Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,008 members, 7,821,534 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola (7320 Views)

New Lagos Governor Ambode Incompetent - The Economist / Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE / Fashola: Stay In Your Village If You Cant Obey Our Traffic Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by naptu2: 9:22am On Aug 13, 2012
[size=14pt]New Lagos traffic law takes immediate effect - Fashola[/size]

Monday, 13 August 2012 00:00 JOSHUA BASSEY

Contrary to the general view that the enforcement of the Lagos traffic law recently signed by Governor Babatunde Fashola is deferred pending public enlightenment, the law is already in force  and an offender risks the sanctions as prescribed therein.

Governor Fashola who disclosed this in an exclusive interview with BusinessDay in his office on Thursday, said the law became operational the moment it was signed, as it is no suspended law.  The law which seeks to regulate and sanitise the chaotic public transportation system in Lagos, Nigeria’s economic hub, was assented to by the governor on August 2, 2012.

Some aspects of the law include the criminalisation of eating and making or receiving phone calls while on wheel, driving against traffic flow (one-way) and the barring of motorcycles from dual carriageways in Lagos.  The new law prescribes a jail term of three years and fines ranging between N20,000 and N30,000 for offenders.    Some officials of the state government, a day after the law was signed had said that the enforcement would not begin until the general public was fully sensitised, to avoid claims of ignorance.

But speaking to BusinessDay, Fashola said “Once a law has been signed without a deferred commencement day, it becomes the law. If you’re apprehended violating it, you will get the appropriate sanctions that the law prescribes immediately. There is no suspended law. The law is in force.” The governor explained however, that the commitment and focus of the state government in the meantime, was not on arrest of offenders, but to educate the people about their rights and liabilities with regard to the new law, as well as provide enough signages and information.

“What we’re concerned about is not how many people we catch; it’s how many people we convert into compliance by the strength and the advocacy for the values of compliance. And that’s what we want to focus on in the short term. In the medium term, some increased enforcement and in the long term, total, uncompromising zero-tolerance. By that time, we would have more people voluntarily complying; you’ll see that it’s the same thing as our environmental laws. We spent a lot of time advocating, although that did not mean it was not a crime to dump rubbish in the drain. It did not mean it was not an offence to build on the drainage. We just spent some time on advocacy on the danger of flooding. That’s what we’re going to do again. That’s the government we are, communicating with our people,” Fashola said.

He also debunked the insinuation that revenue generation was at the heart of his administration in fashioning out the law, saying rather, that it was meant to address disorderliness and create economic prosperity for all.
“Let me make one thing clear: No amount of fines that we get can deliver on the economic prosperity that is possible if the Lagos traffic works. So, it’s a tunnel vision approach to think that this is about revenue generation. I’ve heard some of our political opponents say that this is all about revenue; they’ve been out of government for so long they don’t even understand this is not a kobo-kobo business. It’s about general prosperity, when people can travel seamlessly from one end of the state to the other, government makes more money than when they’re locked down in traffic.

“Then, why do I want to put my citizens in jail; I don’t even have space. This is not about locking people; it’s about changing habits and changing a way of life. We’re moving on to a new plane, where a 30-minute journey is a 30-minute journey, not a five hour journey. When there’s breakdown, we already have capacity to remove it. But don’t compound difficulty by breaking the law, by driving against oncoming traffic,” he said.

The governor further explained that the law would address the increasing insecurity of the citizens and their property with the regulation of the operations of commercial motorcycles (okada) and buses, as they would now operate on specific routes assigned to them under the new regime.  BusinessDay reports that the issue of robbery with motorcycles has become a recurring  matter in major Nigerian cities, including Lagos.

“If you go to my inaugural address at my re-election, this was all I spoke about: law and order. It’s the only thing left. If we deviate from law and order, nothing will work. Nigerians have demonstrated that they can, I’ve seen that,” he said.
Fashola also unfolded plans to deepen the knowledge of the enforcers of the law, particularly officers of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) in the use of modern technology in traffic management.

According to him, there’s a lot of technology currently in use, which LASTMA officials are tapping into. He cited the example of Auto Inspector- hand-held devices which enable traffic officers track information about any car registered in Lagos and its owner.

“I’ve told LASTMA, understand your brief. Your brief is to keep Lagos traffic moving. Your brief is not necessarily to apprehend people. So if you see an offender, it does you no good to struggle for his key. Take his photograph with your camera or phone camera and give us a detailed report. We can find him. We have a device now, called auto-inspector, and I can give you the name of the owner of any vehicle registered in this state.

Now we’re already looking at how we can deploy cameras to the traffic lights that we’re putting up. So if you run a light, we’ll come and meet you at home,” the governor said

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/42711-new-lagos-traffic-law-takes-immediate-effect-fashola

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by KiKatanga: 9:32am On Aug 13, 2012
Well done!

Hopefully the police will be out enforcing the laws for a month or so, without the fine, and the fines will come afterwards.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Clerverly: 9:32am On Aug 13, 2012
Peoples's governor, lead while others follow kiss

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by omosexy1: 9:37am On Aug 13, 2012
“I’ve told LASTMA, understand your brief. Your brief is to keep Lagos traffic moving. Your brief is not necessarily to apprehend people. So if you see an offender, it does you no good to struggle for his key. Take his photograph with your camera or phone camera and give us a detailed report. We can find him. We have a device now, called auto-inspector, and I can give you the name of the owner of any vehicle registered in this state.

Now we’re already looking at how we can deploy cameras to the traffic lights that we’re putting up. So if you run a light, we’ll come and meet you at home,” the governor said.

I think the Governor should first check their sanity before reiterating their brief because the LASTMA officers I see are stationary traffic wardens waiting for traffic violators. But the funny thing is that they are friends with commercial vehicles who are they worst traffic violators in Lagos.

Please the technology should be effective that is the only way traffic sanity can be restored.

4 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Taiw(m): 10:16am On Aug 13, 2012
This is a good step frm the lagos state Governor.The only part of the law i dont like is the forfeiture of ur vechicle to the state. For what na?
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by bisikeys: 10:17am On Aug 13, 2012
I have a question............ Is it all okadas that are banned or just commercial ones?
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Oleros: 10:19am On Aug 13, 2012
Keep up the good work Fashola
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Biggoozz: 10:24am On Aug 13, 2012
Dear God, I know you did not abandon Nigeria, pls make Fashola our President if we are still one by 2015. Amen.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by gsmgold: 10:27am On Aug 13, 2012
Well done fash...
However, d neccesary agencies shd create more awareness concernin d laws
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Shaw007(m): 10:31am On Aug 13, 2012
“If you go to my inaugural address at my re-election, this was all I spoke about: law and order. It’s the only thingleft
seriously?? I dont live in lagos so i dont understand that statement,is he for real?? Hs everytin else really been taken care of?? Like. . .everytin that has 2 do about development has been taken cared of,the only tin left is law and order??

2 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by SlyIg(f): 10:32am On Aug 13, 2012
Im sure some people will still come up to kick against what this man is doing!
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Shaw007(m): 10:34am On Aug 13, 2012
Biggoozz: Dear God, I know you did not abandon Nigeria, pls make Fashola our President if we are still one by 2015. Amen.

lol. . .as much as we all want that 2 happen,you know our northern brothers has been out of power for way 2 long(except yar'adua) which was cut short,that is basically throwing Nigeria in2 anoda civil war
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by naptu2: 10:36am On Aug 13, 2012
Be aware that, with the auto inspector, the government can still apprehend you, even if you "escape" from the scene of the crime.

A traffic official can get your name, address, date of registration, etc by punching your license plate number into the machine.

Fashola launching the auto inspector in 2011 https://www.nairaland.com/730081/traffic-congestion-fashola-lunches-new

Policeman who blocked BRT lane, shot at Lastma officials and escaped, arrested with the aid of the auto inspector https://www.nairaland.com/1006890/policeman-protests-towing-car-shoots

Woman who drove against the flow of traffic, leading to the death of lastma official, arrested with the aid of the auto inspector. https://www.nairaland.com/1015639/danfo-killed-lastma-official-not
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by megawax8: 10:42am On Aug 13, 2012
oyibo!......i'm rily hopeful dis works but if lagos is a state in NIGERIA,i tink we shuld do lots of fasting and prayers
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Sayit1: 10:50am On Aug 13, 2012
This is the type of Governor that we need in Abia state. A man that has an element of sincerity when speaking to his people, and not Abia state Governor that knows NOTHING about governance. Ride on Fashola.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by drnoel: 10:59am On Aug 13, 2012
The new traffic law is bullshit. How can fashola hope to enforce a law when he has not put infrastructions to aid the public obey the law. He has not build all the roads in lagos. Most of the roads are still at their sorry state. Besides how many traffic lights has he installed so far. More than 60% of roads that require traffic lights don´t have em and he is talking about fitting em with cameras. Is that not a mark of irresponsiblity. How does one count from 1 to 10 without calling 2,3,4 e.t.c or does one just jump to 40 while trying to count to 10. He may have good ideas but he is going about it the wrong. The said traffic law is not even in circulation yet or has anyone seen a copy yet or does he expect all lagosians to go in massess to the government house asking to see the new traffic law,..bullshit. How does one enact a law and expects it to be obeyed if the public do not know what the law comprises of and how to obey it...Fashiola is just irresponsible period.

6 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Taitaiwo: 11:05am On Aug 13, 2012
I' happy fr dis new development. Rideon
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by jason123: 11:11am On Aug 13, 2012
Nice one Fashola. You've done it again...
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by jason123: 11:14am On Aug 13, 2012
drnoel: The new traffic law is bullshit. How can fashola hope to enforce a law when he has not put infrastructions to aid the public obey the law. He has not build all the roads in lagos. Most of the roads are still at their sorry state. Besides how many traffic lights has he installed so far. More than 60% of raods the require traffic lights don´t have em and he is talking about fitting em with cameras. Is that not a mark of irresponsiblity. How does one count from 1 to 10 without calling 2,3,4 e.t.c or does one just jump to 40 while trying to count to 10. He may have good ideas but he is going about it the wrong. The said traffic law is not even in circulation yet or has anyone seen a copy yet or does he expect all lagosians to go in massess to the government house asking to see the new traffic law,..bullshit. How does one enact a law and expects it to be obeyed if the public do not know what the law comprises of and how to obey it...Fashiola is just irresponsible period.

I hope you know the difference between federal roads and state roads

2 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by drnoel: 11:15am On Aug 13, 2012
jason123:

I hope you know the difference between federal roads and state roads

lol, but of course i do. If that is all u have to say then u got nothing to say or do u want us to believe that every single road in lagos is a federal road.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by playboy19(m): 11:24am On Aug 13, 2012
drnoel:

lol, but of course i do. If that is all u have to say then u got nothing to say.

I doubt you do. And by the way, speaking about the law being in circulation, how else do you expect him to disseminate the law to the people? You don't expect him to print the laws in hard copies and send a copy to your home, do you?

You have read about it, its your responsibility to find out about the law. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse. I wonder if you have ever received a copy of Nigerian Constitution in the mail from the federal government. Have you?

7 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by duality(m): 11:39am On Aug 13, 2012
Useless law.

we shall see the percentage of compliance.
by 2015, we shall finally put real smiles in the faces of Lagosians.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by nochio(m): 12:14pm On Aug 13, 2012
The new traffice law is good,but roads should be fixed first,and LASTMA officials should be brainchecked.A LASTMA official who does not have a copy of the traffic code(Nigerian),collects money from danfo drivers to cause traffic(iyana ipaja)and arrests a driver who's trying to avoid pot holes claiming d driver has left his lane,arrests pple who slow down just to ask for directions while the engine is running(claiming d pple parked)stops and jumps infront of vehicles like armed whatever claiming they drove through a one way road when there's no sign @ the start of the road but @ the end or not at all,LASTMA officials dat throw sharp objects on the road,make phone calls as well while driving,don't know their jurisdiction,tow vehicles that have flat tyre or mechanical issues as if the car owner himself wants to sleep on the road or wishes to deliberately damage his vehicle so as to spend money on it later.All these and several more are reasons why roads and other infrastructure need to be fixed first rather enforcing laws first by Govt officials who sit @ d back of their vehicles(ac tight)while their envoy/convoy with blazing lights scare other road users away with koboko and reckless driving till the drivers hit themselves cos of panic then LASTMA again comes to arrest them.I love all ur comments but let's put some objectivity into our discussions I know he's ur Governor,but good roads,alternative roads/link roads(most needed in Lagos)should come first,then drivers won't have excuses for disobeying una law,welldone.

3 Likes

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by gbadexy(m): 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2012
The law is okay, why would any sane person drive against traffic.
My reservations are, there are some streets that are one way and without signs to warn people, you only know if you are familiar with the area.
Also, the traffic lights at the lekki expressway should be adjusted so that there is sufficient time between the amber light and the red light. I have been apprehended once for running the light but I had no choice as I was on high speed on the free express road when the light changed to amber and almost instantly to red. Another time I stopped suddenly by slamming on the break in order not to run the light, a car whose break wasn't sharp slammed me from the back.
Bearing in mind that lekki expressway is a fast road, I think the traffic light that indicates the countdown of the green light time should be installed.
I guess the best option would be to drop your car at home and take public transport to areas you are not familiar with.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by kennytidistar(m): 12:43pm On Aug 13, 2012
[drnoel]The new traffic law is bullshit. How can fashola hope to
enforce a law when he has not put infrastructions to aid the public obey
the law. He has not build all the roads in lagos. Most of the roads are
still at their sorry state. Besides how many traffic lights has he
installed so far. More than 60% of roads that require traffic lights
don´t have em and he is talking about fitting em with cameras. Is that
not a mark of irresponsiblity. How does one count from 1 to 10 without
calling 2,3,4 e.t.c or does one just jump to 40 while trying to count to
10. He may have good ideas but he is going about it the wrong. The said
traffic law is not even in circulation yet or has anyone seen a copy
yet or does he expect all lagosians to go in massess to the government
house asking to see the new traffic law,..bullshit. How does one enact a
law and expects it to be obeyed if the public do not know what the law
comprises of and how to obey it...Fashiola is just irresponsible
period.

weldone it shows you are with your sense and not robotic, i read somebody said he should come to rule in abia, i just pity them because that law is not new it was once introduced during the colonial era when the white base and build lagos where his fashola when ikoyi, obalende, falomo, victoria island, lagos island, etc were built by the white it he go to abia im sure he wont even know where to start from.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by kennytidistar(m): 12:44pm On Aug 13, 2012
[drnoel]The new traffic law is bullshit. How can fashola hope to
enforce a law when he has not put infrastructions to aid the public obey
the law. He has not build all the roads in lagos. Most of the roads are
still at their sorry state. Besides how many traffic lights has he
installed so far. More than 60% of roads that require traffic lights
don´t have em and he is talking about fitting em with cameras. Is that
not a mark of irresponsiblity. How does one count from 1 to 10 without
calling 2,3,4 e.t.c or does one just jump to 40 while trying to count to
10. He may have good ideas but he is going about it the wrong. The said
traffic law is not even in circulation yet or has anyone seen a copy
yet or does he expect all lagosians to go in massess to the government
house asking to see the new traffic law,..bullshit. How does one enact a
law and expects it to be obeyed if the public do not know what the law
comprises of and how to obey it...Fashiola is just irresponsible
period.

weldone it shows you are with your sense and not robotic, i read somebody said he should come to rule in abia, i just pity them because that law is not new it was once introduced during the colonial era when the white base and build lagos where his fashola when ikoyi, obalende, falomo, victoria island, lagos island, etc were built by the white it he go to abia im sure he wont even know where to start from.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by emmatok(m): 1:00pm On Aug 13, 2012
naptu2:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/42711-new-lagos-traffic-law-takes-immediate-effect-fashola

Oga FASHOLA , I was told that your boys NURTW (agberos) won't obey that law.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by kennytidistar(m): 1:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
majority of the danfo are own by agbero, kai, and lastma. so pls who will implement the law?
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by olivertwist: 2:49pm On Aug 13, 2012
SMH...Some people are pessimist from birth and they will die as pessimist. May those that doesn't want the progress of Lagos state be perish on their way to their village(Ise eee}.

For those that wants to see Lagos develop into a modern mega city as planned, may you continue to witness progress in your life{Ise eee}

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by drnoel: 3:30pm On Aug 13, 2012
olivertwist: SMH...Some people are pessimist from birth and they will die as pessimist. May those that doesn't want the progress of Lagos state be perish on their way to their village(Ise eee}.

For those that wants to see Lagos develop into a modern mega city as planned, may you continue to witness progress in your life{Ise eee}
and what is this supposed to mean.
Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Rilikoko(m): 3:40pm On Aug 13, 2012
[quote author=Shaw007]seriously?? I dont live in lagos so i dont understand that statement,is he for real?? Hs everytin else really been taken care of?? Like. . .everytin that has 2 do about development has been taken cared of,the only tin left is law and order??
Wat fashola was trying say is dat almost evry aspect of development has been touched expect law n order...dere r ongoing road constructions,new hospitals r being commissioned,d education sector is nt left out n so on.bt wit all dis development there is need fr order n decorum within d society so dat we don't fall back to where we are getting out from.d govt av shown a great level of responsibilty if u agree wit me,it is nw d turn of d citizens to be responsible too.

1 Like

Re: New Lagos Traffic-Law Takes Immediate Effect - Fashola by Rilikoko(m): 3:41pm On Aug 13, 2012
Shaw007: seriously?? I dont live in lagos so i dont understand that statement,is he for real?? Hs everytin else really been taken care of?? Like. . .everytin that has 2 do about development has been taken cared of,the only tin left is law and order??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ebiseni Picks PDP Governorship Form / No Allocation For Permanent Structure On Coastal Road Site - LASG / Tinubu: I didn't attend primary, secondary schools. My Certificates Were Stolen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.