Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,834 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:30 PM

Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates (30264 Views)

Delta State Civil Servive Commission Recruiting, All Field(OND,HND,BSC, etc) / First Batch Of Dangote Truck Drivers To Graduate In January 2013 / Acquiring A Degree With Hnd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Temismith(f): 7:02pm On Aug 02, 2012
Dangote pays far more dan federal government.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 7:07pm On Aug 02, 2012
mbhs139:

Leave them ... dem no dey tell blind man say war don start. Nonsense!

What's the big deal in driving truck with your degree? Does going to school mean we all must work in an AC filled office? You see, that's the worst mentality we bring out of the university whereas we are not taught any skill other than just book book, cramming to pass exam and after exam nothing dey head again.

how many of our graduates can hit the ground running without being trained. Na graduates we get for this country abi just counting the numbers? I hear you!

"dem no dey tell blind man say war done start".

Hahahahaha. That line cracked me up.

Make dem dey there dey form. When dem drink garri and groundnut for 10 consecutive days and their shi.it strong like say tomorrow no dey, then body go tell man say kaki no be leather.

I come across these "graduates" often and weep for this country. Many are nothing to write home about. I know some - mostly females - beging my colleagues to employ them as sales girls.

Michael Dell started Dell Computers in his Garage. Thomas Edison suffered initially and even invented many things as a partially deaf man. Abraham Lincoln managed a grocery store while he studied law on the side. ETC. These were when America were far from the Paradise our people like to associate her with.

If this sense of entitlement mentality of our youth continues , this country is doomed.

Nigerian Youths, put on your thinking cap as that fellow up there said and be an employer of labour yourself.

Farming is still lucrative if you don't wanna drive. Atleast we can attain food security. Imao.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by VUVUZELA10: 7:10pm On Aug 02, 2012
Please do not blame the lucky Dangote. Blame the idiotic graduates who applied for the job.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by fulfillment2020(m): 7:16pm On Aug 02, 2012
kundul: Well it baffles my imagination y u all r one track minded n its soo very obvious u don't ve d brains. Am truelly very sorry dt most of u will miss dis gr8 opputunity cos non of u is putting his/brain 2 work. What I am tryn 2 say is dt dis is surelly d 1st test 2 screen all dos white collar jobs seekers. Let me jst break d ice. D job is nt 4 drivers bt dos dt r humble enuf 2 apply will end seeing wt I mean later. I kn wt am sayin ok n now d choice is up 2 u guyz
On point bro, u just took it from my keyboard.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by naptu2: 7:24pm On Aug 02, 2012
I laugh. The pride you see being exhibited here is one of the things killing the Nigerian economy. There should be dignity in labour, but unfortunately recent events in our country has skewed our values. People will look down on a truck driver who's earning an honest wage and worship corrupt politicians. It wasn't always like this and I believe things will change.

The Wright brothers were bicycle repairers, Queen Elizabeth is a qualified mechanic, Sir Alex Fergusen was an apprentice mechanic/ship builder, Gani Fawehinmi worked in a mortuary and so many more. Remember Otunba Gadafi (shit business is serious business) of DMT toilets fame?

Once upon a time no self respecting Nigerian graduate would want to be a professional commedian. Thank God that's changed. This attitude too shall pass.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by lafad11(m): 7:27pm On Aug 02, 2012
I must say its a total shame on our leaders and even to dangote himself. How can u place an advert for a truck driver and made HND/Bsc d requirement. I was M.A.D wen I saw my fellow NL saying dey sent their CV but didn't deliver. How can u spend. 6-3-3-4+x
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by lafad11(m): 7:27pm On Aug 02, 2012
I must say its a total shame on our leaders and even to dangote himself. How can u place an advert for a truck driver and made HND/Bsc d requirement. I was M.A.D wen I saw my fellow NL saying dey sent their CV but didn't deliver. How can u spend. 6-3-3-4+x and end up been a driver. SMH cry cry

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by naptu2: 7:31pm On Aug 02, 2012
Driver today, fleet manager tomorrow, owner of transport biz afterwards. What's so bad about that? Sayyu Dantata was once a fleet manager.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Uwehok: 7:32pm On Aug 02, 2012
Dangote deserve to be applauded for taking up d challenges of generating employment 2d teeming unemployed. He is only trying 2employ d services of people who will offer qualitative services. Our teeming graduate should get rid of pride and seize d opportunity at their disposal for there's dignity in labour.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by ikaleguy(m): 7:34pm On Aug 02, 2012
Truck drivers in US are highly paid because of the demand for
them.
It is a job that is not easy to fill because of the strigent
Condition before a driver can be certify to drive on the road.

Its not like what goes on in naija where a malo will just handle the steering and hit the road

The way a trained n educated fellow will driver is quite different so I guess dats what Dangote has in mind.

Any graduate interested can apply.Dangote is not forcing anyone to apply but I know the turnout will be massive. Watchout!!
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by iyanda146: 7:40pm On Aug 02, 2012
How many jobs your fathers don provide for the unemployed
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by andyanders: 7:42pm On Aug 02, 2012
I think the best thing to do now is for Nigerian Universities to include 'Driving' as a course
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 7:52pm On Aug 02, 2012
It amazes me when i read stuff like what i have read on this thread.
Lots of the Nigerian graduates has no job, they have no means of taking care of themselves and some still depends on Daddy and Mom for their daily bread, now a man is giving them a job and he is a bad person.
Most of the graduates will go to western world to do worse jobs, but God forbid if they do same on Nigerian soil
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Onegai(f): 7:52pm On Aug 02, 2012
Goshen360: See pride in the hearts of some so called "graduates". Which kind book una don read wey another person never read before?I don't mean insult anyway. If you can apply for the job and be employed, why don't you take it for now UNTIL YOU GET A BETTER OFFER TO A BETTER POSITION/FUTURE. A clear picture of pride and despising the days of little beginning. You can even get the job just to save/build capital to start your own business. It doesn't diminish anything from you neither does it subtract anything from your future. As some graduates dey do yanga, some graduates don apply same job chap-chap.

Hello there. Let me explain how Social policy and Economics work. Please take a seat.

In every society. there are small jobs and big jobs. Society is balanced by a proportionate amount of each. What happens is that a CEO hires Managers, who hire employees. Then the educated hire the skilled workers. Skilled workers hire unskilled workers. When that happens, money and wealth is spread round, because everyone is employed, at their own unique level, and has spending power. Thus the country has a good Cost of Living.

So when someone dumb slowpoke decides to hire the educated to do the jobs of the skilled workers, he deprives the skilled workers of jobs, which in turn make the skilled workers compete with the unskilled workers for their jobs. And no, contrary to your Pastor's optimism, manna will not fall from Heaven to feed the now unemployed unskilled workers. Who take to robbing, anarchy (that's a big word, so look it up) and kidnapping and whatsoever to survive. Sound familiar??
Yup, that's what happened to Nigeria. The truck driver is now at home hungry because a graduate is doing his job and the CEO, who then deprives the graduate the ability to earn his worth of years of schooling back from society, is CHEATING the graduate of that. Yes, we can all start business, but that would take more jobs away and increase the competition amongst skilled sellers. Go to Balogun, for every Kuddy Cosmetics (a big distributor), there are 30 small shops who barely sell one lipstick. Yet the owners have to pay dues, rents,
schoolfees, eat...

"Well, they can go to Agriculture", I can hear you say. Absolutely. How many farms exist that can pay unskilled workers enough to live on more than $2/day (Nigeria's current Cost of living)? And those farms also are now accepting job resumes from skilled workers, who might have been driving trucks in the city, but graduates are too busy (with your encouragement) applying for secretary, customer service representative, salesperson and truck driver.

A society must have a blend of graduates, skilled workers and unskilled workers. That way, everyone gets a fair chance to survive. The rest is upto them.

Think about the points I raised above. Thank you.

signed, a humble female engineer, without a job, whose Dad made sure she watched (amongst several other educative programs) CNN Business with him as a kid (while her peers were dating and pinging) because he knew that the schools would NEVER teach her Economics, Social Studies and Policy making. He was appalled at the low level of education amongst the best graduates he was constantly being asked to hire.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 7:53pm On Aug 02, 2012
ikaleguy: Truck drivers in US are highly paid because of the demand for
them.
It is a job that is not easy to fill because of the strigent
Condition before a driver can be certify to drive on the road.

Its not like what goes on in naija where a malo will just handle the steering and hit the road

The way a trained n educated fellow will driver is quite different so I guess dats what Dangote has in mind.

Any graduate interested can apply.Dangote is not forcing anyone to apply but I know the turnout will be massive. Watchout!!

And the only way to change all that is what this guy is doing, by the time most company will stop hiring people with no skill and no education, that will force more to go and learn how to drive the truck the right way
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Godogwu: 7:54pm On Aug 02, 2012
First of all I would like if someone would kindly send me the link of the advert from dangote. Secondly, that's the requirement for the job and if you don't like it, keep moving !!, it's not by force
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Onegai(f): 7:58pm On Aug 02, 2012
BTW, truck driving in the US is a grade C or D license. Me and my degree cannot apply for that job, I'm a grade A (personal car only) because you must have clocked a certain amount of driving training time before writing that driving test. Which is why they don't have a lot of truck accidents there, because they train them, not because they're graduates. In Nigeria, last time I checked, getting a license was as easy as a passport photo and N5000. I didn't even go to VIO to fill the form. So, sure I could apply for that truck driving job. But don't complain the day my truck falls on your family because I lack the skills for the job (skills like endurance, detail-oriented, long levels of consciousness). I'll leave you to pray that "may your name never be on any list of people who truck fell on this year..." or some other stu.pid crap.

Shrug.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by iykeG(m): 8:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
How much can he pay?
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by houstonia(m): 8:03pm On Aug 02, 2012
@blackbaron, you are definitely a blackmoron to me, @stagger, obviously you are a quarter to death, thus u are desperate. @goshen360, I'm still in search of someone more stupid than you are. I know what I'm currently studying in school, you don't expect me after all my candles, and midnight vigillance, to wake up one morning and pick up outta all kinda jobs , a "driving job" in which obviously I'm expected to risk my life by trvelling long distances that involves intra and interstate ventures. Omo I think three of you have to be blocked from nairaland entirely. Abi would he advise his own sisters son to even take up this kinda job. Dangote must be a fool. I no sabi the money wey him get seff. Common Mark Zuk don beat am without political attachment or govt interferance.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 02, 2012
We have problems in Nigeria. Some bachelor degree holding Nigerians are in the U.S driving Taxis and trucks everyday. Why do we always show pride in everything we do?
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Obinoscopy(m): 8:06pm On Aug 02, 2012
Learnt he will pay and train them well
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Obinoscopy(m): 8:07pm On Aug 02, 2012
Learnt he pays 200K to his truck drivers for starters cheesy
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 8:07pm On Aug 02, 2012
houstonia: @blackbaron, you are definitely a blackmoron to me, @stagger, obviously you are a quarter to death, thus u are desperate. @goshen360, I'm still in search of someone more stupid than you are. I know what I'm currently studying in school, you don't expect me after all my candles, and midnight vigillance, to wake up one morning and pick up out all kinda jobs , a "driving jobs" in which obviously I'm expected to risk my life by trvelling long distances that involves intra and interstate ventures. Omo I think three of you have to be blocked from nairaland entirely. Abi would he advise his own sisters son to even take up this kinda job. Dangote must be a fool. I no sabi the money wey him get seff. Common Mark Zuk don beat am without political attachment or govt interferance.

So you would rather stay home and collect money from Mom and dad to buy your underwear after they have spent so much on your to go to school?
What stops someone from doing this kinda job while looking for something that he studied at school
?
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Onegai(f): 8:11pm On Aug 02, 2012
payless: We have problems in Nigeria. Some bachelor degree holding Nigerians are in the U.S driving Taxis and trucks everyday. Why do we always show pride in everything we do?

All the naija boys I know doing unskilled labour abroad for long periods of time are hustling either because
1. Dem no get paper, so they can't get a legal paying job
2. Dem no get education, so they are unemployable and if they were in Nigeria, they'd be selling spare-parts in Alaba
3. Dem need 3 jobs to support mummy, daddy, sister, brother, wife, 4 children, 2 girlfriends, numerous friends and hanger-ons that they have to show off to when they come for christmas in Naija

I am yet to see any engineer or doctor in the US driving truck without the above reasons. Most will start their own business. Even at the height of the recession, when they were firing all of us, was when people took those unskilled jobs. Unemployment increased, and everyone is finding their square-root. It's why the US govt monitors rates of Unemployment quarterly. If you live in Sweden, or any other country and you realise that the govt's job is to create a steady environment for its citizens to live their lives, you will hate every nigerian politician, PDP, ACN, ANPP, whatever.

The highest paid driver in Zenith and it's companies earns N55,000 monthly. Only 4 are paid so. If Dangote's paying N200,000, it's because he's not planning on hiring more than 20 drivers max. So, nope, this will NOT save the millions of unemployed people. This offer hurts more than helps. But I'm speaking chinese to people who only speak latin. Carry on.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Fhemmmy: 8:22pm On Aug 02, 2012
Onegai:

All the naija boys I know doing unskilled labour abroad are hustling either because
2. Dem no get education, so they are unemployable and if they were in Nigeria, they'd be selling spare-parts in Alaba

That is totally not true . . . There are so many that has papers, but probably studied some funny program at school and cant find a job with it. . .

Onegai:
I am yet to see any engineer or doctor in the US driving truck without the above reasons. Even at the height of the recession, when they were firing all of us, was when people took those unskilled jobs. Unemployment increased, and everyone is finding their square-root. It's why the US govt monitors rates of Unemployment quarterly. If you live in Sweden, or any other country and you realise that the govt's job is to create a steady environment for its citizens to live their lives, you will hate every nigerian politician, PDP, ACN, ANPP, whatever.

I have a friend in Canada, a citizen born in Canada that quit his job to be driving a Truck, cos they make good money and cos of the chance to travel around and all that, so that is not true, you might have to look well and see how many people will do anything to drive such trucks . . many married men will even love it, cos it will give them a chance to be out of the house and no nagging . . Lol

Onegai:
The highest paid driver in Zenith and it's companies earns N55,000 monthly. Only 4 are paid so. If Dangote's paying N200,000, it's because he's not planning on hiring more than 20 drivers max. So, nope, this will NOT save the millions of unemployed people. This offer hurts more than helps. But I'm speaking chinese to people who only speak latin. Carry on.

There is a lot of HND holder and BSC holder in Nigeria that are making lesser than what you have up there, so what stops those than can do it from doing it, then, it is nothing but pride and pride is always the sign of doom to come
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by kunletoks(m): 8:22pm On Aug 02, 2012
The advert sounds stupid.
But lets think twice.
Hw much can he pay per month.
Ppl who feel confortable with d offer can apply and leave the job later.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Nobody: 8:23pm On Aug 02, 2012
Onegai:

All the naija boys I know doing unskilled labour abroad are hustling either because

I am yet to see any engineer or doctor in the US driving truck without the above reasons. Even at the height of the recession, when they were firing all of us, was when people took those unskilled jobs. Unemployment increased, and everyone is finding their square-root. It's why the US govt monitors rates of Unemployment quarterly. If you live in Sweden, or any other country and you realise that the govt's job is to create a steady environment for its citizens to live their lives, you will hate every nigerian politician, PDP, ACN, ANPP, whatever.

The highest paid driver in Zenith and it's companies pays N55,000 monthly. Only 4 are paid so. If Dangote's paying N200,000, it's because he's not planning on hiring more than 20 max. So, nope, this will save the millions of unemployed people. This offer hurts more than helps. But I'm speaking chinese to people who only speak latin. Carry on.

I have met a bachelor degree holder form University of Ibadan who happens to do menial job in New Jersey. At the same time, I know of many Nigerians with bachelor degrees from various Nigerian higher instistutions that do menial jobs.

My point is that, Nigerians who refuse to take a cleaning job in Nigeria wouldn't mind taking the same job in western countries. I guess everyone like to wear shirts and ties.
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Wallie(m): 8:24pm On Aug 02, 2012
Are the people against Dangote now saying that EVERY single graduate deserves an office (white-collar) job? How about those that graduated that had no business going to college in the first place?

The bottom line is that going to college does not mean that one is smarter than a non-graduate or business savvy but it does mean that you have what it takes to finish what you started by hook or by crook. At least, he's not asking for a specific GPA his he?

Dangote Academy is a centre of excellence for talent development in Dangote Group. It seeks to provide the talent pipeline for the Group while filling the industrial skill-gap in Nigeria.

The Academy has just initiated a project called, /he Drivers Academy” which aims at recruiting and training 2,000 Nigerian graduates to become professional heavy vehicle drivers for the newly established Super Fleet of the Group. This initiative will assist to uplift the operating standards in road transport industry, promote entrepreneurship and open up career opportunities.

Dangote Transport operates an exclusive haulage business to meet the transportation requirement of the group with a fleet of over 5,000 trucks. Its activities include facilitating transportation of raw materials from the ports to the factories and the distribution of finished goods to warehouse, depots and customers across the country.

Job Title: Graduate Drivers
THE IDEAL CANDIDATES
• Candidates should have a B.sc., HND, OND or NCE certificate (in any discipline)
• Not less than 25 years of age
• Physically fit
• Responsible and mature
• No prior driving experience required

BENEFITS
Dangote Academy in partnership with the NITT – Nigerian Institute of Transport Technology, Zaria would offer intensive training programme to successful candidates on safe and defensive driving, as well as basic vehicle maintenance and upkeep. Other national road regulatory agencies such as the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) and Federal Vehicle Inspection Office (FVIO) will collaborate with NITT to deliver a comprehensive training package. On completion of training, successful candidates would be issued with heavy vehicle driving license and offered employment in Dangote Transport.

How to Apply
Interested candidate should send CVs to jobs@dangote.com within two weeks of this publication. This information is also available at www.dangote.com

http://www.sasabook.com/2012/07/31/graduate-trainee-driver-job-vacancies-at-dangote-group-www-dangote-com-today-august-2012/
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by mactonnyso: 8:24pm On Aug 02, 2012
Dangote, God will bless you for creating jobs. A respected graduate is one that creats job for himselve, and not sitting on this degree .
Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by houstonia(m): 8:29pm On Aug 02, 2012
Mehn this is way different from pride @payless. There is substantial securty in the US, the pay is respectable. There are good roads. Over there you have more stress which is normal in driving but less risk. Omo think about nigerian conditions for a momment you go understand weting guys dey try talk here. Abi you think sey riving wey we dey talk na to come drive Dangote himself? Omo na trucks o, giant dump trucks, heavy earth moving machines.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Truck Drivers With HND/BSc: No Respect For Nigerian Graduates by Pk001(m): 8:31pm On Aug 02, 2012
Those of you comparing this to what is being done in UK or US are missing it. It is not pride for a graduate to reject the post as a driver. The difference between this and the UK or US is PACKAGING. You will never see them advertising the post of a driver for graduates because they know that the role is below the standard of a graduate. Instead they can call it logistics assistant, supply chain personnel etc. That's what is being done. Go and try applying as a graduate in the logistics section of DHL,GUINESS, ROYALMAIL, TESCO etc in most cases they will ask you if you have a valid driver's license. The reason is that you are actually going to be the driver of their delivery vehicles. The difference is that you are not going to be just a driver but you will be given additional technical roles to handle. Roles like inventory and stock stock taking, lead time calculations, EOQ's determination, use of RFID's and barcode generations etc. And the pay is excellent.

If that is what Dangote is planning to do with the graduates then I have no problem with that. He should only repackage the name.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Gtbank Sacked 142 Staff / Tuesdays and Thursdays Guardian Jobs Adverts & Punch Wed Jobs Adverts / Most Hilarious Interview Conversation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.