Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,396 members, 7,830,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? (9666 Views)

Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? / Worst Thing Your Boyfriend Or Girlfriend Has Ever Done? / Questions To Ask Your Boyfriend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:30am On Dec 18, 2007
Freewilly:

@ poster,

Forgive me for being rude, but your English is just as horrible so be very careful pointing fingers.

Word.

@topic

If your ashamed of him and can't teach him, then leave him for someone else who's ready to help him through his faults.
But remember we might not know what we have till we loose it.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by 2old4that(m): 10:01am On Dec 18, 2007
@Topic
Who says to speak english na small thing. . . Ee easy grin
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by jkpretty(f): 10:48am On Dec 18, 2007
I'll rather not go out with u in the first place than deal with it. I'm sorry good diction is part of the things that attracts me. That would be a large clause to overlook.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 18, 2007
grammar no be money.
the french ,german and other nationalities would rather speak their language than speak english.
help him correct his mistakes.he'll appreciate you more for it.
just try and do it in a subtle way.
cheers
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by odiaseo(m): 11:08am On Dec 18, 2007
I suggest you buy him "English without tears for Xmas".

It can be a very embarrassing situation for you when he speaks in public. Let him know your feelings and concerns in a way that won't hurt his ego. I don't think correcting him each time he makes a mistake would help for long, he'll soon start getting offended. Prove to him that you love him and he'll do whatever it takes to show that he loves you.

Here are 3 ways to keep the love aflame - http://www.peleodiase.com/blog/love-in-marriage
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by lilvonz(m): 11:12am On Dec 18, 2007
odiaseo:

I suggest you buy him "English without tears for Xmas".

I agree wit u odiaseo

Or an alternative is to speak his local language whenever u're wit him. afterall oyinbo english no be our language
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by Seun(m): 11:15am On Dec 18, 2007
One more reason why it's better to marry someone from your tribe - you won't have to speak English to each other.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by tkb417(m): 11:19am On Dec 18, 2007
One more reason why it's better to marry someone from your tribe - you won't have to speak English to each other.
grin grin grin so na yoruba galore. . .i don die
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by 2old4that(m): 11:42am On Dec 18, 2007
Seun:

@ poster
Yes, that's is the best option. To save you the stress of choosing what word to use and when. grin
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by Debbie1010(f): 12:49pm On Dec 18, 2007
According to SIr Shina Peters, "Grammar no be Money" and again, Grammer no be our Language.

I understand how it is for the Babe expecially if she speaks well, but then this is not a big case, Buy lots of books and novels for him and he'll sure change. ALternatively, the babe can be the spokesperson whenever they are with other people.

Afterall no be say the Guy na Thief, murderer or Otokoto sef,
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by jaso1(m): 1:15pm On Dec 18, 2007
As you described the guy couple with the fact that you yourself learned the language, if you derive interest or likeness in him i will advise you be his teacher as nothing is impossible if you want to help irrespective of his rigidity.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by jumoke5: 2:24pm On Dec 18, 2007
How come u're complaining about his english now, do u just notice?

Abi he employed someone come talk to u when he dey woo u?

why did u agreed to the relationship in the first place when u know u cannot cope

Or tell us, wether u just fine one yahoo yahoo boy wei dey use grammar deceive u.

ANOFIA--------return the guy money wei u chop oo
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by OMUWUNMI: 8:59pm On Dec 18, 2007
there was nothing wronging in a man spoked poor grammar,it is not english that a man spoked that mattered but a man abilities to tooked very good of his wife,childrens and familieses. i advising you that you should not allow english to comes among you and your boyfriend,if he loved you try and be loved him back.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by Uzzyan: 10:17pm On Dec 18, 2007
Abeg wen he was "Spinning" o what were u thinkin or are u a gold-digger who is after the money and other things. See it not all about the he cares,and loves mi thing but his total "come out". OMG how embarassed u will feel in public!!!!!!
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by suze(f): 10:33am On Dec 19, 2007
If the guy is not stubborn and he admits his english is poor. U can teach him.

Cos it can be very embarrassing
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by dot2002(m): 11:08am On Dec 19, 2007
My husband spoken English is naught, but love is amazing even with all that he knew where my black box was, and i never stopped loving him since the first time he gave me a head,it was quite hard to want to say you love someone but you can only say very few or nothing at all in the language she will understand, just say it. It should make you laugh so much, that on itself is the fun part, when ever you are out there will never be a dull moment. Imagine being teleported to a Chinese village and you want somebody to eat your forbidden fruit, old count cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by zheroes(m): 11:23am On Dec 19, 2007
2old4that:

@ poster
Yes, that's is the best option. To save you the stress of choosing what word to use and when. grin

wonders. UNA WAN CARRY AM ENTER "KPARAKPOR"( local language).
it will be too crazy to leave a guy or girl simply because of that.

solution: let him listen to BBC NEWS, CNN , SKY NEWS, very often,i mean atleast 5hrs a day, i bet you in the next one year, he will be better than you, his ascent will almost be changing, he will need to limit the language with which he speaks with friends and close associate for it to really have effect, this will work if he has a real desire to change though.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by GucciBabe(f): 12:23pm On Dec 19, 2007
Only us nigerians blow things out of proportions, some countries don't even speak english at all.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by kempo(m): 12:43pm On Dec 19, 2007
To me, this is not even a case. u have d right 2 do what u want. But think of it this way, would you prefer those guys that could paint the whole world red with grammer but love only exsists in thier lips? He can always learn if you are redy to teach him. [img]http://Maybe you only like his money[/img][img][/img].
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by 2dye4(m): 12:53pm On Dec 19, 2007
the package is never complete or perfect. if u truly love him then enourage him and work it out together. otherwise u know what to do. wink
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by Uzzyan: 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2007
2dye4:

the package is never complete or perfect. if u truly love him then enourage him and work it out together. otherwise u know what to do. wink

I agree
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by oziomatv(m): 1:48pm On Dec 19, 2007
let me come down to our level,
me no fit blow gramma for girl front because I wan make she friend me, my Igbo language is OK if she no like am make she go friend her papa.
in as much as I possessed the basic characteristics that a girl need in a man, I give no shit about English, it's only for official use.
Besides, how many poor PH.d holders get a girl of their choice?
fellows, if a girl bounce you for poor English another one will accept you for your wealth,
Bleep English, Bleep who think it's a priority.
speak that your Hausa,Yoruba, Ibo, Binni, anyone.
you can be merciful to speak broken English.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by dellynash(f): 4:42pm On Dec 19, 2007
The best thing would be to teach him, even talk with him and u for an english teacher, there is no problem without a solution
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by kunle75(m): 8:21pm On Dec 19, 2007
@poster,

I think u shld be ashamed of yourself coming out to tell us, can't u for God sake help him out? it isn`t a disease, its just a flaw that cld be amended while blowing IT out of proportion?as if its something out of this world,imagin yourself getting married to a chinese man without english background OR baba Adedibu of Ibadan,wunt u cope if u love him?u are very selfish because uv also mention in your post that the guy get moni well well na him make u no want to leave the guy sha u be thief,don't u see it before kick starting the relationship in the 1st place why the clamouring now?make u take your time ooooooo.GOLD DIGGER.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by kunle75(m): 8:23pm On Dec 19, 2007
@poster,

I think u shld be ashamed of urself coming out to tell us, cant u for God sake help him out? it isn`t a disease, its just a flaw dat cld be amended while blowing IT out of proportion?as if its something out of this world,imagin urself getting married to a chinese man without english background or BABA ADEDIBU OF IBADAN POLITICS,wunt u cope if u love him?u are very selfish cos uv also mention in ur post that the guy get moni well well na him make u no want to leave the guy sha u be thief,dont u see it b4 kick starting the relationship in the 1st place why the clamouring now?make u take ur time ooooooo.GOLD DIGGER.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by lumideezle(m): 1:48am On Dec 20, 2007
how did the guy toast u sef sure it went lyk this (good mornings my names is MUFU what is your names
"i don dey" sorry i af bin seeing you 4 everywhere so i wan hail you

he realises he cant continue wit the eng so he says

em, how ur papa nw,
hope say everything dey ayt
i go like seeu for my house
u go fit come,

a, ya, i feel 4 the guy and he is sucessfull, the only person i blame is his english teacher in pry sch omo the guy no try at all
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by Nobody: 1:51am On Dec 20, 2007
If he has money,we can manage cool
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by okooyinbo(m): 9:58am On Dec 20, 2007
why should i even toast a girl in english? These unna self wey carry another people language and culture above unna own, na you pipulu dey spoil our mother Afrika. There's a Yoruba saying that goes: "Odo kii san ki o gbagbe orisu re, "! And any river that does forget it source would surely dry up. Forget the boy's spoken english and look at the character! If its good, go get him before someone else does. Remember, Obasanjo census claims there are more men than women in Nigeria. Dont be too snobbish and selective.

In this oyinbo country wey i dey so jeje, if i no fit talk dem Girama, yet i fit nakk, I go get dem phlenti phlenti. As long as mething is strong, who needs spoken language?

BTW: I am very fluent in spoken and written Yoruba (n Ilaje dialect ofcourse), German and English. I can also say some dirty words in Hausa, Igbo, Chinese, Russian, Kiswahili etc.

Abo oro l'a nwi fun omoluabi, ti o ba de inu re a di odindi. Epini ti mo ni l'eyi!

Fun gbobgo awon Kenimani:
E ma ma yeee, eyin keni ma ma ni o, e je' nlo 'gba ara mi o, ebe mo be o.

Hun ara Ilaje, ahan olobele oma 'malokun ati dede oma Naija:
Mo ki dede oma Ilaje ati dede one yi mi fe ire 'pe: Odon yi a tu dede wa n'ara o. Ede Ilaje mo fo rin o. Le o yemi, le o bami, an le o dede one.

Pls: I am looking for some1 to teach me Hausa and Igbo. I am no more the youngest, therefore you have to be bery bery easygoing and patient persons.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by okooyinbo(m): 10:13am On Dec 20, 2007
Addendum:

Honestly, a girl that complains about my poor english is gone for good, however beautiful she might be. At this stage I have reached now, I have no admiration for any of these english apologists. Get real people and adore the real thing. If i wanna get low with a hausa yanriya, i'd try to toast her in Hausa. If its Igbo, I wont even speak. I'll let me EURO talk for me. And if its a Yoruba girl, ma gbe lenu jo pupo pelu ede tashere mi. Ma jeki o mo wipe: "omo o ti wa ju! Ti o ko ba ba mi lo, ma comit nitori e ati beebee lo, ".
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by sammy6(m): 10:35am On Dec 20, 2007
lol
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by oziomatv(m): 11:20am On Dec 20, 2007
Ladies put it this way
wealthy man but poor english
english master but poor man
ladies vote and see how many of you in the house will choose poverty.
Re: What If Your Boyfriend's Spoken English Is Really Poor? by romeo(m): 11:48am On Dec 20, 2007
fizofly:

Hello ladies can you go out with a guy with poor spoken english? This guy is okay financially, he is good looking, and with a nice atitude. but the greates flaw is that he speaks his english really badly and considering that fact that the chick he is dating is quite creme.
Should she leave him or what 'cus she has tried her best to correct or caution him but mbah the home boy still dey trow missles.

I understand that you are the guy in question! but keep ya head up and don't let any village girl run you down because of language(foreign).

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Fiancee Won't Allow Visits Or Intimacy / Did I Beg You To Marry Me? / G-STRING: What Should I Do With These Panties? [Picture]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.