Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,027 members, 7,814,509 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

Bakassi Indigenes Threaten To Reclaim Ceded Peninsula To Cameroon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bakassi Indigenes Threaten To Reclaim Ceded Peninsula To Cameroon (704 Views)

Cameroonian Gendarmes Force Bakassi Indigenes To Leave Their Homeland / Bakassi Indigenes Reject Cameroon / Bakassi Indigenes Threaten To Return Back To Bakassi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Bakassi Indigenes Threaten To Reclaim Ceded Peninsula To Cameroon by INFO70: 8:30am On Jul 23, 2012
Displaced Bakassi indigenes, have threatened to return to the oil-rich Peninsula ceded by International Court of Justice to the Republic of Cameroon, claiming that United Nations and Federal Government deceived and abandoned them.

The people alleged that they were being harassed, molested and killed by the Cameroon gendarmes and that fishermen from Cross River State were not allowed access to the peninsula for fishing contrary to the Green Tree Agreement.
Briefing newsmen, weekend, spokesman of the displaced people and paramount ruler of Bakassi Local Government Area, Etinyin Etim Edet, said that they had exhausted their patience waiting for the international community and Federal Government to fulfill the promises made to them as well as settle them in their new place all to no avail.
Etinyin Edet, who is also chairman of the state Council of Chiefs, said that having waited for almost 10 years for the Federal Government to act and show good faith without any hope in sight, the Bakassi people had decided to demand for the return of their homeland, which he said was given out without a referendum.
The monarch said: "This is to inform all Nigerians, that the youths of the area are already restive and I as the paramount ruler cannot stop them from resisting now what they consider an unfair treatment by ICJ, UN and Nigeria, which ignored the human cost of their action."
"With total abandonment by Nigeria, the youths threaten to go back to the creeks to render the entire Gulf of Guinea inaccessible to oil and maritime exploration activities in collaboration with their Niger Delta compatriots and their northern sympathizers.
"They had threatened that before October 10, 2012, they will take back their Bakassi in whatever means possible if urgent steps were not taken by Federal Government to redress the above. Nigerians should bear me witness that I had tried my best over period from the day of the ICJ judgment till today to maintain peace and order within the affected population. I can no longer guarantee that peace."
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Threaten To Reclaim Ceded Peninsula To Cameroon by Biggyd2: 9:15am On Jul 23, 2012
This is part of OBJ's legacy. It is quite unfortunate, but it seems that this government only responds when people become violent. They live in denial until disaster comes knocking.
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Threaten To Reclaim Ceded Peninsula To Cameroon by Nobody: 9:21am On Jul 23, 2012
angry
Re: Bakassi Indigenes Threaten To Reclaim Ceded Peninsula To Cameroon by OAM4J: 9:55am On Jul 23, 2012

(1)

'I Cut My Son's Stomach To End Relationship With His Father' - Joy Akule / EFCC Arraigns Two Starcomms Staff Over N28m Recharge Card Fraud / Man Hides N24m Cocaine Inside Roasted Chicken

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.