Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,438 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? (13824 Views)

Help!!! Which Should I Go For? A Laptop Or A Tablet Pc / How To Solve China Android Tablet Pc Hanging On Android Logo When Booting / 'Inye': Made In Nigeria Tablet PC By Saheed Adepoju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by dlox147(m): 9:25am On Jul 23, 2012
Adepoju and his Inye tablet
[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=saheed_and_inye_856838327.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
Faced with competition from giants as such ipad, Inye, a low-cost tablet computer developed by a Nigerian, has a long way to go, reports the BBC

Saheed Adepoju is a young man with big dreams. He is the inventor of the Inye, a tablet computer designed for the African market.

According to the 29-year-old entrepreneur, his machine’s key selling point is its price - $350 (£225) opposed to around $700 for an iPad.

He believes that, because of this, there is a big market for it in Nigeria and elsewhere in Africa, particularly amongst students.

He is also hoping to sell his tablet - which runs on the Google Android operating system - to the Nigerian government and plans to have at least one computer in each local government area.

The Inye is a mobile internet device. It gives you access to the internet; it allows you to play media files and watch movies”

“The Inye is a mobile internet device. It gives you access to the internet; it allows you to play media files and watch movies. What we have is an 8-inch device, a device that is half-way between a laptop and a mobile phone,” he told the BBC’s series African Dream.

“You have the standard software applications that come pre-installed and then you have the ones that we are working with various local developers to bundle on,” he added.

Among those local apps there is one designed to raise awareness about HIV and others related to water and sanitation.

“We work with local developers that have expertise in particular areas so that we don’t end up doing so much work and we just have a collaborative way of doing things together,” he said.

‘Word of mouth’

Mr Adepoju has a background in software development and is a Sun-certified Java programmer.

After doing a first degree in maths and computer science in Nigeria, he completed another one in advanced computing by research at Bournemouth University, in the United Kingdom.

Upon graduation in 2009, he returned to his home country and started working for a consulting firm.

“Within eight months I got fired, primarily because of differences in approach to doing business. In the middle of all this, the Apple iPad launched, back in January of 2010, which inspired us to actually look to build such [a] product within the African marketplace,” the entrepreneur told the BBC Africa’s Chris Ewokor.

He said that, with that goal in mind, he borrowed money from friends and family, raising a total of about $60,000.

According to him, all of that went on the devices and the logistics - there was no budget for marketing, so early advertising was “word of mouth” on social media.

The first 100 units of the Inye, which means One in Nigeria’s Igala language, were built in China and, after receiving feedback from its users, a second version was launched in May 2011.

Encipher Group, the company he cofounded with web developer Anibe Agamah, also offers customised IT services and products, including cloud computing, which are mostly based on open technology to keep costs down.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/54855-how-far-can-nigeria%E2%80%99s-low-cost-tablet-computer-go%3F.html

2 Likes

Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by dlox147(m): 9:28am On Jul 23, 2012
this is great news
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by SisiKill1: 7:40pm On Jul 23, 2012
Awwwwww! This is sooooo inspiring!!

Honestly, I wanna cry right now. . .who woulda thunk that in the midst of so many uglies, something beautiful can still come out.

I hope the Tablet sells!!

2 Likes

Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by redcliff: 7:41pm On Jul 23, 2012
1. The name is not welcoming.
2. What's d difference between him and an ibo alaba trader that goes to china and gives specifications for my own custom version of a tablet pc.
3. If it was produced in nigeria, I would have been overglad to read this news.

Its no different to me. Call it hating but logically, its still the same thing cos I've not seen what part of the post where his input in terms of hardware / software contribution is mentioned

But hey, I'l still give him my full support cos he's one of our own.

7 Likes

Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 23, 2012
Why does this guy remind me of dayokanu?
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 23, 2012
ON WHAT PLANET DOES AN IPAD COST $700??
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by marvel10: 7:43pm On Jul 23, 2012
Yes o, I will be on the lookout. My lil uns have Ipads so I will happily support a local entrepreneur and buy em these also.
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by swagrr01: 7:44pm On Jul 23, 2012
Kuuul....dis great news 4 nigeria....it industry
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 23, 2012
Where can one buy this "Inye", we need to encourage "made in Nigeria' products.
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by adetwin(m): 7:45pm On Jul 23, 2012
How much ? & features.... So that we can market it
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by marvel10: 7:45pm On Jul 23, 2012
@ Engineerd, how much does a wifi Ipad 3 cost please?
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 23, 2012
There is no market for the product. He can't compete with the likes of Apple and Google.

I guess those who appreciate talent will eventually take him to the western part of the globe in not too distant future or the "big boys" simply acquire his company.
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by DICKtator: 7:52pm On Jul 23, 2012
Kudos to this Nigerian entrepreneur.
This is what the present administration in Nigeria shld look @ and support. Let's protect and promote local industries/SMes/Mes in order for it to grow.
Let these laptop be part of the MDG/MDagenda of the govt.he should team up with the Govt and both shld play a pro-active role in developing the educational sectors(just lyk Omatek's partnership wit the govt) and even ICT and what-have-you.Proudly Nigerian!!!.
It shld be ubiquitous like acer and @ least a brand of this laptop must be purchased by any govt ministry, hopefully!
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by faithin9ja: 7:55pm On Jul 23, 2012
redcliff: 1. The name is not welcoming.
2. What's d difference between him and an ibo alaba trader that goes to china and gives specifications for my own custom version of a tablet pc.

Its no different to me. Call it hating but logically, its still the same thing cos I've not seen what part of the post where his input in terms of hardware / software contribution is mentioned

That is exactly what has happened here, I get emails everyday from Chinese companies offering me tablets for under $150!!! all he has done is but a badge on it. smart guy though getting BBC to help his publicity.

does anyone remember the Nigerian smartphone, ally..... something, somebody please remind me of the name again
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by toluxa1(m): 7:56pm On Jul 23, 2012
engineerd: ON WHAT PLANET DOES AN IPAD COST $700??

Depends on what kind, some are more. The Apple iPad Wi-Fi + 4G 64Go Blanc (3eme generation) cost $1555 and the normal IPAD 3's cost over $700
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by SisiKill1: 7:57pm On Jul 23, 2012
Jeeeeedus! See condemnation!! shocked shocked

Y'all scare me!! lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by kelvinnn(m): 7:59pm On Jul 23, 2012
Is a good idea but it should make it really affordable for the people especially the students...........
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by denny4ril: 8:00pm On Jul 23, 2012
redcliff: 1. The name is not welcoming.

the name may not be inspiring to you but to me His spirit and determination is unmatched. Let anyone who thinks this is not inspiring come out with his/her own business concept. It is not easy ooooo!!!
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by chuks49(m): 8:00pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Where can one buy this "Inye", we need to encourage "made in Nigeria' products.

You mean made in China for Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by faithin9ja: 8:04pm On Jul 23, 2012
Billyonaire: Where can one buy this "Inye", we need to encourage "made in Nigeria' products.

sorry it's not made in Nigeria, not even designed in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Crown128(m): 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2012
That's a good news.
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by TCD: 8:08pm On Jul 23, 2012
$350? BlackBerry playbook tablet costs less than that, Google's nexus tablet is $200, amazon Kindle fire $200. And we should buy onyinye Chinese tablets for $350? OYO
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by bigfat02: 8:09pm On Jul 23, 2012
made in Nigeria for china...
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by BlackBaron: 8:11pm On Jul 23, 2012
Not the only made in Nigeria tablet I know of, but kudos to him getting a recognition from the media.

Only grouse here is price point, numerous branded and oem manufacturers on or above par out there with lower prices than 'Inye' - ainol, nexus 7 et al.

Good luck to the dude though.
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Castos(m): 8:15pm On Jul 23, 2012
I love the spirit! It's really a good inovation. Kudoo my bro, Dalu pure!
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by tonyx4x44(m): 8:19pm On Jul 23, 2012
TCD: $350? BlackBerry playbook tablet costs less than that, Google's nexus tablet is $200, amazon Kindle fire $200. And we should buy onyinye Chinese tablets for $350? OYO
I wonder o! Let's hear the specs first
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Prodigy246(m): 8:23pm On Jul 23, 2012
God bless Nigeria!
God bless this chap with everything & connections that he needs to soar higher & higher!
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by ikechukz(m): 8:27pm On Jul 23, 2012
So expensive.even chinese guys dey sell tablet of $75.
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by excondido(m): 8:30pm On Jul 23, 2012
Do nigerian IT and automakers manufacture the hardware components when they claim to produce computers and automobile like the one claimed by inye?
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 23, 2012
excondido: Do nigerian IT and automakers manufacture the hardware components when they claim to produce computers and automobile like the one claimed by inye?

No hardware components is manufactured in Nigeria! NOTHING! Ghana might be getting a design/manufacture center for electronic components soon from Texas Instruments.
Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 23, 2012
Na wa o, e be like say I go hold N1m enter china, buy unbranded tablets and name them 'tatafo' make BBC show me for TV.

This is so uninspiring, people have been doing this with other consumer electronics na, difference is that they want it to sell fast, so they brand it, LG, Samsung, and the rest. This guy names his inye and he's trying to look special. Is the tablet not on android? What is he talking about software development as if he is one bill gates-even bill gates is not original.

Boys at alaba will simply hear this story and laugh because they are doing same and definitely making sales that this inye can't even dream off. And who told him his tablet is low cost? Has he heard of the Indian low cost tab.

2 Likes

Re: Inye: Made In Nigeria Tablet PC- How Far Can it Go? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 23, 2012
Nigerians! Dreamkillers!!!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Which Is The Fastest Internet Modem In Naija? Share Ur Experience! / My Upgrade To Windows 8 / I Forgot My Bank Account Number, What Do I Do ??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.