Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

A Rejoinder To Pastor Bakare's Sermon On How To Change Govt Peacefully - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Rejoinder To Pastor Bakare's Sermon On How To Change Govt Peacefully (658 Views)

PDP Bigwigs That Are Not Afraid Of Buhari: A Rejoinder / "Settling Our Differences With Igbos": What Yorubas Think, - A Rejoinder / How To Hit It Big In 'change' Govt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Rejoinder To Pastor Bakare's Sermon On How To Change Govt Peacefully by Genbuhari3: 6:47am On Jul 25, 2012
I have not always been a keen reader of Pastor Tunde Bakare’s commentary and opinions, even his preaching, not for any reason other than that I don’t take interest in his views especially as regards to Fasting’ neither have I supported or voted for him during the last general election – again not because he paired with General Muhammed Buhari (rtd) but because having followed and observed the humiliation Mr Goodluck Jonathan was subjected to before and after the death of late President Yaradua especially in the schemes of Mrs Yaradua, Aondoakaa, former Speaker of the House of Assembly – Dimeji Bankole, I made up my mind to vote against any other presidential candidate than Mr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.

Scouting my hourly routine on Saharareporters I was captivated by the caption of Pastor Bakare’s article, which I later learnt today was actually a sermon he delivered on Sunday in his Later Rain Church Lagos.  The title ‘’How to Change Government Peacefully...’’ was the catch especially the peacefully aspect. I couldn’t stop thinking how an African government could be changed peacefully.

At this juncture my curiosity forced me to read the article. In fact I had to study it because I had to bring my cross reference Bible to be sure Pastor Tunde Bakare (PTB) was not out to pull a funny one on me by cutting and joining  bible verses to make his points. I was wrong after all as the cross references were as accurate as the message he was trying to pass across.  

In the sermon I agreed totally with the Man of God. I was rather surprised on the comments some contributors were making about the article and the writer. For instance if someone was insinuating that PTB was having ‘’bad dream’’ and ‘…enraged…’’ (ifeanyi-Democracy Forever, Khumalo et al) because he lost an election, my memory could not fail me if I defend that PTB fought harder than any living Nigerian Pastor/Man of God, Iman, Herbalist or even Witch to that matter to see the same Mr Jonathan we talk about was enthroned as President of Nigeria when the so-called cabal, as Mrs Akunyili termed them, were stuck that Turai rather becomes the first Nigerian female President than Jonathan to be allowed the seat. In fact it was said that even Governor Sylva of the same Bayelsa as Jonathan openly worked against the emergence of Mr Jonathan as President of Nigeria!

It is amazing that memories are failing some people in such a short time as 12 months on the role the so-called ‘’enraged’’ PTB played in pulling us this far. It reminds me of the late Nigerian goal-machine Rahidi Yekini who was called ‘’mad-man’’, ‘’demented man’’ and all sorts of names when he was roaming Ibadan as a moving image of Nigerian sorry-football story only to be immortalised just last week by the same government that saw him roam like a ‘’demented man’’.

Two key areas of Pastor Bakare’s sermon made huge impact, which are,
1.    Demon Can Rule Through Men: I agree totally. A case fresh in history was the story of Chief Theodore Orji of Abia State. Pictures of this man standing stack naked in Okija shrine chained and forced to take oath of perpetual allegiance to Chief Orji Uzo Kalu and his mother Eunice Kalu was all over the news. If those pictures were true Abian should simply ask on whose authority today is Gov Orji standing to ‘’rule’’ them. Today the situation in Abia could be a living testimony of who indeed rules Abia State.

The carriage and utterances of Mr. Jonathan implicitly points that he may be but a dangerous medium to rule Nigeria. This suspicion was climaxed at the infamous media chart he granted some weeks ago from-which he has been baptised ‘’President I-don’t-Give-A-Damn’’
a.    If demons and Satan, or God at that, do not rule the world through man as Medium, why was it rumoured and reported that General Obasanjo (rtd) had to engage the services of 30 Men of God to ‘’sanitize’’ Aso Rock before he occupied it for 8 years? Am sure he was suggesting that God rule through him
b.    Jezebel was a human being but demons ruled through her to the point she exhibited ‘’I don’t Give A Damn’’ attitude as we are experiencing in Nigeria today and she wanted to ‘’steal’’ the Vineyard of the helpless man, as we seem helpless to in Nigeria, before God used another Medium in the person of Jehu to crush the lesser Medium!
c.    Who says God cannot use any medium to crush a lesser medium?
d.    King Ahasuerus, Mordecia even Esther were all mediums the Almighty used to change the Government and the people prospered.
e.    If Pastor Tunde Bakare (PTB) makes noise, as he is being labelled, so be it so long a bad government is kicked out for good and better.

2.    Election May Hold Before 2015: who says this is not possible? If Mr Jonathan was sworn in before 2011 when general election should take place why can’t it happen in his time?
a.    It is great the House is kicking for impeachment of this supposedly rogue federal government that have refused to remove what is clogging our wheels – corruption, how far they will go is another matter to consider.
b.    It is also not out of place if the people would revolt as PTB opined as a possible last option. Historically, people’s revolt and revolution have always been instigated by the ruling and political class. What should one make in a society where N155b just vanished with evidences of where it was later found yet the rulers could not give good reason for such disappearance?

Going back to my point of commentary, I am of the opinion that issues PTB is raising are as genuine as the options available to confront them. For anyone to say that these genuine calls for change and progress are because of loosing elections is as barbaric as the result of not saying anything. And for anyone to think that the Pulpit is sacrosanct only to preaching ‘’Repent for God loves you’’ than ‘Repent or perish’’ is as laughable as poverty of ideas that seems to have overtaken most of the leaders of today. The Expo (exam malpractice) generation of early 80s who are indeed the ruling class of today seems to be making a laughing stock of the entire polity.

I do not think that the preaching by PTB or that of any Iman somewhere in Damaturu is causing as much heat to the polity as the broad day robbery of the common wealth of the nation. As a matter of fact, if 1/10 of the ‘’big’’ Nigerian preachers or Men of God as they are called, could raise the heat and their voices as PTB, may be we will get to the Promised Land sooner than 40 years!

A commentator to the article actually audaciously declared that it’s only the prayers of the Pastors of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) that would ‘’redeem’’ Nigeria. If only the donkeys could have wings them it will be easier for the merchant to get to Jericho on time! I want to believe that the commentator is not speaking officially for the RCCG because the Catholic, Anglican, Assemblies and many more have paid as much dues to saving Nigeria as the ordinary student in the out-of-reach schools of some of these acclaimed ‘great men of God’

The feeling I have is that the critique of the government by people like PTB are long overdue and should be supported and partnered. If judgement should start from the Pulpit, then call for change should actually originate from the Pulpit.

From Biblical opinion, Samuel was in the camp of Saul till the glory departed him (Saul). God did not listen to the opinion of men when he chose Saul because he (God) sees beyond what we see. Today if PTB could go all out for Jonathan to become president why should I fault him if he stands now against him especially when the reasons are obvious? Mr Jonathan should be harshly chastised to wake him up from his strange slumber! The characteristics him and his family is offering Nigeria is deeply worrisome and highly unbecoming of a President.

The mockery of PTB and his article on ‘how to change a government’ is as undoing as the intents of the mockers. There is nowhere in the entire Bible, of all versions, that Preachers are exempted from the politics of their days. A good bible scholar would exegete that Solomon and David were all Priests and Kings who carried out full Priestley and Kingly roles during their times. Ezra, Nehemiah and many more were Priests, Kings-of-sort and Warriors at same time. So its biblically myopic for one to insinuate that Priest should be secluded to the little holes of their pulpit than to even aspire, nominated or be elected to rule over the people. Understandably, there are couple of instances in the scriptures where Priests declined offers to rule as Kings but loosing an ‘’election’’ by a Priest does not amount to God not being with him or her. There are also some biblical instances where God actually sanctioned an action and decides to let it fail. Who can question God?

My point therefore remains that if God wants to use Pastor Tunde Bakare to kick or remove a diabolic regime, who are we to say no. It reminds me of what transpired when the Jewish political leaders were deliberating on how to deal with Jesus, his disciples and His teachings and one man cautioned that if indeed God has sanctioned the actions of Jesus and his people, no one can, would or will stop them. The same could be the case here!

Contribution by
Rev Ayobanna Ikeanumba, DTheo
Director, Africa Debate Institute
Johannesburg, South Africa
Email: ayobanna@live.com
Re: A Rejoinder To Pastor Bakare's Sermon On How To Change Govt Peacefully by dasparrow: 6:59am On Jul 25, 2012
This is a very insightful opinion by the Rev Ikeanumba. He made some very valid points.

(1) (Reply)

No More Crises In Plateau From Now On –jang Tells Jos Muslims / “my ‘SAN’ Rank Will Be Deployed To The Struggle For The Liberation Of Nigeria” – / Dana Crash: Victim’s Corpse ‘disappears’ In Morgue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.