Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,532 members, 7,819,913 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree (7690 Views)

Lagos Apc, Pdp Disagree Over Scrapping Of Lastma, Kai, Lawma / OSUN: Jonathan, PDP Disagree On Election Result / Rivers, PDP Disagree Over $280m Water, Sanitation Loan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by StarrMatthieu: 3:24pm On Jul 24, 2012
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Vergil: 3:57pm On Jul 24, 2012
damola1:

J.K. Randle is an opponent, not an ally. They've lived not just on that particular structure but all around Yaba for over 80 years. How is that wrong?... before the independence of Nigeria. If Govt. wakes up to do something they didn't originally say is wrong, they must make provisions for it. The Govt. is here to protect and make our lives better not worse!...

It's just like someone waking up and saying VI/lekki is on top of water, and people shouldn't be living there, and they are affecting the flow of water, you need to see what rain does in those zones.. but because VI/lekki is for the rich and powerful can anyone just to say this?... You see lets call a spade a spade. fashola's angle na wash.

The Govt. of the day must be held accountable for its citizenry, provide the most basic things. The Govt. must rather take from the rich and give to the poor and not the other way round as it's in this case and in our society generally. Change must come at some point!

You speak sense. But we both agree that place should not be there to begin with.

Those who started building shelters there were wrong, the government that didn't prevent it from the get go is wrong. And since the government is meant to put pple first; some sort of compensation should be given. A way to say, "I'm sorry I allowed this to happen to begin with".

But given the present state of the state financially, houses cannot be realistically given to all residents there 2bh (maybe if corruption was brought to a 0% level and there's more cash; surplus. So they'd be paying monthly rent, in housings like government housing estates. From there, they can get their "footing"wink. But for now, naira compensation should do and maybe point them to alternative housing, if any.

Above should be the course of action, Govt. Fashola.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by sambos994(m): 4:08pm On Jul 24, 2012
mikeapollo: Some people here are supporting the destruction of Makoko because they claim the residents are illegal immigrants from Togo, Benin, Cameroun etc! Good!

So when Ghana starts deporting illegal immigrants who are Nigerians, or demolish their shanties/houses because they are 'illegal structures', I hope the same people would clap for Ghana! HYPOCRITES!

Hey....then let Ghana deport nigerians, i won't cry foul
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by perewesley(m): 4:40pm On Jul 24, 2012
slum clearance is an archaic way of addressing the issue of slum settlements, it is inhumane and is seriously discouraged by the UN, it just goes to show how backward we really are. From an urban planning perspective, mechanisms like slum upgrading, or selective displacement and relocation can be utilized, If only the all wise BRF had knowledgable planners in his cabinent or if he consulted the planning apparatus, he would have been advised that slum clearance is no good, it only recycles the slum proliferation process..sluw dwellers would simply move else were and set up another slum, so in reality fashola just moved the makoko slum else were.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by perewesley(m): 4:43pm On Jul 24, 2012
and by the way some cartoon headed naira landers are shouting that he gave them time to relocate..heard they were given only 72 hours, thats appaling, under law, the notice on such evictions should be 21 days, at least give the people some time to relocate back to their village or were ever they came from
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Okijajuju1(m): 4:46pm On Jul 24, 2012
perewesley: slum clearance is an archaic way of addressing the issue of slum settlements, it is inhumane and is seriously discouraged by the UN, it just goes to show how backward we really are. From an urban planning perspective, mechanisms like slum upgrading, or selective displacement and relocation can be utilized, If only the all wise BRF had knowledgable planners in his cabinent or if he consulted the planning apparatus, he would have been advised that slum clearance is no good, it only recycles the slum proliferation process..sluw dwellers would simply move else were and set up another slum, so in reality fashola just moved the makoko slum else were.

Fhuck the UN.. They encourage slum dwelling and then turn around to go their to carry out surveys to determine how poor we are or how wretched we are.. Fhuck them!!!

We do our shit the way we know how... We dont have to follow their principles, they are not the boss of us.. We displaced those illegal squatter, now they can relocate.. we can now develope that place.. Where ever those illegal immigrants go to next, when ever development catches up with them they will have an experience to fall back on!!!

Fhuck the UN again!!
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Newcrescent(m): 4:53pm On Jul 24, 2012
I understand they were given enough time to find an alternative and move out and I don't know if the government is supposed to pay you compensation for trying to fix something wrong you have done. Those shanties are more or less illegal structures destabilizing the drainage of the state. It's not just about Camerounians or other illegal immigrants living there, i'm sure there are more Nigerians than foreigners residing in those shanties. On whether Fash wld have accepted the treatment if his friend's were involved ? remember J.K Randle got the same treatment and Fashola told him to go do the right thing. [/font][/size][/color][/quote]

I dont know why PDP is sounding a discordant tune towards this. I have always know that "No pain, No Gain". Elites should have been called upon to mediate in this issue, to find or proffer a solution to ameliorate the sufferings of the just among the lots. Day-in, day-out, we are being woken up from our beds with "Global warming" yet some nonsensical politicians are busy casting aspersions.

The Ajegunle axis towards Ikorodu, I guess is still very fresh in our minds, even all over the world govt are trying to curtail the sordid rise in water body. Let's paint a scenario: Would you want water to wash away most of our people or we pave way by clearing all the shanties?

Over and out!
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by perewesley(m): 6:15pm On Jul 24, 2012
Okija_juju:

Fhuck the UN.. They encourage slum dwelling and then turn around to go their to carry out surveys to determine how poor we are or how wretched we are.. Fhuck them!!!

We do our shit the way we know how... We dont have to follow their principles, they are not the boss of us.. We displaced those illegal squatter, now they can relocate.. we can now develope that place.. Where ever those illegal immigrants go to next, when ever development catches up with them they will have an experience to fall back on!!!

Fhuck the UN again!!

You have just spoken like a truely ignorant Nigerian, how does the UN encourage slum dwelling? If only our goverment was sincere and less corrupt maybe they would have initiated a social housing program for the urban poor
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by mikeapollo: 6:42pm On Jul 24, 2012
New crescent: I understand they were given enough time to find an alternative and move out and I don't know if the government is supposed to pay you compensation for trying to fix something wrong you have done. Those shanties are more or less illegal structures destabilizing the drainage of the state. It's not just about Camerounians or other illegal immigrants living there, i'm sure there are more Nigerians than foreigners residing in those shanties. On whether Fash wld have accepted the treatment if his friend's were involved ? remember J.K Randle got the same treatment and Fashola told him to go do the right thing. [/font][/size][/color]

I dont know why PDP is sounding a discordant tune towards this. I have always know that "No pain, No Gain". Elites should have been called upon to mediate in this issue, to find or proffer a solution to ameliorate the sufferings of the just among the lots. Day-in, day-out, we are being woken up from our beds with "Global warming" yet some nonsensical politicians are busy casting aspersions.

The Ajegunle axis towards Ikorodu, I guess is still very fresh in our minds, even all over the world govt are trying to curtail the sordid rise in water body. Let's paint a scenario: Would you want water to wash away most of our people or we pave way by clearing all the shanties?

Over and out!

Please, stop the lies. They were given just 3 days notice. There was no court permit/order, no alternative temporary accomodation, no compensation, then you killed their chief!
Only a useless and irresponsble government would do that!
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by mikeapollo: 6:47pm On Jul 24, 2012
New crescent: I understand they were given enough time to find an alternative and move out and I don't know if the government is supposed to pay you compensation for trying to fix something wrong you have done. Those shanties are more or less illegal structures destabilizing the drainage of the state. It's not just about Camerounians or other illegal immigrants living there, i'm sure there are more Nigerians than foreigners residing in those shanties. On whether Fash wld have accepted the treatment if his friend's were involved ? remember J.K Randle got the same treatment and Fashola told him to go do the right thing. [/font][/size][/color]

Over and out!

Please, stop the lies. They were given just 3 days notice. There was no court permit/order, no alternative temporary accomodation, no compensation, then you killed their chief!
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by mikeapollo: 6:47pm On Jul 24, 2012

Over and out!

Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by solelymade: 8:08pm On Jul 24, 2012
Wat nonsense is some dude sayin here. d govt is 100 percent right to have demolished mokoko. some of the dude living there could have lived a better life in their villages but chose to add to the problem in lagos. must every1 live in the city;most of the guys here am sure do not even pay taxes yet dey add to d numerous troubles in dis cities living in shanty and slum. And some starry-eyed idealist will say the govt will reclaim d slum and allocate to themselves and friends abeg if dem no alokate to demselves na poor man make dem alokate to so as to develop it into shanty again. 4 a city to develop makoko and other shanties must go and compensation needs not be paid to the settlers because in d first place d land was illegally claimed.
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by ceaser: 8:13pm On Jul 24, 2012
Okija_juju: ...Fashola should stand strong... If we are to move from this pit where we currently are as a Nation, sacrifices have to be made.. Alot of people may not like it, but it has to be done.. That Makoko Shanty town has no plce in the future that we are trying to build.. Should we continue to allow foolishness so that some people would be happy?!! GOD FORBID..

In all the other states where alot of shaties have been allowed to grow out of control, be prepared, because one day when the development gets to your area you would have to move.. Makoko is gone and gone for good.. The PDP should stop trying to score cheap political points with this Makoko issue.. If Fashola is to even consider any form of compensation, it would be at his own discretion and should be to only those people who can prove they are indeed indigenes/natives of Lagos state..

My heart goes out to all those who may have been displaced, but lets not forget that they were living in precarious conditions that could have led to serious health problems.. They were shitting directly into the water, had power lines criss crossing each other, the layout of the place was a fire harzard waiting to breakout.. I can almost swear it that 85% of the inhabitants of that shanty are from states like Ondo, Akwa Ibom, Anambra and co.. They are mostly those people who came to the city in search of greener pastures only to realize that the city can be a cruel place.. Let them all relocate back to their villages..

Next on the block would be Ajegunle...

Who here is old enough to remember the days of Maroko?!! When Raji Rasaki evicted the people of Maroko, thats how everybody screamed and yelled.. Well today, you will all agree that it was a brilliant idea afterall..

Like Maroko, Makoko has got to go... No mercy!!

P.S Notice the similarities between both incidences.. NAME: Maroko.. Makoko!! GOVERNORS WHO DEMOLISHED THEM: Raji Rasaki.. Raji Fashola.. lol

Good rhyme, that is. But wetin u come dey sìddon nairaland for na? You for done go into rapping. grin . Maybe you'd succeed more than Da Grin (of blessed memory).
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by emsquare(m): 8:25pm On Jul 24, 2012
life_style: Enemy of progress undecided

Lmao
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by perewesley(m): 11:44pm On Jul 25, 2012
It breaks my heart to see the level of some peoples reasoning ability, the presence of slums in cities is a global problem, instead of celebrating the demolition of makoko and urging people to go back to their villages, what are we doing to obviate slum proliferation...@ those advocating for people to go back to their villages, have you ever heard of rural urban migration? it has always happened and the projection is that it would continue at an astronomical rate, now my question is what is the Lagos state government's plan to address the shortage in the housing stock, or better still to address the issues of rapid urbanization and slum development? considering population projections which predict that Lagos is going to be the 2nd most populous city in the world after Tokyo by 2050!
we basically do not plan in Nigeria, ask any state government in Nigeria, what's your urban development plan for the next 4 years, they are absolutely clueless! smh
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On Jul 29, 2012
perewesley: It breaks my heart to see the level of some peoples reasoning ability, the presence of slums in cities is a global problem, instead of celebrating the demolition of makoko and urging people to go back to their villages, what are we doing to obviate slum proliferation...@ those advocating for people to go back to their villages, have you ever heard of rural urban migration? it has always happened and the projection is that it would continue at an astronomical rate, now my question is what is the Lagos state government's plan to address the shortage in the housing stock, or better still to address the issues of rapid urbanization and slum development? considering population projections which predict that Lagos is going to be the 2nd most populous city in the world after Tokyo by 2050!
we basically do not plan in Nigeria, ask any state government in Nigeria, what's your urban development plan for the next 4 years, they are absolutely clueless! smh
Apparently, Makoko is 200 years old, older than Lagos state itself. Should we take a new look at the situation here.

How can you celebrate the demolition of a 200 year old settlement, simply on grounds that you want to blame the people for the problem of Urban migration?
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by perewesley(m): 10:19pm On Jul 30, 2012
you obviously did not read my post, i did not blame them for migrating, the issue at hand is the way the situation was handled
Kobojunkie:
Apparently, Makoko is 200 years old, older than Lagos state itself. Should we take a new look at the situation here.

How can you celebrate the demolition of a 200 year old settlement, simply on grounds that you want to blame the people for the problem of Urban migration?
Re: Makoko’s Demolition: Lagos, PDP Disagree by olushanuoba: 1:20pm On Oct 05, 2012
For crusing , sport , well being programme and travel plans, please contact me +2348066079210 or corporate leisure ltd @ 45 C, Sobo Arobiodu Street, GRA,Ikeja, Lagos state Nigeria.

NB: to watch EPL MATCHES LIVE , PLS CALL. U can check our website for more information

www.corporateleisureltd.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

CPC Attacks Okupe For Criticizing Buhari / Navy Parades Four Pirates In Lagos / Asset Declaration: Fashola, Adeosun, Amaechi, 16 Others Yet To Fully Comply; CCB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.