Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? (34402 Views)

Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Is It Disrespectful For A Wife To Expect Her Husband To Help With Chores? / Why do Ladies become disrespectful to their Inlaws after Childbirth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by dasparrow: 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Here is another thing that bothers me about the above . . . the Police will pick up that same phone and go through it without no consideration to who you think you are. The FBI or security agents can not tap into your phone in real time and access whatever it wants. But your wife(your life partner and the one you have sworn your soul to) should never do it? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

I am not talking about life partner such as a spouse. If you read my post again, I said I cannot tolerate any so-called friend (someone I am not in a marital intimate relationship with) or even my siblings going through my phone without my permission. I cannot accept that. I said what I said because Ujujoan said she picks up any phone without even thinking and goes through the owner of the phone's text messages. She does that to her mother, sisters, and friends. Again, I will not tolerate that from someone I am not married too. That's just me.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 2:05pm On Sep 05, 2012
millionairemind: With permission, yes she can!

Thank you.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 2:05pm On Sep 05, 2012
dasparrow:

I am not talking about life partner such as a spouse. If you read my post again, I said I cannot tolerate any so-called friend (someone I am not in a marital intimate relationship with) or even my siblings going through my phone without my permission. I cannot accept that. I said what I said because Ujujoan said she picks up any phone without even thinking and goes through the owner of the phone's text messages. She does that to her mother, sisters, and friends. Again, I will not tolerate that from someone I am not married too. That's just me.

Oh OK!! I thought meant the other as well.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by slimyem: 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2012
Lemme give an example here..
My maternal grandad just died and my mom wasn't told because of her closeness to her dad.
Instead,a message was sent to my dad since he'll know better how to break the news to her.
Now,if she was the type who had no respect for such privacies and had stumbled on the message on my dad's phone and had passed out after that,whose problem would it be?
The point is if you both have an understanding of what's acceptable and what's not,there'll be no issues!
...and even though you aren't hiding things on your phone from your spouse,you might have good reasons to not want him/her knowing stuff!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Excuse me? Did I say that I wouldn't tell him of bullshit texts sent from haters Are you flashbacking from personal experiences that you are confusing me with someone's else

If someone is threatening our marriage...he will be first to know but we are talking about snooping without consent. Stay focus. I know it hard for you.

Now the anus part....he doesn't have the right to open my anus because that isn't a place for intercourse. That's your thing but not ours.

Maybe you are talking about snooping . . . . I'm not!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2012
i would like to know what would anyone of the nay sayers say or do if they found their partner looking through their phone?!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by freecocoa(f): 2:06pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

I think having anything incriminating is more dis-respectful than having your messages read! undecided
If only it were easy as you it looks.

An example was cited saying someone could play pranks, what if an incriminating sms in form of a prank comes in and your partner reads it before you? You think its everybody that will actually believe it was a prank? Its best your partner doesn't see such instead of trying to explain whatever.

1 Like

Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by dasparrow: 2:07pm On Sep 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Oh OK!! I thought meant the other as well.

Nope! My rule only applies to someone I am not married to.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by coogar: 2:07pm On Sep 05, 2012
MRbrownJAY:

the point is/was: would you find it disrespectful if he did?

whether that person hides it OR doesnt not want you to read it etc, it is the same thing.
as much as I understand that there would be a clear lack of trust (aka problem) if your partner wants to CHECK your phone every time you get a text, i doubt it can be considered disrespectful if they simply have a glance at it once in a while.

it is disrespectful either way for her to want to glance through my phone once in a while or everyday!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On Sep 05, 2012
MRbrownJAY: i would like to know what would anyone of the nay sayers say or do if they found their partner looking through their phone?!

Dude, even my mother "SNOOPS" through my phone . . . That gadget is public property for all I care. grin grin grin grin I don't understand why people who don't have business secrets or are using em to run multi-billion dollar empires attach so much importance to em.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Afam4eva(m): 2:08pm On Sep 05, 2012
millionairemind: With permission, yes she can!
Your spouse took permission the day He/She got married to you? What other permission do you need?
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Afam4eva(m): 2:08pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Excuse me? Did I say that I wouldn't tell him of bullshit texts sent from haters Are you flashbacking from personal experiences that you are confusing me with someone's else

If someone is threatening our marriage...he will be first to know but we are talking about snooping without consent. Stay focus. I know it hard for you.

Now the anus part....he doesn't have the right to open my anus because that isn't a place for intercourse. That's your thing but not ours.
Where did i mention anything about intercourse? I was just using it to paint a picture of what a marriage should be. You should be as free as a wind with your spouse.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 2:09pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

Maybe you are talking about snooping . . . . I'm not!

You are right....you absentmindedly goes through people's phones without consent! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2012
freecocoa: If only it were easy as you it looks.

An example was cited saying someone could play pranks, what if an incriminating sms in form of a prank comes in and your partner reads it before you? You think its everybody that will actually believe it was a prank? Its best your partner doesn't see such instead of trying to explain whatever.

That's where trust should come in.

If the message is a prank and hubby explains it as such, I should trust him enough to beleive it. . . . IF I trust him!

I still think someone who doesn't want his messages read, for ANY reason, has something to hide!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:
Where did i mention anything about intercourse? I was just using it to paint a picture of what a marriage should be. You should be as free as a wind with your spouse.

Then you need use better analogy because this one sucks!

Why the Bleep would my husband open my gotdamn anus for The anus is the nastiest part of the body why the Bleep would he want to open it? To look at it? To sniff it? To see if it is clean?

Keep playing stup!di if you want to.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Afam4eva(m): 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2012
freecocoa: If only it were easy as you it looks.

Even if it's a prank, why should you hide it away from your hubby? He's your husband for crying out loud and so, you should show him anything and everything except you don't know the man you married and in that case you should start filing for a divorce. Marriage is not that diffficult. It's just people thaat are making it seem that way.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

You are right....you absentmindedly goes through people's phones without consent! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Maybe you need to look up the word 'snooping'!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by noblechriss(m): 2:11pm On Sep 05, 2012
Personally i won't do that aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ i'm gonna be angry aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ warn her not to read my text messages before passing the fone to me,if she wanna read afterwards or spend the whole day reading the text messages then she should sooth herself!its morally aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ ethically wrong to do §Ơ̴̴̴̴͡,be it husband,wife,fiancee,bf,gf,woheva!!!!!!!!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Afam4eva(m): 2:13pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Why the Bleep would my husband open my gotdamn anus for The anus is the nastiest part of the body why the Bleep would he want to open it? To look at it? To sniff it? To see if it is clean?

Keep playing stup!di if you want to.
Don't run yourself over. It's kinda metaphoric.

What is even wrong with opening your a*nus as my wife sef...You're lucky you're not married to me.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 2:13pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

Maybe you need to look up the word 'snooping'!

Maybe you need to look up delusions. You are the one saying you go through people's phones without knowing you do and without their consent. grin grin grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by MrsChima1(f): 2:14pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:
Don't run yourself over. It's kinda metaphoric.

What is even wrong with opening your a*nus as my wife sef...You're lucky you're not married to me.

Bite me Afam4eva! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 2:15pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Maybe you need to look up delusions. You are the one saying you go through people's phones without knowing you do and without their consent. grin grin grin

All you have been doing so far is project your own delusions. . .

I mean INSECURE === INQUISITIVE? Really??
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by slimyem: 2:15pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:
There's no such thing as mutual respect in marriage. That is left for one night stand and business partner.
Jesus is Lord!!
..but there can be mutual disrespect...right??
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

I didn't know national secrets are stored in phone inbox. Now I know, I'll have to obtain written permissions before reading anyone's message!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by freecocoa(f): 2:16pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

That's where trust should come in.

If the message is a prank and hubby explains it as such, I should trust him enough to beleive it. . . . IF I trust him!

I still think someone who doesn't want his messages read, for ANY reason, has something to hide!
Yeah I knew you'd come back with "Trust" grin

Anyways people exaggerate this trust a lot , you forget that we are human and sometimes if not most times we are on guard, ofcourse he would explain it was a prank and you trust him so you believe him, i guess if something like that happens again, you'd still trust and believe him.

I'm just saying, prevention is better than cure.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Afam4eva(m): 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2012
freecocoa:
That's actually cure and not prevention. Prevention is when you tell your spouse what's on ground and he'll understand such that next time he sees such a messsage in your inbox, he won't suspect anything.
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Kobojunkie: 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2012
freecocoa: Yeah I knew you'd come back with "Trust" grin

Anyways people exaggerate this trust a lot , you forget that we are human and sometimes if not most times we are on guard, ofcourse he would explain it was a prank and you trust him so you believe him, i guess if something like that happens again, you'd still trust and believe him.

What are you preventing though? If you have a communication or trust issue, doesn't it make sense to deal with that problem IMMEDIATELY rather than avoid tackling it? If you go as far as to hide a mere prank from him, what else will you not hide from him?

You are going to spend your whole life with this person, how long do you expect to play this GAME for, before you slip up?
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2012
Kobojunkie:

All you have been doing so far is project your own delusions. . .

I mean INSECURE === INQUISITIVE? Really??

I wonder too oh . . .
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by coogar: 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2012
Ujujoan:

I didn't know national secrets are stored in phone inbox. Now I know, I'll have to obtain written permissions before reading anyone's message!

go and rid yourself of the amebo spirit in you - it's wrong to pick up people's phones and read their messages!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 05, 2012
freecocoa: Yeah I knew you'd come back with "Trust" grin

Before nko, you guys came up with the trust! grin

You see I disagree. This a marriage, there's no pretence . . . Even if I blow the roof over a message, he's still my husband and we've still got to trash issues out. Hiding the message is only going to make things worse.

Honestly, I dont accept that there's anything to hide in my husband's messages, except of course there's something to hide!

And that is even more disrespectful than me reading his text messages!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 05, 2012
coogar:

go and rid yourself of the amebo spirit in you - it's wrong to pick up people's phones and read their messages!

Go rid yourself of your shadiness! Wetin concern agbero with overload?

I'll read and keep reading . . . nothing dey happen!
Re: Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? by freecocoa(f): 2:21pm On Sep 05, 2012
afam4eva:
Even if it's a prank, why should you hide it away from your hubby? He's your husband for crying out loud and so, you should show him anything and everything except you don't know the man you married and in that case you should start filing for a divorce. Marriage is not that diffficult. It's just people thaat are making it seem that way.
Nwanne no need for plenty talk.

Its not about knowing who you married or not, if there's something i've learnt in my 20 something years on earth, it is that you never get to know anybody completely, you learn them everyday and mr people do change.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Please Help This Lady Find Her Brother / The Mathematics Of Marriage, By Pastor Adeboye / The Awkward Truth About Nigerian Husbands..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.