Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,358 members, 7,815,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools (18378 Views)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools / Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by nkemKalu: 4:28pm On Sep 11, 2012
sunboy: Personally I see no big deal about this development. I have read about US schools teaching basics of Spanish, Chinese and even French. I believe the Americans are doing this just to motivate investors from the part of the world speaking the language. I see nothing bad if chinese is being made compulsory, as I have always wished we face out French sef. I learn french in my pri n secondary sch days, all we know is Bonjour, Bon soir, mon ami and d lil.
Learning language doesn't makes us being colonized by the chinese at all, it would only improve the already established trade ties.
AND WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO INTRODUCE IGBO LANGUAGE AND YORUBA LANGUAGE IN THEIR CURRICULUM

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Kgdavid(m): 6:22pm On Sep 11, 2012
but why should we go to school to learn yoruba/igbo/hausa?? are any of these the official language of nigeria?? personally i wish all nigerians could stick to one language and abolish the rest. treasuring a language merely because of culture makes no sense. the purpose of language is communication so whatever helps us communicate better is what we should have as our language. what has having many languages served nigeria if anything it only deepens the cultural divide that has wrecked our so called nation. learning chinese on the other hand while i doubt it would work at this level, serves to strengthen ties between the two countries. earlier in the thread one strange individual said the minister is encouraging brain drain by encouraging students to learn chinese to go study in china.....what kind of ignorance is that? if anything that is [b]brain gain[/b]cuz they will return to nigeria bettr equiped to contribute plus takin strain off our over worked and frankly below par universities.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by toboy: 8:06pm On Sep 11, 2012
nkem Kalu: AND WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO INTRODUCE IGBO LANGUAGE AND YORUBA LANGUAGE IN THEIR CURRICULUM
what do you think you have or can offer to the chinese that will make them learn your language?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by toboy: 8:25pm On Sep 11, 2012
Acidosis:
Crap!! I don't need a prophet to tell me you're His fan (Fashola & govt).. and from your statement you will accept anything even when he wants to poo on your head..
God forbid! I strongly refute your statement! I dont stand shit from anybody. I am just a fan of languages.language is the heart of every nation soo too our mother languages. People are likely to be sincere and attracted to you if you can speak thier langauge. Whether you like it or not china is moving and crossing border qua border. Reason before you conclude! My relation, lectuer who is handles course in chinese had done foreign langueages before going to china to do chinese language! He serves as liason between many companies in 9ja and the chinese companies. Attending extensive china-anglo and china-franco translations and conferences Come see the mountions he is scattering in lagos, abuj, enuga and clabar !
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by tyum: 9:33pm On Sep 11, 2012
In my own opinion it's a very smart move. Have u noticed that China is buying d world, giving loans to America,Greece even Nigeria among others. In China, A professor, scientist or pilot is making waves without d knowledge of English lang. Have u bought a high tech equipmt- Example a studio light( i got one last week and all that is on d manual is English and Chinese? How many Made in China products do u have in ur house? I only wish i cld get my children a private tutor.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by muffins99(f): 10:16pm On Sep 11, 2012
Michky: What about muffins? And point of correction. We speak english because that's what our colonial masters speak and not because it unifies ur country. BTW, what the heck is your point sef?

You mean 'your' colonial masters (I don't have one)... and you might understand my post if you actually read my previous comments rather than isolate just the one. Happy reading cheesy
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by toboy: 8:03am On Sep 12, 2012
muffins99:

You mean 'your' colonial masters (I don't have one)... and you might understand my post if you actually read my previous comments rather than isolate just the one. Happy reading cheesy
your fore-father did have, for sure!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by dont8(m): 9:50am On Sep 12, 2012
Same reason we don't need it to be taught to our children, waste of precious time. Even the french language and other ones that was compulsory in my JS school days, there was no teacher to teach it.

*DEAD ON ARRIVAL*
Billyonaire: Been searching for an opportunity to learn Chinese language, I started the classes just 1 yr and dropped out due to time factor. Nice one from Lagos State
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Michky: 1:15pm On Sep 12, 2012
toboy: your fore-father did have, for sure!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Michky: 1:16pm On Sep 12, 2012
toboy: your fore-father did have, for sure!
Abeg help me remind am o.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Afam4eva(m): 6:23pm On Sep 12, 2012
I hope they're simultaneously introducing Yoruba in public schools in Beijing, China. Because i don't see the sense in this.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Ndipe(m): 9:57pm On Sep 12, 2012
my question is this, why do we Africans have to adopt every trend in the west? Yeah, English was imposed on us by the colonial masters but Chinese? Please give us a break. Someone mentioned about the influence and domination of Chinese in global affairs, and I do ask, what of Africa? If Africa wasnt a force to reckon with in global affairs why are chinese flocking to our continent in search of greener pastures? Or would it be tomorrow, we might be forced to start wearing chinese clothes to work (just as we wear suits and ties in the humid African weather in the name of colonialism)

Now look at this: https://www.nairaland.com/1046475/exporting-nigerian-culture-asia-what
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 12, 2012
Nansense!! Talk about inferiority complex...
21st Century colonization
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Smartorex400(m): 9:29am On Sep 13, 2012
I swear e GO̶̷̩̥̊͡ mA̶̲̥̅̊kε̲̣̣̣̥ sense die if my best GOV. Fashola can introduce chinese b'cos chinese language nw Ȋ̝̊̅§ Õ̳͡п̥̥̲̣̣̣ε̲̣̣̣̥ of D̶̲̥̅̊ world using in communicate abeg I av a #Q GO̶̷̩̥̊͡ τ̲̅ȍ google and press google translate may be U̶̲̥̅̊ gonna see anytin like yoruba,igbo,hausa,calabar e.t.c buh search and see if U̶̲̥̅̊ gonna find chinese A̶̲̥̅♏ nt saying our language Ȋ̝̊̅§ nt gud e can only use it locally nt for business internationally abeg china rules the WORLD nw!!!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by toboy: 8:06pm On Sep 13, 2012
yes it should also be taught in primary school. when you want to get somthing tangible from somebosy try to impress them!!! and when you're through fiaapuuu!! you tell them you actually know what they know!! IT NOT A BAD IDEA
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Ndipe(m): 10:45pm On Sep 13, 2012
toboy: what do you think you have or can offer to the chinese that will make them learn your language?

And why are the Chinese infiltrating the Nigerian society if we have nothing to offer them? Oh wait a minute, they are here for business and at the same time, we are saying, "ok, we are going to learn YOUR language (not the other way round) to make this business deal possible." Inferiority complex.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by toboy: 6:48pm On Sep 14, 2012
Ndipe:

And why are the Chinese infiltrating the Nigerian society if we have nothing to offer them? Oh wait a minute, they are here for business and at the same time, we are saying, "ok, we are going to learn YOUR language (not the other way round) to make this business deal possible." Inferiority complex.
no, its called xenophobia, and daftness too . You should also be asking why millions Nigeria manufacture their goods in China? You should ask why Nigeria is importing electronics, clothing, phones, machines from chinese market? You're among many Nigerians who dont know the defintion of 'inferioty complex.' China is world gaint, both in technology and in any area you can think of. You do not brand it inferioty complex or cluelessnes when you want to get something from somebody more powerful than you(somethin you don't have)!! Dont be such a shallow reasoner!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by nkemKalu: 7:43am On Sep 19, 2012
toboy: what do you think you have or can offer to the chinese that will make them learn your language?
Just because u believe u have nothing to offer to the Chinese people........but personally, I have quite a lot to offer to them. So they should also learn my own language.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by toboy: 12:37pm On Sep 19, 2012
nkem Kalu: Just because u believe u have nothing to offer to the Chinese people........but personally, I have quite a lot to offer to them. So they should also learn my own language.
lets be frank, things like what?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by thirty(m): 10:27am On Oct 01, 2012
TimAllen: What's the big issue about learning Chinese. For me its a POSITIVE move.....GOOD IDEA!!!!!
do you know any of d most popular language? Why chinese language? Gov Fashola is totaly wrong with this.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by UjSizzle(f): 11:33pm On Oct 01, 2012
There's absolutely nothing wrong with learning Mandarin. China is an emerging market and many Nigerians go there to trade, it makes communication easier. Besides English is our lingua franca and the chinese are learning it. Nigerian languages are already made compulsory in schools so stop being naive and move with globalisation.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by TerryCarr(m): 11:52pm On Oct 01, 2012
uj_sizzle: There's absolutely nothing wrong with learning Mandarin. China is an emerging market and many Nigerians go there to trade, it makes communication easier. Besides English is our lingua franca and the chinese are learning it. Nigerian languages are already made compulsory in schools so stop being naive and move with globalisation.
globalization will exterminate cultures and more
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by UjSizzle(f): 12:10am On Oct 02, 2012
thirty: do you know any of d most popular language? Why chinese language? Gov Fashola is totaly wrong with this.

It's obvious you have no idea where China is standing in the world economy today. They are a major part of our country's existence today, a good source of your govt revenue and u dnt think learning their language is important? Funny
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by UjSizzle(f): 12:11am On Oct 02, 2012
TerryCarr: globalization will exterminate cultures and more

A lot of good your culture has done you in the past years.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by ifisco(f): 8:28am On Oct 02, 2012
laescatua: u're really right
very right
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by UjSizzle(f): 8:36am On Oct 02, 2012
nkem Kalu: AND WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO INTRODUCE IGBO LANGUAGE AND YORUBA LANGUAGE IN THEIR CURRICULUM

Our major languages are already in our curriculum. Gawd i can't believe people can be soooo near-sighted and daft.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Ndipe(m): 4:47am On Jul 04, 2023
Na wao!!!

dasparrow:

That is because since time immemorial, the African has always been stupidly infatuated with people of other racial groups. This is why our ancestors sat there like a bunch of air heads and watched the europeans leave their countries and continent, came to Africa, enslaved our people, allowed the europeans ship our people in chains back to the new world as free laborers while the europeans stayed back in Africa stealing our resources all in the name of colonization and forced us to become countries with other African ethnic groups whom we have nothing in common with culturally, linguistically and otherwise. Africa get's ra*ped by everyone. First it was the Arabs, then the caucasians/europeans and now the asians/chinese/indians. We have no shame as a people walahi!

And then we wonder why we Africans are looked down upon, mocked, verbally insulted, scorned, ridiculed and disrespected everywhere in the bloody world we go. Not even the descendants of the enslaved Africans taken to the new world want to have anything to do with us and look down on us. We seem to have no self respect, no dignity, no nothing! How I became a member of this particular group of people remains a mystery to me. There must be a mistake somewhere.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Factional Presidents Emerge In NANS / Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier / Categories Of Students That Carry Expo In The University/polytechnic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.