Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,278 members, 7,811,828 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:27 PM

Why Is UK So Expensive??? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Is UK So Expensive??? (29222 Views)

10 Things UK Illegal Immigrants Cannot Do - Is UK That Worth It Anymore? / Why Are Tickets So Expensive In And Outside Of Nigeria This December? / Why Is UK Visa So Expensive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by nous(f): 4:35pm On Jul 29, 2012
Expensive is α relative word. When you earn α decent income you should be able to afford most basic things of life. People say portharcourt is expensive, but having stayed there and other major cities in τ̣̣ђё world, I have come to conclude that expensive is relative to affordability.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 29, 2012
Suchie: London in nt as expensive as USA..I stay in new jersey and am payin 1300 dollars 4one bedroom..its weirld
Is $1300 per month on rent or mortgage ?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by mjay(m): 4:37pm On Jul 29, 2012
Krucifax: I feel your pain but you would be surprised that there are far more expensive cities in the world. According to market watch the most expensive cities this year are;
1.Tokyo,Japan.
2.Luanda,Angola.
3.Osaka,Japan.
4.Moscow,Russia
5.Geneva,Switzerland.
6.Sydney,Australia.
7.Shanghai,China.
8.New York,U.S.
9.Dublin,Ireland.

Whilst i agree the U.K is expensive,there's always goods and services that cater to all pockets.From reading your post it seems you don't bargain hunt before spending.
Case point: your room is £400 and your share facilities. When i was in Uni and sharing i never paid that amount. You can find decent rooms from £200 - £350. Go and buy "Loot" newspaper or check "Gumtree.com" or look outside local Off license shops.This all depends on the borough you want to live in. The cheapest parts of London are in the South East like SE18,SE28,SE2 ETC. If you want to go further to Belvedere you will get a massive studio for £400.
Case point: You said you saw an Internetcafe for £1 for 10mins!!!! Most Internetcafes are 0.50p for 30mins and £1 for 1whole hour.(Look around)
Case point: Black cabs!! Even me that was born here and grew up mostly here and Naija i've only entered a black cab i think twice in my life. One on occasion i was stranded and had no choice and the other occasion my company paid for it. Why would you want to enter a black cab as a student?? Black cabs charge meters start reading before the cab moves!!If you seat down and stand up again you dey owe the man like £2.00 already. Go get and get the number for your local taxi office they are like 70% cheaper.
Case point:Apartment prices,i would have thought this would be obvious to anyone. Some boroughs are no go areas unless you are a premier league footballer,or movie star or related to Roman Abramovich or Lakishmi Mittal. Shop around i've already mentioned sensibly placed prices for you to check.

Take me for example,i rent a Flat separate bedroom,kitchen,bathroom in a nice area with a view of the Thames and my rent is just under £800 a month not including council tax. Now that same money will only get me a room in places like Chiswick,Chelsea,Westminster,Camden.So WTF would i want to go there
Also if you bargain hunt you'll find many things here are cheaper or thesame price as Naija,i was last in Naija last year for a couple of months in Abuja and many things cost more than in London. As a student you should always find the best deal,even seasoned and decently paid workers like myself will still find the best deal before a penny comes out of my pocket.

If you want clothes go to Primarks or Peacocks(TK Maxx IS NOT cheap). If you want food go to Peckham two full un-cooked chickens = £4,some will sell three full chickens for £5. Indomie 3-4packets = £1. Tuber of yam = £3- £4.5(if e pass £5 i no buy!!!).Go to Poundland shops as the name says everything is £1. They even do double deals, 2 bottles of Dettol = £1 (far more expensive in Abuja).If you don't like poundland go to any Lidl shop if you spend £10 you no go fit carry your shopping!

So in summary always bargain hunt,in my experience alot of people living in those very posh areas are there by the grace of a council or housing association where their rent is heavily subsidised or paid in full for them(and they no born them well to shop in those boroughs). So take heart London is actually very affordable and fun if you know whereto look.Good luck matey!!!

Spot on. Financial education is the begining of quality living. This is applicable even in naija. Be wise.

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by ODB1: 4:38pm On Jul 29, 2012
nous: Expensive is α relative word. When you earn α decent income you should be able to afford most basic things of life. People say portharcourt is expensive, but having stayed there and other major cities in τ̣̣ђё world, I have come to conclude that expensive is relative to affordability.

Expensive also has a comparative angle not only to how much one can afford but also if you can pay less for it.

Millionaires made money by piling up the pennies, so expensive is not down to a relative term as to who is buying but what you are buying and if you truly are getting value for your money. tongue
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by chucky234(m): 4:39pm On Jul 29, 2012
Krucifax: I feel your pain but you would be surprised that there are far more expensive cities in the world. According to market watch the most expensive cities this year are;
1.Tokyo,Japan.
2.Luanda,Angola.
3.Osaka,Japan.
4.Moscow,Russia
5.Geneva,Switzerland.
6.Sydney,Australia.
7.Shanghai,China.
8.New York,U.S.
9.Dublin,Ireland.

Whilst i agree the U.K is expensive,there's always goods and services that cater to all pockets.From reading your post it seems you don't bargain hunt before spending.
Case point: your room is £400 and your share facilities. When i was in Uni and sharing i never paid that amount. You can find decent rooms from £200 - £350. Go and buy "Loot" newspaper or check "Gumtree.com" or look outside local Off license shops.This all depends on the borough you want to live in. The cheapest parts of London are in the South East like SE18,SE28,SE2 ETC. If you want to go further to Belvedere you will get a massive studio for £400.
Case point: You said you saw an Internetcafe for £1 for 10mins!!!! Most Internetcafes are 0.50p for 30mins and £1 for 1whole hour.(Look around)
Case point: Black cabs!! Even me that was born here and grew up mostly here and Naija i've only entered a black cab i think twice in my life. One on occasion i was stranded and had no choice and the other occasion my company paid for it. Why would you want to enter a black cab as a student?? Black cabs charge meters start reading before the cab moves!!If you seat down and stand up again you dey owe the man like £2.00 already. Go get and get the number for your local taxi office they are like 70% cheaper.
Case point:Apartment prices,i would have thought this would be obvious to anyone. Some boroughs are no go areas unless you are a premier league footballer,or movie star or related to Roman Abramovich or Lakishmi Mittal. Shop around i've already mentioned sensibly placed prices for you to check.

Take me for example,i rent a Flat separate bedroom,kitchen,bathroom in a nice area with a view of the Thames and my rent is just under £800 a month not including council tax. Now that same money will only get me a room in places like Chiswick,Chelsea,Westminster,Camden.So WTF would i want to go there
Also if you bargain hunt you'll find many things here are cheaper or thesame price as Naija,i was last in Naija last year for a couple of months in Abuja and many things cost more than in London. As a student you should always find the best deal,even seasoned and decently paid workers like myself will still find the best deal before a penny comes out of my pocket.

If you want clothes go to Primarks or Peacocks(TK Maxx IS NOT cheap). If you want food go to Peckham two full un-cooked chickens = £4,some will sell three full chickens for £5. Indomie 3-4packets = £1. Tuber of yam = £3- £4.5(if e pass £5 i no buy!!!).Go to Poundland shops as the name says everything is £1. They even do double deals, 2 bottles of Dettol = £1 (far more expensive in Abuja).If you don't like poundland go to any Lidl shop if you spend £10 you no go fit carry your shopping!

So in summary always bargain hunt,in my experience alot of people living in those very posh areas are there by the grace of a council or housing association where their rent is heavily subsidised or paid in full for them(and they no born them well to shop in those boroughs). So take heart London is actually very affordable and fun if you know whereto look.Good luck matey!!!

I can readily tell that you studied economics or accounting and my instinct will not be wrong with the stinginess you just exhibited above,why not come back to Naija where you make dough without taxes and no cause to price hunt.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

No comment!! lipsrsealed

Justwise

You need to get a day job, bruv..

You're the most ignorant and annoying guy on nl. undecided undecided
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by chucky234(m): 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Is $1300 per month on rent or mortgage ?
I laugh your face...
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by chucky234(m): 4:41pm On Jul 29, 2012
shymmex: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

No comment!! lipsrsealed

Justwise

thought it was just me,he is freaking annoying

1 Like

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2012
chucky234: I can readily tell that you studied economics or accounting and my instinct will not be wrong with the stingy you just exhibited above,why not come back to Naija where you make dough without taxes and no course to price hunt.

You still wonder why Nigeria is screwed up?

4 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by wurajone(f): 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2012
dedeike:
Say what you know. That amount does not cover his gas and electricity supplies. Verify your facts

You're the one saying what you don't know.I'm still checking a room for my brother in Edinburgh and got so many,and it reads"utilities included".so why are you saying what you don't know?? You can check here to confirm.

http://uk.easyroommate.com/M/preview/973969-
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by buzugee(m): 4:43pm On Jul 29, 2012
Suchie: London in nt as expensive as USA..I stay in new jersey and am payin 1300 dollars 4one bedroom..its weirld
move to tegzaz. same apt is 300 dollars
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 4:43pm On Jul 29, 2012
shymmex: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

No comment!! lipsrsealed

Justwise

I can say exactly that about you.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by ODB1: 4:43pm On Jul 29, 2012
justwise: @O.D.B

Don't bring tribe into this if you want your next post to be visible.

you are demented where did i post tribalism.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 4:44pm On Jul 29, 2012
chucky234: thought it was just me,he is freaking annoying

So happy that i annoyed you, that just made my day.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by justwise(m): 4:46pm On Jul 29, 2012
O.D.B.:

you are demented where did i post tribalism.

Your reference to a particular Nigerian tribe in your post and i'm sure you know it.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by lazinc(m): 4:49pm On Jul 29, 2012
Theblessed: [b][size=16pt]Man's greed, greed, greed!!!!!

That's why!

Also, people want quality lifestyle just as the rich and famous have, and someone will pay for it through their tax hence, UK will never be a Tax Heaven.

The NHS, the elderly, the disabled, single parents, jobseekers and child benefit etc must be cared for and paid for and this can only be achieved by hiking up the Tax/NI of those who work/businesses.

When you're sick NHS picks up the bill - you get looked after, get fed plus your treatment and you don't pay a dime - you, your children and wifey get cared for whatever the sickness, and your children also, get free education, abi! undecided undecided

Even those who have not contributed in any ways, still get care e.g. foreign students as yourself but one could argue that foreign students contributed via their tuition and I will argue, in other countries you still have the added responsibility of paying for your health care issues e.g. in America, you will still put in place Health Insurance should you fall ill whilst studying therefore, give UK a credit for that.

They don't charge students for health problems and remember, without health there is no life. Your health is your life/future.

Yes, Uk is expensive but most things were hiked up as a result of the this Olympics - before, it wasn't this bad at all!

As you can see, the Olympics committee over charged/priced a lot of things out of this world hence, the empty seats here and there - shame on them!! They thought they would recoup their Olympics investments in one day but it was a washout for them, on Day 1 - when they could have adopted Tesco's early days market strategy 'Pile it high and sell it cheap strategy ' in order to recoup their investment, plus profit.

So, it was because of this Olympics that prices went every where - utility bills went up, British Rail tickets went up Council tax went up, therefore, landlords raised their rents.

Personally, I don't live in London as I can't stand the 'rat race' but I live in a University Town where I rent my rooms to the University for £380.00 per month, might increase it come this academic year - Students be warned as you all know, education don't come cheap and you will recoup it at the appropriate time in your life, so don't look at what you pay - look at what you will gain, after all!! grin grin grin

Now, you can see the few reasons, UK is not a Tax Heaven!!! grin grin grin

[/size]
[/b]

How there you say foreign students dont contribute to NHS? Paying £20,000 as tuition fee while the so called UK/EU students paying just £4,000 for thesame course and you come here to say we are been offered free medical care?
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Krucifax(m): 4:50pm On Jul 29, 2012
chucky234: I can readily tell that you studied economics or accounting and my instinct will not be wrong with the stinginess you just exhibited above,why not come back to Naija where you make dough without taxes and no cause to price hunt.

Not that it matters but i studied Law LLB,i was not being stingy, just giving the poster some cost saving tips.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by lazinc(m): 4:51pm On Jul 29, 2012

Good question
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Skywalker5(m): 4:58pm On Jul 29, 2012

i thought Mortgage is cheaper then renting? Well i know it is in Uk, don't know abt USA
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by MegaG: 5:08pm On Jul 29, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by IykeD(m): 5:14pm On Jul 29, 2012
@OP, London is not even close to the most expensive cities in the World. Some things may be expensive but if you have been to "real expensive cities", you will appreciate what you have. Have you been to the Scandinavian cities like Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo? Try those and then you will go apologize to her majesty.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by madridsta007(m): 5:14pm On Jul 29, 2012
The name London, is like a brand... Albeit, a dwindling one, I must admit. People come here not because that they can not get what they want in their home countries or other countries of the world, but just because of the hype, 'I have been to London'. And the government then milks people through taxes, they simply tax anything taxable and non-taxable. From the airports, to schools, to councils, to train and bus tickets, to goods and services. Like someone earlier said, it is a multiplier effect as the landlords, the small Indian-own shops, the phone providers etc, make sure the consumer bear a brunt of the taxes. Very soon, we shall soon, I foresee in the future that the air we breath, we would soon be taxed of it.

It is a brand that the government uses effectively. Trust me, the city London is so over-hyped. Travel across countries and you will slowly have a apartheid-like detest for London. However, people are slowly moving away from the attraction and hype that is 'London' hence, the fall down the rankings as in the most-expensive cities list.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jul 29, 2012
Billyonaire: Why are you so mad at me ? Are you based in the UK or do you own UK ?

Nope, New York, baby.

You just sound nuts all at the time is all.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by mekaboy(m): 5:19pm On Jul 29, 2012
omoeast: Hey Nairalanders,i would be glad if someone could tell me why United Kingdom is sooooo expensive.

I think this country is the most expensive in the world,things are not normal AND still it remains everyone's dream land expectially Nigerian

For Example,am a student i live in the UK,i pay £400 every month in east london which is not even central,£400 is 100k naija currency for a room,is that normalNot a flat...Just one room without no sitting room...its gonna be a shared apartment.3-4 people might be living in the same flat with you,you will share kitchen and toilet with them.Sitting room will be for let as well...I went to Heathrow Airport 3 days ago,someone called me to come online,i went to there internet cafe to browse,i was surprised when i saw the price...£1 for 10 mins(250 naira for 10 mins)Is that normalThere so called Olympic stadium seats are soo empty,do you know why?Ticket price aren't normal.Several Olympic venues were far from full on day one.

If you live in the UK,you will surely know no one except the rich kids will take black cabs,it's so EXPENSIVE.

I was checking apartment in the Olympic Village...I found a house for 1 million pounds monthly.Isn't that ridiculous(i cant find the link anymore but you can check the internet,just google olympic house for rent in stratford)

Now the question is WHY IS LONDON SO EXPENSIVE

THE QUESTION IS, NA PERSON FORCE YOU GO THERE?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 29, 2012
Elueme: America is better a choice for me but liberalization may destroy them if care is not taken..

If it hasn't destroyed us in almost 300yrs it won't destroy us in 10,000 yrs, theres a reason why the rest of the world looks up to us.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 29, 2012
buzugee: move to tegzaz. same apt is 300 dollars

Or Idaho, $2.75 for a 6 bedroom Mansion!
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by r231(m): 5:23pm On Jul 29, 2012

One bedroom apartment cost more than that in MAnhattan NY with no parking space
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jul 29, 2012

See? I knew you've never lived outside your village, no wonder you had to ask that question. Keep deceiving yourself that you "returned" to Nigeria. smh

Oya, Laptop #37, go and man your station, I heard some people are planning to attack GEJ online again.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by OYINBOGOJU(m): 5:25pm On Jul 29, 2012
Londoners find it very hard to live or even just to pay to enter club because they find it more expensive than london.

A bottle of beer cost 6pounds in tokyo.

I have seen 3 british guys asking the taxi driver how much it will cost them to get to their hotel and if not they will walk.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
r231:

One bedroom apartment cost more than that in MAnhattan NY with no parking space

Manhattan?! lmao u wan die?

You're talking $5500 or better to live out here. Some places here go for as much as $40,000/month.

U never hear nothing yet.
Re: Why Is UK So Expensive??? by OmoTier1(m): 5:30pm On Jul 29, 2012
UK is expensive relative to your income! If you are an highly skilled professional or even a craftsman, and you earn somewhat around £3,500 or £4000 after Tax a month then paying £1400 as rent a month might seems not too much of a burden.

I remember being a student and earning little money, I had similar thinking that UK was so so expensive until I began to talk to working professionals, some who had take home pay almost £5000 a month after tax! And their monthly expenses was barely half of that. So for such folks, UK isn't so expensive, it all depends on how much you are willing to price your Skills set for.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

FG Extends Flight Ban By Four Weeks / Nigerians Living In India - How Is The Life Over There? / Accident At Aba Claims Lives As A Container Fell On A Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.