Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (24987 Views)

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech / Debunking The Over-rated Religious Tolerance Claim of SWners / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by adelujan: 2:37pm On Aug 25, 2012
Aderostock: Please, please and please! Afam4eva and Desola shld not bring rifts between my yoruba people cos it won't work. We are the most tolerants. Shikena

ur rite jawe
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by basher(m): 2:44pm On Aug 25, 2012
Alhaji Pastor :
WE JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THEM (YORUBA) I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY TRIBE THAT IS AS ACCOMODATING AS THE YORUBA, THESE ARE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT ARE SO CONTENTED WITH WHAT THEY HAVE, RELIGIOUS WISE; THEY ARE SO ACCOMODATING; I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY WHERE THE HUSBAND IS A MUSLIM AND THE WIFE IS A CHRISTIAN. I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY OF FOUR WHERE TWO ARE MUSLIM AND TWO ARE CHRISTIANS; AND THEY CO-EXIST PEACEFULLY. I BELIEVE IT REALLY HAS TO DO WITH THEIR CULTURAL VALUE. SOME OTHER TRIBES MAY TERM THEM AS BEING COWARD; BUT I TEND TO DISAGREE WITH THEM, YORUBAS ARE VERY BRAVE AND INTELLIGENT. AN AVERAGE YORUBA MAN WOULD ALLOW YOU TO POUR ABUSIVE WORD ON HIM AND LATER APOLOGIZE FOR THE SAKE OF PEACE. I MYSELF AM NOT A YORUBA MAN; BUT I'VE LIVED WITH THEM AND ALSO TASTED OTHER TRIBES IN NIGERIA, I GIVE IT TO THEM AND ANY DAY ANYTIME THEY EARN MY RESPECT.

I would like to see these qualities you've described displayed on the pages of NairaLand. Or are some of the Yorubas on NairaLand the wrong type of Yoruba?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 2:59pm On Aug 25, 2012
id-nole4:
Hegemony and Culture: Politics and Religious Change among the Yoruba. By David D. Laitin. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1986. Pp. xiii + 252.

In the constitutional debates that preceded the 1979 presidential constitution in Nigeria, “the issue that generated the most heat, however, both in the press and in the Constituent Assembly, concerned the role of the Federal Sharia Court of Appeal (FSCA) in the Second Republic”. Many of Nigeria’s Muslim saw the sharia court as a symbol of political freedom. “Yet these same courts were seen by many Nigerian Christian as the symbol of potential Muslim domination in Nigeria.”

With this sensitive divisive issue that has sent many nations to religious wars with great consequences, Nigeria leaders through the constituent assembly was able to preserve the hope of Nigerian democracy by settling the issue amicably, with compromise.

However, the religion divide is not the deepest cleavage throughout Nigerian society, “at the time of independence, each of Nigeria’s three regions was led by a major tribal group: in the north, the Hausas-Fulanis; in the east, the Igbos; and in the west, the Yorubas. Each of the regions had different interests, and national politics involve bargaining among the three majority tribes.” Nigeria division along the major tribal and religious lines after all do not do justice to the socio-cultural realities of the nation as many minor ethnic groups see this persisting dominance…

Political Analysis of the Sharia issue

...the Yoruba were moderate on the issue, “they were the least extreme on this issue”. p.9 “Moderates included both pro-FSCA members who acknowledged the difficulties involved yet supported the FSCA as the best companies and anti-FSCA members who emphasized the technical problems involved in the proposal but did not rule out some accommodation.” p.9 “Extremists took heavily ideological positions, sometimes threatening the oppositions”.

“…the Yoruba delegates created the ideological underpinning that permitted the Second Republic to become established without bipolar religious conflict.”

“…the Christian-Muslim divide in Yorubaland, far from fanning the flames of religious conflict in Nigeria, actually built the foundation for compromise. From the outside, this looks to be a case of unnatural toleration
.”

Very nice

I quoted that book in my first or second post but too busy to look for it online or type
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by yam: 3:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
Ndata: Ok we have heard! Yorubas are the most educated,the most sophisticated,most enterprising,the cleanest,Yorubas don't cheat,they don't rob,Yorubas don't do human ritual,Yorubas are the most hardworking,most accommodating,Yorubas don't commit crimes,i-n-c-e-s-t.Yorubas are the most religious tolerant of all the tribes in Nigeria.Can we close this thread.

if your fada owns the tread u can close it.

we are all talking as if we choose our tribe or religion before we were born.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2012
basher:

I would like to see these qualities you've described displayed on the pages of NairaLand. Or are some of the Yorubas on NairaLand the wrong type of Yoruba?

Tolerating religion and tolerating hate and other ibo anti social behaviors are two different things.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by 2rutalk1: 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2012
Yoruba koo, tolerance ni. Nonsense pple

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Desola(f): 4:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
mai gaskiya: i thank god that wit ds quote u kan se hw tolerable a yoruba man is.just an argument u hav beng rembrd ur root dat is 2say no matr ur contributn or ur duratn in a yoruba land a yoruba dude dnt considr u 2be a mere afiliate 2belev u hav a gud idea of dia cultrue.i belev ds quote shuld be directd 2d eye servicd yoruba man dat cals hmsf an ibo man.sekng a cheap atentin.4ur info ogbeni dm no dy gve award 4 nl o.anu mpam

I feel a headache coming on.

How far did you go in primary school before dropping out?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by joyprincess(f): 5:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
I think is the calabars cause calabar are caring,loving,anD kind people and accmodating what do you the me i think calabar's are the best
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by oladayo042: 5:45pm On Aug 25, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

I just couldn't help but disagree with you on this one, because the bible also talked about this. Even though I'm a

christian i can't help but bring this issue up because jesus also preached about jihad in

So its not just only islam that preaches about violence, christianity also did. The only difference is that there

aren't any psychos following this part of the bible. undecided

Christianity and Islam are so similar, I don't know why people don't see it. Me personally, I think that we serve the same God, but that's just me talking.
Ignorance of the highest order. Jesus was telling a parable, for crying out loud.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by tpia1: 6:04pm On Aug 25, 2012
mai gaskiya: i thank god that wit ds quote u kan se hw tolerable a yoruba man is.just an argument u hav beng rembrd ur root dat is 2say no matr ur contributn or ur duratn in a yoruba land a yoruba dude dnt considr u 2be a mere afiliate 2belev u hav a gud idea of dia cultrue.i belev ds quote shuld be directd 2d eye servicd yoruba man dat cals hmsf an ibo man.sekng a cheap atentin.4ur info ogbeni dm no dy gve award 4 nl o.anu mpam

so, you'd like us to believe you're hausa?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by basher(m): 7:12pm On Aug 25, 2012
Eko Ile:

Tolerating religion and tolerating hate and other ibo anti social behaviors are two different things.

Let me get this straight; Yorubas can tolerate anything except anti-social Igbo behavior? Is the tolerance discriminatory?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by basher(m): 7:14pm On Aug 25, 2012
joyprincess: I think is the calabars cause calabar are caring,loving,anD kind people and accmodating what do you the me i think calabar's are the best

Thanks for this contribution. Nigeria has other significant tribes please.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 7:43pm On Aug 25, 2012
basher:

Let me get this straight; Yorubas can tolerate anything except anti-social Igbo behavior? Is the tolerance discriminatory?

I know reading and comprehension is new and strange to you at this stage of your elementary development, but this topic is about Yoruba and religious tolerance, not Yoruba people tolerating anything including hate and other ibo anti social behaviors.

People can tolerate and accept your religion, but they don't have to tolerate or put up with your mean and bad ways.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by basher(m): 8:10pm On Aug 25, 2012
Eko Ile:

I know reading and comprehension is new and strange to you at this stage of your elementary development, but this topic is about Yoruba and religious tolerance, not Yoruba people tolerating anything including hate and other ibo anti social behaviors.

People can tolerate and accept your religion, but they don't have to tolerate or put up with your mean and bad ways.

My reading and comprehension might be elementary, but it is not too elementary to understand the following post (which I initially reacted to) was not restricted to religious tolerance -

"Alhaji Pastor :
WE JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THEM (YORUBA) I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY TRIBE THAT IS AS ACCOMODATING AS THE YORUBA, THESE ARE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT ARE SO CONTENTED WITH WHAT THEY HAVE, RELIGIOUS WISE; THEY ARE SO ACCOMODATING; I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY WHERE THE HUSBAND IS A MUSLIM AND THE WIFE IS A CHRISTIAN. I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY OF FOUR WHERE TWO ARE MUSLIM AND TWO ARE CHRISTIANS; AND THEY CO-EXIST PEACEFULLY. I BELIEVE IT REALLY HAS TO DO WITH THEIR CULTURAL VALUE. SOME OTHER TRIBES MAY TERM THEM AS BEING COWARD; BUT I TEND TO DISAGREE WITH THEM, YORUBAS ARE VERY BRAVE AND INTELLIGENT. AN AVERAGE YORUBA MAN WOULD ALLOW YOU TO POUR ABUSIVE WORD ON HIM AND LATER APOLOGIZE FOR THE SAKE OF PEACE. I MYSELF AM NOT A YORUBA MAN; BUT I'VE LIVED WITH THEM AND ALSO TASTED OTHER TRIBES IN NIGERIA, I GIVE IT TO THEM AND ANY DAY ANYTIME THEY EARN MY RESPECT."

Also, for someone who hates anti social behaviour, your statement "I know reading and comprehension is new and strange to you at this stage of your elementary development", beggars belief. Can't you make a point without being anti social?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Dede1(m): 8:32pm On Aug 25, 2012
Katsumoto:

Your ignorance knows no bounds and you stupidly exaggerate your ability to see in to the future.

Before the British took over Yorubaland with a series of treaties with various kings; there were Christians, Muslims, and Traditionalists. The first mosque in Yorubaland was built in Oyo in the 15th century to accommodate Muslim scholars and traders despite the fact that Oyo was into traditional forms of worship.

The rest of your post is just a compilation of bunkum and idiocy.

Why are you so witty on mambo jumbo styled historical facts? The British takeover of Yoruba land was due to thorough drubbing of Alaafin of Oyo and other Oba-in-hiding in Yoruba land. Are you insinuating British stood up treaties with Oba(s) in hiding? British might have signed a kindly gesture treaty but it was not for taking over Yoruba land which was accomplished before 1888. Kats believe me, you are full of jokes.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by naja2: 9:00pm On Aug 25, 2012
folahann: I've never thought of it at all. Just realised it's very true. There are uncoutable families in my hometown with Muslim father and christian mother.
I do have a huge galaxy of muslim friends too , I'm talking of very close friends here. Some of them even know the Bible more than I do.
I do like the southern muslims very much, they are violent-free and very calm.
What I observed though is that northern muslims in the south don't pray with a southern muslim leading the prayers. The northern ones gather themselves somewhere instead of going to a mosque.
i guess most northern muslims are very un educated, which makes it easy for indoctrination.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by naja2: 9:17pm On Aug 25, 2012
Charles.nerd:
@Topic,

That a man can switch from being a christian to muslim ,then traditionalist does not portray tolerance,rather it portrays a lack of conviction to stick to a particular set of beliefs or ethos.I have seen a yoruba dude who have switched from being from being muslim to christian and has invariably attended all variants of christian churches without any real difference in religiousity or real description of what he actually wants from the churches;I rather find such confusing and I tend to call him a religiously confused man. Your point exactly nerd? wouldnt u rather the world be filled we such religiously "unstable" people than your illitrate extremist. If every one in Nigeria was moderate in thier religious pursuit perhaps the country would ve been more peaceful and more progressive.

I think its something anthropologists should dig deeper to unearth the root cause of such anomalous cultural behaviour. Even the yoruba muslims are not as hardcore as the muslims of the core north as you can find them clubbing and having multiple girlfriends even when islam strictly forbids such and the christians among them are always easily swayed to join pentecostal churches hence the rising wave of pentecostalism especially in the southwest;little wonder the major pentecostal churches are lead by Yorubas.It could have something to do with being liberals,as yorubas are naturally are,unlike in the southeast where people are highly conservative ,hence the dominance of conservative churches (catholic and anglican) and inability of pentecostalism to make inroads.

On a flip side,this could represent cultural dynamism and portray the yoruba as a group of people who are amenable to change ,but it could also portray Yorubas as a people who lack real convictions and lend credence to the belief that a yoruba man should not be trusted for his words as he/she is always ready to switch sides,depending on which position favors him most.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by gfay: 9:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
Desola:

That you've lived all your life in Yorubaland and travelled extensively within it does not make you know didly squat! You might know a bit through research but you didn't live it as a Yoruba. There are some core values which are invested in us as Yorubas that you, no matter how much you rub shoulders with us or even marry into our tradition that can never be prof-erred upon you. Aside that, there is travelling and there is living it. You, have only lived your life as an ibo man in the west but not as a Yoruba man. The different is stark.

Desola; your yoruba and Afam is Ibo, I am yoruba but I lean towards Afam's disposition, Some ibo's know about the Yoruba origin than the Yoruba's themselves just cos your yoruba doesn't make you more knowledgeable, There's a political consensus that there are more muslims than christians in Nigeria as with population but we all know it's not true and I beg to differ that there are more muslim yoruba's than christians..
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 9:29pm On Aug 25, 2012
basher:

My reading and comprehension might be elementary, but it is not too elementary to understand the following post (which I initially reacted to) was not restricted to religious tolerance -

"Alhaji Pastor :
WE JUST HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THEM (YORUBA) I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANY TRIBE THAT IS AS ACCOMODATING AS THE YORUBA, THESE ARE GROUP OF PEOPLE THAT ARE SO CONTENTED WITH WHAT THEY HAVE, RELIGIOUS WISE; THEY ARE SO ACCOMODATING; I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY WHERE THE HUSBAND IS A MUSLIM AND THE WIFE IS A CHRISTIAN. I HAVE SEEN A FAMILY OF FOUR WHERE TWO ARE MUSLIM AND TWO ARE CHRISTIANS; AND THEY CO-EXIST PEACEFULLY. I BELIEVE IT REALLY HAS TO DO WITH THEIR CULTURAL VALUE. SOME OTHER TRIBES MAY TERM THEM AS BEING COWARD; BUT I TEND TO DISAGREE WITH THEM, YORUBAS ARE VERY BRAVE AND INTELLIGENT. AN AVERAGE YORUBA MAN WOULD ALLOW YOU TO POUR ABUSIVE WORD ON HIM AND LATER APOLOGIZE FOR THE SAKE OF PEACE. I MYSELF AM NOT A YORUBA MAN; BUT I'VE LIVED WITH THEM AND ALSO TASTED OTHER TRIBES IN NIGERIA, I GIVE IT TO THEM AND ANY DAY ANYTIME THEY EARN MY RESPECT."

Also, for someone who hates anti social behaviour, your statement "I know reading and comprehension is new and strange to you at this stage of your elementary development", beggars belief. Can't you make a point without being anti social?

Again, this is about religious tolerance, not about your stupid preoccupation and desire to troll as usual.

Leave thread if you don't have anything better to contribute, its not by force to troll.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Desola(f): 9:44pm On Aug 25, 2012
gfay:

Desola; your yoruba and Afam is Ibo, I am yoruba but I lean towards Afam's disposition, Some ibo's know about the Yoruba origin than the Yoruba's themselves just cos your yoruba doesn't make you more knowledgeable, There's a political consensus that there are more muslims than christians in Nigeria as with population but we all know it's not true and I beg to differ that there are more muslim yoruba's than christians..

You can differ all you like - it's your human right.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Aug 25, 2012
Looks like some future Tribalism Bait to me
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Aug 25, 2012
naja2: i guess most northern muslims are very un educated, which makes it easy for indoctrination.

Whoa!....Sprinkle in a Little Religious Bigotry with the Tribalism Talk.

Ok, looks like ill be following.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:58pm On Aug 25, 2012
Yorubas are no more tolerant than other Southern groups. There are historical factors responsible for the near equality of muslims and christians but it doesn't mean they're any more tolerant or accomodating than any other Southern group in Nigeria.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by BlackPikiN(m): 10:02pm On Aug 25, 2012
joyprincess: I think is the calabars cause calabar are caring,loving,anD kind people and accmodating what do you the me i think calabar's are the best

I can see you are very accommodating from your picture. Hope you can accommodate more.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by aryzgreat: 10:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
Obi1kenobi: Yorubas are no more tolerant than other Southern groups. There are historical factors responsible for the near equality of muslims and christians but it doesn't mean they're any more tolerant or accomodating than any other Southern group in Nigeria.

exactly my thought, left for me i will say igbos are more religious tolerance than any tribe in naija bc its only in igboland u have chistian:muslim ratio in the neighbourhood of 99.9:0.01 and yet we allow them to worship their allah without harrassing them which cannot be said of them in the mainly muslim core north where minority christians are hunted like game.

The yorubas have no option than to be tolerant bc muslim:christian ratio is almost equal, no religion among the 2 is majority
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by redsun(m): 10:25pm On Aug 25, 2012
Paul John: @Bittyend, get this right.
You're not from Osun, definitely you won't know much about "Osun Oshogbo". I'm not against any tradition that promote yoruba culture. But "Osun Oshogbo" has gotten to an extent where by people worship the river as their god. May be you try and get there this seasons festival, you'll see people from different countries(mostly: Brazil, US, Venezuela, central and Southern American countries) going to ask for children and other things. In short, they've turn the river to their god. But as for me, it's a NO. I won't take tradition in place of Christianity. This what we call freedom.

What freedom are you talking about,when you are still in boundage of believing in jesus?The only difference in your bondage is that you chose oyinbos way,instead of your people's way.

It is very dignifying to have a root that is original to you.Something you are in the position to reform and remodel,if you dont like the way it is practiced.

Religion is dynamic,it is shaped by people's understading,imaginations,thoughts,actions,deeds and circumstances.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 25, 2012
Aderostock:

Ur hairy brain will not allow u to think before u comment. Fashola's wife is a christain and during the millitary era, oyinlola (xtian) was an administrator of lagos state. No wonder u are called 'Ajekuta ma momi' u ate APU without drinking water made u to type this rubbish

grin grin grin grin laugh wan kill me ooooo
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Dede1(m): 10:39pm On Aug 25, 2012
Obi1kenobi: Yorubas are no more tolerant than other Southern groups. There are historical factors responsible for the near equality of muslims and christians but it doesn't mean they're any more tolerant or accomodating than any other Southern group in Nigeria.

It is unfortunate few respondents to the thread seemed have to forgotten certain aspect of historical factors responsible for the swell in number of Muslims among Yoruba.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by takedat(m): 10:57pm On Aug 25, 2012
it is only in yoruba land where you can visibly see freedom of worship and yorubas are damn too accommodating eg we have designated ajegunle to the south south folks,agege to hausas and festac and environs to igbos where they are commiting great havoc like robbery,kidnapping,rape,murder and all sorts.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 11:15pm On Aug 25, 2012
aryzgreat:

exactly my thought, left for me i will say igbos are more religious tolerance than any tribe in naija bc its only in igboland u have chistian:muslim ratio in the neighbourhood of 99.9:0.01 and yet we allow them to worship their allah without harrassing them which cannot be said of them in the mainly muslim core north where minority christians are hunted like game.

The yorubas have no option than to be tolerant bc muslim:christian ratio is almost equal, no religion among the 2 is majority

Ibo people are not known for what you are talking about. They don't even attache such observation to ibo people. When they talk about religious tolerance in Nigeria, it's always about Yoruba people.

This publication and observation is not first to say the same thing about Yoruba people and tolerance and it's not going to be the last.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 11:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
Another publication about religion and religious tolerance in Yorubaland.

The Yoruba Today

J.S. Eades

(Originally published by Cambridge University Press 1980, published on WWW with permission

Copyright (c) J.S. Eades)

Religion and society........

One of the most striking features of Yoruba religion is its tolerance of pluralism. This was already a feature of traditional religious organisation. The choice of cult group was left largely to the individual, and the following of a particular orisa cut across descent-group boundaries. Membership of the various denominations and sects of the world religions has been dealt with with the same tolerance. The rapid spread of Christianity and Islam means that young members of the same household often belong to different world religions, while the older people alone keep the traditional cults alive.

Nevertheless, Yoruba of all religions have much in common. There is a body of customary law which all groups follow in matters of marriage, succession and inheritance. In other ways, the world religions have themselves had to adapt to Yoruba social organisation, and this produces other similarities and a degree of ritual and institutional convergence in the world religions.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 11:27pm On Aug 25, 2012
Yoruba Religious Freedom Model For World Peace

Farouk Martins Aresa

faroukomartins@aim.com

The YORUBA of West Africa and Diaspora practice religious freedom to a fault remaining the most tolerant community of every religious belief in the world. It is always fun to study, admire and live the way Yoruba celebrate various religious events even those adverse to their well beings during the Slave Trade in the hands of their Arab Muslims or European Christian brothers. In contrast, Yoruba remind us that the same way a slave is born, so is a free child. The only community where a slave can aspire to be a king and a king can reduce himself to a slave. Though Africa remains the only Continent without its indigenous religion practiced freely and openly, Yoruba religious culture has not been so consumed.

The reason most Yoruba practice free religion can be seen in their children. These kids cannot wait for every religious holiday to contest with goat horns or on sticks, feast, dance, and put on Africanized masks in celebration. There are different masquerades and festivals that generate great interest amongst those that have been taken by other religions. They all celebrate at one another’s houses. In short, they party all weekend on streets. Children grow up with this accommodating religious culture and pass it on to their children. Religious freedom became a cultivated custom from an early age.

The advantage of this religious freedom is that Yoruba have been able to get along without holy war in the name of Crusade or Jihad. Instead of war, Yoruba make love and marry across religious lines. As much as the rest of the world is obsessed with religious superiority or inferiority complex, those type of feelings exist but at a minimum in Yoruba communities. Whenever they are away, they miss religious freedom taken for granted at home and are constrained within religious tolerance in other com[center][/center]munities.

http://www.gamji.com/article9000/NEWS9384.htm

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Kankara Schoolboy: Our Abductors Were Not Boko Haram (Video) / Wike Commissions Roads In Akwa Ibom, Flags Off Petro-Chemicals Factory, Hospital / Edwin Clark Asks Tinubu To Remove Abia, Imo, Ondo From NDDC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.