Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,265 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest (36474 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / Jonathan’s Approval Needed To Demolish Amigo Supermarket (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Yujin(m): 9:21pm On Jul 28, 2012
Igbo muslims do exist but are of insignificant number just like the Hausa and Fulani christians(not hausa/fulani).
@Topic
The beautification/town planning project is not done with sentiments as we all have witnessed demolition of all sorts of structures in Abuja and Lagos among other states. The protest CANNOT stop the Anambra state govt. just like it didn't stop other state govt. under similar circumstance. However, Anambra state govt should provide another land that is if they(muslims) actually owned the land upon which the present one stands. If that is not the case, then they should purchase another land in a more secured place.
There is no case here.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by MMM2(m): 9:22pm On Jul 28, 2012
I wish d governor will burn dem & d mosque together angry

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by jude33084(m): 9:30pm On Jul 28, 2012
phemmy1987: The governor shld b careful abt his decision inoda to avoid him of unnecessary violence in d state. Islam is a religion of peace nt else bt peace.

[size=15pt]A Peaceful Religion indeed![/size] angry

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by klax(m): 9:37pm On Jul 28, 2012
But why this cry about demolition of Mosque is Anambra the first state to do such worship place demolition?? If a structure stand in an obstructed place and the govt want to demolish it so what is the big deal in that for goodness sake??

Everything as per islam is all about noise, unecessary rants and threat. Sorry to say this if the structure is in wrong place or the govt felt its a danger to their society the building should be level and relocate them to somewhere else if need be plz.

Boko Haram has be killing, bombing churches and burning churches in the North has there be any protest yet by the xtain? so what a hell is the big deal in pulling down the so called pretending hideout buit all around the country to perpetraite evil? Pls I dont see any big deal in this if to the muslim in the north its no big deal in bombing churches and killing of xtain then if the mosque is wrongly located and should be pull down then no big deal. Let the govt. give them a new site more saver and better if need be. That is all.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by ulimited: 9:39pm On Jul 28, 2012
jomonic:

Oga please suggest other ways of explaning this to the muslims to avoid crisis. Methinks that Anambra government should demolish this mosque if indeed it is blocking access ways very well identified in their master plan. I do not see how the government owe any body or organization any explanation when they are acting within the law. The muslims or BOKO HARAM can go violent if they wish. They have been doing so all these years and without any body provoking them
boko haram is muslims and muslims are boko haram we are use to thier violent is nt new is thier religous teching
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by nnalove(m): 9:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
If na me be peter obi walahi i no go fit tell them but i go allow them may them enter their useless prayer then i go throw bomb inside and use machine to demolish every every.

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by nnalove(m): 9:41pm On Jul 28, 2012
nnalove: If na me be peter obi walahi i no go fit tell them but i go allow them may them enter their useless prayer then i go throw bomb inside and use machine to demolish every every.

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by klax(m): 9:48pm On Jul 28, 2012
@ phemmy1987: The governor shld b careful abt his decision inoda to avoid him of unnecessary violence in d state. Islam is a religion of peace nt else bt peace.

Plz I hate reading or hear that word ISLAM IS "PEACE" that word peace attached to islam annoys me a lot. Where is the peace? Afganistan? Yemen? Boko animals in Nigeria? Pakistan? Somalia? Sudan? Syria? Iraq? Iran? Indonesia? Bin Laden? Terrorist? Bombers? blood suckers? Sharia?? pls tell me where is the peace? A religion that does not even have respect for Mosque where mosque could be blown off even on Friday during prayer hour. A religion that dont know different between fasting period and ordinary period all is kill and kill and bombing, look at Iraq just few days ago killed in hundred and in fasting perion is it not?You better say something else ok if not just simply keep quiet.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by omayyi: 9:50pm On Jul 28, 2012
Mumu igbos. If everybody say hin no want foreigners for hin land, na dis ba5tard5 igbos go suffer pass. With that there tiny land for SE them still get mind. I pray they step on the wrong feet.

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Princessaleeza: 9:50pm On Jul 28, 2012
ifihearam: I have never seen an igbo man who is a muslim before oooo. Just finking aloud sha
there re igbo Muslims but they re few.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Yeske2(m): 9:53pm On Jul 28, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
Lack of religious tolerance.

Let's say Nigeria splits tomorrow, how peaceful would the ex-SE part of Nigeria be? I really feel sorry for una.
Don't pity us,just tell me how you'd manage your sorry azz in Ekiti when Amelika deports you.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by jude33084(m): 9:53pm On Jul 28, 2012
bright007: Why are igbos feigning ignorance on d existence of igbo-muslims?
It is å hard fact to most Igbos dat some of their brothers are muslims but that is d truth.

I know of ån igbo man in Ojodu in Lagos who is å muslim.
He is wealthy,quiet and u only get to notice him in d neighbourhood on rare occasions.
People know him as chief Ozormena but don't know if he is really å chief or maybe he was nicknamed by friends.I also heard he is from Enugu.
One conspicuous feature u see on him is his long beards that will make u doubt if he is igbo.He has many of this Alhaji as friends who pay him constant visits.
Some rumours making rounds in d neighbourhood says he is gayy

grin that guy is ∂ business ♏ãn
cheesy
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by oc2fish: 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2012
I have never come across an igbo Muslim. long time ago I was tempted to change my name to muslim name so that i can be able togain admission to university to study medcine the plan then was to write new ssce with the name and use such for Jamb. I was desiperate and becos of high cut off mark that people frm my state must attain b4 been given admission. When i finally settled for another course i met several of the abok's whom i score better than studying medcine.

Most of my friends were muslim while growing up and they were so friendly and each time i want to say something bad about the ALLAH of B/H i feel guilty but anywhere we all know that islam as presented by the B/H is a religion for rapist, killers and heartlesss people. If i am the Gov of Anambra I will buildoze them and thier COVEN out of ethernity.According to an advert we are Nigerian but Islam is turning us to terriost.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by jude33084(m): 10:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
omayyi :
Mumu igbos. If everybody say hin no want foreigners for hin land, na dis ba5tard5 igbos go suffer pass. With that there tiny land for SE them still get mind. I pray they step on the wrong feet.

cheesy Brosss I was told that Ɣ☺Ʊ have started skipping ♈☺uЯ drugs oh!
Pls continue to take it and be ∂ ƍöôϑ boy
cheesy grin wink
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by DExplorer1: 10:10pm On Jul 28, 2012
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Ndjones(m): 10:25pm On Jul 28, 2012
aretedo: @UNCLE JJ who told you yorubas are not "muslims"?am a yoruba and a proud muslim,only Allah can judge who is a muslim or not ,your judgement is totally on false premises.
My guy anytime there's a riot in the north, go there and claim muslim whether hausaman no go first comot ur head before him find igboman own
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 28, 2012
jude33084:

grin that guy is ∂ business ♏ãn
cheesy

All those claiming that there are no igbo muslims. If you want to meet Igbo muslims take this simple step: go to facebook and search for "Igbo muslims" Shikenan
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jul 28, 2012
revomind:

Keep telling yourself that. Who knows, it may solve the 'problem'. Maybe the igbo muslims some of us have met are just 'fabrications'.
Check very well such fellow whom you have seen as an Igbo who nods his head on the ground probably do so because of what an alhaji has promised him if He practice that religion, He will definitely be the only one in His entire family and live in isolation until He retraces His step. I personally havn't come in contact with any but, have heared of some one who joined solely for what He stands to get Whom i believe by now must have known His right from left.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by nawtyme: 11:16pm On Jul 28, 2012
Pls we the Igbos are not confused. We are all christains. Any igboman who is a muslim is fake nd did it for economic nd political reasons. Let me ask, what can one gain from a religion that knows nothing other than kill ! Kill !! And kill !!!
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by aryzgreat: 11:28pm On Jul 28, 2012
what gives this b.a.s.t.a.r.d infidels d gut to determine how an igbo state (Anambra for dat matter) is governed? OMG! wot is peter obi still waiting for? angry Level dat cult mushroon coven wia evil plans are hatched out with immediate effect! wot da hell is dat house doing in onitsha for God's sake? They should be given an option of buying land inside farmland at onitsha outskirt as they do to churches in d north.

For those blabbing about "igbo muslim" does igbo muslim sound sweet in ur mouth? Gosh! Any igbo muslim is an outcast! and i advocate be-heading for such defilers! We dont welcome islam in igboland! its abomination and highly prohibited in our land! any greedy igbo bisness man dat claims muslim to gain favour from an alhaji is welcomed to restrict his fake muslimism to d north and south west! Any effort to defile our blood with this anomally will be highly rebuked and rejected by we igbos, infact i will lead a zionist group to eliminate them 1 by 1! Rubbish!

I wish i was in onitsha when dis animals wia protesting angry angry angry
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by akpunku1: 11:29pm On Jul 28, 2012
study these rules carefully...

Rule1: igbos are 100% non-muslims
Rule2: incase u meet an igbo muslim, im sori read rule one again.

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by NeuroBoss(m): 11:31pm On Jul 28, 2012
illiest:

Dont mind the lie lie people. Igbo man go RATHER DO JUJU than become a muslim
That was SHARP. I like it!
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jul 28, 2012
nawtyme: Pls we the Igbos are not confused. We are all christains. Any igboman who is a muslim is fake nd did it for economic nd political reasons. Let me ask, what can one gain from a religion that knows nothing other than kill ! Kill !! And kill !!!

And the hausa/fulani christains also follow christ for economic and political reasons ? What a mo'r'on.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by ebere1712: 11:37pm On Jul 28, 2012
If you genuinely accept islam, you have automatically renounced being igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Dawdy(m): 11:40pm On Jul 28, 2012
ebere1712: If you genuinely accept islam, you have automatically renounced being igbo.
U dis egbere are worse than stupid bastard!
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by naijathings(m): 11:45pm On Jul 28, 2012
Why all the noise about demolition of the mosque for the benefit of state affairs?
Do Christians complain when bokoharam demolish their churches with bombs and violence?
Now some of you say the Anambra govt should be careful not to stir up violence and religious turmoil.
What type of religion openly opposes the govt and threatens with violence and killing of Christians? SMH
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Rencent(m): 11:47pm On Jul 28, 2012
Struggling to Find Community: An Igbo Convert Story....

By Miriam, a graduate student in Philadelphia

You may see me in the crowd in my community saying, “kedu” (hello) or chanting “eh” after “Igbo Kwenu” (“Igbo speak”). On the outside, I am your typical Igbo-American girl. However there is nothing typical about me – I am Igbo and a Muslimah (gasp!). Shock to you? Perhaps not, but to many in my community it is. Many Igbos and even Nigerians claim that “there are no Igbo Muslims.” Well, sorry to break it to you, but I am living proof that I am full Igbo and a practicing Muslim. When I tell Igbos that I am a Muslim, I frequently hear “tifaqua” (God forbid!). I am not married to a Muslim (a common thought among many), nor was I tricked into the faith by a fellow Muslim. I converted (Alhamduillah) because I felt like this was the right path for me – to convert to another faith- the same convictions that drove my forefathers before me to convert to Christianity. Others may claim that “Islam is not compatible with Igbo culture,” yet I challenge them to prove that Christianity is more compatible to our heritage than our traditional indigenous beliefs that preceded it for thousands of years. What many fail to realize is that we are a product of our environment. If Buddhists took control of Igbo land, we would most likely be Buddhist and still strong in that faith and conviction. My challenge for everyone reading is to analyze why you believe what you believe – and to respect and agree to disagree with others who may differ.

To be a Muslim in my community is difficult – not impossible, but challenging. Many of our practices, cultures and beliefs rest heavily on Christianity, even though Christianity arose among the Igbos in the 1900s. In fact, my great grandfathers were not Christian. How do I come to terms with cultural beliefs such as reincarnation? This belief is ingrained in my people. Even my grandfather, a Christian, believes in reincarnation – even though it goes against the principles of Christianity. Are masquerades (symbolizing the dead) halal? Is breaking the kola nut (see a kola nut ceremony) a preservation of my rich culture or an abomination in the eyes of Allah (Subhanahu wa ta ala)? How can I find a happy medium yet preserve my identity as an Igbo? Today, this still remains a challenge. I am still trying to find a community – even if small – of people of my own ethnic background. Are there people like me? I asked myself, “do Igbo Muslims exist?” Frustrated, I scoured the internet for anything – ANYTHING that would reassure me that there were people like me. Alhamduillah, I came across this blog – about an Igbo Muslimah convert named Ify. I contacted Ify immediately, and soon we became friends.

While I expected hostility from my own community, I am somewhat dumbfounded and shocked by the treatment that I have received from some born Muslims. This is certainly not an attack on the fellow Muslims who have embraced me and provided support, but rather a critique of the way some born Muslims interact with converts. You never know who might be a new Muslim – one may have converted only a few hours before your encounter. Your interaction can either help a new Muslim embrace their faith or help them leave it. I can sympathize with why a Muslim may leave Islam, due to a lack of community – especially if you are non-white. No one comes to you, and invites you for iftar during Ramadan. No one introduces you to people they know in their family who are looking for a wife. I can be assured that if I walk into a local church, I would at least be greeted with a “hello” or a “welcome” and a smile by one stranger in the church. As for the masjid? Not so much. Are some masajid unwelcoming? Yes – and I have yet to find a welcoming masjid in my area. I desperately long for the feeling of community, acceptance, and support, which is so critical to building my faith. In the predominantly Desi/Arab masjid I have attended, as a Black Muslimah, I am invisible – I exchange salaams with women who give me cold looks. At the end of jumu'ah, the congregation lingers, talking and exchanging greetings while I, on the other hand, walk away, and even question if anyone noticed my presence at all.

However, the hostility has also occurred at the hands of fellow Africans. I can recall one instance when I stood next to an African woman, not realizing that she was praying on her own before the calling of the adhan. I had just converted, and was still trying to understand how to perform salah. She later looked at me sternly and said, “You don\'t know how to pray?” in front of others. Embarrassed, I made some excuse and apologized for the confusion. I was too embarrassed to announce to the entire group that stood around me that I had recently converted. She neither bothered to assist me nor to make me feel welcome. I never entered that masjid again. I would have preferred her to come to me and say, “Sister, I noticed that you were praying with me before the adhan? Normally, this is a private prayer.”

I am putting my story out there to paint a 3D picture of the life of a female convert to Islam that may be residing in your community. She was not a blank canvas before embracing Islam. Rather she had an established cultural identity and is trying to merge it with her faith to paint a picture of who she is today. She may not have the support of her family or community and needs the umma to become her second family. Honestly, if my faith alone rested in the hands of Muslims in my community, I would have left Islam long ago. However Allah (Subhanahu wa ta ala) gives me strength to persevere even through tribulations and I ask everyone to please make dua to make this easier and my faith strong.

But don\'t shed tears for me, just yet. I have found a small group of converts that I can call on for support. Recently, meeting Ify and her crew has expanded my circle, Alhamduillah. On a Friday night, Ify, her Muslimah friends, and I went out for cupcakes and pizza. We laughed, talked and giggled the night away. As I sat next to these women eating my delicious pizza, I thought to myself “so this is what a community feels like.” Alhamduillah, I think I have found a niche – a niche not based on culture, race or ethnic affiliation. But a niche based on the principles of Islam and the fear of Allah (Subhanahu wa ta ala) alone. Personally, I prefer the latter. Because while friends, family, and strangers may isolate you, the love of Allah (Subhanahu wa ta ala) is so much greater and and more rewarding.

1 Like

Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 28, 2012
ebere1712: If you genuinely accept islam, you have automatically renounced being igbo.

Utter gibberish. . . You mo'r'ons just open your mouths like you can dictate what gods your kinsmen worship or believe in.

Were your blood sucking ancestors christains ? Before christainity came,ibos have their own indigenious gods but where are they today ? instead you foools would rather kill yourselves over an arab vs israeli religions.Mschew
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by aryzgreat: 11:53pm On Jul 28, 2012

GBAM! GBAM!! GBAM!!! angry angry angry

Infact to accept islam as an igbo is akin to osu! or worst! Damn! LovePeddler betides any igbo dat tries to pollute our blood with islam angry

I know dat the press are trying to form federal character with dat "igbo muslim" rubbish. Such does'nt exist and any greedy bagger dreaming of such knows he cant come back to igboland. He will be an efulefu till he dies and buried in da north!
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by Rencent(m): 12:00am On Jul 29, 2012
I learned what Igbos are today! =D

May Allah make it easier for you sis. Glad to see that things are working out now.
..............................................................................................

Chinyere •−
"...as a Black Muslimah, I am invisible..."

Hehe, that's why I call myself "Invisible Muslimah."

Salaam, sis! Ele otu imere? wink

Nice to meet you! A friend of mine posted this on my blog and I had to come check it out! I stumbled upon Ify's blog after a friend posted a post by her on facebook. Igbo Muslims unite!

Igbo Muslim, yes. My Daddy's Igbo and my mother is African American. She's a Muslim convert, my father is Christian, son of a Faith Tabernacle preacher. Because my mother's faith and practice was stronger when I was growing up, and I was exposed to a black Muslim family near my hometown in Michigan...I grew up Muslim and affirmed my religion as an adult, becoming more practicing in college...

...it was only later that I discovered that being a Muslim Igbo was anathema, and that (and I respectfully disagree with the poster above) it's really hard to be a black Muslim(ah) in many communities, including my college's MSA. I mean, I got over it in a way I decided was best, but it still irks me that I go to an iftar at my medical school and a fellow Nigerian Muslimah (who is Yoruba) looks at me, doesn't know I'm Nigerian, but assumes that, because I am black, I'm not Muslim, but I am there at the iftar to show support for my fasting Muslim classmates...even though I'm there every day.

Wow!

Yes, hijab would have been obvious, but neither did she wear the hijab. I guess she didn't recognize me praying nearby her before we ate...

Also reading books by Dr. Jeffrey Lang, like, Losing my Religion: A Call For Help affirm this. He talks about how well he was received in his masjid for being white, "blue eyed," while the black brother was relatively ignored. Or listening to Hamza Perez, Puerto Rican brother, as he gave a talk at Harvard after the viewing of "New Muslim Cool," as he decries the way black Muslims are treated. It's real and it's shameful, and I'm tired of Muslims denying the rampant racism in our communities or excusing it as "human nature." But isn't Islam here for us to overcome those bad habits that may be part of our nature? Maybe?

Anyway, long comment. So I totally understand where you're coming from. I got so used to existing alone, and I guess I chose a certain path that has led me to relative isolation, but I'm happy you've found people (even via the internet...that remains an important community for me) to help affirm you as you journey into Islam! Communities for those like us are hard-won, but I feel like they're ultimately rewarding when you find them.

May Allah (swt) bless you as you continue your journey into Islam!

ws, ~Chinyere
...................................................................................................................
Ify Okoye •
Igbo Muslims of the world unite, indeed! Smile. Truly, the internet is amazing so far I've counted three Igbo Muslims here, you, me, and Miriam. The evils of racism and tribalism are real and very much here with us today. One way I deal with that is whenever I feel that very visceral negative emotion stirring inside from the harm inflicted by racists is to make sincere dua for Allah to remove that from my heart and to enlighten theirs as well. Good company is a must, not only for converts but for everyone. I've realized some of the Muslims I'm closest to are also converts, probably that shared experience and cultural thing.
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha: Muslims Protest by aryzgreat: 12:12am On Jul 29, 2012
^^^^^^^

I can see d extent u i.d.i.o.t.s can go to claim igbos have muslims, am not suprised after all islam encourages Al-takiya (lieing to defend islam is acceptable), Next bring a story of NGOZI, CHIAMAKA etc dat turned muslims in ur dream! utter Gibberish!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Obanikoro: Fashola’s Official Car Costs More Than Oduah’s Bulletproof Cars / 2 Female Victims Of Zaria Clash Between The Army And Shitte Sect Revealed (Photo / Maria Ude Nwachi's Customized Hummer H2 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.