Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,197 members, 7,811,516 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (24976 Views)

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech / Debunking The Over-rated Religious Tolerance Claim of SWners / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by topboyz(m): 7:03am On Aug 25, 2012
Nice topic..guy..its true.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Charlesnerd: 7:03am On Aug 25, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

Acceptance.

Isn't the 5th step. Good boy.

Ok, dummy, let me break down that tiny paragraph for you.

1. Two people of different religion marries
2. Their children later found their own religion.

People often stray from their parent's religion once they're able to find the religion that better suits them. The paragraph did not talk about one person switching to several religion in his lifetime as you ignorantly put in your previous post.

Dude,you would appear more intelligent if you don't talk,you have a dangerously low IQ and I clearly understand why people like you are clearly unemployable cos critical reasoning is highly beyond your grasp.Not even after I had highlited the salient portion for your comprehension,you still stupildly went ahead to type incoherent statements contradicting yourself and your earlier statements!.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 25, 2012
kunlekunle: in my home town,
there was a church situated on a street, 20 meters away from it, there was this mosque and almost opposite the church a shrine and by the shrine a joint.
there was never a clash.
something similar like that i once saw in jos among the yoruba community, for those that know the busy ahmadu bello way, where only a wall separate a church and mosque. I was told their father gave them the said land and they built church and mosque respectively.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by YorubaOmoge: 7:10am On Aug 25, 2012
Charles.nerd:

Dude,you would appear more intelligent if you don't talk,you have a dangerously low IQ and I clearly understand why people like you are clearly unemployable cos critical reasoning is highly beyond your grasp.Not even after I had highlited the salient portion for your comprehension,you still stupildly went ahead to type incoherent statements contradicting yourself and your earlier statements!.

you're really dumb.

Like so dumb.

Charles.nerd:
@Topic,

That a man can switch from being a christian to muslim ,then traditionalist does not portray tolerance,rather it portrays a lack of conviction to stick to a particular set of beliefs or ethos.

This is the garbage you originally posted, using a paragraph that stated different religions in one family.

Compare that with a typical Yoruba
family. A couple with six children could
have a family like this: the man is a
Muslim; the wife attends the Celestial
Church of Christ; the first child started
as a Muslim but converted to
Christianity and is now a member of a
Pentecostal church; the second child is
a devout Muslim; the third and fifth
children are members of the Methodist
or Baptist church; the fourth child
attends no church or mosque but
prefers the Yoruba gods whenever he
has any spiritual needs; and the last
child is an Anglican.

Which man switched from several religion? GTFOH jor.

Yoruba_Omoge:

Ok, dummy, let me break down that tiny paragraph for you.

1. Two people of different religion marries
2. Their children later found their own religion.

People often stray from their parent's religion once they're able to find the religion that better suits them. The paragraph did not talk about one person switching to several religion in his lifetime as you ignorantly put in your previous post.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by YorubaOmoge: 7:10am On Aug 25, 2012
Dumbazz.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Ayoobscom(m): 7:13am On Aug 25, 2012
Yes Yoruba is understandably the most tolerant

You will find every religion in every clan
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by YorubaOmoge: 7:15am On Aug 25, 2012
Even the yoruba muslims are not as hardcore as the muslims of the core north as you can find them clubbing and having multiple girlfriends even when islam strictly forbids

dummy even your "true" Northern Muslim alhajis tend to visit college campuses.

Lemme guess you're a christian right? Yet you're on a public forum making a judgement. Fake prophet sad
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Mekanze: 7:16am On Aug 25, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

There's no non-violent group of people in this face of earth. However, one group is more violent than the other wink
True talk my broda, but we are in Lagos we know hw some of them acts wen it comes 2 religion. An alfa wil of Yoruba wil neva neva allow his daughter 2 marry a Yoruba Christian man, so where is d torelant?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by YorubaOmoge: 7:16am On Aug 25, 2012
Mekanze: True talk my broda, but we are in Lagos we know hw some of them acts wen it comes 2 religion. An alfa wil of Yoruba wil neva neva allow his daughter 2 marry a Yoruba Christian man, so where is d torelant?

How can I talk true of something you fabricated in your mind?
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 25, 2012
afam4eva:
So, be cause of the Yoruba core values instilled in You, you now knoe the religious demographic of Yorubaland? Chineke onye ebere. I no fit laugh.
lol
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 25, 2012
Charles.nerd:

see monkey talking? Shattap, you bloody fool! Omo Igbo oloshi. u think you are intelligent? what have you invented lately besides coming to rant and flex muscle on Nairaland? You must be stu*pid.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by olavictors(m): 7:18am On Aug 25, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

I just couldn't help but disagree with you on this one, because the bible also talked about this. Even though I'm a

christian i can't help but bring this issue up because jesus also preached about jihad in

So its not just only islam that preaches about violence, christianity also did. The only difference is that there

aren't any psychos following this part of the bible. undecided

Christianity and Islam are so similar, I don't know why people don't see it. Me personally, I think that we serve the same God, but that's just me talking.

I won't say u are not a christian, because am not your judge, but pls start from verse 19 of that same luke 27, u will see that jesus was not talking of himself, but of a king. Its actually a parable, and the death there is eternal death in hell fire. Christianity, am strongly sure, never preached violence. We only have judaic warfare in the old testament, but jesus offered peace to the world in the new testament.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by yohannazack(m): 7:19am On Aug 25, 2012
Absolutely yes, period
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Walexz02(m): 7:22am On Aug 25, 2012
afam4eva:
You have a point there. But about Islam being the majority religion, i beg to disagree.
U may want to disagree...bt sure ISLAM has d majority.*****most xtrians converted.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by samkoro: 7:25am On Aug 25, 2012
Its called religious tolerance because moslems are not allowing christians to be governor in lagos state.Its more than 16 years now.The truth is that moslems are not tolerating christians .They are politicaly sidelining christians in all cabinets in yorubaland.That is what is called tolerance;because christians are the ones tolerating.

Nairaland does not tolerate christinity. They are always anti pastors ,anti churches ,anti christians and anti christ.Check the records of threads on the front pages and you will confirm this.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by VoodooDoll(m): 7:31am On Aug 25, 2012
In my limited opinion, Yoruba culture is communal, with an emphasis on social harmony.

Individual rights are respected but the communal goal of harmony and progress supersedes those rights. This is both good and bad.

Good because communal harmony stops one group from dominating another, bad because if the goals are incorrectly set then there will be challenges.

In Yoruba towns, historically, compounds were concentric with the most vulnerable (women, children, elderly and handicapped) in the centre. The vulnerable ones in the centre may not even be related.

The tolerance means that if an individual is a raging fundamentalist (Christian, Moslem, Ifa or other), he/she will find himself/herself isolated or cautioned with continual reminders from elders, siblings and peer group that
communal harmony must not be disrupted. Disruption will see the individual isolated/ex-communicated until a reconciliation is effected.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Charlesnerd: 7:35am On Aug 25, 2012
Yoruba_Omoge:

dummy even your "true" Northern Muslim alhajis tend to visit college campuses.

Lemme guess you're a christian right? Yet you're on a public forum making a judgement. Fake prophet sad

Are you so dumb that you always go out of context?.When did "hardcore" become a substitute for "true"?.And what do you understand by "judgemental"?.FYI,these are rhetoric questions and I do not expect any dumb answers that would further expose your inability to read and comprehend.

engineerd:

see monkey talking ? Shattap, you
bloody fool! Omo Igbo oloshi. u think you
are intelligent? what have you invented
lately besides coming to rant and flex
muscle on Nairaland? You must be
stu*pid.

See another product of Yaba left -smiley
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Aderostock(m): 7:37am On Aug 25, 2012
samkoro: Its called religious tolerance because moslems are not allowing christians to be governor in lagos state.Its more than 16 years now.The truth is that moslems are not tolerating christians .They are politicaly sidelining christians in all cabinets in yorubaland.That is what is called tolerance;because christians are the ones tolerating.

Nairaland does not tolerate christinity. They are always anti pastors ,anti churches ,anti christians and anti christ.Check the records of threads on the front pages and you will confirm this.

Ur hairy brain will not allow u to think before u comment. Fashola's wife is a christain and during the millitary era, oyinlola (xtian) was an administrator of lagos state. No wonder u are called 'Ajekuta ma momi' u ate APU without drinking water made u to type this rubbish

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by YorubaOmoge: 7:39am On Aug 25, 2012
Charles.nerd:

Are you so dumb that you always go out of context?.When did "hardcore" become a substitute for "true"?.And what do you understand by "judgemental"?.FYI,these are rhetoric questions and I do not expect any dumb answers that would further expose your inability to read and comprehend.

See another product of Yaba left -smiley

Yea, okay let's switch the subject to what's hardcore and what is true, from your original rants. Same guy who uses a 1inch toothpick to measure his IQ.

Dumbazz.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Lanspower(m): 7:40am On Aug 25, 2012
@poster, you are somewhat correct. The Yorubas are so tolerant of various religious practices that hardly will you find a Yoruba family without a mix of religions especially Islam and Christianity in the Yoruba race. In primary schools in those days all students were exposed to both the teachings of Islam and Christianity that's why many Muslim pupils can say The Lord's prayer ( Baba wa ti n be lorun) offhand and Christians can recite Suratul Fathia (the first chapter in the Qur'an). Very many Muslims take their children to see Father Christmas during Xmas and Christians are always happy during Eid-Adhan called the big Salah.
Coming down to traditional religious practice, I know a brother called Luqman (a Muslim name) who used to be the Olobo Masquerade in Agugu Area Ibadan and I vividly remember Akin Obebe a Christian who used to be a masquerade too. All Yoruba Masquerades draw their followership from both Muslim and Christian populace.
The few religious disturbances we read in the newspapers from the South West in the recent time are attributable to the rot in our societal settings whereby certain set of misguided Muslims, Christians and Traditional believers deliberately create tensions in a blatant display of their arrogance. Nowadays we have masquerades who are high on marijuana and cause disturbances and thus invite reprisal attacks from religious fanatics of faulty Islamic and Christian orientation. On the average however, religious tolerance is much more visible and feasible in Yorubaland than in every other parts of Nigeria( I dont know about the whole word sorry!)

8 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Wiseoldman: 7:46am On Aug 25, 2012
Well young man...in my old age, I've seen an alpha's daughter marry a christian in agege area of lagos (I've also heard of others), a young friend of mine is about to marry the daughter of a strong muslim cleric in ijebu, though the father was a little hesitant ab initio. I believe parents generally allow their children to make most choices in the yoruba culture, all we parents do is to guide them, thus the yoruba saying "oluwa ni wo omo" I.e "Its actually God that brings up a child"

And I believe this is true as I have seen the child of a yoruba imam in my area in Lagos turn out unexpected (smoking weed, and behaving irrational), also the son of an igbo pastor (a penticostal church exacly beside my house) turn out to be a weed junky...so its true that its God that actually brings up a child, parents only guide.

Mekanze: True talk my broda, but we are in Lagos we know hw some of them acts wen it comes 2 religion. An alfa wil of Yoruba wil neva neva allow his daughter 2 marry a Yoruba Christian man, so where is d torelant?

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Charlesnerd: 7:47am On Aug 25, 2012
VoodooDoll: In my limited opinion, Yoruba culture is communal, with an emphasis on social harmony.

Individual rights are respected but the communal goal of harmony and progress supersedes those rights. This is both good and bad.

Good because communal harmony stops one group from dominating another, bad because if the goals are incorrectly set then there will be challenges.

In Yoruba towns, historically, compounds were concentric with the most vulnerable (women, children, elderly and handicapped) in the centre. The vulnerable ones in the centre may not even be related.

The tolerance means that if an individual is a raging fundamentalist (Christian, Moslem, Ifa or other), he/she will find himself/herself isolated or cautioned with continual reminders from elders, siblings and peer group that
communal harmony must not be disrupted. Disruption will see the individual isolated/ex-communicated until a reconciliation is effected.

At least someone has made a reasonable dispassionate cultural analysis ,not some dumb hotheaded fellows who think the only way to defend a position is to spew bollocks.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by aromirejts: 7:51am On Aug 25, 2012
@ Desola. What is ur problem with afam assertion. Kindly post yours instead of spoiling another person's work. Plz post ur own researchable work ok
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by rightlagos: 7:59am On Aug 25, 2012
Though I'm a Yoruba guy, specifically Lagosian, I didn't notice this religious tolerance until my Zimbabwean room mate in Ghana told me that he discovered in his research about religions & races that Yorubas are among d most tolerant in d world. Even my Liberian & Sierraleonean school mates testified to this cos they have a significant population of Yoruba in their countries. I am from a strong Muslim background, but 2 of my cousins married xtians. We attended their weddings & naming without any reserv

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by takedat(m): 8:03am On Aug 25, 2012
samkoro: Its called religious tolerance because moslems are not allowing christians to be governor in lagos state.Its more than 16 years now.The truth is that moslems are not tolerating christians .They are politicaly sidelining christians in all cabinets in yorubaland.That is what is called tolerance;because christians are the ones tolerating.

ignorance is bliss,may i remind you that the former governors of oyo,osun,ekiti,ondo and ogun(akala,oyinlola,oni,agagu and daniel) are xtians.instead of appreciating the yorubas for being tolerant and accommodating, you are here trying to sow sediton.mind you, fashola,amosun,ajimobi and mimiko are all muslims with xtian wives.aregbesola has a xtian brother and they are very close.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by sample042(m): 8:10am On Aug 25, 2012
@Johnie, dats a nice composition. Kudos!

...Dis THREAD shld be deeply considered, it has a lot of peaceful impacts. Meanwhl, religion is a great threat 2 human existence.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by paris10: 8:15am On Aug 25, 2012
Tolaaaaannni:

I just couldn't help but disagree with you on this one, because the bible also talked about this. Even though I'm a

christian i can't help but bring this issue up because jesus also preached about jihad in

So its not just only islam that preaches about violence, christianity also did. The only difference is that there

aren't any psychos following this part of the bible. undecided

Christianity and Islam are so similar, I don't know why people don't see it. Me personally, I think that we serve the same God, but that's just me talking.

You're a malamu for saying Jesus preached about jihad. What is jihad in the first place. What has light got to do with darkness? Jesus never preached about violence. Your Malams and Alfa always comes up with verses of Biblical scriptures which they have no idea of what it says and conjour it for almajiris (don't know if you're one of them).

Once again, Islam is a far cry from Christianity. Those Christians that says both faith are similar are fools and ignorant and should be ashamed of being a Christian. We have to live at peace with everyone but a religion which preaches violence and intolerance is vying for destruction.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by azyaq(m): 8:22am On Aug 25, 2012
When it comes to religion, are the Yoruba people of Nigeria the most tolerant race in the whole world? It may not be wise to say yes because of the absence of any endorsement of such a position by a global body like the United Nations. But having travelled to many parts of Nigeria and some parts of the world; having read books about several peoples of the world, I can comfortably say that I have not seen or heard of any country or people that tolerate one another on the issue of religion like the Yoruba of Nigeria. grin grin grin We d Yoruba are d most tolerance people in d the world coz nobody won die
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by KDULAR: 8:25am On Aug 25, 2012
Katsumoto: Desola and Afam4eva

It is difficult to ascertain which religion the Yoruba follow more but I would hazard a guess and say that there are more Muslims and Christians and both probably have equal numbers.

States like Oyo, Kwara have huge muslim populations; Ondo, Ekiti, Osun have more Xtians while Lagos and Ogun have mixed numbers with Muslims edging Lagos and Xtians edging in Ogun.

This is just my opinion; it isn't based on any data or source.

I quite agree with you on this , there is no dominanting number of adherants of a single foreign religion in Yoruba land , it depends on where you find yourself like the Ijebus, we have a good number of christians in the Ijebu Igbo and Northern and eastern axis while there are more of muslims in the western axis( Remo though claiming non Ijebus now) mixed in the south ie Epe (mainly Muslims) Ikorodu and Lekki/Ibeju . There seem to be an integration ( LIKE VIRUS) of the Yoruba morality beliefs and lifestyles ( which in most cases is predicated on communal and individual respect for others ) into these religion as is obvious in the Cherubhim and Seraphim , Aladura and African Churches which had in fact influenced a whole lot of mode of worship and services of many Christian denominations outside these fore mentioned Churches. This could well be the reason for such tolerance. Although, there had been some previous taunts from all sides
I MUST HOWEVER STATE CLEARLY THAT THIS TOLERANCE THING IS WANNING FASTER AND THERE IS NEED FOR A POSITIVE CULTURAL REBIRTH AND RENAISSANCE IN THE ENTIRE YORUBALAND.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by DrSadikMagaji(m): 8:31am On Aug 25, 2012
asha 80: can you help me explain the other articles the op johnie posted?
yoruba ppl prefer a chrsitian yoruba man to any oda muslim guy frm oda tribe!!! Dats it
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by yohannazack(m): 8:31am On Aug 25, 2012
The major problem i have wit muslims is their installed mentality that they alwayz exhibit, either they say they are majority, first, right religion or they own the country. And i cant see anythin that the religion has done to bring development in nigeria. All the gud thins we enjoy today in this country, is as a result of christianity, and anybody is free to debunk me. I therefore want to state here that, the yoruba people have tried and i honor/respect them for that. And that any time there is religious crisis in yoruba area, the yoruba muslims are most likely to stir it up. But my piece of advise to yorubas and all nigerians is, lets stop bein myopic in our reasonin so as to dispell this beliv that only my religion is god's own, my religion is supreme, my religion is the best, my religion is majority, my religion founded nigeria. But to see nigeria and nigerians as one entity. Let us think about wat to do to develop our dear country and not wat to do to dominate and relegate others to the valueless background. Let us see our various religions as ways individuals choose to talk to the creator and we must live by tenets and detects of these religions and not to impose it on anybody. Cause an attempt to look down on the other person's religion, wil definitely spring up issues. FO NOW, KUDOS TO THE YORUBAS!

3 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Navalsadiq(m): 8:33am On Aug 25, 2012
WE ARE ALL AWARE OF THE FACT THAT THE YORUBA'S ARE HYPOCRITES IN NATURE.BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE ISSUE OF RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE WE MUST GIVE THEM THE CREDIT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Reacts To Assassination Attempt On Ekweremadu / Senate Gives Buhari 5 Days To Submit Names Of Ministerial Nominees / Tinubu Support Group Tackles Yahaya Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.