Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,360 members, 7,815,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:03 PM

Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools (18380 Views)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools / Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by TerryCarr(m): 9:32pm On Sep 10, 2012
norrisman: Nigerians are very myopic. Why would the Chinese need to learn a Nigerian language. Is any Nigerian language a recognised international language of communications. Why do the Dutch and Scandinavians speak almost flawless English whilt most people in the UK only speak english? Because english is a recognised international language. Are the Dutch and Scandinavians better for it, I think yes. Thank goodness they are not mumu like the majority on this thread and say they wont learni english because the English arent learning dutch.

China is becoming a superpower and it is forward planning. The only shame is that this initiative will only exist on paper and we will never see a teacher teach mandarin in a Lagos classroom.
i don't see them replacing there language with English like the Africans do. as long as there in your nation they should learn the local language/s your not going to get far with English in Brazil
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Dsage1: 9:33pm On Sep 10, 2012
Freiburger:
My question is, does allowing foreign cultures into one's own system relent a country from attaining a good economic and influencial statut?

Yes, in the sense that importation of culture has a great influence in both economy and social life of the people of that particular society it imported to. Borrow cultures lead to;

* Change in principle and ideology
* change in fundamental vocational skills on which a society was built.

NOTE: The easiest way of introduce a culture is through language.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Michky: 9:38pm On Sep 10, 2012
acidtalk: I used to think Jonathan was Insane but I got to realize Fashola has totally gone MAD.

This idio*ts never get to think before passing laws and acting.

What have they done to improve our culture by making our local dialect a MUST in the school curriculum.

This fools are the reason why today's chiddren now feel its a shame to speak their language.

If you say it is to improve business ties between Nigeria and China, is it primary and secondary school children that travel down to china for business trade and bring in loads of substandard goods to flood the Nigerian market which inturn as killed our local Industry and production.

Jonathan and Fashola na who dey CRAZE pass? 100marks + $50,800

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by turl(m): 9:39pm On Sep 10, 2012
Its a forward thinking move. fast-forward 20 years from now when China is a force to be reckoned with, we wont be left hanging. language is one of the best ways to break the bridge gaps when it comes to business so in all fairness, I'm in full support of this. Those of you saying they dont know our language should think again, Ive seen a Chinese man that has a shop in lekki, speak pidgin.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by TerryCarr(m): 9:41pm On Sep 10, 2012
you might want to Introduce Portuguese and drop french because Brazil is is bigger than the UK and will take France
Brazil can overtake France and become world's 5th largest economy
The Brazilian economy became the 6th largest in the world last year, surpassing the U.K., and is likely to reach 5th in 2012, overtaking France. The forecast by the U.K.'s EIU (Economist Intelligence Unit) consultants show that Brazil is rising quickly in the rank of largest economies.

"Such development would seem unlikely five years ago, but they reflect how the wealthiest economies were affected by the crisis and how the Brazilian economy has been expanding, boosted by the export of commodities," says EIU senior economist Robert Wood.

"The changes also reflect a stronger Brazilian real." Although the Brazilian expansion in 2011 was considered weak, 2.7%, it was higher that the U.K.'s, 0.8%. Such expansion made Brazil's GDP, measured in dollars, surpass the U.K.'s by a small margin.

The same is likely to occur regarding the French economy in 2012. The EIU forecasts that Brazil will grow 3.3%, while France's economy will be stagnant. Exchange rates will help Brazil surpass France.

EIU forecasts that the Brazilian real will be stable compared to the dollar throughout 2012, while the euro will devalue. With the changes, the Brazilian economy will only have a lower GDP than the U.S., China, Japan and Germany.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/11081504
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by turl(m): 9:43pm On Sep 10, 2012
TerryCarr: i don't see them replacing there language with English like the Africans do. as long as there in your nation they should learn the local language/s your not going to get far with English in Brazil
They are not required to learn our language but for the ones that do, kudos to them, it might be the difference between making or breaking a business deal. now turn the tables around and picture yourself competing for an investment from a chinese business man alongside an american, speak the lingo and you would have already given yourself the edge.
even Alan Sugar said the same here in the UK. we have to make these guys our friends now before its too late.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by SisiKill1: 9:43pm On Sep 10, 2012
Okay now I'm confused!

I'm on page 3 and I still don't see the punchline to this joke.

Sure it can't be real that the commissioner of Education is trying to introduce Chinese Language to children who can barely speak English?

Nah! Tis a Joke, it has to be. . . undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by profola2be(m): 9:44pm On Sep 10, 2012
hornipipe: With the ever rising mass failure in wassce ENGLISH LANGUAGE?
They wanna introduce another language instead of finding solutions to the constant poor performance of students in English language exams grin
Fucktards grin
my brother,English no be my Papa language,it is an enforced language on me.
ÓMÒ YORUBA NI MI,MIO NI FÓWÒ OSI JUWE ILE BABA MI.
i communicate and pass across message very well with my local language than my Borrowed language.
why most Nigeria student fail is because we've not been teaching our students with their local language.
these foreigners excel because they teach their students with their local language,
E.g,UK,CHINA,JAPAN ETC.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Lyth: 9:44pm On Sep 10, 2012
Comin thru plz make way 4 Blackie Chan uuuuuuuwochoooooo-or!

Aha! Yep let's psych d chinese 2 make more investments(in terms of productn of substandard goods) in Lasgidi n pay our labour mkt peanuts for hard labour wyl our local industries remain underdeveloped n un-patronised. Way 2 go FashieChan!!!
Oops! And sm1 plz remind me how easy it's 2 get a chinese visa plz!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by TerryCarr(m): 9:44pm On Sep 10, 2012
D sage:

Yes, in the sense that importation of culture has a great influence in both economy and social life of the people of that particular society it imported to. Borrow cultures lead to;

* Change in principle and ideology
* change in fundamental vocational skills on which a society was built.

NOTE: The easiest way of introduce a culture is through language.
how many nations borrow African culture(slave trading/colonial nations don't count grin) because not many do sad
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by SIRBANYE(m): 9:46pm On Sep 10, 2012
How does this affect the price of garri in the market? lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by idowuswap: 9:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
Only yorubaland great things always come well is bcuz of our education.so igbo & hausa make una self go school.bcuz igbo na 2 dey thief.hausa na 2 dey kill
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by dasparrow: 9:49pm On Sep 10, 2012
balium: to those accusing fashola of not promoting cultural heritage, abeg which govenor restructured the eyo festival? promoted the lagos carnival amidst many more. chinese mandarin is like the most popular language in the world owing to its vast majority speakers, much more popular than french, german combined so i see no evil in learning it. it improves the student IQ and learning capability [/b]which is definately what we need in nigeria today with the alarming number of dumb people walking around. you guys are just being paranoid. thumbs up to fashola

@Bolded

One thing I noticed about most Nigerians even when I used to live back home is their inferiority complex. How can you tell me that learning chinese (mandarin) will improve a student's IQ and learning capability? If that were the case, why haven't advanced nations like USA, UK, Australia, Canada, Germany et al introduced mandarin as a compulsory foreign language to learn in their public school curriculum? Are these advanced countries not aware that China is looking forward to being the next world power?

The problem with Nigeria is that we copy aimlessly. Very soon, Nigerians will start giving their children chinese names too. I have never seen a group of people who are so ashamed of being whom God created them to be like Nigerians. This is the same reason you will see Nigerians (in Nigeria) who have never lived in USA or UK for an extended period of time trying to force british or american accent out of their mouths.

Are we daft as a people or what? Why do we hate everything about ourselves so much? So because china is investing in Nigeria and in other African nations, we Nigerians must sell our souls to them? I am still wondering how I came from a country like Nigeria because I dispise people who suffer from inferiority complex with a passion. I need to go and take some DNA test. Maybe I am not from Nigeria sef because I just don't understand the way the average Nigerian behaves or reasons.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by samkoro: 9:49pm On Sep 10, 2012
I hate my race! Africans are not man enough.

Why must we always be the one to be
Colonised
Enslaved
Subdued
Mocked
Snobbed
Defeated
Stupid
Foolish
Idiotic
Miopic
Inferior
Daft
Dull
Crazy
Mad
Exploited
Fowl brained
Monkey brained
Fashola brained

3 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by TerryCarr(m): 9:49pm On Sep 10, 2012
turl:
They are not required to learn our language but for the ones that do, kudos to them, it might be the difference between making or breaking a business deal. now turn the tables around and picture yourself competing for an investment from a chinese business man alongside an american, speak the lingo and you would have already given yourself the edge.
even Alan Sugar said the same here in the UK. we have to make these guys our friends now before its too late.
Africa got all the resources the world wants your gonna have a lot of "friends" they can't let you become independent [img]http://2.bp..com/-whLgaglKCw0/TnYPL4JO4zI/AAAAAAAADuQ/qOC-GTidVrg/s1600/11-2-Africa%2527s%252520Natural%252520resources.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 9:52pm On Sep 10, 2012
profola2be:

my brother,English no be my Papa language,it is an enforced language on me.
ÓMÒ YORUBA NI MI,MIO NI FÓWÒ OSI JUWE ILE BABA MI.
i communicate and pass across message very well with my local language than my Borrowed language.
why most Nigeria student fail is because we've not been teaching our students with their local language.
these foreigners excel because they teach their students with their local language,
E.g,UK,CHINA,JAPAN ETC.
grin grin true to an extent
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by andyanders: 9:53pm On Sep 10, 2012
[quote author=acidtalk]I used to think Jonathan was Insane but I got to realize Fashola has totally gone MAD.

What have they done to improve our culture by making our local dialect a MUST in the school curriculum.

This fools are the reason why today's chiddren now feel its a shame to speak their language.

If you say it is to improve business ties between Nigeria and China, is it primary and secondary school children that travel down to china for business trade and bring in loads of substandard goods to flood the Nigerian market which inturn as killed our local Industry and production.

[/quote

You said i all. Our leaders think with their nose and not with their brain. Fashola is getting mad by the day with certain policies. I hope is not true. Why cant they first tell China to learn Yoruba, Igbo and Housa. Everytime, our leaders feel too inferior because of the white man's colour
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by jango77(m): 9:54pm On Sep 10, 2012
Oya make una start to learn chinese你再在大脑中都疯了...我笑在中国!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 10, 2012
Why is everyone crying foul? Nigerians are not critical thinkers - this is a good development as the world moves into a bi-polar world... China is going to be the biggest economy in the next 20 years, and the Anglo-american domination is on its last lap... You need to thank them for planning ahead - as the world heads towards the east..

China and mandarin has come to stay - don't be surprised when everyone in Europe and America starts speaking mandarin in the next 30 years... I'm trying to learn the language as well... China is just getting its military power together before it kicks America's arse out of Asia - and it already owns US anyway..

Kudos to the forward thinkers!! cool
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by jango77(m): 9:59pm On Sep 10, 2012
shymexx: Why is everyone crying foul? Nigerians are not critical thinkers - this is a good development as the world moves into a bi-polar world... China is going to be the biggest economy in the next 20 years, and the Anglo-american domination is on its last lap... You need to thank them for planning ahead - as the world heads towards the east..

China and mandarin has come to stay - don't be surprised when everyone in Europe and America starts speaking mandarin in the next 30 years... I'm trying to learn the language as well... China is just getting its military power together before it kicks America's arse out of Asia - and it already owns US anyway..

shocked shocked shocked hello!!!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Lyth: 9:59pm On Sep 10, 2012
idowuswap: Only yorubaland great things always come well is bcuz of our education.so igbo & hausa make una self go school.bcuz igbo na 2 dey thief.hausa na 2 dey kill

Is it dat d mods dnt see ur posts or wtf? U r alwayz quick 2 bring tribalism in2 any thread or topic! Btw ur grammatical construction is abysmal so shut ur trap abt anythg education!!!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Talentgift: 10:00pm On Sep 10, 2012
We never learn yoruba, hausa & igbo finish......na chinese we wan add. Is it chinese language that will improve our economy Think
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 10:00pm On Sep 10, 2012
Where is the asian-american rapper JIN?? - JIN is a prophet!!!! grin

I'm gonna learn chinese!! grin

[size=14pt]Jin - Learn Chinese[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9ShKka_v4
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by TerryCarr(m): 10:00pm On Sep 10, 2012
shymexx: Why is everyone crying foul? Nigerians are not critical thinkers - this is a good development as the world moves into a bi-polar world... China is going to be the biggest economy in the next 20 years, and the Anglo-american domination is on its last lap... You need to thank them for planning ahead - as the world heads towards the east..

not many Chinese speak English do you Africans really hate your languages this badly tongue
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Shaw007(m): 10:01pm On Sep 10, 2012
acidtalk: I used to think Jonathan was Insane but I got to realize Fashola has totally gone MAD.

word!!

And besides,dat mandarin has to one of the world's hardest languages,if not d hardest,with that odd lettering of theirs. .. This is just nonsense

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 10:03pm On Sep 10, 2012
jango77:

shocked shocked shocked hello!!!

Fam, that's the truth - China's buying everything up, and it's only a matter of time before they take over from Anglo-american dominance..

Their military is getting stronger as well - and their military doctrine is top-notch...

The Chinese are not playing..
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Agimor(m): 10:04pm On Sep 10, 2012
Adding another dialect to their curriculum is not a bad idea.it will rather strengthen the mutual relationship between Nigeria and China.after all china is becoming a power house in terms of economy.so seconded.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 10, 2012
TerryCarr: not many Chinese speak English do you Africans really hate your languages this badly tongue

Obviously, they're not going to make it the national language...

In secondary school here, you have to learn another language apart from English - just for flexibility reasons..

I speak English, a little bit of yoruba(parents at home), a little bit of french, and a little bit of portugese..

There's nothing bad in speaking three or four languages..

Local language + English + mandarin..

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by dasparrow: 10:07pm On Sep 10, 2012
samkoro: I hate my race! Africans are not man enough.

Why must we always be the one to be
Colonised
Enslaved
Subdued
Mocked
Snobbed
Defeated
Stupid
Foolish
Idiotic
Miopic
Inferior
Daft
Dull
Crazy
Mad
Exploited
Fowl brained
Monkey brained
Fashola brained

That is because since time immemorial, the African has always been stupidly infatuated with people of other racial groups. This is why our ancestors sat there like a bunch of air heads and watched the europeans leave their countries and continent, came to Africa, enslaved our people, allowed the europeans ship our people in chains back to the new world as free laborers while the europeans stayed back in Africa stealing our resources all in the name of colonization and forced us to become countries with other African ethnic groups whom we have nothing in common with culturally, linguistically and otherwise. Africa get's ra*ped by everyone. First it was the Arabs, then the caucasians/europeans and now the asians/chinese/indians. We have no shame as a people walahi!

And then we wonder why we Africans are looked down upon, mocked, verbally insulted, scorned, ridiculed and disrespected everywhere in the bloody world we go. Not even the descendants of the enslaved Africans taken to the new world want to have anything to do with us and look down on us. We seem to have no self respect, no dignity, no nothing! How I became a member of this particular group of people remains a mystery to me. There must be a mistake somewhere.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by dnawah(m): 10:07pm On Sep 10, 2012
May be some people don go scool read chinese no jobs they want fix them somewhere.i beg mak una rememba say karate follow 4 they culture too.:-D
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Dsage1: 10:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
TerryCarr: how many nations borrow African culture(slave trading/colonial nations don't count grin) because not many do sad

Africans hates and discredited their cultures, so it can't be borrowed.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Sweetnecta: 10:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
USA, specifically school system in san francisco is just waking up to letting their future diplomats of the world begin the learning of mandarin/chinese language from elementary school.

i am no fashola's fan for his almost anti Islam in my view, but he has made a wise decision, a great move to put nigeria of tomorrow at some advantage of being able to do business, mano-a-mano with the most populated and probably world leader of today and probably that of tomorrow, almost alone in a class by itself.

USA is the only country in my own view that can checkmate china of tomorrow. Lagos is hereby leading the charge for the nigeria of tomorrow, the future.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Factional Presidents Emerge In NANS / Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier / Categories Of Students That Carry Expo In The University/polytechnic

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.