Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

The Great Songhai Empire - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Great Songhai Empire (51313 Views)

Auwa The Daughter Of Askiya The Great Of Songhai Empire Married The Sarki Of Ka / The Great Yorubas, People Of A Unique And Vast Culture / History Of The Oyo Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

many cameroonians always brag about how peaceful and great their country iz when many cameroonians are running away from the so called peaceful country

I love Nigeria but still admit is crap cheesy what is there to be proud with all our oil wealth when many Nigerians are walking thru the desert to go to libya or egypt just to escape to europe

nothing to be proud off
TRUE TRUE AGAin TRUE...those are facts ..and like i said, actually Cameroon sucks but i have to say that ran away won't fix our problems...and most of them are useless people ,jobless ..ect .....
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nayah(f): 4:31pm On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

many cameroonians always brag about how peaceful and great their country iz when many cameroonians are running away from the so called peaceful country

I love Nigeria but still admit is crap cheesy what is there to be proud with all our oil wealth when many Nigerians are walking thru the desert to go to libya or egypt just to escape to europe

nothing to be proud off
This is their right! like the right to Nigerians to say they're a great country. A great doesn't mean PERFECT. As for elections as you underline previously I think the case of France is a good one, they call themselves democracy while the whole power is concentrated in the executive one. Sarkosy policy has showed it when it comes to medias, which were totally controlled during his rulling. I can't say Cameroon is a perfect country I know our weakness espcially politically speaking but in a discussion all is not BLACK or WHITE, we need to balance and see many elements that's what you don't do Onila and that's the reason I partially disagree with your statements on that.
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nayah(f): 4:33pm On Jul 24, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: TRUE TRUE AGAin TRUE...those are facts ..and like i said, actually Cameroon sucks but i have to say that[b] ran away won't fix our problems...and most of them are useless people ,jobless ..ect .....[/b]
Fortunately this is your truth not an absolute one, unemployement is the main problem in our Continent.

1 Like

Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
Nayah:
Fortunately this is your truth not an absolute one, unemployement is the main problem in our Continent.
tell how those prostitute weho are tracking white men trough the net will be helpful to our nation? those gold diggers are goo to nothing (men and women)
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nayah(f): 4:39pm On Jul 24, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: tell how those prostitute weho are tracking white men trough the net will be helpful to our nation? those gold diggers are goo to nothing (men and women)
Look brother when I'm discussing I like talking with distance and not passion or clichés. Here in Europe Chinese, Ghanaians or Nigerians are affected by prostitutions does it mean they're useless? Ask some Nigerians about prostitution rate in their country you'll see, this is a worldwide phenomenon and not a new one sorry!
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by anonymous6(f): 4:40pm On Jul 24, 2012
Nayah:

True, if That and healthcare is fixed everything else will follow gracefully; that to me is the biggest problem affecting Nigeria today.
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by onila(f): 4:44pm On Jul 24, 2012
Nayah:
This is their right! like the right to Nigerians to say they're a great country. A great doesn't mean PERFECT. As for elections as you underline previously I think the case of France is a good one, they call themselves democracy while the whole power is concentrated in the executive one. Sarkosy policy has showed it when it comes to medias, which were totally controlled during his rulling. I can't say Cameroon is a perfect country I know our weakness espcially politically speaking but in a discussion all is not BLACK or WHITE, we need to balance and see many elements that's what you don't do Onila and that's the reason I partially disagree with your statements on that.

I am sure you also ran away from great cameroon grin Africans and fake/cheap pride

but hey I guess yr family members work in the cameroonian govt=who enjoy the peace and money
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nayah(f): 4:48pm On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

I am sure also ran away from great cameroon grin Africans and fake/cheap pride

but hey I guess yr family members work in the cameroonian govt=who enjoy the peace and money
lol runaway from a country means you were born and raised there honey...and this is unfortunately NOT my case but yes I try to go 3 times a year because of my different project and as for my family, my father is retiring out there, so yes dear I'm quite proud of Cameroon and what it can offer and I am not ashamed to tell you this: Next time inform you more that's your main problem you used to jump on conclusions grin
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 24, 2012
anonymous6:

True, if That and healthcare is fixed everything else will follow gracefully; that to me is the biggest problem affecting Nigeria today.
how do you fix it when all they care about is going to french ,etc.....to clean toilets and streets when their own are dirty ..and yet Cameroon has a good cleaning company (hysacam which hire regularly...) Africans complain alot but you want the reward without the work ,,,do you think that the germans who benefits of the modern germany are those who rebuilt it after the WWII i don't think so ..same with japan....Africans are lazy (blame the t.v and those who are abroad who make them think that europe is a paradise) no one want to work for his country ..... ....our generations don't want to work...
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by onila(f): 4:54pm On Jul 24, 2012
Nayah:
lol runaway from a country means you were born and raised there honey...and this is unfortunately NOT my case but yes I try to go 3 times a year because of my different project and as for my family, my father is retiring out there, so yes dear I'm quite proud of Cameroon and what it can offer and I am not ashamed to tell you this: Next time inform you more that's your main problem you used to jump on conclusions grin

i am also a proud of being Nigerian. we all have our mentality strength that makes us feel better or superior to our fellow Africans unfortunately all Africans do grin

its either we are peaceful you are not
we are rich= you are less richer or poor
central Africans are better than West Africans
east Africans say yea we might be poor but prettier than the rest
southern African vs the whole Africa
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

i am also a proud of being Nigerian. we all have our mentality strength that makes us feel better or superior to our fellow Africans unfortunately all Africans do grin

its either we are peaceful you are not
we are rich= you are less richer or poor
central Africans are better than West Africans
east Africans say yea we might be poor but prettier than the rest
southern African vs the whole Africa
Nigerians are damn cocky lmao....anyway CAMEROONPRIDE all day every day cool cool cool cool cool tongue cool cool
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by anonymous6(f): 5:04pm On Jul 24, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: how do you fix it when all they care about is going to french ,etc.....to clean toilets and streets when their own are dirty ..and yet Cameroon has a good cleaning company (hysacam which hire regularly...) Africans complain alot but you want the reward without the work ,,,do you think that the germans who benefits of the modern germany are those who rebuilt it after the WWII i don't think so ..same with japan....Africans are lazy (blame the t.v and those who are abroad who make them think that europe is a paradise) no one want to work for his country ..... ....our generations don't want to work...

I don't think it is laziness, it is the fact that they don't see a gain in it, Africans want to see the fruits of their labor(which is understandable) and when governments are making the system like that in such a way where the citizens can have that reassurance, they will be less inclined to do so. That is why many Africans(mostly of poor back ground) today go to first world for a decade or more, then come back with their hard earned money to build a house, business, and etc. That is what is happening right now, African governments need to do their countries systems in such a way that these Africans don't need to travel overseas and accumulate in foreign land just to do things to progress their own homeland. Germany and Japan(eventually) learned to make their systems in such a way where their citizens can build in their own land without going overseas. India(caste system) and some other countries are going through the same thing as what is going on in African countries
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by onila(f): 5:06pm On Jul 24, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: Nigerians are damn cocky lmao....anyway CAMEROONPRIDE all day every day cool cool cool cool cool tongue cool cool

are cameroonians any better
I have also met arrogant cameroonians
it seems you guys hide under your gentle or passive nature
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

are cameroonians any better
I have also met arrogant cameroonians
it seems you guys hide under your gentle or passive nature
lol if i answer it will make me look cocky lmao ...i don't know who is better or worst.... tell me...

we are pacific /gentle/etc cool coolCameroon pride cool cool just trolling
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Rgp92: 5:15pm On Jul 24, 2012
anonymous6:

I don't think it is laziness, it is the fact that they don't see a gain in it, Africans want to see the fruits of their labor(which is understandable) and when governments are making the system like that in such a way where the citizens can have that reassurance, they will be less inclined to do so. That is why many Africans(mostly of poor back ground) today go to first world for a decade or more, then come back with their hard earned money to build a house, business, and etc. That is what is happening right now, African governments need to do their countries systems in such a way that these Africans don't need to travel overseas and accumulate in foreign land just to do things to progress their own homeland. Germany and Japan(eventually) learned to make their systems in such a way where their citizens can build in their own land without going overseas. India(caste system) and some other countries are going through the same thing as what is going on in African countries

I agreed with you! Most Africans cries about changes, yet they wont fight for it.
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by onila(f): 6:14pm On Jul 24, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: lol if i answer it will make me look cocky lmao ...i don't know who is better or worst.... tell me...

we are pacific /gentle/etc cool coolCameroon pride cool cool just trolling

grin say it very nice but with a wicked and manipulative mind behind the niceness
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

grin say it very nice but with a wicked and manipulative mind behind the niceness

lol cool grin...by the way what is the name of the Cameroonian forum which banned you?
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by onila(f): 6:38pm On Jul 24, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: lol cool grin...by the way what is the name of the Cameroonian forum who banned you?

why grin u wanna go look for trouble cheesy. .i like the fact you guys are speaking french. .so u can remain as french speaking puppets
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 24, 2012
onila:

why grin u wanna go look for trouble cheesy. .i like the fact you guys are speaking french. .so u can remain as french speaking puppets
grrr lmao...anyway i have to leave ..catch you later
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by anonymous6(f): 7:31pm On Jul 24, 2012
Rgp92:

I agreed with you! Most Africans cries about changes, yet they wont fight for it.

True
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Edomaala: 8:39pm On Jul 24, 2012
odumchi:

Any historical evidence?

During the dark ages, Europe was politically fragmented and (for some time), Southern Spain was under the control of the Abbasids.
It's not Abbasids it is Almoravid empire the black people of north africa whom where converted to islam.
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by kengis: 8:53pm On Jul 24, 2012
West africa had the most powerful civilisation when it comes to big kingdoms and empire !we have nothing to prove to anyone
In some part of africa they were in the jungle eating apes
That's why many of them come on "our "naija board to brag about their shit hole ,some can't even get rid of their dictator
we got smelly ans ,apes eater etc
For real I didn't know us nigerian were so popular
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 24, 2012
kengis: West africa had the most powerful civilisation when it comes to big kingdoms and empire !we have nothing to prove to anyone
In some part of africa they were in the jungle eating apes
That's why many of them come on "our "naija board to brag about their shit hole ,some can't even get rid of their dictator
we got smelly ans ,apes eater etc
For real I didn't know us nigerian were so popular
off topic go pleasure yourself somewhere else
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by SmoothCrim2015: 6:58am On Jul 25, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by onila(f): 9:46am On Jul 25, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: off topic go pleasure yourself somewhere else

https://www.nairaland.com/997422/bakassi-indigenes-threaten-return-back

if you wanna argue abt the bakassi come here
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by kengis: 11:36am On Jul 25, 2012
onila:

https://www.nairaland.com/997422/bakassi-indigenes-threaten-return-back

if you wanna argue abt the bakassi come here

ahahaha so funny
we gotta push the button "apes alert " on our naija board grin,we should add this "option " though
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jul 25, 2012
World’s First University: Timbuktu

Unknown to many in the educated world. The first University in the world was the Sankore University in Timbuktu, capital of Mali.The University was organized around three great Masajids or Mosques. The Masajid of Jingaray Ber, The Masajid of Sidi Yahya, The Masajid of Sankore. Masajids are places of worship for Muslims. Not only did students seek knowledge, but they also purified their souls through the sciences of Islam. Islam breeds leaders that are God fearing, just, honest, trustworthy and of excellent moral character. Graduate students were the embodiment of the teachings of the Holy Qur’an and the traditions of the Mohammed, the Prophet of Islam. The great library of Sankore boasts of a collection of over 700,000 manuscripts.

Around the 12th century, the University of Timbuktu had an attendance of 25, 000 students in a city which had a population of 100,000 people. The students came from all corners of the African continent in search of excellence in knowledge and trade. On graduation day, students were given Turbans. The turban symbolizes Divine light, wisdom, knowledge and excellent moral conduct. The turban represents the demarcation line between knowledge and ignorance. The knots and circles of the turban represent the name Allah. This means that the graduate students know the Divine obligations and responsibilities to be discharge honorably in their communities and toward their fellowmen.

[img]http://1.bp..com/_kxPG6y8Qctk/TFbgiZC_4tI/AAAAAAAAewY/dw3fQ0ZiF_c/s800/Sankore+Mosque+-+TIMBUKTU+Photos+%284%29.jpg[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/_kxPG6y8Qctk/TFbgsbe1OVI/AAAAAAAAexA/hqGathBBqSs/s800/Sankore+Mosque+-+TIMBUKTU+Photos+%289%29.jpg[/img]

Timbuktu’s literary output was enormous, and included works covering the history of Africa and southern Europe, religion, mathematics, medicine and law. There were manuscripts detailing the movement of the stars, possible cures for malaria and remedies for menstrual pain.

Zouber says he immediately realized the manuscripts’ primary source importance. “Colonizers had always argued that they were here to civilize Africa,” he says. “But there were many points of light. Clearly Africa was not living in obscurity.”

In 1979, Zouber, the President’s counselor, bought 25 Timbuktu manuscripts from the daughter of a former French diplomat who had been stationed in Mali and had taken them with him when he left; Zouber tracked her down in Cannes and paid about $25,000 for the lot. “Now they’re worth perhaps 10 times that amount,” he says.

Their astronomers didn’t follow the European leap to a sun-centered solar system, but they sprang far ahead in the mathematics of calendar writing — far ahead in trigonometry. The writings detail astronomic events six hundred years ago. Scholars, racing to translate this huge trove of literature, now wonder what these ancients knew of medicine, botany, chemistry and climatology. How did the knowledge of other regions flow through this glittering outpost? How much new science did it create? But, the romantic image is hard to get around. In a recent survey of young Britons, a third thought Timbuktu was imaginary. The rest found the very name to be mystical. For most of us it remains a location in our imaginations — not in geography or history.

Examples of Tombouktou manuscripts:

MANUSCRIPT 4056
This work is a scientific treatise on optics, a branch of physics that describes the behaviour and properties of light and the interaction of light with matter. The writer outlines five premises for aspects of visualization, detailing arguments for each. It is written in Suqi script, but the date and writer are unknown.

MANUSCRIPT 4058
This treatise on astronomy and geography describes lines of longitude and latitude, and studies the dimensions of the earth. The succession of night and day and the movements of the constellations are considered. The authorship of manuscripts dealing with astronomy and astrology in this collection is often unknown. It would seem that the study of astronomy was closely intertwined with astrology and this was rather frowned upon by orthodox Muslim scholars. The manuscript is written in Sahrawi script.

Astronomy eclipse

Optics

Volumes and volumes from the 14th and 15th century

Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jul 25, 2012
More pictures of the University:

Re: The Great Songhai Empire by TerryCarr(m): 9:15pm On Jul 25, 2012
it is a shame it is being destroyed cry
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 1:52am On Sep 16, 2012
SmoothCrim: Ran all the dumb Boko's out of here!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Only Ghanaian RULE can save West Afrika!

Let's take it back to the start!!

Take it back to the roots!!!

The last of the ancient West African(and African??) cultures is still practiced in Ghana only!!

Ghana Ghana!!!

A land of many Kings!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 1:54am On Sep 16, 2012
shymmex: ^^^^^Undefeated Kushites

what do they have to do with the songhai empire?
Re: The Great Songhai Empire by Nobody: 1:55am On Sep 16, 2012
shymmex: ^^^^How did they forget it? Both Nubia and Cush extended into Sudan/Ethiopia.

Why do you think they call Egypt(Kemet) the first daughter of Ethiopia?

The same people who built Nubia/Cush were the ones who later migrated to West Africa to build the Songhai, Mali, Ghana, Oyo, and Benin Empires..

Stop trolling, you're annoying..

hmmm...interesting.
i will have to look into this.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

DPO Segun Fagbohun Dies In Lagos Hospital (photo) / Convocation: Badirat Olaitan Adeyemi Graduates From The University Of Ibadan / Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.