Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,495 members, 7,816,180 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (24992 Views)

Reno Omokri: Senate Should Learn From Jonathan's Tolerance To Freedom Of Speech / Debunking The Over-rated Religious Tolerance Claim of SWners / Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Aderostock(m): 3:02pm On Aug 24, 2012

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Gbawe: 3:04pm On Aug 24, 2012
afam4eva: I don't think so. I just feel that they have no choice to tolerate one another because the population of Christians and Muslims are sort of like 50-50. It could have been a different case if one religion was a majority and the other minority just like it is in Northern Nigeria.

You do this all the time and all folks can see is an inability to give credit where due and move on. Doing so takes nothing away from you as we all have our strengths and positive idiosyncrasies. A secure person will understand that and not come out with retrofit excuses as you do above. For example, it is perhaps only a bad belle Yoruba person that would make silly excuses rather than accept that the Igbos are an Industrious people.

The Yorubas did not start with Christianity or Islam. In fact, the point is that they simply embraced religions that approached them without allowing it to be polarizing factors. No one seeks to dominate others or enforce their religious practices on them. It is the tolerance ,nuanced in Yoruba culture, that enables the religious harmony and not your ungracious excuse that the Yorubas had no choice but to be tolerant.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Afam4eva(m): 3:06pm On Aug 24, 2012
Gbawe:

You do this all the time and all folks can see is an inability to give credit where due and move on. Doing so takes nothing away from you as we all have our strengths and positive idiosyncrasies. A secure person will understand that and not come out with retrofit excuses as you do above. For example, it is perhaps only a bad belle Yoruba person that would make silly excuses rather than accept that the Igbos are an Industrious people.

The Yorubas did not start with Christianity or Islam. They simply embraced religions that approached them without allowing it to be polarizing factors. No one seeks to dominate others or enforce their religious practices on them. It is the tolerance that enables the religious harmony and not your ungracious excuse that the Yorubas had no choice but to be tolerant.

I'm not taking anything away from Yorubas. I think they're very liberal and i even created a topic on it sometime back. But i'm just trying to seek possible answers to why the Yorubas are liberal and not the hausa. Many factors come to play. I seek to address some of them later. That still doesn't take anything away from Yorubas. They're very tolerant.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 3:16pm On Aug 24, 2012
^^^^ Demographics has nothing to do with religious tolerance. Religious tolerance comes from cultural mindset, orientation and way of life. Use your brain and quit acting like an a..s..ss sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Aug 24, 2012
Eko Ile: ^^^^ Demographics has nothing to do with religious tolerance. Religious tolerance comes from cultural mindset, orientation and way of life. Use your brain and quit acting like an a..s..ss sometimes.
Quit being silly and then maybe people will engage you in arguments. Sorry i can't address the points you raised.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 3:28pm On Aug 24, 2012
afam4eva:
Quit being silly and then maybe people will engage you in arguments. Sorry i can't address the points you raised.

Everything about you is silly and ignorant. You don't even have to address any point since your track record in this thread means you are trolling as usual. Besides, I don't need your regurgitated nonsense about demographics.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 3:30pm On Aug 24, 2012
asha 80: can you help me explain the other articles the op johnie posted?

Lets put things into perspective. There were a few minor altercations in which no lives were lost; juxtapose that with the fact the Yoruba practice Anglicanism, Catholicism, Islam, traditional religion, Candoble, Santeria in Western Nigeria, Benin, Togo, Cuba, Brazil, the US, UK, etc.

Permit me to re-post my post from another thread.

To be able to answer your question, permit me to give a short insight into Yoruba philosophy and cosmology. Many cultures believe/believed in the concept that reality has two parts (male and female, good and evil, etc). The ancient Greeks and Romans were believers of this principle as were many other empires. But religions such as Christianity and Islam gradually replaced or amended this belief. There are still many cultures/religions that follow this belief system but their interpretations are different. These interpretations believe that the two can be interdependent, mutually independent, complimentary (Hinduism) or antagonistic (Gnostic Christians, Zoroastrianism).

Zoroastrianism is similar to Yoruba in that both believe in the concept of good and bad but differ in that the Yoruba believe that good and evil exist for the common good of the universe while Zoroastrianism believes that good and bad are in an eternal fight. This is why the Yoruba say "Buburu ati fere ni o nrin po ("Bad and good things work together" amongst many other sayings. On the good side, you have the orishas and on the bad side, you have death, curse, sickness, etc

Behind this belief system, the Yoruba are able to accept, assimilate and modify any religion. This is why there isn’t too much of a difference between a Yoruba Muslim, Yoruba Methodist, Yoruba Catholic, Yoruba Anglican. These similarities breed tolerance. This is also why You have Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims, and Yoruba traditionalists living in harmony in places such as Nigeria, Benin Republic, Cuba, and Brazil.

In an era when most were fighting religious wars such as the European thirty years war, the Ottomans conquest of the Middle East, Dan Fodio’s conquest of the Hausa states, the Yoruba were fighting several wars amongst themselves and with their neighbours such as the Dahomians and Asante but none was a war based on religion or religious differences. So while you may find it difficult to separate religion and culture in many places, the Yoruba have through the ages not only been able to accept and assimilate many religions but have also managed to make Yoruba philosophy and belief system higher than any religion. Hence you have Orisha worshippers who have never set foot in Yoruba land in Brazil, Cuba, and other American countries, Catholitism modified to Santeria in Cuba and Candomble in Brazil.

When they do fight, its never religious. When Afonja attempted to sack Oyo, he used Muslims and traditionalists alike. Solagberu (A muslim) partnered with traditionalists to sack Ikoyi. The last Yoruba civil war (Kiriji) had Xtians, Muslims, traditionalists all fighting on the same side against other Xtians, Muslims, and traditionalists.

Sources

Hegemony and culture: politics and religious change among the Yoruba by David Laitin
Eliade, Mircea. 1969. The Quest: History and Meaning in Religion
Abimbola, Wande. 1971. "The Yoruba Concept of Human Personality

4 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Afam4eva(m): 3:30pm On Aug 24, 2012
Eko Ile:

Everything about you is silly and ignorant. You don't even have to address any point since your track record in this thread means you are trolling as usual. Besides, I don't need your regurgitated nonsense about demographics.
I was just trying to teach you what you couldn't learn from your parents obviously. I'm sorry to hit a nerve. Continue trolling as usual.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 3:35pm On Aug 24, 2012
Desola and Afam4eva

It is difficult to ascertain which religion the Yoruba follow more but I would hazard a guess and say that there are more Muslims and Christians and both probably have equal numbers.

States like Oyo, Kwara have huge muslim populations; Ondo, Ekiti, Osun have more Xtians while Lagos and Ogun have mixed numbers with Muslims edging Lagos and Xtians edging in Ogun.

This is just my opinion; it isn't based on any data or source.

4 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by PaulJohn1: 3:35pm On Aug 24, 2012
Desola:

You've attempted this in the past, trying to put Yorubas at loggerheads as to which religion has the majority over the other but it didn't work.

The point with you migrants is that you visit one Yoruba state and conclude that you've seen it all. Lagos, as i've warned you long ago, is not the yardstick for religious representation. Reason being that we have a lot of you migrants there too who come from your enclaves to build churches due to the rights granted you by the Nigerian constitution. Go to other states within Yorubaland and carry out an emperical research and come back to relay your findings. My own assertion is based on origin and first hand experience. Yours is based on sight only.

@Desola, I think you're wrong about this. It's like it's only Lagos and Kwara you have imbalance between the Christian and Muslin population. My state(Osun State) is like 50/50, and I think it's the same as Ekiti, Ondo and the rest. Ilesha for example where the present governor(Aregbe) came from, has a larger percentage of Christian, but the governor is a muslim. Should we say because of this the Muslims are more than Christians? It's a no. Also Ife which is like the origin of Yoruba has enough traditionalist and Iwo aswell has more Muslims than Christians. I think you should be to other Yoruba states before you pass you judgment. Nothing personal, peace cool

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 3:39pm On Aug 24, 2012
afam4eva:
I was just trying to teach you what you couldn't learn from your parents obviously. I'm sorry to hit a nerve. Continue trolling as usual.

Obviosuly, your parents were too ignorant to pass down to you basic knowledge about anything important to humanity hence your usual gross display of ignorance stupidity.
You save your crap and teach your kids and future generations your ignorance about religion and demographis. Dumb a....ss.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Afam4eva(m): 3:42pm On Aug 24, 2012
Eko Ile:

Obviosuly, your parents were too ignorant to pass down to you basic knowledge about anything important to humanity hence your usual gross display of ignorance stupidity.
You save your crap and teach your kids and future generations your ignorance about religion and demographis. Dumb a....ss.

sorry, you hear..
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by PaulJohn1: 3:43pm On Aug 24, 2012
Osun festival is near, you'll see how Aregbe would spend enough on that ceremony, but he's a muslim. The former governor who was a Christian even did more than this during his own time. Aregbe that people are shouting of, about him Islamizing Osun state has entered churches that I don't know aw many time. Same with Oyinlola the former governor entered mosque when he was the governor.
But I'm not in support of that Osun Oshogbo festival undecided

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 3:59pm On Aug 24, 2012
Dede1:

What an arrant nonsense. Some dingbats such as the author of the above post who were bred in Lagos should keep their wealth of ignorance in their pockets.

Once again, other than showing your displeasure for an article, you failed to articulate the reasons for your displeasure. We know you are upset but we don't know why. Not that we care that you are upset, we would prefer to see an intelligent response from you.

15 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by bittyend(m): 4:02pm On Aug 24, 2012
Paul John: Osun festival is near, you'll see how Aregbe would spend enough on the that ceremony, but he's a muslim. The former governor who was a Christian even did more than this during his own time. Aregbe that people are shouting of, about him Islamizing Osun state has entered churches that I don't know aw many time. Same with Oyinlola the former governor entered mosque when he was the governor.
But I'm not in support of that Osun Oshogbo festival undecided

But you support the paganism in Christianity - and changed your name to; Paul John, no? Are you sure you're Yoruba, or just another impostor? Yoruba tradition is here to stay, if you don't like it - move to Israel. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by PaulJohn1: 4:04pm On Aug 24, 2012
GOD bless eyin Omo ODUDUA cool
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by scorpa: 4:08pm On Aug 24, 2012
I was born into a moslem family and grew up in CAC. After so many research, today, I would like to be an Ifa priest like my grandpa. My parents are in support of my decision. My dad remain a moslem, mum a christian and one of my sisters an atheist. Nobody really cares about your religion.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by PaulJohn1: 4:10pm On Aug 24, 2012
bittyend:

But you support the paganism in Christianity - and changed your name to; Paul John, no? Are you sure you're Yoruba, or just another impostor? Yoruba tradition is here to stay, if you don't like it - move to Israel. undecided

@Bittyend, who else is yoruba, when a person from Osun state is not yoruba? grin grin 100 percent yoruba man.
Because I said I'm not in support of the traditional festival doesn't mean I have a problem with them. Okay?
And about the name, my last name is OLUWASEYI
Peace my bro cool

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 4:11pm On Aug 24, 2012
[b][/b]

Remembering his Methodist roots, Fashola who attended Birch Freeman High School (a school owned by the Methodist Church, Nigeria) said his father is an ex-student of Methodist Boys High School while his mother attended Olowogbowo Methodist Primary School in Lagos.

”I am very proud of the contributions of Methodist Church, Nigeria, to my life, especially through their schools which my parents and I attended at various times and I must confess that the lessons I learnt have impacted greatly on me. The values and morals I picked up have overbearing influence on my character and person, which is a clear testimony of what the Church stands for.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 4:20pm On Aug 24, 2012
This is another example of religious tolerance and exactly what the article clearly explained.

Growing up in Lagos, religion made no difference regarding where you to get education from, who to play with or associate with and even celebrate with

The fact that a high profile governor and public figure in Nigeria who is a muslim and married to a Catholic woman speaks volume. This is a very close representation of even my many families with muslims and Christains from different denominations.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by kunlekunle: 4:26pm On Aug 24, 2012
afam4eva:
Why should there be a clash?

they share and exchange goodies during any festival.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by bittyend(m): 4:29pm On Aug 24, 2012
Paul John:
@Bittyend, who else is yoruba, when a person from Osun state is not yoruba? grin grin 100 percent yoruba man.
Because I said I'm not in support of the traditional festival doesn't mean I have a problem with them. Okay?
And about the name, my last name is OLUWASEYI
Peace my bro cool

You're Yoruba, yet you're not in support of the biggest celebration of the Yoruba culture and tradition, no? I think some Yoruba people(especially the ones in Nigeria) need re-education about what being Yoruba is about. It's just funny how some Yoruba people born and raised in Nigeria can't even speak the language, yet they think it's cool. And their English sound like drum to ears. It's high time the lost Yoruba people started embracing their culture and understanding what it's to be Yoruba - and how to discover their inborn Yoruba-ness.

You're not in support of your cultural festival - yet you're in support of every festival celebrating foreign ideology/philosophy (since you're a Christian), no? Religion is an ideology, and there's no superior religion - all religions are/were based on folklore.

You need to start spending less time in the politics section - and more time in the culture section, to learn more what Yoruba culture is about. Use your bandwidth to surf the internet for information about Yoruba culture. Start by learning about what Ifa philosophy is about - and educate your mind, knowledge is power.

3 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by PaulJohn1: 4:51pm On Aug 24, 2012
@Bittyend, get this right.
You're not from Osun, definitely you won't know much about "Osun Oshogbo". I'm not against any tradition that promote yoruba culture. But "Osun Oshogbo" has gotten to an extent where by people worship the river as their god. May be you try and get there this seasons festival, you'll see people from different countries(mostly: Brazil, US, Venezuela, central and Southern American countries) going to ask for children and other things. In short, they've turn the river to their god. But as for me, it's a NO. I won't take tradition in place of Christianity. This what we call freedom.

2 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by bittyend(m): 4:55pm On Aug 24, 2012
Paul John: @Bittyend, get this right.
You're not from Osun, definitely you won't know much about "Osun Oshogbo". I'm not against any tradition that promote yoruba culture. But "Osun Oshogbo" has gotten to an extent where by people worship the river as their god. May be you try and get there this seasons festival, you'll see people from different countries(mostly: Brazil, US, Venezuela, central and Southern American countries) going to ask for children and other things. In short, they've turn the river to their god. But as for me, it's a NO. I won't take tradition in place of Christianity. This what we call freedom.

I don't want to turn this thread into a religious debate - and talk about how Christianity is also about paganism. But you need to stop the critique about whatever they do at the festival - that's their religion. Freedom of religion, no?

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by PaulJohn1: 5:09pm On Aug 24, 2012
bittyend:

I don't want to turn this thread into a religious debate - and talk about how Christianity is also about paganism. But you need to stop the critique about whatever they do at the festival - that's their religion. Freedom of religion, no?

Because I'm not in support of it doesn't mean I'm criticizing it. Have you read any critique from any of my post? May be you read them over. The freedom of the Yoruba, that gives anyone the right to practice any religion he/she wishes shouldn't be compromised.
Peace man cool
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by EkoIle1: 5:30pm On Aug 24, 2012
Paul John: @Bittyend, get this right.

This is ignorance and kolo mentality. Christianity was introduced to you because of colonization and if it was the other way around, they'll be worshiping the same tradition you are not acknowledging here. You accpeted their faith because they brainwahsed you that your God means nothing, but your local Gods protected and advanced you for generations before you and the introduction of Christianity.

What's next, your ancccestors all went to hell because they didn't practice your christianity?

4 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by scorpa: 6:10pm On Aug 24, 2012
Eko Ile:

This is ignorance and kolo mentality. Christianity was introduced to you because of colonization and if it was the other way around, they'll be worshiping the same tradition you are not acknowledging here. You accpeted their faith because they brainwahsed you that your God means nothing, but your local Gods protected and advanced you for generations before you and the introduction of Christianity.

What's next, your ancccestors all went to hell because they didn't practice your christianity?

I wonder ooo.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by alex14(m): 6:16pm On Aug 24, 2012
The problem with all these "Lagos and Abuja" Igbos is simply their inabilty to think meditatively before spewing crap angry. This article is loaded with unsubstantiated junk and I must advise the writer of this article to look before leaping undecided. The only reason our "friends" of Yoruba extraction have not turned their "guns" on each other is simply because they exists within the confines of the dungeon called nigeria. The minute nigeria ceases to exist, the Yoruba as a people will become chaotic as the Hausa/Fulani will find it easy to sow a "religious seed" of discord amongst Yorubas, tipping power to Muslim Yorubas,,,as a matter of fact, I can correctively state that the entire christian yoruba will become Islamized just to avoid discrimination. The elite Yorubas know this and that is why they're opposed to any form of nigeria's disintegration,,,,If you are in doubt, ask Afenifere who were begging the north not to do anything that will make nigeria fall apart.
Finally, I will advise all these so called "Lagos and Abuja" Igbos not to judge a book by its cover. Nigeria remains the [b]"life-wire" [/b]of Yorubas, hence their fierce opposition to nigeria's disintegration, but everything always comes to an end cool.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Katsumoto: 6:22pm On Aug 24, 2012
alex_101: The problem with all these "Lagos and Abuja" Igbos is simply their inabilty to think meditatively befor spewing crap angry. This article is loaded with unsubstantiated junk and I must advise the writer of this article to look before leaping undecided. The only reason our "friends" of Yoruba extraction have not turned their "guns" on each other is simply because they exists within the confines of the dungeon called nigeria. The minute nigeria ceases to exist, the Yoruba as a people will become chaotic as the Hausa/Fulani will find it easy to sow a "religious seed" of discord amongst Yorubas, tipping power to Muslim Yorubas,,,as a matter of fact, I can correctively state that the entire cristian yoruba will become Islamized just to avoid discrimination. The elite Yorubas know this and that is why they're opposed to any form of nigeria's disintegration,,,,If you are in doubt, ask Afenifere who were begging the north not to do anything that will make nigeria fall apart.
Finally, I will advise all these so called "Lagos and Abuja" Igbos not to judge a book by its cover. Nigeria remains the [b]"life-wire" [/b]of Yorubas, hence their fierce opposition to nigeria's disintegration, but everything always comes to an end cool.

Your ignorance knows no bounds and you stupidly exaggerate your ability to see in to the future.

Before the British took over Yorubaland with a series of treaties with various kings; there were Christians, Muslims, and Traditionalists. The first mosque in Yorubaland was built in Oyo in the 15th century to accommodate Muslim scholars and traders despite the fact that Oyo was into traditional forms of worship.

The rest of your post is just a compilation of bunkum and idiocy.

17 Likes

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by Chyz2: 6:24pm On Aug 24, 2012
Who gives a shyt.
Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by alex14(m): 6:26pm On Aug 24, 2012
I remember having an arguement with a Yoruba guy about why they (SW) are opposed to be by themselves, he answered as follows: "Yorubas are too sophisticated to be by themselves".

Alas! Over the exhaustion of time, I have come to rephrase that quote to be: "Yorubas are too chaotic to be by themselves" grin.

1 Like

Re: Are The Yoruba The Number One In Religious Tolerance? by alex14(m): 6:34pm On Aug 24, 2012
Katsumoto:

Your ignorance knows no bounds and you stupidly exaggerate your ability to see in to the future.

Before the British took over Yorubaland with a series of treaties with various kings; there were Christians, Muslims, and Traditionalists. The first mosque in Yorubaland was built in Oyo in the 15th century to accommodate Muslim scholars and traders despite the fact that Oyo was into traditional forms of worship.

The rest of your post is just a compilation of bunkum and idiocy.

Trust me, I, like your elites in Yoruba land have seen the future of what will become of you people, when the dungeon called nigeria comes apart. If you have any brain, you would have known why the abokis keep reminding you of your place,,,,does the "one-mile corridor" ring any bell? Anyway, what becomes of Yoruba is not my f##king business, I'm only pointing out the remote flaws in this article to undiscerning folks out there.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Zamfara: Full List Of PDP Candidates To Get INEC Certificates After Apc’s Loss / Fashola Tutors Anambra Political Appointees On Governance / I Would‘ve Fired Diezani If I Were President – Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.