Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? (34397 Views)

Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? / Why do Ladies become disrespectful to their Inlaws after Childbirth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by slimyem: 1:50pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

so you dont share anything that belongs to your spouse

You don't tounch h/her properties cos it's not yours

I guess I'm yuet to understand the big deal about phones . . . except of course someone has something to hide!
i do not have to have anything to hide.
Its called mutual respect for each other's personal stuff....especially if there's no reason for distrust!
My partner tells me everything(or so i believe)...and i do the same.
If there's something he's not telling me,then he probably has a good reason why he's not.
That's trust...and except something changes that,his phone is his and mine's mine!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 05, 2012
Flexskillz: There's nothing wrong if she wants T☺ read my sms but it might save her a whole lot of trouble иot to bother herself too much with it as long as she trusts me like i trust her.

Anybody can send any type of sms if they want to, just Щhat if someone is playin mischeif with me and sends a 'i love u or i miss u so much' kind of sms, does that mean i have something with them!

So to save her the whole "wahala" its better if she keeps off. Anyway if the above scenario were to play out we will talk about it so no issue.

I still dont get how reading someone's SMS is connected to TRUST!

How does not reading mean you trust your partner.

Obviosuly I wont be stupid enough to leave any 'incriminating' text message in my phone if I had anything to hide!

Well back to the topic. . . .

Which is more dis-respectful, hiding something from your spouse or going through his phone
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 1:51pm On Sep 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

OK . . . so why are you INSECURE about picking it up to read . . If you believe that?

Don't forget lack of trust.

And why are you reading texts that weren't directed to you?
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
Not everyone hides their phones....my husband doesn't hide his phone and neither do I. We still don't read each other texts....NOW WHAT?

the point is/was: would you find it disrespectful if he did?

whether that person hides it OR doesnt not want you to read it etc, it is the same thing.
as much as I understand that there would be a clear lack of trust (aka problem) if your partner wants to CHECK your phone every time you get a text, i doubt it can be considered disrespectful if they simply have a glance at it once in a while.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Sep 05, 2012
Flexskillz: There's nothing wrong if she wants T☺ read my sms but it might save her a whole lot of trouble иot to bother herself too much with it as long as she trusts me like i trust her.

Anybody can send any type of sms if they want to, just Щhat if someone is playin mischeif with me and sends a 'i love u or i miss u so much' kind of sms, does that mean i have something with them!

So to save her the whole "wahala" its better if she keeps off. Anyway if the above scenario were to play out we will talk about it so no issue.

If it is really mischief, why can't you explain that? Or do you have something to hide? Or do you have a COMMUNICATION problem in your relationship??

Notice at the end, the message is not what matters but the kind of bond you have in your relationship.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 05, 2012
slimyem: i do not have to have anything to hide.
Its called mutual respect for each other's personal stuff....especially if there's no reason for distrust!
If there's something he's not telling me,then he probably has a good reason why he's not.
That's trust...and except something changes that,his phone is his and mine's mine!

So it's ok for him to hide something from you, but not ok for you to read his text message
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 1:51pm On Sep 05, 2012

There ya gooooooooo!
[size=44pt]Gbam 100,000[/size]
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 1:52pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Don't forget lack of trust.

And why are you reading texts that weren't directed to you?

ON whose part? You just EQUATED inquisitiveness with lack of trust . . . something the dictionary does not do. And I am left to ask Why YOU feel you should not. Lack of trust on whose part?
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by dasparrow: 1:53pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

What has that even got to do with trust

I pick up any phone and automatically go through it without thinking, yes even the SMSs.

I read my mum's, sister's. friend's SMS and I doubt that makes me insecure!

If there's any text message I dont want people to see, I delete from my phone. I dont care if people go through my inbox, not at all!

I can never tolerate a friend just picking up my phone and going through my text messages. I don't care how close we are. I will not tolerate it from my siblings either. I am a very private person and my privacy means alot to me. It may have to do with the fact that I was very trusting of people (friends, acquintances, family members, etc) in the past and got screwed up severally by some people who betrayed the trust I had for them. So, I am not willing to put myself out there like that again. My phone is my personal property so if I did not explicitly give a person permission to touch or go through my phone, I don't want anyone touching or going through my phone or text messages. Shikena!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 1:53pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

So it's ok for him to hide something from you, but not ok for you to read his text message

She just said if she has NO REASONS to snoop...she answered your question many times!

Gotdamn!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by dontador(m): 1:53pm On Sep 05, 2012
Thank God for the modern development on technologies.... What more can i say if not thanks to the password mechanism... But if i have nothing to hide its not disrespectful for my gf to read my sms wen am not close to my phone.... Likewise, vice-versa.... But, its better if she will just respect my privacy and give me the phone 1st....
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Afam4eva(m): 1:53pm On Sep 05, 2012

You're right that anybody could send a mischievous messsage to your phone. That's why you should discuss it with your spouse. Hiding it will only make matters worse. Imagine if your spouse eventually finds the message some weeks later and checks the date it was sent and discovers that the message is a week old, what do you think he'll think. I guess his wife will start explaining to him that it's a mischievous message and that she was planning of telling him but but but...Many marriages have broken because some people decide not to be sincere with their spouse.

1 Like

Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 1:55pm On Sep 05, 2012
dasparrow:

I can never tolerate a friend just picking up my phone and going through my text messages. I don't care how close we are. I will not tolerate it from my siblings either. I am a very private person and my privacy means alot to me. It may have to do with the fact that I was very trusting of people (friends, acquintances, family members, etc) in the past and got screwed up severally by some people who betrayed the trust I had for them. So, I am not willing to put myself out there like that again. My phone is my personal property so if I did not explicitly give a person permission to touch or go through my phone, I don't want anyone touching or going through my phone or text messages. Shikena!

Glad to see you thought her statement was vapid. I mean for real None of my friends and family goes through my phone WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.

But the topic is about spouses reading text messages.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 1:55pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva: I think it's imperative that people learn the 1diocyncrasies of marriage before deciding whether to go into it or not.

Do you think it's a joke when they see, you're and your partner have become one in Marriage? What is means is that there'll be no more "My phone" or "My prick", rather it should be "Our phone" and "Our prick". If you can't come to accept the fact that you'll have to share everything with your spouse then marriage is not for you.

Thank you!!! It is people in marriages where everything remains MY PHONE/HIS PHONE that scare most folks away from the union. I mean what is the point of being ONE under the law of the land and under God but still living as separate independent individuals . . . . ***shudders***
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by freecocoa(f): 1:55pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

Obviosuly I wont be stupid enough to leave any 'incriminating' text message in my phone if I had anything to hide!

This is why you shouldn't read anyone's sms before them, just in case.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

the point is/was: would you find it disrespectful if he did?

whether that person hides it OR doesnt not want you to read it etc, it is the same thing.
as much as I understand that there would be a clear lack of trust (aka problem) if your partner wants to CHECK your phone every time you get a text, i doubt it can be considered disrespectful if they simply have a glance at it once in a while.

Thank you so much!

I actually opened this topic cos I wanted my hub to see people's opinion on this.

We are quite open with phones and I read his messages, he reads mine, I answer his calls, he answers mine. We don't password our phones!

But I read a text message this morning, before he saw it. I didn't go all out to look through his inbox but the message came in and I absently opened it and read it before handing it over to him. I just don't know why all of a sudden, it's dis-respectful . . .

Except of course I'm missing something about that particular message!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Afam4eva(m): 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2012
There's no such thing as mutual respect in marriage. That is left for one night stand and business partner.

1 Like

Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:
You're right that anybody could send a mischievous messsage to your phone. That's why you should discuss it with your spouse. Hiding it will only make matters worse. Imagine if your spouse eventually finds the message some weeks later and checks the date it was sent and discovers that the message is a week old, what do you think he'll think. I guess his wife will start explaining to him that it's a mischievous message and that she was planning of telling him but but but...Many marriages have broken because some people decide not to be sincere with their spouse.

Even if they discuss it with the spouse...is that going to change the spouse's mentality if he or she suspected infidelity?

No it will not....will the spouse reading text messages stop cheating or other people from sending bullshit? No, it will not.

So again...what is the point
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2012
freecocoa: This is why you shouldn't read anyone's sms before them, just in case.

I think having anything incriminating is more dis-respectful than having your messages read! undecided
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by slimyem: 1:58pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

remember i said 'if'!
Not that i expect him to but i trust his reasons!
I don't go looking through his phone or reading his texts without his consent except i have some other motive!
Its wrong and we both understand that!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 1:58pm On Sep 05, 2012
dasparrow:

Here is another thing that bothers me about the above . . . the Police will pick up that same phone and go through it without no consideration to who you think you are. The FBI or security agents can not tap into your phone in real time and access whatever it wants. But your wife(your life partner and the one you have sworn your soul to) should never do it? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 1:58pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:
There's no such thing as mutual respect in marriage. That is left for one night stand and business partner.

Wrong...there are respect in marriages.

Do you think my husband and I would continue to be married if we disrespect each other on a daily basis

Please tell me you are joking.....
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by dasparrow: 1:59pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva: I think it's imperative that people learn the 1diocyncrasies of marriage before deciding whether to go into it or not.

Do you think it's a joke when they see, you're and your partner have become one in Marriage? What is means is that there'll be no more "My phone" or "My prick", rather it should be "Our phone" and "Our prick". If you can't come to accept the fact that you'll have to share everything with your spouse then marriage is not for you.

True. But go tell that to the majority of Nigerians out there both at home and abroad who think everyone must get married and who force and harass others to get hitched whether the marraige institution is suitable for them or not.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Afam4eva(m): 1:59pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Even if they discuss it with the spouse...is that going to change the spouse's mentality if he or she suspected infidelity?

No it will not....will the spouse reading text messages stop cheating or other people from sending bullshit? No, it will not.

So again...what is the point
The point is that you as a spouse should not make a concerted effort to hide anything from your spouse because it might come back to hunt you. If he chooses not to read your messages then it's his choice but you should know that he reserves the full rights to open your A*nus. Yeah, he's your husband and you bargained for it when you said "I DO".
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 1:59pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:

OH, I totally agree !!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 2:01pm On Sep 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

OH, I totally agree !!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Duh.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 2:02pm On Sep 05, 2012
Honestly, I have little to no respect for women/men in marriages where OUTSIDERS know more about their partners than they do. I really don't.

If at the end of the day, the OUTSIDER has a better picture of who the person married, slept with, bare your body and soul to, is, then I wonder if you really had a marriage or just a mere bf/gf relationship with that person.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 05, 2012
With permission, yes she can!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by coogar: 2:02pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:
I think my post is kinda similar to the topic of discussion so i thought i should post it.

Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by ADGIVER: 2:03pm On Sep 05, 2012
Opps!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by ADGIVER: 2:03pm On Sep 05, 2012
Do not care much about her text. Nothing "interesting" ever comes in, nor do I expect it to. She reads my text, if she happens to be near the phone and tells me when I have a important text. I even call her to read the text any time an alert from my bank comes in. I say, "Oh honey, it's for you!" and she reads the state of my finances always reassured that her self employed hubby who earns thrice her salary, is not doing bad at all.
There's no big deal who reads whose SMS once the trust has been established on a rock solid foundation. It will always be something that benefits you both.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:
The point is that you as a spouse should not make a concerted effort to hide anything from your spouse because it might come back to hunt you. If he chooses not to read your messages then it's his choice but you should know that he reserves the full rights to open your A*nus. Yeah, he's your husband and you bargained for it when you said "I DO".

Excuse me? Did I say that I wouldn't tell him of bullshit texts sent from haters Are you flashbacking from personal experiences that you are confusing me with someone's else

If someone is threatening our marriage...he will be first to know but we are talking about snooping without consent. Stay focus. I know it hard for you.

Now the anus part....he doesn't have the right to open my anus because that isn't a place for intercourse. That's your thing but not ours.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ways To Deal With An Introverted Wife / Please Help This Lady Find Her Brother / The Mathematics Of Marriage, By Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.