Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,736 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates - Education (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates (121763 Views)

Pressid 2015/2016 List Of Successful Candidates / Covenant University’s First Class Graduates Dominate PRESSID / PRESSID Scholarship; List Of Successful Candidates. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by olusuccess2012: 5:23am On Sep 29, 2012
I can see a better Nigeria in no distant time. I don't see any reason why intellectual forum members here should not maximize this opportunity to commend the impeccable stride of the implementation committee on the PRESSID assignment. From day one, the President of the FRN has said that this issue of PRESSID is going to be 100% merit based. By the way, a first class degree holder (who is a Tiv by tribe for instance)may have graduated from OAU or UNIPORT or better still UDUS Sokoto where he or she has competed favourably with Nigerians of all tribes even foreigners. Why MUST it be a matter of FEDERAL character now. Did u get ur FIRST class by FEDERAL CHARACTER? Please, I stand to be corrected.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by olusuccess2012: 9:40am On Sep 29, 2012
olusuccess2012: I can see a better Nigeria in no distant time. I don't see any reason why intellectual forum members here should not maximize this opportunity to commend the impeccable stride of the implementation committee on the PRESSID assignment. From day one, the President of the FRN has said that this issue of PRESSID is going to be 100% merit based. By the way, a first class degree holder (who is a Tiv by tribe for instance)may have graduated from OAU or UNIPORT or better still UDUS Sokoto where he or she has competed favourably with Nigerians of all tribes even foreigners. Why MUST it be a matter of FEDERAL character now. Did u get ur FIRST class by FEDERAL CHARACTER? Please, I stand to be corrected.
olusuccess2012: I can see a better Nigeria in no distant time. I don't see any reason why intellectual forum members here should not maximize this opportunity to commend the impeccable stride of the implementation committee on the PRESSID assignment. From day one, the President of the FRN has said that this issue of PRESSID is going to be 100% merit based. By the way, a first class degree holder (who is a Tiv by tribe for instance)may have graduated from OAU or UNIPORT or better still UDUS Sokoto where he or she has competed favourably with Nigerians of all tribes even foreigners. Why MUST it be a matter of FEDERAL character now. Did u get ur FIRST class by FEDERAL CHARACTER? Please, I stand to be corrected.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by zzaacx: 10:24am On Sep 29, 2012
Morning, Thanks for your views GiantParrot, dualprince, PhatIon and olusuccess2012.. First of all let me state this, I was also awarded the scholarship. its not that am jealous or anything. being a Nigerian, it is sad to say we are divided by religion and tribe. this two factors are the main problems we face today.

As i recall 2011, there is no representation of the yoruba people in the top five positions in Nigeria, why was that? are you trying to tell me they cant produce a good person for any of the slots? Nigeria has be built on power sharing since its inception. however at the early stages we had selfless people (who dont care about self wealth eg when ahmadu bello died is account was over drawn by 5 naira so he was in dept, when Maitama sule was removed as minister he had to borrow money from his friends to take his family back to kano from lagos) but now the tables have turned. Our main problem as Nigerians now is that we dont know how to identify selfless people.

Nigeria is not the only country that employs zoning in one form or the other... if every thing was merit based you will get a high concentration of educated people in one area. the aim of the government in this case is to elevate its universities by providing better lecturers. any university you go to the majority of the students are from that geopolitical zone mainly because of various factors such as security, religion, cost etc.

Trust me general knowledge on road signs doesn't mean ur smart.. it just tells me you know ur traffic rules.. its has even be argued that tests are not the through determinates of knowledge.

Dear GaintParrot, how do you measure the impact of other scholarships, the question i have for you is how did you measure the impact? i believe its to early to tell.. its just like me asking you what is the impact have you made to nigeria from being awarded your degree last year or the year before.. only time can tell your impact.

Dear dualprince, the problem is, there is no unity. our problem comes from simply lack of obeying rules and regulations. the federal character aims to ensure equal representation of all sides at all levels of government. dude its not the system that is corrupt its the people. I have a quote for you "if you think education is expensive try ignorance." the French and Russians did it and they paid heavily cause it ignited revolutions, education and wealth should not be concentrated in specific areas. unity can only be gotten if all sides feel equal.

Dear olusuccess2012, all scholarships awarded in nigeria are said to be merit based however other factors take into effect like eg best two students in all states. and trust me if it wasn't for zoning jonathan wont be where he is today. if ur hausa at the end of the day you wont stay in benin, you will move back.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Elcherino4: 2:54pm On Sep 29, 2012
@Immortal! Prof. Julius Okojie works unda d Nigerian gov't & has to dance to their tune. Even d GEJ has pple he is loyal to, datz 9ja 4 u.
@zzaccx I also notice dat ova 60% are from one geopolitical zone. This is not workin 2wards Unity. Take 4 exp d Northerners in Nigeria who nw bliv because of their population shud b d ones to rule always. Of the about 38 or so years of dem rulin d north stil has one of d most poverty stricken pple.
@ daulprince, federal character is what is stil kipin Nigeria til 2day, take dat away and Nigeria wil no longer b one.
Nigeria is a diverse country wit many ethnic groups and languages, let us acept dat, both majority n minority languages.
Even in d quota-based system, d best wil stil b selected. If u say purely merit regardles of ur region, den a time wil com wen evrytin wil bcom so one-sided and what next? REVOLUTION wil b d next option. Why do u tink Revolution is evrywhere? Only d rich are getin richer, d poor can easily b influenced and violence wil b an alternative.
If u say purely merit a time wil come only pple 4rm d S/west wil enjoy evrytin, blood is thicker dan water remember! We knw guys 4rm S/west were d first to completely welcome western education. So shud dey use dat as opportunity to be evrywere? Then d Northerners shud also use deir population to rule Nigeria til eternity, d S/south guys shud also monopolise deir oil and d S/east guys shud also monpolise deir business ideas.
NUC/PRESSID committee's integrity should b questioned 4rm d day dey started bendin d criteria 4 selection;
4rm statin clearly dat only graduates of 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 are eligible to seeing graduates as far bak as 2006 shortlisted and awarded. Pls guys is dis d integrity U are all talkin about? We are all learned pls no sentiment.
4rm sayin U must hav completed NYSC to sayin if u can provide ur NYSC cert by october 2012
4rm sayin shortlisted candidates shuld com 4 selection test to sayin WAEC results wil b used, for gudness sake some people went 2 public schools were u dont get much coachin most of d work is done by d student. Dont 4get WAEC can be bought dis days.
Check out PTDF after d test selection is based on d test score. WAEC has bin used to shortlist 4 d test y use it again to award d scholarship? Otherwise clearly state dat what u nid are WAEC students with A1 and not first class graduates.
@Giantparrot sori to say don't act lyk ur name. @PhatIon who go say him mama soup no sweet? U hav bin awarded abi?
Let me ask al d awardees on simple question pls b sincere.
Which of u after havin ur PhD wil lyk to go to a troubled state lyk maiduguri and serve?
These are d challenges we are talkin about wen nowhere wil b safe to go.
@olusuccess2012: u r talkin lyk an awardee. U can see a beta Nigeria, sori to say we have bin hearin dat since we were children.
@zzaccx weldone. Eventhough u were awarded u stil knw their is somtin wrong somwhere.
Pls no offence. Just my own point of view.
It wil b a gr8 idea if we can publish somtin on d paper about dis and make tinz rite let us liv sentiment out of dis. Dis is just a forum let us not continue to say what we dont knw much about. Thanks evry1.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by whizkidy: 3:19pm On Sep 29, 2012
Elcherino4: @Immortal! Prof. Julius Okojie works unda d Nigerian gov't & has to dance to their tune. Even d GEJ has pple he is loyal to, datz 9ja 4 u.
@zzaccx I also notice dat ova 60% are from one geopolitical zone. This is not workin 2wards Unity. Take 4 exp d Northerners in Nigeria who nw bliv because of their population shud b d ones to rule always. Of the about 38 or so years of dem rulin d north stil has one of d most poverty stricken pple.
@ daulprince, federal character is what is stil kipin Nigeria til 2day, take dat away and Nigeria wil no longer b one.
Nigeria is a diverse country wit many ethnic groups and languages, let us acept dat, both majority n minority languages.
Even in d quota-based system, d best wil stil b selected. If u say purely merit regardles of ur region, den a time wil com wen evrytin wil bcom so one-sided and what next? REVOLUTION wil b d next option. Why do u tink Revolution is evrywhere? Only d rich are getin richer, d poor can easily b influenced and violence wil b an alternative.
If u say purely merit a time wil come only pple 4rm d S/west wil enjoy evrytin, blood is thicker dan water remember! We knw guys 4rm S/west were d first to completely welcome western education. So shud dey use dat as opportunity to be evrywere? Then d Northerners shud also use deir population to rule Nigeria til eternity, d S/south guys shud also monopolise deir oil and d S/east guys shud also monpolise deir business ideas.
NUC/PRESSID committee's integrity should b questioned 4rm d day dey started bendin d criteria 4 selection;
4rm statin clearly dat only graduates of 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 are eligible to seeing graduates as far bak as 2006 shortlisted and awarded. Pls guys is dis d integrity U are all talkin about? We are all learned pls no sentiment.
4rm sayin U must hav completed NYSC to sayin if u can provide ur NYSC cert by october 2012
4rm sayin shortlisted candidates shuld com 4 selection test to sayin WAEC results wil b used, for gudness sake some people went 2 public schools were u dont get much coachin most of d work is done by d student. Dont 4get WAEC can be bought dis days.
Check out PTDF after d test selection is based on d test score. WAEC has bin used to shortlist 4 d test y use it again to award d scholarship? Otherwise clearly state dat what u nid are WAEC students with A1 and not first class graduates.
@Giantparrot sori to say don't act lyk ur name. @PhatIon who go say him mama soup no sweet? U hav bin awarded abi?
Which of u after havin ur PhD wil lyk to go to a troubled state lyk maiduguri and serve?
@olusuccess2012: u r talkin lyk an awardee. U can see a beta Nigeria, sori to say we have bin hearin dat since we were children.
@zzaccx weldone. Eventhough u were awarded u stil knw their is somtin wrong somwhere.
It wil b a gr8 idea if we can publish somtin on d paper about dis and make tinz rite let us liv sentiment out of dis. Dis is just a forum let us not continue to say what we dont knw much about. Thanks evry1.
i agree with u my guy. I have been quiet since the list was released simply because i knew it would end this way. As regards what immortal said, you came here to tell us sometimes ago that u were with prof. Okojie sometimes ago and that he told u the criteria to be used. For crying out loud are you jonathan. If okojie can tell you then he should be bold enough to call a press conference to tell the public the criteria he used and why he had to make someone like me risk my life all the way to abuja to write an exam that would have little or no influence on the overall result. Take for example i have 4 distinctions in my waec which i used compared to 6 in neco. Had it been i was told they would end up using ssce result, i would have used my neco result. Anyways congrats to those who made it. We will all get there. Sorry about my typos.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 9:06pm On Sep 29, 2012
Elcherino4: @Immortal! Prof. Julius Okojie works unda d Nigerian gov't & has to dance to their tune. Even d GEJ has pple he is loyal to, datz 9ja 4 u.

Mr. Elcherino4: Your write-up was very touching.

Yes, I was awarded, but that has not successfully made me to shy away from reality, neither has it deceived me to think that this scheme is (or is going to be) the absolute solution to Nigeria's problem if the right infrastructure is not put in place in Nigerian universities and the nation in general, neither has it made me think that the problems of disunity or insecurity can be solved by this scheme or by awarding most or all the scholarships to educationally disadvantaged groups in the country (I don't mind forgoing my own award if that will make Nigerians unite, but we know that may just not be enough), neither has it changed what I stand for, and the reservations I have about altering criteria, the quality of the test, using WAEC results, delaying the final lists etc. (you can read my previous posts to verify), and also, Neither has it changed my belief in the use of merit (I may be wrong to think the use of merit will solve our problems better than the use of quota has done so far, but at least, I have a right to my opinion) despite the fact that, I also respect the rights of people who believe in quota, to their own opinion. As for me, I stand by merit even if it won't favour me & would be the reason why I won't be awarded (even if quota would have favoured me), but how many people who are in of support of quota would still support it, if it won't favour them (even if merit would have favoured them better)? The case of Nigeria is now so serious that, scholarships to 101 citizens with conditions that are not very nice (see guarantor's form for example) can not independently solve Nigeria's numerous problems, other things have to be put in place as well. Thanks for raising those issues anyway grin
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by GiantParrot(m): 11:24pm On Sep 29, 2012
zzaacx: Morning, Thanks for your views GiantParrot, dualprince, PhatIon and olusuccess2012.. First of all let me state this, I was also awarded the scholarship. its not that am jealous or anything. being a Nigerian, it is sad to say we are divided by religion and tribe. this two factors are the main problems we face today.

As i recall 2011, there is no representation of the yoruba people in the top five positions in Nigeria, why was that? are you trying to tell me they cant produce a good person for any of the slots? Nigeria has be built on power sharing since its inception. however at the early stages we had selfless people (who dont care about self wealth eg when ahmadu bello died is account was over drawn by 5 naira so he was in dept, when Maitama sule was removed as minister he had to borrow money from his friends to take his family back to kano from lagos) but now the tables have turned. Our main problem as Nigerians now is that we dont know how to identify selfless people.

Nigeria is not the only country that employs zoning in one form or the other... if every thing was merit based you will get a high concentration of educated people in one area. the aim of the government in this case is to elevate its universities by providing better lecturers. any university you go to the majority of the students are from that geopolitical zone mainly because of various factors such as security, religion, cost etc.

Trust me general knowledge on road signs doesn't mean ur smart.. it just tells me you know ur traffic rules.. its has even be argued that tests are not the through determinates of knowledge.

Dear GaintParrot, how do you measure the impact of other scholarships, the question i have for you is how did you measure the impact? i believe its to early to tell.. its just like me asking you what is the impact have you made to nigeria from being awarded your degree last year or the year before.. only time can tell your impact.

Dear dualprince, the problem is, there is no unity. our problem comes from simply lack of obeying rules and regulations. the federal character aims to ensure equal representation of all sides at all levels of government. dude its not the system that is corrupt its the people. I have a quote for you "if you think education is expensive try ignorance." the French and Russians did it and they paid heavily cause it ignited revolutions, education and wealth should not be concentrated in specific areas. unity can only be gotten if all sides feel equal.

Dear olusuccess2012, all scholarships awarded in nigeria are said to be merit based however other factors take into effect like eg best two students in all states. and trust me if it wasn't for zoning jonathan wont be where he is today. if ur hausa at the end of the day you wont stay in benin, you will move back.

Dear zzaacx, the PTDF scheme was instituted in 1973 (39 years ago) http://www.ptdf.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=54, and the NITDA was established in 2001 (11 years ago), I graduated 2010 (approx 2 years ago). The point of the facts listed above is to show to you that likening my expected impact to those of NITDA and PTDF is very faulty. And you must consider that I am just one person while these schemes ought to have provided many intelligent people with skills to better some aspects of this country.

On your reservations about the test, I am fairly in support. But from what I remember, the road signs questions were not up to ten and we had 100 questions in all. There were more questions on english language (more of oral english) and quantitative reasoning than there were on road signs. I do not know of any test that can accurately test people's potential for innovation and development, and I believe that there are tests that would pass for better tests than the one we wrote. But I do not believe that this was your initial contention. What I inferred from your earlier post was that quota should have been taken into account in arriving at decisions. That is what I am totally against. In issues regarding development, I am of the opinion that only those who merit positions should be awarded those positions. Who they are should be completely irrelevant and qualities like trust and patriotism should be preached. The procedure for determining merit is what should be debated. The fact that we made ourselves available for the test and that no one launched a formal complaint about the test after we had written it shows that we tacitly agreed to its being used as a selection criterion even though that agreement may have been inadvertent. Someone on this forum once said that merit should not be sacrificed on the altar of the quota system. I believe this statement is justified by reason and by conscience. If our unity is founded on trading merit for the quota system, then we got it wrong from the beginning.

On PTDF and its impact, I have to tell you that even if one may be unable to measure some form of impact, impact can be felt. I would like you to know that I have had experiences and have done a little informal research on the Nigerian petroleum industry as part of my undergraduate engineering internship project. I speak of the petroleum industry because it is the mainstay of our economy and would therefore provide a good perspective for examining this country. With the PTDF, its goals and its 39 years of existence, one would expect that the engineering aspects of the Nigerian petroleum industry would be largely taken care of by Nigerians. But the reality is that the expatriates have always been and are still the key players in the industry in terms of servicing, production and exploration. President Obasanjo instituted the Nigerian content policy which was aimed at having at least 70% of the operations in the industry to be carried by Nigerians by 2010; The act was signed by President Jonathan in 2010. But there is a scarcity of expertise among Nigerians in the core engineering aspects,as a result we still have less than 40%. From my experience, I can say that almost all the sensitive and critical aspects of engineering is done by expatriates. One can only be forced to ask: where are the PTDF beneficiaries? As for NITDA, although it has existed for 11 years, I must tell you that I heard about it for the first time on this forum. I really can't say if it has had any impact. Again on Oil companies, I would like to ask: What is the most incompetent Oil company in Nigeria? Ans: The federal character based NNPC. I stand to be corrected.

I plead with you to not take the tone of my writing as an affront on your person. I only wrote this way because I am very serious about what I was trying to pass across. On a friendlier note, Congratulations on being awarded the scholarship.

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by olusuccess2012: 11:44pm On Sep 29, 2012
I think I align with the fact that no southwesterner will come back with his or her phd to serve in yobe, bauchi or the north in general but the fact remains that for it to be merit based, 40% could be for the best over all candidates and the rest 60% for quota. It could also follow the way admission is done in Federal Universities. However, for this starting batch it could have been the best if the whole of 449 of us could be sponsored. Come to think of it some state don't even have candidates at all in the shortlisted list of 449 for the test in the first place. Imagine JAMB statistics in 2003. Over 60,000 students registered from osun state but just 218 students from Yobe. What is ur stake on this? The issue is let every region allow peace to reign supreme in this nation and let us continue to apply Ricardo's comparative advantage principle so that we could all benefit from the gains of one another through specialization, mass production and exchange. For instance, if not for Boko Haram nothing prevents me from serving our dear fatherland somewhere in Maiduguri. May God deliver us. Remember, if u want to satisfy everybody, you will end up not satisfying anybody cos u will eventually do nothing. ONE NIGERIA, HAPPY 52ND INDEPENDENCE ANNIVERSARY.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by GiantParrot(m): 11:51pm On Sep 29, 2012
Elcherino4:

@ Elcherino4, you made some statements about the NUC's actions regarding the PRESSID that I also believe casts aspersions on their claim on integrity. But I disagree with the point highlighted above. If 100 percent of the beneficiaries are from the southwest based on merit, then I dont see how that would be a problem if we all believed in patriotism. Except of course we do not believe we can ever be patriotic, then maybe we shouldn't even be together in the first place. Less importantly,I do not see how the fact that the southwest were the first to welcome western education means that a time would come when they alone will enjoy everything given that every other region has had access to western education since the seventies. Merit should instead encourage every other region to invest more in education. By the way, for those of you that might already be concluding that I am from the southwest because of my comments, I want you to know that I am actually from a non-oil producing part of the south-south.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 12:11am On Sep 30, 2012
GiantParrot:

Dear zzaacx, the PTDF scheme was instituted in 1973 (39 years ago) http://www.ptdf.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=54, and the NITDA was established in 2001 (11 years ago), I graduated 2010 (approx 2 years ago). The point of the facts listed above is to show to you that likening my expected impact to those of NITDA and PTDF is very faulty. And you must consider that I am just one person while these schemes ought to have provided many intelligent people with skills to better some aspects of this country.

On your reservations about the test, I am fairly in support. But from what I remember, the road signs questions were not up to ten and we had 100 questions in all. There were more questions on english language (more of oral english) and quantitative reasoning than there were on road signs. I do not know of any test that can accurately test people's potential for innovation and development, and I believe that there are tests that would pass for better tests than the one we wrote. But I do not believe that this was your initial contention. What I inferred from your earlier post was that quota should have been taken into account in arriving at decisions. That is what I am totally against. In issues regarding development, I am of the opinion that only those who merit positions should be awarded those positions. Who they are should be completely irrelevant and qualities like trust and patriotism should be preached. The procedure for determining merit is what should be debated. The fact that we made ourselves available for the test and that no one launched a formal complaint about the test after we had written it shows that we tacitly agreed to its being used as a selection criterion even though that agreement may have been inadvertent. Someone on this forum once said that merit should not be sacrificed on the altar of the quota system. I believe this statement is justified by reason and by conscience. If our unity is founded on trading merit for the quota system, then we got it wrong from the beginning.

On PTDF and its impact, I have to tell you that even if one may be unable to measure some form of impact, impact can be felt. I would like you to know that I have had experiences and have done a little informal research on the Nigerian petroleum industry as part of my undergraduate engineering internship project. I speak of the petroleum industry because it is the mainstay of our economy and would therefore provide a good perspective for examining this country. With the PTDF, its goals and its 39 years of existence, one would expect that the engineering aspects of the Nigerian petroleum industry would be largely taken care of by Nigerians. But the reality is that the expatriates have always been and are still the key players in the industry in terms of servicing, production and exploration. President Obasanjo instituted the Nigerian content policy which was aimed at having at least 70% of the operations in the industry to be carried by Nigerians by 2010; The act was signed by President Jonathan in 2010. But there is a scarcity of expertise among Nigerians in the core engineering aspects,as a result we still have less than 40%. From my experience, I can say that almost all the sensitive and critical aspects of engineering is done by expatriates. One can only be forced to ask: where are the PTDF beneficiaries? As for NITDA, although it has existed for 11 years, I must tell you that I heard about it for the first time on this forum. I really can't say if it has had any impact. Again on Oil companies, I would like to ask: What is the most incompetent Oil company in Nigeria? Ans: The federal character based NNPC. I stand corrected.

I plead with you to not take the tone of my writing as an affront on your person. I only wrote this way because I am very serious about what I was trying to pass across. On a friendlier note, Congratulations on being awarded the scholarship.

Although, I didn't know much about the facts that you put forward, but one thing I must say is that: this write up is evidence-based, and I like that (although I honestly can't verify all the facts), I shouldn't lie for love...lol... But I love this to the extent that, if I had no stand or was indifferent about this issue of merit, I would have been more convinced by this (but I actually have a stand, I support merit completely, which actually makes this easier for me to like). This was just so articulate, "on point" etc. I guess GiantParrot would make a good lawyer as well, that's on a lighter note.
I've said it before, Let me just re-emphasize it: Anybody that merit doesn't favour in a situation, still has a chance to work harder to have a good chance to be selected some other time, but in a quota based system, working harder to be better qualified does not improve one's chances, one would probably need to be BORN AGAIN! to another tribe, family, community, state etc. smiley

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 12:57am On Sep 30, 2012
I also want to say few things about a question earlier posted about: if any of the awardees would want to serve the country in Maiduguri. In my honest opinion I think that question is not too fair to Maiduguri as a place, because I believe security or insecurity is not a function of a place or region, and it is not so fair to label a place or region as permanently unsafe. What makes any patriotic Nigerian think that Maiduguri is a place that should be avoided forever? or a place that can't be the safest place in Nigeria in two years from now? I think patriotism (or maybe faith in Nigeria) should make Nigerians hope and wish that everywhere in Nigeria should be crisis-free. If it is about this "you are on your own" mentality, what makes you think it can't be the turn of your state tomorrow? Every human being naturally has the instinct to survive and avoid any perceived danger, if Maiduguri is unsafe, even a Maiduguri indigene may not like to work there while it's unsafe, same with if my own state or city or town is unsafe, I would also not like to work there under that condition, that doesn't mean I don't like my state and same for the Borno state indigene as well and this also applies to a non indigene too to an extent. Maiduguri was once peaceful and I believe it can be peaceful again, let us adopt a mentality of "we are all in this together" and stop tribalizing, politicizing, or regionalizing insecurity and hope that peace returns to all parts of Nigeria. MAIDUGURI CAN BE PEACEFUL AGAIN, WHY CAN'T ANY NIGERIAN WORK THERE THEN? I CAN.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by wizzle04: 1:07pm On Sep 30, 2012
PhatIon: I also want to say few things about a question earlier posted about: if any of the awardee would want to serve the country in Maiduguri. In my honest opinion I think that question is not too fair to Maiduguri as a place, because I believe security or insecurity is not a function of a place or region, and it is not so fair to label a place or region as permanently unsafe. What makes any patriotic Nigerian think that Maiduguri is a place that should be avoided forever? or a place that can't be the safest place in Nigeria in two years from now? I think patriotism (or maybe faith in Nigeria) should make Nigerians hope and wish that everywhere in Nigeria should be crisis-free. If it is about this "you are on your own" mentality, what makes you think it can't be the turn of your state tomorrow. Every human being naturally has the instinct to survive and avoid any perceived danger, if Maiduguri is unsafe, even a Maiduguri indigene may not like to work there while it's unsafe, same with if my own state or city or town is unsafe, I would also not like to work there under that condition, that doesn't mean I don't like my state and same for the Borno state indigene as well and this also applies to a non indigene too to an extent. Maiduguri was once peaceful and I believe it can be peaceful again, let us adopt a mentality of "we are all in this together" and stop tribalizing, politicizing, or regionalizing insecurity and hope that peace returns to all parts of Nigeria. MAIDUGURI CAN BE PEACEFUL AGAIN, WHY CAN'T ANY NIGERIAN WORK THERE THEN? I CAN.
Mr. PhatIon thanks 4 d observation. Pls dont get it wrong, It stated clearly "a troubled state lyk Maiduguri" any state could be in dat state at any time, It was not specific, it was lykend 2. Pls dont say what u cannot do. Nobody said maiduguri cannot be peaceful again. Can U go 2 a state with similar challenge to serve at ur return? Dat is d question. No hard feelings Man.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 1:22pm On Sep 30, 2012
wizzle04:
Mr. PhatIon thanks 4 d observation. Pls dont get it wrong, It stated clearly "a troubled state lyk Maiduguri" any state could be in dat state at any time, It was not specific, it was lykend 2. Pls dont say what u cannot do. Nobody said maiduguri cannot be peaceful again. Can U go 2 a state with similar challenge to serve at ur return? Dat is d question. No hard feelings Man.

...OK... Correction taken...
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Elcherino4: 7:16pm On Sep 30, 2012
GiantParrot:
Less importantly,I do not see how the fact that the southwest were the first to welcome western education means that a time would come when they alone will enjoy everything given that every other region has had access to western education since the seventies. Merit should instead encourage every other region to invest more in education.
Mr. GiantParrot, I strongly disagree with the point you stated above. If you say dat, den you should nt aspire 2 go abroad for further studies. This is because d black race have seen d whites as being far ahead. For how long have Africans strive to equal d white? We are still followin their foot steps. Yes you said others should invest more in education, den some should aslo invest in findin what they dont have, e.g oil. Yes d S/westherners are ahead in d area of education and you cant take dat away from dem. I hope u r aware that as odaz are tryin to catch up, the S/westherners are aware it is now a competition, they would also lyk to go further. What makes you think odaz can measure up with tym? Does that mean d S/west guys will fold their hands and wait for odaz? My broda it is not done dat way. No mata what d black man does today we are only folowin laid down principles by the whites. Most African countries still receive grants from d whites. I beliv u undastand me beta now.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by pinkboi: 3:26pm On Oct 01, 2012
congrats to all who made it. As i suspected, disagreements. Every man for himself o smiley. Anyways i think d process was fair, though d use of waec was uncalled for. Not fair to see 63 nt makin it n 62 makin it. I just pray d scheme continues for those who didnt mak it, better luck nextyear, mayb dey may use ur pume score..heehehe. Remeber...all man for himself o for get about all dis many talk...dats d deal people. I support watever favours me i dont pretend. Till nyear..ciao

2 Likes

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 01, 2012
lol @ pink boi u re so correct me i get 63 i no make d list some of my guyz wey get 62 make am lol! but wetin b ur food no go pass u !congrats to those shortlisted kai i wish say my name show oo! na me like abroad pass o!e don be o

1 Like

Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 8:10pm On Oct 01, 2012
...Ok... Before it is too late (to apologize)... In the spirit of Nigeria's Independence anniversary, I want to use this opportunity to tender an unreserved apology to anyone and everyone who I've offended knowingly or unknowingly by any of my comments, views, opinions etc. so far. Although, this is an anonymous forum, I believe in peace, and anonymity is not, and shouldn't be an excuse for me to act or behave otherwise. Once again, I'M SORRY.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by GiantParrot(m): 9:06pm On Oct 01, 2012
Hello forumites, if one's ultimate goal in postgraduate studies is getting a PhD, is a UK taught masters going to be helpful in actualizing that goal? I've been hearing stories about the importance of relevant research experience in obtaining PhD admissions and that US schools for instance do not consider taught masters degrees when evaluating applications for PhD degrees. Does anyone have any info on this? How about UK schools? do they accept taught masters degrees if one intends to go further for a PhD. Your responses will be very helpful. thanks.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 11:07pm On Oct 01, 2012
GiantParrot: Hello forumites, if one's ultimate goal in postgraduate studies is getting a PhD, is a UK taught masters going to be helpful in actualizing that goal? I've been hearing stories about the importance of relevant research experience in obtaining PhD admissions and that US schools for instance do not consider taught masters degrees when evaluating applications for PhD degrees. Does anyone have any info on this? How about UK schools? do they accept taught masters degrees if one intends to go further for a PhD. Your responses will be very helpful. thanks.

I contacted the graduate administrator of a UK university recently, and from the response I got, masters is not a prerequisite for PhD admission, what is most important is to find a potential supervisor who is willing to take you on as his/her PhD student, after contacting the supervisor with your CV attached and being able to convince, with overlapping research interest. But evidence of ability to do research in that area of interest (which I think a research masters-MPhil is enough to show or research work experience) can be an added advantage but not a prerequisite. I don't know much about US schools... "I no get GRE"...lol...
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by olusuccess2012: 12:33am On Oct 02, 2012
masperano: lol @ pink boi u re so correct me i get 63 i no make d list some of my guyz wey get 62 make am lol! but wetin b ur food no go pass u !congrats to those shortlisted kai i wish say my name show oo! na me like abroad pass o!e don be o

Masperano, u have a guy who is currently having his masters in Econs at UI. Glad to meet u here. Hopefully, next year will be more rewarding as the prog intends to sponsor 500 candidates. Afterall, it has already been taken care of in the budget. Ur guys number is 080680543xx or 080935552xx. All the best.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Nanaiky(f): 3:40am On Oct 02, 2012
@ phatlon and giantparrot, u guyz shd try imperial college london,most graduate programmes (sciences and engineering) are taught pg, and u do not need to get a course adviser or write IELTS/TOEFL, WAEC ENGLISH A1-C4 is sufficient. for enquiries: mail: admissions.enquiries@imperial.ac.uk (please state your course as offered by the institution). If u intend crossing to the US, MSC does not really count, will be given the same admission as a Bsc for Phd except that you have more experience in academics to backup ur application (still the same no of yrs), apned to a senior colleague...it all depends on u,UK; after masters,apply for phd,..US; apply to the phd prog directly,...ALL D BEST
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by zzaacx: 10:05am On Oct 02, 2012
this people no try... just seeing the guarantors form... finding it hard to get the documents self..
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by GiantParrot(m): 9:08pm On Oct 02, 2012
PhatIon:
I contacted the graduate administrator of a UK university recently, and from the response I got, masters is not a prerequisite for PhD admission, what is most important is to find a potential supervisor who is willing to take you on as his/her PhD student, after contacting the supervisor with your CV attached and being able to convince, with overlapping research interest. But evidence of ability to do research in that area of interest (which I think a research masters-MPhil is enough to show or research work experience) can be an added advantage but not a prerequisite. I don't know much about US schools... "I no get GRE"...lol...
Nanaiky: @ phatlon and giantparrot, u guyz shd try imperial college london,most graduate programmes (sciences and engineering) are taught pg, and u do not need to get a course adviser or write IELTS/TOEFL, WAEC ENGLISH A1-C4 is sufficient. for enquiries: mail: admissions.enquiries@imperial.ac.uk (please state your course as offered by the institution). If u intend crossing to the US, MSC does not really count, will be given the same admission as a Bsc for Phd except that you have more experience in academics to backup ur application (still the same no of yrs), apned to a senior colleague...it all depends on u,UK; after masters,apply for phd,..US; apply to the phd prog directly,...ALL D BEST

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm grateful.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by ijanarado: 9:10pm On Oct 08, 2012
So so great to see all of us life today. PeralAdams, phatIon, Silence, logbon, nanaiky etc. God bless us all
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by dualprince: 9:58pm On Oct 08, 2012
ijanarado: So so great to see all of us life today. PeralAdams, phatIon, Silence, logbon, nanaiky etc. God bless us all

@ijanarado Were u d lady who gave d speach 2day?
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by logbon72: 10:39pm On Oct 08, 2012
dualprince:

ijanarado: So so great to see all of us life today. PeralAdams, phatIon, Silence, logbon, nanaiky etc. God bless us all

yeah she is. It was nice seeing y'all. I'll share a document with bank sort codes with you guys soon.
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 11:20pm On Oct 08, 2012
YEAH! IT WAS GREAT,... AND I WAS SO INSPIRED BY YOUR SPEECH... THAT WAS SO COURAGEOUS, AND INTELLIGENT TOO... KEEP IT UP MA'AM... *in R.kelly's voice* usually, I don't say this, but I think I'm just gonna go ahead and say it: I LOVE YOU ALL grin smiley
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 11:33pm On Oct 08, 2012
logbon72:

yeah she is. It was nice seeing y'all. I'll share a document with bank sort codes with you guys soon.

I SAW YOU FROM A DISTANCE, BUT I WASN'T OPPORTUNE TO GREET YOU, ALTHOUGH I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO. I ADMIRE THE PERSONALITY THAT YOU EXPRESSED SO FAR, HERE ON NAIRALAND, SO MUCH. VERY RESPONSIBLE AND DECENT... KEEP IT UP SIR
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by PhatIon: 11:52pm On Oct 08, 2012
dualprince:

Mr DUALPRINCE: YOU'RE ALSO SOMEONE I ADMIRE SO MUCH FROM THE LITTLE INTERACTION HERE ON NAIRALAND, I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO IDENTIFY AND GREET YOU, BUT LIKE YOU KNOW, ACTIVITIES AND TIME DIDN'T PERMIT US ALL TO IDENTIFY OURSELVES... BUT MY CONSOLATION IS THAT, I BELIEVE I MUST HAVE SEEN YOU TODAY, AND YOU TOO, WOULD HAVE SEEN ME, WHETHER WE RECOGNIZED EACH OTHER OR NOT, SAME FOR ALL THE OTHER AWARDEES ...LOL... smiley
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by Nanaiky(f): 5:37am On Oct 09, 2012
Nice meeting u guyz @ last,...ok,nw,frm nairaland to facebook, who has joined the group or liked d page,i couldnt locate anything like pressid or is it yet 2 b formed?....anyone wif any idea
Re: Pressid Scholarship Aptitude Test Scores - First Class Graduates by logbon72: 6:25am On Oct 09, 2012
Nanaiky: Nice meeting u guyz @ last,...ok,nw,frm nairaland to facebook, who has joined the group or liked d page,i couldnt locate anything like pressid or is it yet 2 b formed?....anyone wif any idea

I have joined the group. @ijanarado, please make the group "closed" and not "secret". People can't search for it as it is.

@PhatIon yeah, I'd have loved to meet you, but we were in a hurry not to miss our flight.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (44) (Reply)

Direct Entry Admission 2015 / UNIOSUN Lecturer Sends Female Student Out Of Class For Indecent Dressing / Universities Pull Out Of ASUU Strike 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.