of fairness in Nigeria, what exactly do we mean? I ask this question because sometimes when people speak of fairness they only speak in regards to their own aspirations and fairness as it benefits them. It is the same reason why people saw presidential rotation (a dumb idea to begin with) between six regions as fair even though we have over 50 ethnic groups.

Instead of fairness let us speak of equity. And with regards to fairness, unless you are prepared to have a state for each ethnic group I say park this fake "fairness" by the roadside. What is even fair in having more states that cannot support themselves and have to rely on handouts from resources obtained from other states?

I say a new prerequisite to forming state should be a signed agreement that such new states would receive NO federal allocation. Period. There are a good number of states that contribute very little to the Nigerian project and are burdens as things currently stand.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Captainajama: 8:45am On Jul 23, 2012
It is only blind people and liars that will deny the reasons for the creation of state before and after the war. Let us not open old wounds o! Truth must be spoken,because it is that truth that made the emergence of Ijaw man as a president a bitter pill for some to swallow.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Mandelaguy(m): 10:05am On Jul 23, 2012
All this issue of state creation is as a result of allocation sharing. If states are to manage their resources,no one would care about the centre and corruptin will drastically reduced.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by superior1: 3:44pm On Jul 23, 2012
Mandelaguy: All this issue of state creation is as a result of allocation sharing. If states are to manage their resources,no one would care about the centre and corruptin will drastically reduced.

Truth
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Captainajama: 4:52pm On Jul 23, 2012
Matter of fact,Igbos are marginalised,whether you like it or not.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by superior1: 4:56pm On Jul 23, 2012
Captainajama: Matter of fact,Igbos are marginalised,whether you like it or not.

Care to explain why or how?
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jul 23, 2012
The fact has been clearly stated here that the underlying reason for the clamour for state creation is the an aspiration for a greater share of oil revenues. The Igbos are better served by demanding a return to regionalism where resources and appointments are shared by zones rather than states within a zone (Not that I subscribe to this money-sharing thingy anyway).

The main point is that we need to take our minds off what we can get from the centre, and think instead of what we can contribute. If all state governors could carry out regional integration by identifying areas of comparative advantage and focusing on exploiting them, we wouldn't have this issue of state creation.

Stop consuming, start producing.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by PointB: 5:39pm On Jul 23, 2012
Captainajama: I have been watching this your thread,the political critics will not rush this one because it does not have GEJ in it....anyway,state creation is a necessity,not by over blowing the whole thing,but by restoring parity and equality where it is supposed to be. The Igbo's need an additional state to balance with other regions....most people may not understand why it is very necessary, I will give you some reasons.

You spoke my mind on this.

I believe two states should be created for the SE Zone, if Nigeria is to continue with the entrenched Zonal system. Anioma certainly should be one of such states.

Fair is fair! And only fairness will encourage unity and harmony in the country. In a situation where some zones have 7 states, others 6 state, it is grossly unfair, and unjust to leave the SE Zone with just 5 states. The implication is even more glaring in a country where ethnic and zonal affiliations, federal character, quota system and many other criteria which bear not kinship with competency, and meritocracy are employed in the scheme of things. This injustices must end, sooner rather than later!
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Captainajama: 5:57pm On Jul 23, 2012
HNosegbe: The fact has been clearly stated here that the underlying reason for the clamour for state creation is the an aspiration for a greater share of oil revenues. The Igbos are better served by demanding a return to regionalism where resources and appointments are shared by zones rather than states within a zone (Not that I subscribe to this money-sharing thingy anyway).

The main point is that we need to take our minds off what we can get from the centre, and think instead of what we can contribute. If all state governors could carry out regional integration by identifying areas of comparative advantage and focusing on exploiting them, we wouldn't have this issue of state creation.

Stop consuming, start producing.
The fact in issue remains that the Igbo travails started immediately after the civil war,and every govt that has come has systematically and strategically avoided repositioning the Igbo's. It is only this govt that has shown they have nothing to fea b the appointment of Ihejirika and Pius Anyim. But the fundamental issue that needs to be addressed must be addressed.
Captainajama: I know that greed will not allow them agree to revert to the old region style,so I will be stupid to advocate for that,but the important issues that spell marginalization, a creation of the military era and past govts must be addressed for us to stop shouting marginalization in the South East and South South.
5. Promotions.: those in the civil service can tell you how that goes. For instance,if there are 40 vacant positions at the management level,it gets shared according to geo political regions,now imagine what becomes of the south east.

I am not rallying to take the tribal line,I am simply asking for the fairness to be implemented because the op asked what is fair and it still surprises me that when the issue of state creation came up,all the other regions still came up asking for this state and that state. Anyway,let us keep watching our brothers from these other regions to see how fair they can be.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by jumobi1(m): 9:02pm On Jul 23, 2012
We needs only 6-8 states however Senators and Reps won't approve because it would mean a fewer number of them in government.

States should create their own wealth so state creation won't be an issue. We need self sustainable states not leaches.

Representation in the federal level should be based on population though and I think it is.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Mandelaguy(m): 4:41pm On Jul 24, 2012
If there is genuine quest for equity,a few number of states should be created with the south east getting top priority,because I don't see the Nigeria of today reverting to pre civil wa status quo. Maybe we should take the number of states to 40 with the south east getting one,the Ijaw nation getting another,then middle belt and one mixture of south east,middle belt and other ethnic set ups as it is in kwara with equal representation. The North does not need a new state,not now or n the nearest future.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Captainajama: 12:18am On Jul 25, 2012
jumobi1: We needs only 6-8 states however Senators and Reps won't approve because it would mean a fewer number of them in government.

States should create their own wealth so state creation won't be an issue. We need self sustainable states not leaches.

Representation in the federal level should be based on population though and I think it is.
We have developed more than ha level of 6-8 states,but,looking at he level of greed and hunger for power no one will agree in state reduction,rather,we should balance the equation with south east favoured more.
Re: STATE CREATION,WHAT IS FAIR,ARE WE MARGINALISED? by Mandelaguy(m): 7:04am On Sep 15, 2012
Captainajama: We have developed more than ha level of 6-8 states,but,looking at he level of greed and hunger for power no one will agree in state reduction,rather,we should balance the equation with south east favoured more.
Now, the presidency is seeing the sense in giving south east the balance that has eluded them for a long time. This is goodnews,Nigerians should shun selfish interest and embrace fairness,equity and peace.

(1) (Reply)

Inec To Disqualify Willy Obiano(apga) From Contesting Anambra Election / APC: The Success So Far / President Jonathan Scared Of Apc's New Plans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.