Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,994 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

The Price Of Garri - Food (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / The Price Of Garri (41035 Views)

The Price Of A Bottle Of Heineken Is Too High In Nigeria. Protest Here !!. / Price Of Garri Skyrockets Astronomically / What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Price Of Garri by bbpreye2: 6:13pm On Sep 01, 2012
sexkillz(m), seunajia(m), aplomb_lass(f), Slicqy prizzy(f), gbesky(m), Tinyemeka(m), girl king(f), Vivly(f), vinc, centje(m), DICKtator, Blue moon(f), norens, Ishilove(f) and 9 guest(s)

SEXKILLZ is on this thread oh!
I guess seun has unleashed his attack dogs to do more harm to my fellow garri advocates!

But sexkillz, u don't affect the price of garri in the market so #notseeingU

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by bbpreye2: 6:17pm On Sep 01, 2012
Another challenge ooooooh,
Another chalenge oooooooooh,
Another challenge oooooooh,

GARRI, GARRI challenge ooooh!

Today I bought one rubber of garri for 350! Can u imagine..
We need to protest more so that the price can be reduced pls!

I hope this my thread affects the price of garri in the market!
Re: The Price Of Garri by Bluemoon1(f): 6:19pm On Sep 01, 2012
this is becoming rather silly...most of Nairalanders are adults. its not right for Seun to threaten us with ban. its like threatening to flog a student if he/she talks. People should be allowed to say what they want. This is a public forum and not a classroom. i tire for this matter o

2 Likes

Re: The Price Of Garri by aplomblass(f): 6:25pm On Sep 01, 2012
13th page waoh.honestly ave not being dis long on nairaland (imagine since 12 noon).but its actually funny why you ave to ban .what about does that use dis phrase"ao does dis make it to the fp"are you also going to ban them.to be real, seun you need to check your mods ,cos d way silly topics actually make front page is annoing.i dont fink any topic that doesn,t make it to the fp has this thread.'[s] well ao does dis actually affect d price of garri??'[s][/s]
Re: The Price Of Garri by bbpreye2: 6:57pm On Sep 01, 2012
I want Nairalanders to share their views on how this question has become an offensive statement on threads. I started the campaign and I have served my numerous bans. Am sorry if I offended anyone. Please mods, let the people be the judge on this issue. Is it wrong to ask about the price of garri?

(Quote) (Report) 30 Likes (Like)

Re: The Price Of Garri by Seun(m): 4:03pm On Aug 31

Yes, please,

It's wrong to ask about the price of garri on a thread that has nothing to do with garri. Doing so will earn you a ban.

Thanks for your kind cooperation.

(Quote) (Report) 31 Likes (Like)

Seun u can see the difference in the number of LIKES! You just av to change your stance on this!

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by Chitexs250(m): 6:58pm On Sep 01, 2012
El Matteo: I have often watched from †ђε stands in dismay at †ђε utter myopic α̲̅πϑ shortsighted nature đα̲̅τ̲̅ have become †ђε custom of nairaland trends α̲̅πϑ τ̅☺ say †ђε least, it is no longer funny. I believe †ђε vision of Seun when he started this forum was τ̅☺ create an environment F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ Nigerians τ̅☺ share their opinions α̲̅πϑ views about issues α̲̅πϑ also learn from one another, little wonder it has become †ђε most popular forum in †ђε country. However, it is quite bedeviling when I ‎​see †ђε utter ignorance α̲̅πϑ arrogance đα̲̅τ̲̅ many users of this forum show evidenced by their shabby, ill-thought α̲̅πϑ myopic comments. It has been turned τ̅☺ an alter of abuses α̲̅πϑ insults α̲̅πϑ I'm often sad τ̅☺ see †ђε way my fellow country men think. It is even much more confusing đα̲̅τ̲̅ even though †ђε owner of †ђε forum has spoken on this issue, many people even still accuse him of regulating discussions on his own forum. Coming τ̅☺ this particular issue, isnt it ridiculous đα̲̅τ̲̅ U̶̲̥̅̊ find a trend on nairaland, u open it, read it α̲̅πϑ then drop †ђε cliche α̲̅πϑ nauseating statement about †ђε price of garri. The question is why did u even open it in †ђε first place. Some issues đα̲̅τ̲̅ Α̲̅я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ irrelevant τ̅☺ u may be relevant τ̅☺ others so why act as if †ђε world revolves around u. I expect more intelligence from my fellow country ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥n, I expect more visionaries. I believe we can change †ђε way we view α̲̅πϑ respond τ̅☺ situations cos it goes a long way τ̅☺ show our level of intelligence.
After all your long and meaningless speech just tell me now how does this really affects the price of Garri in ur area and market at large mtcheeeeeew

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by NeuroBoss(m): 7:07pm On Sep 01, 2012
Seun: Yes, please,

It's wrong to ask about the price of garri on a thread that has nothing to do with garri. Doing so will earn you a ban.

"Doing so will earn you a ban"? This should not be coming from the Zuckerberg of Nigeria that we thought will be more tactical about issues. Asking about how a post will change the price of garri is another way of saying euphemistically, "this thread is useless" and pray, when has it become a crime to express one's opinions? Lest I forget, if Mr Seun served someone a ban on Nairaland, will that change the price of garri or bring back subsidy on petroleum products in the market?

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by Tinyemeka(m): 7:08pm On Sep 01, 2012
I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our Garri nation.

Forty-eight hours ago, a great Garri comrade, initiated the Garri
Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous
activism came as a great beacon light of hope to
millions of e-Garri lovers who had been seared in
the flames of withering injustice and comments censorship. It came as a
joyous daybreak to end the long night of
captivity from trigger-happy banning mods.
I say to you today, my Garri friends, that in spite of the
difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still
have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the
Garrious dream.

I have a dream that one day this forum will rise
up and live out the true meaning of its creed:
"A forum for Nigerians and lovers of Nigeria" and by extension, GARRI!

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of
Udi, the sons of former palm-wine tappers and the sons of
Ogbmosho cocoa farmers will be able to sit down
together at a table of brotherhood demolishing basins of eba and stacks of kilishi and suya supplied by their Kano brothers.

I have a dream that one day even the state of
Borno, a desert state, sweltering with the
heat of BokoHaramism and bomb explosions, will be
transformed into an oasis of burabisko, miyan wake and tuwo shinkafa.

I have a dream that my four basins of Garri, will one
day be served to my girlfriend, where they will not be
judged by the color of the eba but by the
swelling of the belle, the content of the ofe Oha and the hours of comatose sleep induced thenceforth.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the state of
Nairaland, whose Chairman's lips are presently
dripping with the words of interposition and
bannification, will be transformed into a situation
where Ijebu Garri and Asaba Garri will be
able to jollificate with Yellow garri and be swallowed with every feeling of rhapsody and merriment accompanied by steaming dishes of ofe Owerre and jars of Tombo harvested from the palms of Ezinihitte-Mbaise.

I have a dream today.

TinyEmeka
a.k.a WillyWilly Reloaded.

12 Likes

Re: The Price Of Garri by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 01, 2012
I don't think Seun offered literature in school, the expression of how does it affect the price of garri?' is a figurative expressesion which is satirical in nature.

2 Likes

Re: The Price Of Garri by NobleAngell(f): 7:23pm On Sep 01, 2012
Seun: Yes, please,

Makes no sense 2 me. Y should u ban sum1 simply because he is tryin 2 hav an idea on how much garri is now sold for after posting your thread?
Re: The Price Of Garri by onatisi(m): 7:39pm On Sep 01, 2012
Ishilove:
Just hush it! You just spewed a boat load of crap. Go back to the sidelines from whence you emerged from and stop boring us to tears
thanks a lot , it was shipload of trash ,that guy just wrote complete catshit .

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by onatisi(m): 7:40pm On Sep 01, 2012
@bbpreye, dont mind seun , you whom garri has blessed no seun can ban you , we dey your back
Re: The Price Of Garri by onatisi(m): 7:42pm On Sep 01, 2012
there are 3 unifying factors in nigeria , that we share with passion regardless of which tribe you come from AND they are
1)naira
2)football
3)ALMIGHTY GARRIIIIIIIIIIII

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by habayommy: 7:43pm On Sep 01, 2012
Tinyemeka: I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our Garri nation.

Forty-eight hours ago, a great Garri comrade, initiated the Garri
Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous
activism came as a great beacon light of hope to
millions of e-Garri lovers who had been seared in
the flames of withering injustice and comments censorship. It came as a
joyous daybreak to end the long night of
captivity from trigger-happy banning mods.
I say to you today, my Garri friends, that in spite of the
difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still
have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the
Garrious dream.

I have a dream that one day this forum will rise
up and live out the true meaning of its creed:
"A forum for Nigerians and lovers of Nigeria" and by extension, GARRI!

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of
Udi, the sons of former palm-wine tappers and the sons of
Ogbmosho cocoa farmers will be able to sit down
together at a table of brotherhood demolishing basins of eba and stacks of kilishi and suya supplied by their Kano brothers.

I have a dream that one day even the state of
Borno, a desert state, sweltering with the
heat of BokoHaramism and bomb explosions, will be
transformed into an oasis of burabisko, miyan wake and tuwo shinkafa.

I have a dream that my four basins of Garri, will one
day be served to my girlfriend, where they will not be
judged by the color of the eba but by the
swelling of the belle, the content of the ofe Oha and the hours of comatose sleep induced thenceforth.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the state of
Nairaland, whose Chairman's lips are presently
dripping with the words of interposition and
bannification, will be transformed into a situation
where Ijebu Garri and Asaba Garri will be
able to jollificate with Yellow garri and be swallowed with every feeling of rhapsody and merriment accompanied by steaming dishes of ofe Owerre and jars of Tombo harvested from the palms of Ezinihitte-Mbaise.

I have a dream today.

TinyEmeka
a.k.a WillyWilly Reloaded.
grin grin grin I have a dream that one day, just one day GARRI will be the cure for HIV/AIDS undecided what would seun do then?

2 Likes

Re: The Price Of Garri by idlaw2k3(m): 7:44pm On Sep 01, 2012
At this rate, the NL price of garri controversy will make headlines in CNN,BBC and Algezeera. Such a sad commentry of the mindset of many Nigerians. While others brainstorm on innovations in Technology, Economics, Education and so on. Many others in my dear country are satisfied just to know how much a cup of garri is.¿ As a man thinketh........so he is.

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by Flygeriana(m): 7:44pm On Sep 01, 2012
Seun: You will not be banned for posting about garri on this garri thread.
And how does this affect the price of garri? undecided

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by onatisi(m): 7:46pm On Sep 01, 2012
idlaw2k3: At this rate, the NL price of garri controversy will make headlines in CNN,BBC and Algezeera. Such a sad commentry of the mindset of many Nigerians. While others brainstorm on innovations in Technology, Economics, Education and so on. Many others in my dear country are satisfied just to know how much a cup of garri is.¿ As a man thinketh........so he is.
who is stopping you from going to other threads to brainstorm on other issue ?and by the way if garri is not important to you why are you here contributing to the thread?hypocrite

2 Likes

Re: The Price Of Garri by onatisi(m): 7:52pm On Sep 01, 2012
even dbanj mention garri is oliver twist
Re: The Price Of Garri by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2012
Nice thread. As long as you keep the garri nonsense off the romance section, we cool.

Good luck.
Re: The Price Of Garri by toluxa1(m): 8:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
Waooo, finally a thread where I can 'legally' ask about the price of garri without getting banned. . . . hahaha

[size=28pt]SO HOW EXACTLY DOES THIS THREAD AFFECT THE FOREX NIGERIA EARNS FROM THE INCREASE IN THE PRICE OF GARRI[/size]

Now let's see of I get banned, since this thread has to do with garri.

#free_garri_team
Re: The Price Of Garri by idlaw2k3(m): 8:19pm On Sep 01, 2012
onatisi:
who is stopping you from going to other threads to brainstorm on other issue ?

undecided
And who forces you to spew your silly garri thread on every topic posted on NL. I SAY GOOD RIDDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH
Re: The Price Of Garri by Chitexs250(m): 8:21pm On Sep 01, 2012
habayommy:
grin grin grin I have a dream that one day, just one day GARRI will be the cure for HIV/AIDS undecided what would seun do then?
I believe u too and I also believe when that happens Seun and his fellow counterparts will have no choice than to follow us and wait a minute chaiiii that will really affect the price of Garri not only in the market but in the world at large kudos to us GPAN
Re: The Price Of Garri by onatisi(m): 8:23pm On Sep 01, 2012
by the way what is the price of garri today in the market
Re: The Price Of Garri by kay9(m): 8:49pm On Sep 01, 2012
Just googled ''price of garri''. grin grin grin
Re: The Price Of Garri by saintiyke(m): 9:37pm On Sep 01, 2012
from 40man laptop squad to PRICE OF GARRI

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by onatisi(m): 9:38pm On Sep 01, 2012
GARRI FOR LIFE
Re: The Price Of Garri by bbpreye2: 9:54pm On Sep 01, 2012
garri, garri, garri, garri, garri, garri, garri, garri, garri, garri, garri, garri, garri garri, garri, garri..........

seun, this is just the begining!

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 10:07pm On Sep 01, 2012
El Matteo: I have often watched from †ђε stands in dismay at †ђε utter myopic aπϑ shortsighted nature đα̲̅τ̲̅ have become †ђε custom of nairaland trends aπϑ τ̅☺ say †ђε least, it is no longer funny. I believe †ђε vision of Seun when he started this forum was τ̅☺ create an environment F̶̲̅Õ̳͡я̅ Nigerians τ̅☺ share their opinions aπϑ views about issues aπϑ also learn from one another, little wonder it has become †ђε most popular forum in †ђε country. However, it is quite bedeviling when I ‎​see †ђε utter ignorance aπϑ arrogance đα̲̅τ̲̅ many users of this forum show evidenced by their shabby, ill-thought aπϑ myopic comments. It has been turned τ̅☺ an alter of abuses aπϑ insults aπϑ I'm often sad τ̅☺ see †ђε way my fellow country men think. It is even much more confusing đα̲̅τ̲̅ even though †ђε owner of †ђε forum has spoken on this issue, many people even still accuse him of regulating discussions on his own forum. Coming τ̅☺ this particular issue, isnt it ridiculous đα̲̅τ̲̅ U̶̲̥̅̊ find a trend on nairaland, u open it, read it aπϑ then drop †ђε cliche aπϑ nauseating statement about †ђε price of garri. The question is why did u even open it in †ђε first place. Some issues đα̲̅τ̲̅ aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ irrelevant τ̅☺ u may be relevant τ̅☺ others so why act as if †ђε world revolves around u. I expect more intelligence from my fellow country ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥n, I expect more visionaries. I believe we can change †ђε way we view aπϑ respond τ̅☺ situations cos it goes a long way τ̅☺ show our level of intelligence.

Na GARRI get all this grammar?
See as u keep head like extra GARRI. No let me use cassava stick scatter ur......
As if una never poor enof SAND SAND for we GARRI already......

1 Like

Re: The Price Of Garri by bbpreye2: 10:09pm On Sep 01, 2012
Garri
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (May 2008)
Whole cassava tubers
Peeled cassava pieces

Garri (also known as gari, garry, or tapioca) is a popular West African food made from cassava tubers. The spelling 'garri' is mainly used in Nigeria, Cameroon, Sierra Leone and 'gari' in Ghana.[1]
Contents

1 Process
2 Variations
3 See also
4 References
5 External links

Process

To make garri, cassava tubers are peeled, washed and grated or crushed to produce a mash. The mash is placed in a porous bag and allowed to ferment for one or two days, while weights are placed on the bag to press the water out. It is then sieved (or sifted) and roasted by heating in a bowl. The resulting dry granular garri can be stored for long periods. It may be pounded or ground to make a fine flour.

Eba is a stiff dough made by soaking gari in hot water and kneading it with a flat wooden baton. Kokoro is a common snack food in Nigeria made from a paste of maize flour mixed with gari and sugar and deep-fried.[2]

Garri comes in various consistencies, which can roughly be categorized into: rough, medium and smooth. Each type is used for a particular meal.

As a snack or light meal, garri can be soaked in cold water (in which case it settles to the bottom), mixed with sugar and sometimes roasted peanut, with evaporated milk sometimes added. The amount of water needed for soaked garri is 3:1. Garri can also be eaten dry without water, but with sugar and roasted peanut added.

In its dry form, garri is also a nice accompaniment for soft cooked beans and palm oil. This food mix is called Yor ke Garri in the Ga language, in Ghana. This food is usually eaten with fried plantain, commonly known as kokor. The combo is a common meal for lunch.

For a full meal, garri is usually cooked by adding to hot water and kneaded into dough. This is usually eaten with different types of stew or soup with vegetables added (plain tomato/pepper soups with vegetables such as okra added, thick, leafy vegetable stews, melon seed stews, peanut stews etc.).

Smooth garri (known as lebu to the Yoruba) can also be mixed with pepper and other spicy ingredients. A small amount of warm water and palm oil is added and mixed with the hand to soften up. This type of garri is served with fried fish. It is also served with frejon on Good Friday.
Variations

In West Africa, there are two types; "white" and "yellow" garri. The yellow garri is prepared by frying with the addition of palm oil to give it a yellow colour; while white garri is fried without palm oil. In the Western parts of Africa, yellow garri is more sought after; hence it is more expensive than the white flavour.[citation needed]

Yellow and white garri are very common all over Nigeria. A variation of white garri exists, popularly known as Ijebu-garri. This variation is produced mainly by Yourubas of Ijebu origin, in Nigeria. A great many variations exist of both white and yellow garri.

In Ghana, garri is judged by its taste and grain size. The sweeter types with finer grains are more valued over sour, large grain varieties. Commercial food vendors on the other hand prefer, coarser grains with high starch content as this yields more quantity when soaked in water. In addition, buyers often look out for crispier grains when trying to determine its freshness.

Garri can be eaten without further cooking by placing in a bowl and adding cold water; Ijebu-garri is made to have finer grains, and a pleasantly sour taste, making it very suitable for consumption in this way. Sugar or honey is sometimes added to sweeten the taste. It can also be converted into a breakfast cereal by adding powdered milk, chunks of coconut, groundnuts and cashew nuts. Most garri, however, is cooked by adding to boiling water and stirring to make a stiff paste or porridge, which among the Igbos is known as utara, and among Yorubas as eba. Utara (or eba) is normally eaten with soups, of which different kinds are available. Garri produced in the east, south-east, and middle belt Nigeria are usually of coarser texture and bland in taste. As such, many people prefer to use this type for cooking as a dough to eat with stews (as it does not change the taste of the stew). Most parts of Africa where cassava is grown have an equivalent staple dish.

3 Likes

Re: The Price Of Garri by felifeli: 10:14pm On Sep 01, 2012
.bbpreye:
I want Nairalanders to share their views on how this question has become an offensive statement on threads. I started the campaign and I have served my numerous bans. Am sorry if I offended anyone. Please mods, let the people be the judge on this issue. Is it wrong to ask about the price of garri?

(Quote) (Report) 30 Likes (Like)

Re: The Price Of Garri by Seun(m): 4:03pm On Aug 31

Yes, please,

(Quote) (Report) 31 Likes (Like)

Seun u can see the difference in the number of LIKES! You just av to change your stance on this!

This guy is a hopeless VANDAL (smh)
Re: The Price Of Garri by ayobase(m): 10:18pm On Sep 01, 2012
slimyem: na price of gaari dey disturb my typewriter!

Hmmm.....LOL....this ''gaari'' matter!
I gez ur spelling of garri is a strategy to avoid ban....''atleast u, Seun said garri and not gaari...so why d ban?''
Re: The Price Of Garri by methodman(m): 10:18pm On Sep 01, 2012
Price of garri is simply an idiom. We are entitled to freedom of EXPRESSIONS now haba. We are in a democratic era so........Abeg we need to practise wat we preach....FREEDOM.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (24) (Reply)

Civet Coffee Or Kopi Luwak: World's Most Expensive Coffee From Cat's Faeces? / 8 Things That Taste Better When They’re Free / Popular Nairalander Cooks With Firewoods.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.