Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,687 members, 7,831,129 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? (51691 Views)

Bassey Albert Greeting Buhari And Saraki (Photos) / APC Candidates In Abuja Remove Buhari's Picture From Poster / Caption This Picture Of Adenuga Greeting Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Nobody: 1:36am On Aug 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

lol, I'm Nigerian, but I swear I've never seen bowing. I probably didn't go to enough places in Nigeria.

I've seen a LOT of kneeling though. grin

Anyway, you're right to "e-break up" with me. What we had wasn't going anywhere anyway. grin
Guys don't kneel. They either prostrate or bow.

cry cryCan't believe i just e-broke up with u and u're laughing. U didn't even shed one tear
This e-relationship was emotionally abusive anyway. U never wanted it even after saying "yes".
I always had to compete wiv other girls undecided cry
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by bashr8: 1:36am On Aug 25, 2012
Malawian: Just immagine it was the sultan himself, the yoruba supreme leader would have been horizontal.
pictures tell a thousand words, tinubu is handing over south west votes to the north come 2015.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:37am On Aug 25, 2012
Shollypopz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwfiQhC6FD0&feature=related

I just saw your signature.

shocked

This is your "heroine"? grin

[size=2pt]Good thing we "broke up." I really dodged a bullet there. . .[/size]
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by esere826: 1:41am On Aug 25, 2012
@PhysicsQED and Shollypoz shocked

I thought u guys were discussing some serious politics and culture. .... now i see that its flirting mtchewwww
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:45am On Aug 25, 2012
Shollypopz:
Guys don't kneel. They either prostrate or bow.

Well, like I said, different customs apply in different places. I really thought bowing was a non-Nigerian thing, but you learn something new everyday.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with bowing and I guess it IS really a lot easier and somewhat simpler than kneeling or prostrating.

cry cryCan't believe i just e-broke up with u and u're laughing. U didn't even shed one tear

cool

This e-relationship was emotionally abusive anyway.

cool

U never wanted it even after saying "yes".
I always had to compete wiv other girls undecided cry

cool grin grin
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:52am On Aug 25, 2012
esere826: @PhysicsQED and Shollypoz shocked

I thought u guys were discussing some serious politics and culture. .... now i see that its flirting mtchewwww

"ROMANCE: Women are like safes; all safes can be opened, all u need is time and patience" - esere826
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by remarkD(m): 1:54am On Aug 25, 2012
his frogged-eyes seem filled with excitement as theyre fixated on Buharis package ... its like Tinubu wants to go at it with a dive or something.
PhysicsQED: lol, it looks like he's about to sit down, but he could actually be bowing grin. Maybe that's a custom/cultural thing.
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by esere826: 1:57am On Aug 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

"ROMANCE: Women are like safes; all safes can be opened, all u need is time and patience" - esere826

lol
I forgot to add ...."thats if you've got all the time in the world"
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Nobody: 1:58am On Aug 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

I just saw your signature.

shocked

This is your "heroine"? grin

[size=2pt]Good thing we "broke up." I really dodged a bullet there. . .[/size]
lol, she's talented and her lyrics are inspiring. Young girls need more role models like her

Nah, u just lost a gem
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Nobody: 2:02am On Aug 25, 2012
esere826: @PhysicsQED and Shollypoz shocked

Physics doesn't flirt......he's oblivious to any form of romance
I'm beginning to believe Ileke-IdI
PhysicsQED:

Same as men. I just wasn't patient with you undecided
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by esere826: 2:06am On Aug 25, 2012
Shollypopz:
Physics doesn't flirt......he's oblivious to any form of romance
I'm beginning to believe Ileke-IdI

Chineke!!!!

If all of u pursue physicsQED, who would be left to pursue me? angry
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by esere826: 2:08am On Aug 25, 2012
so this is what happens at 2.00 am when the NL kids are asleep ? ? ? I seeeeeeeeee
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Nobody: 2:13am On Aug 25, 2012
esere826:

Chineke!!!!

If all of u pursue physicsQED, who would be left to pursue me? angry
Lol, the answer is simple - NO ONE!

Well, I'm e-single now
Lemme go check ur old posts to gauge ur intelligence
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by PhysicsQED(m): 2:15am On Aug 25, 2012
Shollypopz: Nah, u just lost a gem

lol, you "e-broke up" with me over nothing though
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Nobody: 2:17am On Aug 25, 2012
Another version

grin

Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Obinoscopy(m): 3:18am On Aug 25, 2012
Tinubu is a yoruba man, and as such he is supposed to respect the age of Buhari
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Nobody: 3:36am On Aug 25, 2012
Truth be told. Tinubu has disgraced me with that posture. Billionaires dont bow.
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Gbawe: 3:52am On Aug 25, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Well, like I said, different customs apply in different places. I really thought bowing was a non-Nigerian thing, but you learn something new everyday.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with bowing and I guess it IS really a lot easier and somewhat simpler than kneeling or prostrating.

cool

cool

cool grin grin

How, as a Nigerian, can you say you are not aware of what Cubans, Brazilians, Britons, Americans and the entire world know about Yoruba culture? It is not possible to have genuinely lived in Nigeria and never coming across a Yoruba bowing (informal 'dobale') for an elder. For any Nigerian to now feign ignorance of this is just wow !!!! I guess swaying arguments , for some Nigerians, is more important than looking foolish by not acknowledging truth accepted beyond our Nation by even non-Nigerians.

Google "prostrate" and view Wikipedia associating it unambiguously and uniquely with Yoruba culture. I just don't understand this denial of what is obvious and accepted by Nigerians themselves regarding other Nigerians. The Togolese social observer, for example, would wonder what prompted you, as a Nigerian, to say bowing is not part of Nigerian culture when he , as a non-Nigerian, knows that it famously [/b]is.

I do the "informal bow" , mentioned below by wikipedia, countless times while in Nigeria so take it from your fellow Nigerian, [b]who is a member of one of the biggest ethnic group in Nigeria
, that bowing is indeed part of our Culture unless you wish to allude that Nigerian culture is now limited to whatever it is that applies to your ethnic group alone. I think you are bright enough to know that viewing issues in that manner is crass ignorance. To avert pedantic back-and-forth, bowing is simply informal 'dobale' and most Nigerians know this because non of us exist in vacuums. We all see what others do around us daily as cultural displays even if we will then turn around, for whatever reason, to deny what is societal truth. What Tinubu has done is 100% , and without doubt, accommodated in his culture and the educated world accepts this. There is simply no need to politicise everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostration

Yoruba "Doba'le"/"Ikun'le"
In traditional and contemporary Yoruba culture, younger male family and community members greet elders by assuming a position called "doba'le". The traditional, full Yoruba prostration involves the prostrator lying down almost prone with his feet extended behind his torso while the rest of his weight is propped up on both hands. This traditional form is being replaced by a more informal bow and touching the fingertips to the floor in front of an elder with one hand, while bending slightly at the knee. The female form of the greeting is the "ikun'le", a form of kneeling where the younger party bows to one or both knees in front of an elder relative or community member. Both gestures are widely practiced; to not perform them would be considered ill-mannered.
Modified versions of both greetings are also common in traditional Yoruba religious and cultural contexts in the African Diaspora, particularly in Brazil and Cuba.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Nobody: 3:58am On Aug 25, 2012
lol @ Gbawe, u took it personal oooo
I feel u sha, It's quite weird 4 u to be Nigerian and not know that though
I doubt Physics Nigerian citizenship grin grin
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:22am On Aug 25, 2012
Gbawe, I'm having a little difficulty understanding your comment.

You say that I'm trying not to acknowledge the truth and denying what is obvious.

But on the other hand immediately after that you post a link that suggests that prostration is being replaced by bowing among Yorubas.

When I said that I thought bowing was a non-Nigerian thing, I was actually aware of prostration as a greeting among Yorubas. I just wasn't aware it was being replaced with bowing, but like I already said, it's probably because I haven't been around enough places in Nigeria. I wasn't going out of my way to deny anything.

Anyway, as I said, I never saw a bow (like those East Asian bows or like Obama and Bush did in those pictures), but I already said that I was talking about where I'm from when I explained why I had never seen it to Shollypopz. I don't know the details of how people greet elders or highly ranked people in Kano or Calabar either, not just Yorubaland, so I guess my views were just due to a lack of exposure. For all I know there could be frequent bowing in those areas as well.
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by oyin50(f): 4:56am On Aug 25, 2012
N
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 25, 2012
Malawian: Just immagine it was the sultan himself, the yoruba supreme leader would have been horizontal.
That's Tinubu for you, a true yoruba man-the last custodians of respect in Nigeria.

For your information, when he visited Chief Gabriel Igbinedion, he went flat on the ground. When the man is with his elders, he doesn't waste time lying down flat in respect, office and social standing not withstanding.
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by pwettytemmy(f): 7:03am On Aug 25, 2012
@ malawian, I think you've bn attacked enof. OP I don't c anything wrong in a former governor bowing ƒõя̲̣̥ an ELDER stateman n a one time number one citizen. This is an example of wot tinubu would av done if its just an ordinary older man. Bt I'm seeing ds with mixed feelings though, this should be a warning dat whoever wanna dine with d devil will av a longer spoon. Tinubu is just trying to gain grounds n appear innocent. Their merger is not going to be d savior Nigeria's bn expecting as we don't need d old fashioned garbage men to ruin our nation any further. We don't even need dem to act like godfathers to some elected brainys cos it will still narrowed down to them indirectly paddling d nations affairs. Nigerians are tired of hoping that's why everyone needs to think n Vote wisely come 2015
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Malawian(m): 7:09am On Aug 25, 2012
WHO CHANGED THE TITLE OF MY THREAD?
Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Malawian(m): 7:15am On Aug 25, 2012
I go to sleep with a nice title dealing ruthlessly with the yorubas and then i wake up to this watered down version of the same topic. What happenned during the night? This must be an overnight miracle you got here cos i had boxed y'all into a tight virgina sorry corner. Nods has given y'all a get out of jail card and something to argue about. Did tinubu drop something in between the night? I am sure those who commented in the first 4 pages know what i am saying. Now i am awake, lemme deal with all your comments one by one.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Malawian(m): 7:19am On Aug 25, 2012
Billyonaire: Truth be told. Tinubu has disgraced me with that posture. Billionaires dont bow.
WORD !!!

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Malawian(m): 7:22am On Aug 25, 2012
Obinoscopy: Tinubu is a yoruba man, and as such he is supposed to respect the age of Buhari
was he also supposed to be going after buhari's groin?

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Malawian(m): 7:27am On Aug 25, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
Igbo doing slave boy for Hausa man.

No matter how much Igbos hate Hausa/Fulanis, they'll always submit to them, regardless of the crap they type on NL. Even tho Ojukwu tried to change things, he failed woefully.

[img]http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4600426073752886&id=e292f64e4393dc1d27fd42ab27d9980e[/img]
finally all 3 has been represented grin. Did you see soludo'd head near atiku's abunnam? Show me anywhere soludo bowed to atiku. And who told you we submit to hausa fulani? Are you trying to confuse igbo with your yoruba?

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Malawian(m): 7:33am On Aug 25, 2012
remark D: his frogged-eyes seem filled with excitement as theyre fixated on Buharis package ... its like Tinubu wants to go at it with a dive or something.
yeah! You can see that buhari was aware of tinubu's urge hence the reason he was shifting his torso backwards and using his second hand to protect his abunnam. Probably didnt enjoy the last time tinubu gave him a blo.w job. gringrin

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Bow-Greeting Buhari (Picture): Slavery Or Respect? by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 25, 2012
Malawian: yeah! You can see that buhari was aware of tinubu's urge hence the reason he was shifting his torso backwards and using his second hand to protect his abunnam. Probably didnt enjoy the last time tinubu gave him a blo.w job. gringrin

What's up with you and homosexu.al fantasies?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Atiku's Son Doesn't Work In A Pure Water Factory, His Father Owns It / Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To NBA & UNILORIN Student's Hijab Controversy / 2015 Presidential Election - A More Objective Prediction Of The Outcome

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.