Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,961 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree (7683 Views)

Lagos Apc, Pdp Disagree Over Scrapping Of Lastma, Kai, Lawma / OSUN: Jonathan, PDP Disagree On Election Result / Rivers, PDP Disagree Over $280m Water, Sanitation Loan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by mukina2: 7:16am On Jul 24, 2012
OVER 2,000 displaced residents of Makoko Water Front in Iwaya, Yaba Council Development Area yesterday besieged the Alausa office of Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola to register their frustration and continued suffering following the demolition of their shanties by the government last Monday.

The residents, most of whom were elderly women, children, youths and children arrived at about 11.00 a.m. and sat down on the entrance and exit lanes of the office awaiting the governor.

Led by the Baale of the Makoko, Yusuf Jejelaye and lawyer of the community, Felix Mouka, some of the residents who carried placards lamented their fate since their eviction from where they have called home since birth.

They sat on the bare floor until about 12:30 p.m. when security officials allowed them entrance into the office where they were later received by Fashola and some members of the state Executive Council.

Jejelaye said the residents voted for the governor in the last election because they believed in his integrity and the fact that he would always be there to fight for the right of the poor.

“We have been waiting to see your performance in our community when suddenly police took over our community, destroying property and shooting, in which my assistant Baale was killed.”

But Fashola said the government was not going back in its decision, saying: “You must look more to your government than to any other person. We act for the benefit of the community. Some people are benefitting from your difficulty, in the guise of being your friends, forming all sorts of lies, purporting to help you, but it never gets to you.”

Fashola also said the decision to eject them was to save the Lagoon from further shrinking, noting that the continuous expansion of the structures on the water body puts it in grave danger.

“Yes you mentioned indigenous people, but there are foreigners there too, from Cameroun, Benin Republic and Togo who have no papers, illegal immigrants.”

Fashola, however, said he will look into the killing of Timothy Huntoyanwha by a marine police corporal on Saturday, promising that the government will probe the incident.

But the Lagos State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) implored Fashola to ensure that the evictees are properly accommodated and that the death of their ruler be investigated with culprits brought to book.

In a statement, the PDP’s Publicity Secretary, Taofik Gani, deplored “the manner and timing of demolition,” which, it said, was more of destruction than correction.

“It lacked human feelings and indeed violation of human rights,” especially during a time of heavy rainfalls.

“The residents are now helpless with no alternative accommodation by the state government,” PDP added.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93228:ex-vc-urges-action-on-lassa-fever&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Biggyd2: 8:26am On Jul 24, 2012
I like this bit: "Fashola also said the decision to eject them was to save the Lagoon from further shrinking, noting that the continuous expansion of the structures on the water body puts it in grave danger."

We hope that a few years down the line, the area will not be sand filled and sold to some people.

1 Like

Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Okijajuju1(m): 8:48am On Jul 24, 2012
...Fashola should stand strong... If we are to move from this pit where we currently are as a Nation, sacrifices have to be made.. Alot of people may not like it, but it has to be done.. That Makoko Shanty town has no plce in the future that we are trying to build.. Should we continue to allow foolishness so that some people would be happy?!! GOD FORBID..

In all the other states where alot of shaties have been allowed to grow out of control, be prepared, because one day when the development gets to your area you would have to move.. Makoko is gone and gone for good.. The PDP should stop trying to score cheap political points with this Makoko issue.. If Fashola is to even consider any form of compensation, it would be at his own discretion and should be to only those people who can prove they are indeed indigenes/natives of Lagos state..

My heart goes out to all those who may have been displaced, but lets not forget that they were living in precarious conditions that could have led to serious health problems.. They were shitting directly into the water, had power lines criss crossing each other, the layout of the place was a fire harzard waiting to breakout.. I can almost swear it that 85% of the inhabitants of that shanty are from states like Ondo, Akwa Ibom, Anambra and co.. They are mostly those people who came to the city in search of greener pastures only to realize that the city can be a cruel place.. Let them all relocate back to their villages..

Next on the block would be Ajegunle...

Who here is old enough to remember the days of Maroko?!! When Raji Rasaki evicted the people of Maroko, thats how everybody screamed and yelled.. Well today, you will all agree that it was a brilliant idea afterall..

Like Maroko, Makoko has got to go... No mercy!!

P.S Notice the similarities between both incidences.. NAME: Maroko.. Makoko!! GOVERNORS WHO DEMOLISHED THEM: Raji Rasaki.. Raji Fashola.. lol

11 Likes

Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by nifemi01(m): 12:34pm On Jul 24, 2012
Abeg they gree on anything b4?
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by DAY12(m): 12:34pm On Jul 24, 2012
@Okija Juju

Good point.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
The demolition was long overdue. Majority of the people living there are illegal immigrants who settle there to give birth to average of 5 each, I was shocked when CNN and Aljazera ran documentary and talk ill of Lagos, and those people clearly spoke Togo language. Illegal immigrants are humans but they have to go back, Ghana is insulting us, yet they are all over this country illegally.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by lifestyle1(m): 12:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
Enemy of progress undecided
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 24, 2012
Okija_juju: ...Fashola should stand strong... If we are to move from this pit where we currently are as a Nation, sacrifices have to be made.. Alot of people may not like it, but it has to be done.. That Makoko Shanty town has no plce in the future that we are trying to build.. Should we continue to allow foolishness so that some people would be happy?!! GOD FORBID..

In all the other states where alot of shaties have been allowed to grow out of control, be prepared, because one day when the development gets to your area you would have to move.. Makoko is gone and gone for good.. The PDP should stop trying to score cheap political points with this Makoko issue.. If Fashola is to even consider any form of compensation, it would be at his own discretion and should be to only those people who can prove they are indeed indigenes/natives of Lagos state..

My heart goes out to all those who may have been displaced, but lets not forget that they were living in precarious conditions that could have led to serious health problems.. They were shitting directly into the water, had power lines criss crossing each other, the layout of the place was a fire harzard waiting to breakout.. I can almost swear it that 85% of the inhabitants of that shanty are from states like Ondo, Akwa Ibom, Anambra and co.. They are mostly those people who came to the city in search of greener pastures only to realize that the city can be a cruel place.. Let them all relocate back to their villages..

Next on the block would be Ajegunle...

Who here is old enough to remember the days of Maroko?!! When Raji Rasaki evicted the people of Maroko, thats how everybody screamed and yelled.. Well today, you will all agree that it was a brilliant idea afterall..

Like Maroko, Makoko has got to go... No mercy!!

P.S Notice the similarities between both incidences.. NAME: Maroko.. Makoko!! GOVERNORS WHO DEMOLISHED THEM: Raji Rasaki.. Raji Fashola.. lol

Well said.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by damola1: 12:39pm On Jul 24, 2012
what provisions as the Lagos state govt. made to allow these people settle into our society. For the fact that there are people from togo or wherever staying there does not justify destruction of people's roof over their head. Camerounians are all over lagos, not just in makoko. I think the Govt. is acting like our useless president. Increasing fuel prices without making provisions for proper infrastructure and people continue to faroukise us. They should be well resettled before taking away where they lives. Will fashola have accepted the treatment of his family and friends if they lived there without proper resettlement plans?
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by damola1: 12:43pm On Jul 24, 2012
Billyonaire: The demolition was long overdue. Majority of the people living there are illegal immigrants who settle there to give birth to average of 5 each, I was shocked when CNN and Aljazera ran documentary and talk ill of Lagos, and those people clearly spoke Togo language. Illegal immigrants are humans but they have to go back, Ghana is insulting us, yet they are all over this country illegally.

I saw that documentary on CNN. illegal immigrants are everywhere, not just in makoko, makoko is not a boarder control site, let immigration do their job! Be aware that for the fact that a Nigerian lives there justifies him every right to basic things of life and not be treated like an animal. Will you destroy the house of your dog and allow him stay in the rain, or will you first build him a new one before destroying the old one?
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by ariyebaba(m): 12:54pm On Jul 24, 2012
They have right to live,they should be treated well.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by pembisco(m): 12:57pm On Jul 24, 2012
@haters! Hw kn d place b devlopd wtout 1st,destroyd? Smh
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Yornandrew: 1:00pm On Jul 24, 2012
No comments
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by dapo338(m): 1:00pm On Jul 24, 2012
Fashola should have resettle them before destroying the place.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 24, 2012
dapo338: Fashola should have resettle them before destroying the place.
90% of them are illegal immigrants, please they should go back to their countries, we have problems of our own.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by olushanuoba: 1:09pm On Jul 24, 2012
God help us]
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by KayDee4: 1:09pm On Jul 24, 2012
damola1: what provisions as the Lagos state govt. made to allow these people settle into our society. For the fact that there are people from togo or wherever staying there does not justify destruction of people's roof over their head. Camerounians are all over lagos, not just in makoko. I think the Govt. is acting like our useless president. Increasing fuel prices without making provisions for proper infrastructure and people continue to faroukise us. They should be well resettled before taking away where they lives. Will fashola have accepted the treatment of his family and friends if they lived there without proper resettlement plans?

damola1: I saw that documentary on CNN. illegal immigrants are everywhere, not just in makoko, makoko is not a boarder control site, let immigration do their job! Be aware that for the fact that a Nigerian lives there justifies him every right to basic things of life and not be treated like an animal. Will you destroy the house of your dog and allow him stay in the rain, or will you first build him a new one before destroying the old one?

[size=13pt] I understand they were given enough time to find an alternative and move out and I don't know if the government is supposed to pay you compensation for trying to fix something wrong you have done. Those shanties are more or less illegal structures destabilizing the drainage of the state. It's not just about Camerounians or other illegal immigrants living there, i'm sure there are more Nigerians than foreigners residing in those shanties. On whether Fash wld have accepted the treatment if his friend's were involved ? remember J.K Randle got the same treatment and Fashola told him to go do the right thing. [/size]
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Yornandrew: 1:14pm On Jul 24, 2012
the demolition is long overdue. i support Gov. Fashola's Mega city plan. And it most be implemented to the latter for Lagos to continuouly attract the requirement foreign investment. 90% of the inhabitants are from togo and benin, it should be demolished without sentiments. If you watch CNN, Lagos is an object of redicule because of makoko. How do people even live there, it is a dirty squalor, a dent on the beautiful image of Lagos
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by omobabanani: 1:16pm On Jul 24, 2012
Taofik Gani (PDP publicity sec) is only trying to woo people to their side knowing fully well that they have lost all integrity and popularity in the Southwest. Let him answer this question is the Federal Govt not destroying and demolishing houses in certain parts of Yanyan in Abuja in the name of road construction? It is unfortunate for this man that we Nigerians know better when they talk.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by jude33084(m): 1:20pm On Jul 24, 2012
life_style: Enemy of progress undecided

Bros who is τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ Enemy? wink
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Ournaija: 1:21pm On Jul 24, 2012
Kay-Dee:

[size=13pt] I understand they were given enough time to find an alternative and move out and I don't know if the government is supposed to pay you compensation for trying to fix something wrong you have done. Those shanties are more or less illegal structures destabilizing the drainage of the state. It's not just about Camerounians or other illegal immigrants living there, i'm sure there are more Nigerians than foreigners residing in those shanties. On whether Fash wld have accepted the treatment if his friend's were involved ? remember J.K Randle go the same treatment and Fashola told him to go and do the right thing. [/size]

Fashola should have made good plans before demolishing their homes. There are better approach to this kind of situation in an ideal society. That place has already been paid for by World bank and the rich. If there is no better alternatives for those guys by the government, it simply a case of snatching/robbing from the poor to buy favour from the rich.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by damola1: 1:23pm On Jul 24, 2012
Kay-Dee:

[size=13pt] I understand they were given enough time to find an alternative and move out and I don't know if the government is supposed to pay you compensation for[b] trying to fix something wrong you have done[/b]. Those shanties are more or less illegal structures destabilizing the drainage of the state. It's not just about Camerounians or other illegal immigrants living there, i'm sure there are more Nigerians than foreigners residing in those shanties. On whether Fash wld have accepted the treatment if his friend's were involved ? remember J.K Randle got the same treatment and Fashola told him to go do the right thing. [/size]

J.K. Randle is an opponent, not an ally. They've lived not just on that particular structure but all around Yaba for over 80 years. How is that wrong?... before the independence of Nigeria. If Govt. wakes up to do something they didn't originally say is wrong, they must make provisions for it. The Govt. is here to protect and make our lives better not worse!...

It's just like someone waking up and saying VI/lekki is on top of water, and people shouldn't be living there, and they are affecting the flow of water, you need to see what rain does in those zones.. but because VI/lekki is for the rich and powerful can anyone just to say this?... You see lets call a spade a spade. fashola's angle na wash.

The Govt. of the day must be held accountable for its citizenry, provide the most basic things. The Govt. must rather take from the rich and give to the poor and not the other way round as it's in this case and in our society generally. Change must come at some point!
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jul 24, 2012
The eviction is long ovadue.the people live in pathetic conditions devoids ofany comfortability.they live in deplorable conditions-no drainage,lack of basic necessities.despite the fact that i feel for them,we've to do the right first.to achieve development,some people must sacrifice.another place next is orile,and ajegunle..those places sucks.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by damola1: 1:30pm On Jul 24, 2012
Yomieluv: The eviction is long ovadue.the people live in pathetic conditions devoids ofany comfortability.they live in deplorable conditions-no drainage,lack of basic necessities.despite the fact that i feel for them,we've to do the right first.to achieve development,some people must sacrifice.another place next is orile,and ajegunle..those places sucks.

You people talk like you drop from Heaven.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Ournaija: 1:33pm On Jul 24, 2012
omobabanani: Taofik Gani (PDP publicity sec) is only trying to woo people to their side knowing fully well that they have lost all integrity and popularity in the Southwest. Let him answer this question is the Federal Govt not destroying and demolishing houses in certain parts of Yanyan in Abuja in the name of road construction? It is unfortunate for this man that we Nigerians know better when they talk.

There is no place called Yanyan in Abuja. Maybe you are refering to Nyanya.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by flexya: 1:33pm On Jul 24, 2012
Am not a lagosian so I will speak as an outsider. These structures were said 2 be illegal. 2ndly, they were said 2 be contributing 2 flood in other parts of lagos. 3rdly, the poor sanitation is endangerin the health of the residents and others across lagos who come into contact wit the pollutted water. If any one of these three were true, then the govt has enough 2 prosecute these "offender", irrepective of whether they are native lagosians or togolese. By not so doin, Fashola has shown mercy which they should applaud. I can't understand the thinkin behind their protest 2 Alausa. If some ppl did these (illegal structure, block drainage and pollute) in my premises, I will av them jailed as the landlord. Fashola is the landlord for lagos! You, who built an illegal structure knows u will be moved one dy. Its just borrowed time. Habba, Fashola even gave em notice. I don't buy the argument that they don't av anywhere else 2 go. When Fashola demolished all the shops/shanties around oshodi, did ppl stop sellin curtains or did they move 2 jupiter?
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by mikeapollo: 1:42pm On Jul 24, 2012
Some people here are supporting the destruction of Makoko because they claim the residents are illegal immigrants from Togo, Benin, Cameroun etc! Good!

So when Ghana starts deporting illegal immigrants who are Nigerians, or demolish their shanties/houses because they are 'illegal structures', I hope the same people would clap for Ghana! HYPOCRITES!
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by KINGwax(m): 1:55pm On Jul 24, 2012
Billyonaire: 90% of them are illegal immigrants, please they should go back to their countries, we have problems of our own.
no matter what u say in favour of ACN, you're still beaf!
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by KINGwax(m): 1:58pm On Jul 24, 2012
Billyonaire: 90% of them are illegal immigrants, please they should go back to their countries, we have problems of our own.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jul 24, 2012
damola1:

You people talk like you drop from Heaven.
truth must be said..have u been there before to see the condition people live? Without setiments,that place isnt meant for human.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Revolutnz: 2:24pm On Jul 24, 2012
I'm very sure the govt would've warned these people severally before taking this action as reported in one of the newspapers.

However, I still believe Gov. Fashola will still do the right thing for these displaced people (many of whom are Nigerian citizens) by compensating them.

Say the 2000 people consist of 500 families, the govt can compensate them just by giving each family N100,000 i.e N100,000 * 500=N50Million.

The consequence of not compensating these displaced men,women,elderly,youths and children can be more than N50Million.

Gov. BRF, I know you don't want the young girls to go into prostitution & young men into armed robbery.Children & the elderly becoming beggars on the street etc.

2 Likes

Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by olaadegoke(m): 2:53pm On Jul 24, 2012
Alusi Okija has spoken

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sheriff Is Working For The Enemies Of Our Party – PDP / Nigeria Will Continue To Experience Sluggish Recovery – Fitch / Lauretta Onochie And The Questions Of Election Integrity By Oke Umurhohwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.