Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,285 members, 7,811,846 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:06 PM

Why Is UK So Expensive??? - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is UK So Expensive??? (29223 Views)

10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? / Why Are Tickets So Expensive In And Outside Of Nigeria This December? / Why Is UK Visa So Expensive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 5:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
Lady Dee:

My thoughts exactly, that NEVER happens in the UK....
However, yet again I have seen this happen in the USA, where you can actually go to certain areas (like farms) and buy a goat to be slaughterered.....

trust me hun it happens in the UK a lot.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 5:14pm On Jul 30, 2012
buzugee: if you are that much vested in eating goat meat you may need an exorcism. the system in the uk is set-up in a sanitized way so that everything you need is available at the numerous supermarkets that dot the land. getting together with 3 other people to seek out whole goats is not the norm over there. in fact its abnormal. this shows that you have an unnatural affinity for that goat meat. like i said, yall may need some kind of exorcism.

I've always appreciated what you have to say about anything but this your militant and condescending attitude on how other people choose to do something is very disturbing. Obviously, provisions are in place for what they are doing or they won't be doing it. . .this is not Nigeria after all, where anything goes. It's not like they chasing goats all over the place and then killing in the gutter in front of their house. So what is the problem here?

I'm not trying tell what to do, apart from the fact that I can't. . .there's also the LIVE AND LET LIVE thingy I adhere to.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by LadyDee1(f): 5:14pm On Jul 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Hehehehehehe cheesy cheesy

How can it "NEVER happens in the UK" when the person you are agreeing with has been regaling us with stories about it happening in UK?

I live here! That person is tallking out there arse!!
We have something called animal rights and welfare, They would be ALL over this...
To tell you how far they go, a man tried to 'sexually attack' a goat and got arrested....
If you want goat meat you go to a Afro caribbean shop and get it, in a civilised manner
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by LadyDee1(f): 5:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
buzugee: trust me hun it happens in the UK a lot.

Care to let me know where?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by LadyDee1(f): 5:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
debosky:

My bad hun. . . .luckily I didn't go all gangsta and insult my only Lady Dee wink

Awww, it hasnt got to that level wink
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 5:20pm On Jul 30, 2012
Lady Dee:

I live here! That person is tallking out there arse!!
We have something called animal rights and welfare, They would be ALL over this...
To tell you how far they go, a man tried to 'sexually attack' a goat and got arrested....
If you want goat meat you go to a Afro caribbean shop and get it, in a civilised manner

Errr. . .I am sure there are farms you can go to for fresh products. That you don't know about it does not mean it doesn't exist.

And since when have we started comparing killing farm animals breed for for food to sexually assulting an animal?!!

Na wa oh, I guess I missed the Welcome to Bizzaro World Sign

Oh by the way, you say it happens in the US and then say categorically that it does not happen in the UK because the UK has animal rights and welfare group. . .last I checked, so did the US.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by dustydee: 5:34pm On Jul 30, 2012
horny4u:

I live in beautiful southwest England but I order my smoked goat head, hard chicken, pomo, shin meat etc online. I envy those that can go to all this markets o. No shame in loving my food...Tesco only just started selling gari, beans and malt and Morrison okro and rodo...in the past they were not catering for the minority market so ....
Lets not over posh ourselves I shop at waitrose alot because they have high quality organic food but someone needs to cater for my ogiri needs and if loving my food makes me backward....oh well!
please which site do you make online orders?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by LadyDee1(f): 5:36pm On Jul 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Errr. . .I am sure there are farms you can go to for fresh products. That you don't know about it does not mean it doesn't exist.

And since when have we started comparing killing farm animals breed for for food to sexually assulting an animal?!!

Na wa oh, I guess I missed the Welcome to Bizzaro World Sign

Oh by the way, why is do you believe it happens in the US but not in the UK because the UK has animal rights group. . .last I checked, so did the US.

Yes sisi, I am fully aware of fresh produce fom Local farms. I temporarily live in cambridge, and its all over the place. However, you still cannot source out live cattle and have it slaughtered at your own beck and call..
There are 'slaughterhouses' for this procedure, it is an EU law... Laws in the US are slightly different, so theres more flexibility...
Thats my point hun wink
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 5:37pm On Jul 30, 2012
dustydee:
please which site do you make online orders?

avila does it for me or i go to the hundreds of the naIja restaurants and just buy ready made stew with assorted beef. 3 people coming together to share a live goat is bizarre...i can conveniently say I have never heard of it or seen it before.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 5:39pm On Jul 30, 2012
A quick google search for meat market in London and I got this

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/71011-Smithfield-market-London

Please take time to read the comments and pay particular attention to the names of the people leaving the comments. Ain't no Bashiratu, Chukwuemeka or Madinatu in the lot.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 5:45pm On Jul 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill: A quick google search for meat market in London and I got this

Please take time to read the comments and pay particular attention to the names of the people leaving the comments. Ain't no Bashiratu, Chukwuemeka or Madinatu in the lot.

sisikill, that's a slaughterhouse - its different from buying a live goat n killing it in your backyard. the eu laws are strict on animal cruelty - i remember chasing a big fat rat in my garden some years back - my neighbour threatened to call the cops if I don't call pest control services. imagine such stress on top of a thieving rat!!!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 5:48pm On Jul 30, 2012
I know there is a fairly large Jewish Population in London and we also know many of them adhere to the Kosher Food Rules, how can they do so if there aren't these markets aren't available?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 5:51pm On Jul 30, 2012
Jeeeedus Effing Christos!!! Where did anyone say they they slaughter the goat in their backyards

From what I understand, these people get together. . .go to the slaughterhouse, pay for a whole goat and have it divided into 3 or 4 or 5 or however how many parts they want it divided into.

Seriously, someone help me out here. . .am I missing something??
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 5:51pm On Jul 30, 2012
coogar:

avila does it for me or i go to the hundreds of the naIja restaurants and just buy ready made stew with assorted beef. 3 people coming together to share a live goat is bizarre...i can conveniently say I have never heard of it or seen it before.

For the last time it's not a live goat undecided

Where do you see live goat in EastHam

You buy a whole goat hanging there on the wall and split it into 3

Simple
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 5:56pm On Jul 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Jeeeedus Effing Christos!!! Where did anyone say they they slaughter the goat in their backyards

From what I understand, these people get together. . .go to the slaughterhouse, pay for a whole goat and have it divided into 3 or 4 or 5 or however how many parts they want it divided into.
Seriously, someone help me out here. . .am I missing something??

getting together @ the slaughterhouse and splitting it there? of course, that's possible!!

r231:
For the last time it's not a live goat undecided
Where do you see live goat in EastHam
You buy a whole goat hanging there on the wall and split it into 3
Simple

but then how much is a goat to go through the stress of assembling goat investors before one can eat? anyways, people priortise different things so it's a tedious issue to dissect!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 5:57pm On Jul 30, 2012
coogar:

Which is pricesely the point!

It is so not a big deal like some people are trying to make it, that if you aren't a participant. . .you won't know about it.

This is why I am giving my dear Buzzugee the side eye. Ya know, the one that says. . .hmmm, are you sure there isn't something you wanna tell us? cheesy
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
Lmao @ Assembling Goat Investors??!! cheesy

Okay, now I am seriously worried about my Brothers and Sisters living in London oh. Y'all don't have friends and/or family members, you can do things with? cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 6:01pm On Jul 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Which is pricesely the point!

It is so not a big deal like some people are trying to make it, that if you aren't a participant. . .you won't know about it.

This is why I am giving my dear Buzzgee the side eye. Ya know, the one that says. . .hmmm, are you sure there isn't something you wanna tell us? cheesy

giving buzugee the awkward eye? are you saying buzugee is codedly saying things about himself and that he's a poor church rat?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 6:02pm On Jul 30, 2012
coogar:

giving buzugee the awkward eye? are you saying buzugee is codedly saying things about himself and that he's a poor church rat?

Bwhahahahaha!! I ain't saying nothin' lipsrsealed cheesy
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by jaybee3(m): 6:03pm On Jul 30, 2012
Splitting goat/lamb/pig ain't really a biggie.
Most people do so because of its value, freshness and the ability to enjoy quantity whilst quality isn't being compromised.
I wouldn't do it personally cos i ain't big on 'em goats et al as well as the requirement of having to wake up rather too early in the morning to go do the shopping.
It's common among Zimbabweans as well so it ain't just a Nigerian phenom
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 6:03pm On Jul 30, 2012
coogar:

getting together @ the slaughterhouse and splitting it there? of course, that's possible!!

but then how much is a goat to go through the stress of assembling goat investors before one can eat? anyways, people priortise different things so it's a tedious issue to dissect!

Bro it's not about the price, it's quantity

A whole one is less than £100 and if you have storage for it fine
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 6:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
jay bee: Splitting goat/lamb/pig ain't really a biggie.
Most people do so because of its value, freshness and the ability to enjoy quantity whilst quality isn't being compromised.
I wouldn't do it personally cos i ain't big on 'em goats et al as well as the requirement of having to wake up rather too early in the morning to go do the shopping.
It's common among Zimbabweans as well so it ain't just a Nigerian phenom

i second that....
the way some nigerians idolise meat, you worry if some of their ancestors were carnivores. wake up in the morning to hunt goats is not just what i can handle. food is fairly cheap and one does not need to go through such stress to save 40p!

penny wise pound foolish!

r231:
Bro it's not about the price, it's quantity
A whole one is less than £100 and if you have storage for it fine

that's exactly my point---
if i have to buy a live goat with 3 others and store it for weeks/months then the excuse of freshness and quality cannot stand! the quality of the goat meat would deteriorate in your freezer and the purpose of buying that much gets defeated!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 6:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
You don't need an Economist or Mathematician or one of them brainy people who can do calculations off the top of their heads, to tell you the quantity you get will be 10 times more than what you woulda gotten in the regular stores. It just makes economic sense for some people do that.

And again, it is not for everybody. . .people will take convenience over quantity and others vice versa and considering the fact that what is CONVENIENT OR INCONVENIENT itself is subjective, what is the lalakokofefe in this matter? cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Olaone1: 6:17pm On Jul 30, 2012
buzugee: Shalom Brother Ola one grin grin
Shalom Sir grin
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 6:22pm On Jul 30, 2012
coogar:

i second that....
the way some nigerians idolise meat, you worry if some of their ancestors were carnivores. wake up in the morning to hunt goats is not just what i can handle. food is fairly cheap and one does not need to go through such stress to save 40p!

penny wise pound foolish!

that's exactly my point---
if i have to buy a live goat with 3 others and store it for weeks/months then the excuse of freshness and quality cannot stand! the quality of the goat meat would deteriorate in your freezer and the purpose of buying that much gets defeated!

So you expect me to get up every Saturday morning to go and que for meat When I can just get it one time, cook and fry it then toss it in the freezer
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 6:25pm On Jul 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill: You don't need an Economist or Mathematician or one of them brainy people who can do calculations off the top of their heads, to tell you the quantity you get will be 10 times more than what you woulda gotten in the regular stores. It just makes economic sense for some people do that.

like storing a dozen bottles of skimmed milk for rainy days. it also makes loads of economic sense cos you get a discount doing such! grin

And again, it is not for everybody. . .people will take convenience over quantity and others vice versa and considering the fact that what is CONVENIENT OR INCONVENIENT itself is subjective, what is the lalakokofefe in this matter? cheesy cheesy

that it is not for everyone doesn't make it right too....sometimes sheer ignorance comes into play in the choices we make. i used to know a guy who would never get on the train cos he thought everytime he swipes his oyster card, he gets charged for it. so he was using the bus for years. when i told him after a certain amount of money, his card won't get charged regardless of the number of trips he makes in the same day, he could only marvel.

the funniest thing is he shies away from spending money on a faster mode of traveling but he can spend half of his salary in whorehouses in one night!

r231:
So you expect me to get up every Saturday morning to go and que for meat When I can just get it one time, cook and fry it then toss it in the freezer

if you want it fresh, why not? how long are these queues anyways? go to east ham on barking road, there must be a handful of slaughterhouses there where you can buy your meat conveniently at any time of the day - if you add as little as £10, your goat can be special-delivered without requiring your signature!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 6:26pm On Jul 30, 2012
Lemme say this. . .If I had the choice of getting something just once a month and getting more ba/ng for my buck vs getting something 3 times a month and getting less for my money, I would be an Idiot to pick the latter

Maybe it is the Ijebu blood from my great great great great. . .wait, how many great is that ok it have not reached, great, great grandmother but there is no way I am spending more than I really have to. cheesy
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by LadyDee1(f): 6:27pm On Jul 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill: A quick google search for meat market in London and I got this

Slaughterhouse hun
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 6:29pm On Jul 30, 2012
that it is not for everyone doesn't make it right too
This is the part I am having a hard time understanding. . .why does it have to be RIGHT or WRONG. Can't it just BE.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by SisiKill1: 6:30pm On Jul 30, 2012
Lady Dee:

Slaughterhouse hun
And what have we been talking about all morning. . .dear?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Seerer(f): 6:30pm On Jul 30, 2012
brownlord:

The same Uk when ur mate dey go, buy car come build house for nja, omon pack ur tins come house jor, when you people are in Nigeria you want to travel by all means now you don reach there you don start life, ehen start pick pocket as una dey do am here now or better still kidnapping idiot
. he is just a student, probably on scholarship, its not always easy.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by coogar: 6:31pm On Jul 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Lemme say this. . .If I had the choice of getting something just once a month and getting more bang for my buck vs getting something 3 times a month and getting less for my money, I would be an Idiot to pick the latter

Maybe it is the Ijebu blood from my great great great great. . .wait, how many great is that ok it have not reached, great, great grandmother but there is no way I am spending more than I really have to. cheesy

i knew it - you have to be an ijebu woman to come up with these ground breaking ideas. i am sure you also form an association to share a crate of eggs too. after all, it cheaper when 5 people share 30 eggs than buying 6 on your own...

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

FG Extends Flight Ban By Four Weeks / Nigerians Living In India - How Is The Life Over There? / Accident At Aba Claims Lives As A Container Fell On A Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.