Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,986 members, 7,835,304 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Why You Should Not Contact Your EX - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why You Should Not Contact Your EX (29212 Views)

Can You Stay Friends With Your Ex? / Will You Contact Your Ex-boyfriend? / Can you Date your Ex-Lover's Brother or Sister? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by 190: 8:07am On Aug 08, 2012
I have seen a large number of threads in this forum pointing out either partner, or both, wanting to 'be friends' after a breakup. I decided to do some research on this topic, and post it here for all those encountering the dilemma to review and understand. I will break down many common reasons why we tend to believe being friends or communicating with your ex after a breakup is healthy or normal. I hope everyone finds this useful!

The Big Question: Why? Why does my ex want to be friends? Why do I want to be friends with my ex?
Answer: After a breakup, there is a huge hole in your life. You likely went from spending many hours a week together to none. Humans are creature of habit, and when a habit breaks we seek to restore or compensate for it. Imagine if you had another man/woman you could to crawl into bed with after a breakup. You probably would, wouldn't you? That is you filling the void; and a reason why its not your 'ex' that you want to stay in touch with, but anyone who will fill the gap that was your ex.

Reason 1: I actually have a lot of good reasons to stay in touch...
Truth: No. You have a lot of excuses, not reasons.

Reason 2: This person was really important in my life, why wouldn't we stay friends? We mean a lot to each other.
Truth: They were really important. If your ex is the one trying to be friends, it's not that they actually want you back, its that they are having a hard time getting over the relationship. The same for vise versa. And don't kid yourself, if you stayed friends you wouldn't have the same standards you keep as with any other friend. You are subconsciously seeing yourself as with this person still.

Reason 3: I need closure, I need to stay in touch to get over him/her.
Truth: Nope, closure isn't provided by your ex, it is provided by you, through grieving and accepting your loss.

Reason 4: I need to find out why he/she dumped me, -Or- I need to let him/her know why I dumped them.
Truth: What does it matter? You can't change your ex's way of thinking. There was something incompatible about you two and it's not going to change overnight. Hearing or giving a laundry list of reasons for being dumped or dumping them is not going to get you two back together. It will only make you become more insecure.

Reason 5: If we stay friends we may get back together again.
Truth: It could happen, but it will fail again. Without time alone to grieve, you are both bound for the same fate. You are each continuing to pick the scabs of the relationship, never letting them completely heal. You are also likely to be self destructive during this time; you are probably trying to 'fix' everything thing that was wrong to make your ex happy. This type of behavior leads to resentment. With resentment, you are incapable of loving. You are not yourself.

Reason 6: I need to return some items or retrieve some.
Truth: Like what? Your soap? These exchanges should occur within the first day or two. Anything that you 'need' after that time probably wasn't really 'needed', and is rather an excuse to see your ex. Any gifts you received or gave should remain with the recipient. A gift does not belong to the giver, but the receiver. This type of behavior could further damage yourself. What if they have already moved on and you run into their new mate? See what I mean?

Reason 7: We had great sex, and want to be friends with benefits now.
Truth: Again, not accepting your loss. You are probably assuming it is still exclusive, which really means you still see it as a relationship; which it is not. This behavior is likely to lead to confusion, insecurity (over pondering what they are doing when you are not together), and believe it will lead back to a relationship. Also, it prevents you from moving on. You aren't going to find your next partner while still sleeping with your ex.

Reason 8: We work at the same place, live in the same neighborhood, go to the same school, we have children, etc.
Truth: This may be, but it does not imply you need to have consistent generic communication. If you work at the same place, keep conversation brief and work related. If same school, its ok to say hi passing each other in the hallway. Have kids together? Keep the conversation in relation to them. Anything outside of these boundaries is an excuse to keep in contact with your ex, and again, preventing you from grieving and moving on.

Conclusion: Play out any of these in your head. How do honestly picture them going? That's right, not well, in fact it may even make it worse. Do you really believe your ex will magically become 'the one' by staying friends with them? Will they magically get that sex drive back? Trust you around your friends? Be more open about their feelings? Spend more time with you? The answer is no, and if so, only temporarily until they become comfortable again. If it hurts when you do that, don't do it.

Closing Statement: Its hard, but is necessary. DO NOT CONTACT OR RESPOND TO YOUR EX!!!

21 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by ayobase(m): 9:00am On Aug 08, 2012
I don't thoroughly accept that!
There is nothing wrong being friends if MATURITY and UNDERSTANDING are involved.
Im cool with having my EXs as buddies....they tell one the truth.
Quitting a relationship is based on many factors.....Im not talking about the heartbreakers, gigolos, don juans, womanizers and the kids, but, the responsible ones.
IMO, Heartbreak is different from Quit.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by 190: 9:05am On Aug 08, 2012
^young man
you seem to have forgotten that during breakups
one person is always at the receiving terrible end, there are no breakups where
both parties would smile to emselves and laff it off and head their respective ways- so wah r u talking about

10 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 08, 2012
Complexities Suck -- Fiffle really find it difficult to let go of past shitz and move On in life.

Dark side of too many late night movies i guess -- Nice thread Bubba, u hitted the snag perfectly!
cool
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by 190: 10:02am On Aug 08, 2012
El Guapo: Complexities Suck -- Fiffle really find it difficult to let go of past shitz and move On in life.

Dark side of too many late night movies i guess -- Nice thread Bubba, u hitted the snag perfectly!
cool

ure well come loco ure well come
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 08, 2012
There's nothing wrong with being friends after a relationship as long as the relationship ended on mutual terms. Often times, however, that is not the case. In these cases, friendships don't work. If anything, they're forced and, often times, one is controlling the other. The one being controlled never has a clue that he/she is being controlled. It's a strange phenomenon, as if they feel obliged to further insult or injury.

So, I agree with 190's epistle with the condition being that the relationship did not end on amicable terms.
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 08, 2012
190:

ure well come loco ure well come

But tell me bubba - Did ya in anyway google up tis write up? undecided undecided
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by 190: 10:20am On Aug 08, 2012
ogugua88: There's nothing wrong with being friends after a relationship as long as the relationship ended on mutual terms. Often times, however, that is not the case. In these cases, friendships don't work. If anything, they're forced and, often times, one is controlling the other. The one being controlled never has a clue that he/she is being controlled. It's a strange phenomenon, as if they feel obliged to further insult or injury.

So, I agree with 190's epistle with the condition being that the relationship did not end on amicable terms.

thats my gurl cool
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by 190: 10:21am On Aug 08, 2012
El Guapo:

[font = Lucida Sans Unicode]But tell me bubba - Did ya in anyway google up tis write up? undecided undecided [/font]

your answer is my last response to you on that chelsea thread angry angry
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by chillaz(f): 10:22am On Aug 08, 2012
Whatz with the Red font!!!
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 08, 2012
Chillaz your face dey change.
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Nobody: 10:24am On Aug 08, 2012
I reserve my commentaries grin
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 08, 2012
190:

your answer is my last response to you on that chelsea thread angry angry

But like Seriously Bubba, ya answer would be vital to the project am writing on Ecosystem cool cool
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by truthhurts2: 10:30am On Aug 08, 2012
@OP there so many tinz dat brings about breaking up. If the reasons are geniue nd NOT sum flimpsy xscuse, i can't see any reason of being friend again, no calling, no visiting, nd even if there's a party to attend to nd u knw dat ur ex will also be there, u should skip it. Coz ur coming 2geda again will b a DISASTER. The relationship will never work. THE MOST ESPECIALLY...... NEVER REGRET THAT YOU BROKE-UP

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by 190: 10:32am On Aug 08, 2012
chillaz: Whatz with the Red font!!!

whats with the stolen profile pics you keep putting up undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by 190: 10:33am On Aug 08, 2012
truth-hurts:
@OP there so many tinz dat brings about breaking up. If the reasons are geniue nd NOT sum flimpsy xscuse, i can't see any reason of being friend again, no calling, no visiting, nd even if there's a party to attend to nd u knw dat ur ex will also be there, u should skip it. Coz ur coming 2geda again will b a DISASTER. The relationship will never work. THE MOST ESPECIALLY...... NEVER REGRET THAT YOU BROKE-UP

gbam!! cool

El Guapo:

But like Seriously Bubba, ya answer would be vital to the project am writing on Ecosystem cool cool
grin grin grin
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 08, 2012
190: grin grin grin

Mission Accomplished cheesy
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 08, 2012
190:

whats with the stolen profile pics you keep putting up undecided

Bursted grin cheesy

190: grin grin grin

Mission Accomplished - Alpha Can u Read me? cheesy
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by ayobase(m): 10:50am On Aug 08, 2012
@OP......the lady in the house has given u the answer.
Im in good terms with my Exs......d ways we handle issues differ!

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by 190: 10:52am On Aug 08, 2012
ayobase: @OP......the lady in the house has given u the answer.
Im in good terms with my Exs......d ways we handle issues differ!

smh undecided
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 08, 2012
190: Guapo leave here this minute grin angry angry

Yes Boss cheesy
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by sweetcheecks(f): 11:47am On Aug 08, 2012
@190 I think this is your fourth or fifth thread about letting go of ex's and past relationships. Are you not projecting here? Please do not give emotionally charged advice, it might be coming from a wrong place( hurt ).

The problem with people is wanting to right rules about relationships, there aint any. Do what feels right to you to heal. Do not punish yourself becouse someone said don't.

Gee, painful living!

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by 190: 1:46pm On Aug 08, 2012
shocked angry angry
Re: Why You Should Not Contact Your EX by Skii(m): 1:52pm On Aug 08, 2012
190 did you write this?

I mean the same 190 shocked shocked shocked

WOW...Things have changed in this section o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do Many Nigerian Men Woo Ladies Using English? / What Is The One Thing That Always Gets People Attracted To You? / Groom In Traditional Attire Ties The Knot From Hospital Bed In SA (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.