Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,483 members, 7,816,143 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (24991 Views)

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech / Debunking The Over-rated Religious Tolerance Claim of SWners / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by dayokanu(m): 6:43pm On Aug 24, 2012
Katsumoto
It depends on the part of Osun

Ede, iwo, Ososgbo(The Oyo speaking part of Osun are largely moslems while the Ijesha-Ife axis are largely xtians
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by dayokanu(m): 6:44pm On Aug 24, 2012
Hardly is there any yoruba family without the 3 religions

4 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 7:29pm On Aug 24, 2012
alex_101:

Trust me, I, like your elites in Yoruba land have seen the future of what will become of you people, when the dungeon called nigeria comes apart. If you have any brain, you would have known why the abokis keep reminding you of your place,,,,does the "one-mile corridor" ring any bell? Anyway, what becomes of Yoruba is not my f##king business, I'm only pointing out the remote flaws in this article to undiscerning folks out there.

The guy who hasn't found a solution to the problems in his region is seeking to educate others on their problems, which are of no concern to him.

Hmmmm, where have I heard this before

With regards to your comment about the one-mile corridor, you not only display your ignorance further but you also highlight how foolish you are.

An 8 year old will tell you that citizens of Nigeria in 1966, 1976, 1986, 1996, or 2006 did not require any special privileges to be able to move anywhere within the country.

5 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by joeyfire(m): 7:29pm On Aug 24, 2012
Definitely no 1. Yoruba culture to a large extent seems to swallow up other religions and cultures.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by sbeezy8: 11:02pm On Aug 24, 2012
[size=13pt]Tension in Ogun as Muslims, traditionalists clash[/size]

i actually laughed at that article: i dont believe its true nigerian journalist like to exaggeratefor more reads of course but if it is...

the leader of the oro cult's name is BELLO- which means his family is most likely muslim. while he chose to otherwise.

JOKE OF CENTURY is that dumb article ^^^/ majority of yorubaland is/was muslim if not 50/50, i know this and im a christian.

I HAVE NEVER MET A YORUBA FAMILY THAT IS ORIGINALLY 100% CHRISTIAN aside from repat ex slaves,bensons,williams,etc , infact most christian i know have a grandfather/mother or 1 parent that is originally muslim.but i have known families that are 100% muslim or atleast have been muslim before christianity came.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by maigaskiya1: 11:08pm On Aug 24, 2012
Wit ds tread i must comend ibo guy dat wrote it showng dat an ibo man is nt tribalistic.bt u kan neva se a yoruba man cm out nd admit a positive remark on d ibos.bt 2d topic i disagre a bit becos d ibos nd yorubas hav d same level of tolerance via religon.if u doubt me y is it dat d yoruba muslims in kwara refusd d buildng of a chuch rite oposite dia central mosque dy even went as far as atakng wokers at site.bt d man writng ds thread is telng u wer ibos alow d sitng of a mosrue sid by sid wit a chuch.abeg mak una no dy alow ds yaraba pepl head dy swel.unecesery credit

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by sbeezy8: 11:11pm On Aug 24, 2012
in ogun state i kno ive met more ijebus who are muslim and egbas who are christian.

depends on area of state
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by htajz: 11:19pm On Aug 24, 2012
dont even understand the message the writter is trying to send, apart from northern nigeria i dont know anyother part of nigeria where religious crisis happen, people marry from different denominations all accross the south , this seems like seeking for notice while unfortunatly making his own people look bad grin
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by sbeezy8: 11:23pm On Aug 24, 2012
htajz: dont even understand the message the writter is trying to send, apart from northern nigeria i dont know anyother part of nigeria where religious crisis happen, people marry from different denominations all accross the south , this seems like seeking for notice while unfortunatly making his own people look bad grin

agree ive seen muslims married to chrstian even the non yorubas and auchi edo
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by bashr8: 11:28pm On Aug 24, 2012
good for the yorubas , religious tolerance is important in life but the only thing i read from this thread is failure of some igbo parents especially those in lagos and abuja to raise their children properly , what a shameful write up.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Aug 24, 2012
Gbawe: This guy speaks the truth 100%. Nonetheless, I don't expect most of his Nairaland kinsmen to agree. Most are in the category of those indoctrinated , hardcore, to never think or say anything good about Yoruba people. They would rather spend 100% of their time lying to themselves and the entire world that the Yoruba people are the worst to exist when the truth on the ground makes a mockery of their daily lies. In fact, I expect many of them to attack this chap and call him ungracious name simply because he has made a truthful observation.

There are many things very admirable about Yoruba people and culture even if many ,in the cauldron of raw ethnic hate that Nairaland is, will never admit so.
i jst dnt undertand why ppl on nairaland are like this. Instead of commenting on the issue at hand,u incite a tribal war. This kind of comment cant come up into mind if nt for the hatred u hv developed into a subconscious level. Pls desist frm such. We are all humans with strength and weaknesses,created to live together in peace and love.

@op.
I really hvnt noticed this but if it true it shuld be encouraged and publicied more. If it were to be america, jst like obama's case,the whole world wuld hv celebrated it.

4 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 11:35pm On Aug 24, 2012
htajz: dont even understand the message the writter is trying to send, apart from northern nigeria i dont know anyother part of nigeria where religious crisis happen, people marry from different denominations all accross the south , this seems like seeking for notice while unfortunatly making his own people look bad grin

Clearly you miss the some factors leading to the conclusions drawn by the author.

To have religious tolerance, first you need to have more than one religion in a region. You have to discount the East because the non- Christian population is insignificant. If you look at other parts of the world you will observe one form of intolerance or the other. Whereas the Yoruba, regardless of what country you look at, are actually very tolerant.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by SisiKill1: 11:36pm On Aug 24, 2012
I can't believe this is even up for discussion. I mean isn't it a given that the Yorubas are more tolerant and not just in religion. They have a healthy respect for other people's culture too.

The Yorubas have a live and let live attitude about life and it is because they are so secure in who they are, there is no fear about the other person. . .culture, religion, tribe trying to ride over them. Unfortunately this is also their undoing because it makes them come off as wishy washy and "cultureless" to those who believe strongly that anything outside their tribe is subpar.

8 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by paris10: 11:41pm On Aug 24, 2012
Yorubas are tolerant religious-wise only because anything goes for them. They profess they are Christians but still visit the herbalist. The Muslim ones among them would tell you categorically that visiting herbalist or finding an alternate source of power is accepted by Allah.

The Yorubas are unstable in their faith and are confused as to who they serve or worship. Most of them would tell you that Allah is the same as God and that Muslims and Christians worship the same higher power. The white garment church-goers amongst them even speak in Arabic.

We all know that wearing a white wedding gown is a symbol of getting married to the Lord, a purity in heart and life, and in reverence to God (Christian-wise). But sadly, our Muslim Yoruba brothers and sisters have adopted the Christian way of wedding ooo. The bride now wears white wedding dress and even perform the ceremony in such manner.

Anything goes for the Yorubas.

4 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by DANILSA(m): 11:46pm On Aug 24, 2012
Personally I think the OP is right cus igbos Naturally hate islam and I have Never seen a real igbo man practising islam without a direct benefit eg money or promotion. That's why islam may never penetrate east but still at dat igbos are not violent towards muslims. On the contrary yorubas believe in freedom of worship, weather Islam, christian, illumnati or oduduwa na ur wahala, and I think education and culture has a lot to play cos an average yoruba can be logical,think and take decision while a hausa man will only do as told without thinking or been logical just like his cow.

4 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 11:47pm On Aug 24, 2012
paris10: Yorubas are tolerant religious-wise only because anything goes for them. They profess they are Christians but still visit the herbalist. The Muslim ones among them would tell you categorically that visiting herbalist or finding an alternate source of power is accepted by Allah.

The Yorubas are unstable in their faith and are confused as to who they serve or worship. Most of them would tell you that Allah is the same as God and that Muslims and Christians worship the same higher power. The white garment church-goers amongst them even speak in Arabic.

We all know that wearing a white wedding gown is a symbol of getting married to the Lord, a purity in heart and life, and in reverence to God (Christian-wise). But sadly, our Muslim Yoruba brothers and sisters have adopted the Christian way of wedding ooo. The bride now wears white wedding dress and even perform the ceremony in such manner.

1. How can you prove that the Christian God is not Allah?
2. Non- Yoruba Christians who speak Arabic must also be confused? Since only Muslims speak Arabic?
3. Can you point out where in the Bible it is mentioned that a Bride must wear white and that it symbolises getting married to the 'Lord'.
4. What is wrong in adopting practices that are not anti-thetic to your beliefs? Why is it wrong for Muslims to adopt a practice that is usually associated with xtians (your words nots mine)?

The only constant things in life are Death and Change. If change is not against your beliefs, then you should be ready to accept it. Try and get some education and enlightenment.

10 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by SisiKill1: 11:55pm On Aug 24, 2012
paris10: Yorubas are tolerant religious-wise only because anything goes for them. They profess they are Christians but still visit the herbalist. The Muslim ones among them would tell you categorically that visiting herbalist or finding an alternate source of power is accepted by Allah.

Thanks for punctuating my point.

That the Yorubas don't look down on other culture or carry on like they are the best thing since sliced bread does not mean they are unstable.

Again, one has to have a sense of security within themselves to be able to embrace others. To a Yoruba man. . .you a human being FIRST, your tribe and religion are just an extension of you. This why they can go celebrate with their Catholic friend, immediately after attending mosque or sit on the floor to have Tuwo for dinner with a Hausa person after having Akpu for lunch.

9 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by fortyfeet(m): 11:55pm On Aug 24, 2012
YES to some reasonable extent just because they don't know why they do what they do. you are a christian or a muslim, you don't have definition or purpose for it. but they are the worst in POLITICAL INTOLERANCE.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 25, 2012
Sisi_Kill: I can't believe this is even up for discussion. I mean isn't it a given that the Yorubas are more tolerant and not just in religion. They have a healthy respect for other people's culture too.

The Yorubas have a live and let live attitude about life and it is because they are so secure in who they are, there is no fear about the other person. . .culture, religion, tribe trying to ride over them. Unfortunately this is also their undoing because it makes them come off as wishy washy and "cultureless" to those who believe strongly that anything outside their tribe is subpar.

Thank you.

and Yorubas are the only people guilty of this? Amazing NL
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 12:00am On Aug 25, 2012
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 12:02am On Aug 25, 2012
bashr8: good for the yorubas , religious tolerance is important in life but the only thing i read from this thread is failure of some igbo parents especially those in lagos and abuja to raise their children properly , what a shameful write up.
how did they fail?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Olaone1: 12:02am On Aug 25, 2012
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by paris10: 12:05am On Aug 25, 2012
Katsumoto:

1. How can you prove that the Christian God is not Allah?
2. Non- Yoruba Christians who speak Arabic must also be confused? Since only Muslims speak Arabic?
3. Can you point out where in the Bible it is mentioned that a Bride must wear white and that it symbolises getting married to the 'Lord'.
4. What is wrong in adopting practices that are not anti-thetic to your beliefs? Why is it wrong for Muslims to adopt a practice that is usually associated with xtians (your words nots mine)?

The only constant things in life are Death and Change. If change is not against your beliefs, then you should be ready to accept it. Try and get some education and enlightenment.

The Bible God says "Thou shall not kill", the Quran Allah says " Kill any infidel who does not believe". Does 70 virgins sounds familiar to you? The Bible God says " Forgive those who trespass against you and do good to them who despise you". Quran Allah the opposite. There are thousands conflicting views which we don't need to go through.

Who is who then? Bible says this, Quran says the opposite. Religion....a too big a word!

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 12:07am On Aug 25, 2012
Must be my Yorubaness that makes me think all religion are crap.

I tolerate them equally grin

I heard that in Igboland, it's a taboo to be anything other than Christian. They IGNORANTLY believe that a uniformed religion breeds peace.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by bashr8: 12:07am On Aug 25, 2012
centje: how did they fail?
this is the second time am reading an article where a poorly brought up igbo child while trying to praise someone else for what ever reason makes a mockery of his own people. anyway this thread is about yoruba people so lets not derail it , am out.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 12:09am On Aug 25, 2012
^^^ lol @ your siggy. Where did you go before? Multiple IDs user grin
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 12:13am On Aug 25, 2012
bashr8: this is the second time am reading an article where a poorly brought up igbo child while trying to praise someone else for what ever reason makes a mockery of his own people. anyway this thread is about yoruba people so lets not derail it , am out.
i didnt see it as mockery. There r levels of Tolerance. Maybe that of yorubas are higher than igbos
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 12:13am On Aug 25, 2012
bashr8: this is the second time am reading an article where a poorly brought up igbo child while trying to praise someone else for what ever reason makes a mockery of his own people. anyway this thread is about yoruba people so lets not derail it , am out.

I am curious, if I say the Igbos are the most hardworking set of people in Nigeria and their entrepreneurial skills can be surpassed by none, does that make me a Yoruba that has not been brought up well? Just asking is all.

7 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by babaowo: 12:15am On Aug 25, 2012
Gbawe: This guy speaks the truth 100%. Nonetheless, I don't expect most of his Nairaland kinsmen to agree. Most are in the category of those indoctrinated , hardcore, to never think or say anything good about Yoruba people. They would rather spend 100% of their time lying to themselves and the entire world that the Yoruba people are the worst to exist when the truth on the ground makes a mockery of their daily lies. In fact, I expect many of them to attack this chap and call him ungracious name simply because he has made a truthful observation.

There are many things very admirable about Yoruba people and culture even if many ,in the cauldron of raw ethnic hate that Nairaland is, will never admit so.
na true
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 25, 2012

How many Yorubas go to the Herbalist? Do you follow them there? How you take know?

We have Yorubas who practice "New religions" and Yorubas who practice Native religion. Whod a fcukkz are you to determie which religion they should practice?

As if Igbos dont visit the herbalist. Have you forgotten that Igboland has more Okija shrine than Yorubaland?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Dignitary: 12:28am On Aug 25, 2012
Desola:

You've attempted this in the past, trying to put Yorubas at loggerheads as to which religion has the majority over the other but it didn't work.

The point with you migrants is that you visit one Yoruba state and conclude that you've seen it all. Lagos, as i've warned you long ago, is not the yardstick for religious representation. Reason being that we have a lot of you migrants there too who come from your enclaves to build churches due to the rights granted you by the Nigerian constitution. Go to other states within Yorubaland and carry out an emperical research and come back to relay your findings. My own assertion is based on origin and first hand experience. Yours is based on sight only.

Desola, I'm Yoruba tokantokan...u got ur assertion wrong. U cnt say any religion has the majority...U just cannot!!! There's no data to justify that.

Nevertheless, omo iya mi, we are too exposed to be discussing something like this. It's irrelevant, unnecessary and frivolous. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by lukkie(m): 12:30am On Aug 25, 2012
I think it goes without saying. Yorubas have the belief that the humanity that binds us together is stronger than the artificial barriers of religion, tribe etc which humans have created. Of course there will be occasional exceptions but as they say, exceptions prove the rule.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Zamfara: Full List Of PDP Candidates To Get INEC Certificates After Apc’s Loss / Fashola Tutors Anambra Political Appointees On Governance / I Would‘ve Fired Diezani If I Were President – Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.