Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,101 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 03:24 AM

State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet (5576 Views)

Why Buhari Can't Help Saraki's In His CCT Trial —S'East APC / Finally, APC Zones Speaker To Southwest, SGF To S'east / Oritsejafor Snubbed As Sultan, Oonaiyekan Others Meet Over 2015-elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by Ikengawo: 5:03am On Nov 28, 2012
S'East govs, others meet over state creation

From Lawrence Njoku, Enugu

South-east-Governors-2012

AN effort to harmonise various state creation agitations in the South-East began on Monday as its governors met in Enugu with political leaders and interests groups in the zone over the issue.

The South-East is currently faced with about seven state demands spreading across the zone. At present, the zone has five states.

The demands, which dominated the zonal public hearing on constitutional review, recently include Adada, Equity, Orashi, Etiti, Orimili, Njaba, Aba and Anim state.

At the meeting on Monday held at the Government Lodge were Governors Peter Obi (Anambra), Rochas Okorocha (Imo), Martin Elechi (Ebonyi) and Acting Governor of Enugu State, Sunday Onyebuchi. Theordore Orji (Abia) was absent.

Former Governor Achike Udenwa of Imo State, Senator Ayogu Eze, erstwhile Presidents-General of Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Justice Eze Ozobu (rtd) and Dr. Dozie Ikedife, one-time Information Minister, Nnia Nwodo and traditional rulers among others.

Although Obi who presided over the meeting refused to give details of their deliberations, it was however learnt that the agitators agreed to abide by whatever decision the governors would reach on the issue.

"It was a preliminary meeting just to hear what state agitators are presenting. What we achieved was that the agitators agreed to abide by whatever decision our governors will take on the issue. There will be more meetings and negotiations," the source said.

Okorocha, who however spoke to journalists, said that the meeting looked at the possibility of uniting the zone for a common goal and cause in Nigeria.

He said that for the first time, the Igbo people had agreed to speak with one voice, stressing that the desire of the governors would be to sustain and maintain the cordiality in the interest of the zone.

Okorocha said that the state creation matter would be "concluded as soon as possible" and assured that the zone was on the same page in that regard.

"What we will ensure is that at the end of the day, the nation will be happy with our decision and the rest of Ndigbo will also be happy with us on the issue," he added.
http://odili.net/news/source/2012/nov/27/10.html
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by geez1: 5:49am On Nov 28, 2012
While SW governors are meeting on Regional Integration.

It's a clear difference of some people seeking more opportunities to develop while some are looking for more of the treasury to loot
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by TableLeg(m): 9:29am On Nov 28, 2012
useless vagabonds ... Meeting over state creation when there are urgent and pressing matters to be addressed!
Pssst
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by christ4mi(f): 9:30am On Nov 28, 2012
Not a news, 2nd to comment. While the North Govs are meetingto prepare for 201.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by Demdem(m): 9:30am On Nov 28, 2012
Useless People. As if states creation is our main challenge now. We should be talking about scrapping states that will lead to regionalism will hopefully will lead to regions controlling their resources and not states creation.

besides Ekeremadu has already stated that states wont be created.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by KINGwax(m): 9:30am On Nov 28, 2012
Let's meet on how to create jobs dude. Call me when you're really serious
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by maygah(f): 9:31am On Nov 28, 2012
Why more state creation? What re dis this idiots finkin undecided another avenue to loot money
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by Melancholy(m): 9:49am On Nov 28, 2012
Atleast if they are not sure of getting the presidency come 2015, i think state creation should be the next agenda.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by baysol: 9:51am On Nov 28, 2012
No be so so fight go end this chop chop meeting about who go be the next governor of the new states? My eyes are pilled we go see wetin go come out of this one.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by PointB: 10:00am On Nov 28, 2012
Under the current Zonal Arrangement, the SE is clearly the Zone marginalised in numbers of States per Zone. The wise Governors of East have our mandate to pursue the request for extra state(s) to logical conclusion. Those who wear the shoes know where it pinches.

Furthermore, our (SE Zone) commitment to Regionalism based on linguistic, ethnic and cultural similarity cannot be overemphasized. This stand is very much in line with request for extra state(s).

Now let me ask those who join issue with the SE Governors, what have your governors said or done in support of regionalism and resource control?

4 Likes

Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by soma042(m): 10:00am On Nov 28, 2012
Table Leg :
useless vagabonds ... Meeting over state creation when there are urgent and pressing matters to be addressed!
Pssst

is good to know that people like you are aready coursed, so i got no problem with you. is this useless vagabond m.o.d that im angry with for giving agbero's so much space on this bigot forum
mitcheeeeew

1 Like

Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 28, 2012
Table Leg :
Pssst

your contributions sound like your name Table Let.... what are the pressing matters.... ward-rope cover
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by TableLeg(m): 10:08am On Nov 28, 2012
soma042:
is good to know that people like you are aready coursed, so i got no problem with you. is this useless vagabond m.o.d that im angry with for giving agbero's so much space on this bigot forum
mitcheeeeew

Skybancs:
your contributions sound like your name Table Let.... what are the pressing matters.... ward-rope cover

Wednesday nitwits!
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by somegirl1: 10:28am On Nov 28, 2012
States should be scrapped altogether
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by omowolewa: 10:43am On Nov 28, 2012
I support the S'east on this issue. We 'southerners' need two additional states.

19Northern(plus Abuja) state Vs. 17 southern state puts North at an undue advantage when it comes to the issue of Two-third majority. Both in the NASS and governors' forum.

However, regional government will address the heterogeneous nature of our country better than state creation.

1 Like

Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by ujukala: 10:53am On Nov 28, 2012
Now, they are really behaving like brothers which is what they are.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by Nobody: 11:14am On Nov 28, 2012
Even T A Orji? shocked
What is that man smoking?! Go and fix ur state my friend!!!
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by emron1(m): 11:23am On Nov 28, 2012
well at least they are trying to have a common goal but on a more serious note I think ekweremadu has a great plan with his idea of constitutionally recognition of the geopolitical zones.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by harmless011: 11:35am On Nov 28, 2012
tchidi: Even T A Orji? shocked
What is that man smoking?! Go and fix ur state my friend!!!

The dude is not present at the meeting, maybe he is still at york street in Aba smoking
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by londoner: 11:42am On Nov 28, 2012
Hopefully, they also discussed matters which they can work together on. Trade, transport links, commerce etc.

1 Like

Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by Nobody: 11:44am On Nov 28, 2012
harmless011:

The dude is not present at the meeting, maybe he is still at york street in Aba smoking

Haha!! That man needs to be flogged till he acknowledges the fact that his incompetence stinks!!
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 28, 2012
you need the approval of atleast 24 state houses of assembly before a state is created! i am yet to see the magic that would be done for this states to ignore their own agitation for states (as of last count 58) and support some one else!!
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by Abagworo(m): 12:15pm On Nov 28, 2012
Nigerians are generally sick. What's the use of State creation? The present number of States is more than enough for our small country and region. Let us seek for ways to manage our meager resources than to create more avenue for waste. I'm even thinking of wiping off State house of assembly and federal house of assembly and en-power LGAs for Government to reach the grass roots. The cost of running Government and politicking in Nigeria is probably the highest in the whole world coupled with the available loopholes for personal enrichment.

The only understandable State that can be created in Nigeria is even Anioma even though in South-south at present. I still think the State creation issue should be dumped for good.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by TableLeg(m): 12:27pm On Nov 28, 2012
Skybancs:
Flipping nuisance ... Come and run your mouth again now? Anuofia!
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by PointB: 12:37pm On Nov 28, 2012
omowolewa: I support the S'east on this issue. We 'southerners' need two additional states.

19Northern(plus Abuja) state Vs. 17 southern state puts North at an undue advantage when it comes to the issue of Two-third majority. Both in the NASS and governors' forum.

However, regional government will address the heterogeneous nature of our country better than state creation.

Thank you jare. I wonder why some people are so myopic, that they can even see that one of the reason we are not moving forward as a nation is that progressive ideas can be vetoed by those who have majority votes in the legislative (read North). The same people we are counting on to 'legislate' on revolutionary ideas such as regionalism, state police, resource control etc. Without the numbers (an offshoot of more states in the south) we will be stuck in idealistic postulation. It's as simple as that.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by markus1133: 12:46pm On Nov 28, 2012
agree...not news
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by petrov10: 2:36pm On Nov 28, 2012
Table Leg :
Pssst
...bull
Table Leg :
Pssst
...bull
Table Leg :
Pssst
...bull
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by luvmijeje(f): 2:37pm On Nov 28, 2012
@Pointb do u know they are also creating more state in north.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by luvmijeje(f): 2:38pm On Nov 28, 2012
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by COOLDUN: 3:08pm On Nov 28, 2012
This is an irrelevant gathering, what is importance of new state creation while the ones created since 70s are still under developed? They want to breed another 3 criminals as senators , other national assembly looters, one head crook governor, another useless first lady, other conditioners/sorry commissioners , other lazy head thugs known as PA s,we need to come together as one region instead of this demarcation they call state creation. There was more Love, unity, sincerity and development, during the regional system. I don’t want anybody to touch my Imo state again. I love the set up of the state, with capital at the center of the state Owerri.

I am an Orlu Indigene but I love Imo state passionately. Let us remain one and indivisible Imo states, while we pray for Leaders like, Late Dr M.I Okpara, Late Dr Francis Akanu Ibiam, Late Dim C.O.Ojukwu, Owelle Rocahas Okorocha, Dr Chris Ngige, and Late Dee Samuel Onunaka Mbakwe. Imolites we have come so long to be divided, divided we fall, united we stand. Join me to say no to the new state creation in Igbo land. But say yes to the united South East. With visional dedicated, sincere, hardworking and God fearing brave leaders not coward rulers.

State creation is never what the politicians make us to believe, it is their settlements. Imagine new state with governors like Theodore Orji, and Martin Elechi? What will you expect? Regional system is better; let us leave tribalism and sentiment. SW people are right in their regional government agitation. State creation is a continuation of the Divide and Rule. When you are divided you will never speak with one voice again.

1 Like

Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by Ikengawo: 3:09pm On Nov 28, 2012
omowolewa: I support the S'east on this issue. We 'southerners' need two additional states.

half of the states you're forcefully labeling as north don't see themselves as north. We should also stop foolishly calling Abuja north or a state, it's neither.
Re: State Creation: S'east Govs, Others Meet by PointB: 3:11pm On Nov 28, 2012
luvmijeje: @Pointb do u know they are also creating more state in north.

Provided all regions have equal numbers of state and reps to the National Asembly, than fair enough.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports / Goodluck Jonathan: A Sectarian President-barcanista / Cut Off Points Admission Into The Federal Government Colleges (unity Schools)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.