Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,539 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years (29006 Views)

Buhari Should Be Allowed To Rule Beyond 2019, Says Wamakko / "Jonathan May Not Rule Beyond 2015"..Asari Dokubo / Patience Jonathan - I Didnt Undergo Any Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by uncleb(m): 12:52pm On Jul 24, 2012
Nigeria President has declared that he has the right to rule more than eight years in office. Recently, he stated that its too early to declare his stance on 2015 during his presidential media chat. But based on his claim below, every reasonable Nigerian should be able to read their president's mindset. Please read full details below.

President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday affirmed that his stay in office could legally go beyond eight years under certain conditions.

Jonathan told an Abuja High Court hearing a suit against his alleged 2015 re-election bid. Jonathan while responding in a suit asking the court to declare him ineligible to run for re-election because that would extend his tenure beyond the maximum eight years provided by the constitution, given that he took over as President in May 2010 after the death of then-President Yar’Adua.

The case was filed by Peoples Democratic Party presidential aspirant, Mr Cyriacus Njoku, on March 20 seeking the determination of section 135 (2) and 137 (1) of the Constitution which limit presidential tenure to maximum of two terms of four years each.

Njoku is asking the court to determine whether in spite of these provisions President Jonathan can seek re-election and take a third oath of office having already taken oaths twice, first on May 6, 2010 after Yar’Adua’s death and then on May 29, 2011 after the general elections.

Yesterday, while arguing the substantive motion, counsel to Njoku, Mr Ugochukwu Osuagwu, cited the Supreme Court decision in January on General Buba Marwa and INEC where it held that no elected person can stay in office beyond an initial term of four years. This was the ruling that affected the tenure of the five governors who won re-run elections in 2008.

But counsel to Jonathan, Mr Kenechukwu Nomeh, who represented Mr Ade Okeaya-Inneh (SAN), argued that under section 315 (3) of the constitution, a president could stay in office for additional time beyond his tenure in certain circumstances.

“The tenure of occupant of an office can be extended by the National Assembly for six months in following conditions: when the nation is at war and in situation of death of the occupant of the office which applies to President Jonathan,” he said.

Also citing the decision of the Supreme Court on Ojukwu and Obasanjo in 2004, Nomeh argued that section 137 (1) (d) contemplated a “person elected into office twice” not by appointment into same office though both entails oath taking.

He urged the court to dismiss the suit for being incompetent and premature.

Also in its counter affidavit, the PDP represented by Mr I. C. Paul argued that under section 137 of the constitution, Jonathan was only elected once into office in April 2011 and still “has the right to contest for a fresh term if he so wishes.”

Earlier, Justice Mudashiru Oniyangi overruled an objection by Jonathan and the PDP that a certain newspaper publication is not a sufficient cause of action. The publication in question, marked Exhibit VRA 1, is the Punch newspaper of March 16, 2012, which contained a statement credited to the Jonathan’s spokesman Reuben Abati alluding to the President’s intention to seek re-election.
Oniyangi also upheld the submission of Mr Njoku that the suit being a constitutional matter, he needed not show evidence of sufficient interest as locus standi to institute the action.
October 18, has been fixed for next judgement, considering that the annual vacation of the FCT High Court begins on August 6.

http://dailypost.com.ng/2012/07/24/i-right-rule-eight-years-office-jonathan/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by miteolu(m): 2:28pm On Jul 24, 2012
grin grin grin
1. When GEJ is about to be impeached?
2. How can court dismiss the suit for being incompetent and premature?
3. 'A president could stay in office for additional time beyond his tenure in certain circumstances' is nonsense when GEJ is not perform.
4. If GEJ is an employee of a company he would have been sack since.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by chucky234(m): 2:28pm On Jul 24, 2012
I can rule beyond 8 years, is that a threat?

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by PrinceNN(m): 2:29pm On Jul 24, 2012
*just passing by* undecided

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:30pm On Jul 24, 2012
This Power is getting this man Intoxicated

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by DICKtator: 2:30pm On Jul 24, 2012
Y not? But not @ aso rock though. Perhaps ur house!!!!

grin grin grin grin

15 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by abujub(m): 2:31pm On Jul 24, 2012
General GEJ, u can rule for more than 80 years!
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by SuyaEater(m): 2:31pm On Jul 24, 2012
Idiotic president ...this is how dictatorship start
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by CHAIRMAN1(m): 2:33pm On Jul 24, 2012
Yay! First cheesy
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by SisiKill1: 2:34pm On Jul 24, 2012
Well now it all makes sense. . .GEJ think Nigeria and Nigerians are characters in an elaborate dream he is having.

Awwww, no wonder the poor man can't understand all the angst directed at him. It's his dream dammit and he will do as he wishes!!!! angry angry

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by expat: 2:34pm On Jul 24, 2012
Dear Mr. President,

in a democracy Leaders don't rule. They serve their country.

Regards

22 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by ifihearam: 2:34pm On Jul 24, 2012
yes ofcourse your excellency,why cant you afterall if you leave ofice 2019,you must have ruled for over 9years which i guess is unprecedented. but why are you people like this sef? when tunde bakare said he will shortlive his tenure none of you complained oo now he has said he can rule beyond his tenure you are all shouting why?? na

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by ifihearam: 2:35pm On Jul 24, 2012
y,why cant you afterall if you leave ofice 2019,you must have ruled for over 9years which i guess is unprecedented. but why are you people like this sef? when tunde bakare said he will shortlive his tenure none of you complained oo now he has said he can rule beyond his tenure you are all shouting why?? na

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by Okijajuju1(m): 2:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
...He is very correct.. All he did was complete the mandate of the late Yaradua who was the duly elected president not him!

Team GOOLDLUCK 2015!! Fresh Breeze Campaign[size=12pt][/size]

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
The military boys will kick his ar'se out of aso rock.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by tunapawizzy: 2:36pm On Jul 24, 2012
Dear GEJ Won bi baba e da........

8 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by tohirah(f): 2:37pm On Jul 24, 2012
I thought plans are on to impeach him and he still get mouth to talk 'rule for more than 8 years'.
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by tonyx4x44(m): 2:38pm On Jul 24, 2012
miteolu: grin grin grin
1. When GEJ is about to be impeached?
2. How can court dismiss the suit for being incompetent and premature?
3. 'A president could stay in office for additional time beyond his tenure in certain circumstances' is nonsense when GEJ is not perform.
4. If GEJ is an employee of a company he would have been sack since.

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by DICKtator: 2:40pm On Jul 24, 2012
"Power corrupts, Absolute power corrupts absolutely".

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jul 24, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday affirmed that his stay in office could legally go beyond eight years under certain conditions.

^^^^Why under certain conditions? And is it allowed in the Nigerian constitution?

This lame duck has been a TOTAL FAILURE - 8 years is freaking too long, he needs to be kicked out before the end of the year.

Nigeria deserves a better president.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by Zulele: 2:41pm On Jul 24, 2012
But chairman still get right 2 rule abi? After αℓℓ, he got lucky by succeeding the late president and then he was voted into office by you. IMO, he still has α tenure τ̲̅ȍ go only 'if' he wants τ̲̅ȍ....... Abi?
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 24, 2012
mr GEJ its ur time spend it as u like... Cus one day its shall end.
I dont need to worry abt dis cus i dont see him completing d 1st 4yrs. Haba talk anoda issue.
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by CLIQBOY(m): 2:42pm On Jul 24, 2012
THE MAN S!CK!!!!
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 24, 2012
Effects of cassava bread.

6 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by mila1121(m): 2:43pm On Jul 24, 2012
Pray for GOD to give you life before you decide the future mr president remember the rich fool
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by dramaticspeak(m): 2:43pm On Jul 24, 2012
DICKtator: "Power corrupts, Absolute power corrupts absolutely".
yo mst b a government stdent.
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by dramaticspeak(m): 2:43pm On Jul 24, 2012
lol
Reyginus: Effects of cassava bread.
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by Welder(m): 2:44pm On Jul 24, 2012
Retardeen... go on jor!

Rule forever, then when you die... her excellency with the fellow widows will continue...

welcome Nigerians to the reign of corruption...eti rin nkan nkan!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 24, 2012
Nigeria needs a revolution asap...

This guy isn't intelligent enough to be a MP, how did he become the president of a country as big as Nigeria?

Useless country! undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by SisiKill1: 2:46pm On Jul 24, 2012
Minor Edit

Okija_juju: ...He is very correct.. All he did was complete the mandate of the late Yaradua who was the duly elected president not him!

Team GOOLDLUCK 2015 AND BEYOND!! Fresh Breeze Campaign[size=12pt][/size]

You are welcome!! smiley
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by MMM2(m): 2:46pm On Jul 24, 2012
Gej
Talking is free
Re: Jonathan: I Can Rule Beyond 8 Years by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jul 24, 2012
I have hidden my post! "Eyes popping out of its socket"

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Heavy Riot At Ladipo Market / PHCN Car Turns Bread-Selling Car (Photo) / CCB Charges: FG Wasted Three Years Fighting Political Enemies - Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.