Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,429 members, 7,815,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools (18383 Views)

Five Things About Students Who Attend Public Schools. / Court Upholds Ban On Use Of Hijab In Lagos Public Schools / Lagos To Ban Unintelligent Students From Public Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nella(f): 10:20pm On Sep 10, 2012
Nigerians jst like to shoot down a gud idea. Ppl are mentionin local languages lemme ask - z any nigerian tribe poised to b d next world super power?? Of course not. But china is. Evry developd country is encouragin its youth to read nd learn chinese so whn d world changes we can change n adapt with it. Fashola is a visionary light years ahead almost all oda 9jerian leaders.

Imagine wat d country wld b like if we didn't spik english n rada spoke 'local languages' den u wld knw dt ppl nid to stop n think b4 talkin.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Ndipe(m): 10:21pm On Sep 10, 2012
And will the chinese be told to adopt any Nigerian language/dialect in their educational curriculum? Kolomentality.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 10:21pm On Sep 10, 2012
idowuswap: Only yorubaland great things always come well is bcuz of our education.so igbo & hausa make una self go school.bcuz igbo na 2 dey thief.hausa na 2 dey kill
oya go and read the first topic on the front page now! Its for people like you.try as much as possible to get treatment to cure you.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by laescatua(m): 10:22pm On Sep 10, 2012
Acidosis: rubbish! waste of physiological and psychological ability..!

French is such a simple language, students spend 6-7years learning it in pri & sec schools yet most of these students can't speak NADA!
Teach them what they need to know not chung chiann ..

You don't have to learn their language just because you want to be like them..
before you know it, the teachers would clap for students speaking chinese but if they ever catch you speak yoruba, you'll be forced to pay #20 vernacular fee.
u're really right
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by TimAllen: 10:24pm On Sep 10, 2012
What's the big issue about learning Chinese. For me its a POSITIVE move.....GOOD IDEA!!!!!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nella(f): 10:24pm On Sep 10, 2012
Ndipe: And will the chinese be told to adopt any Nigerian language/dialect in their educational curriculum? Kolomentality.

What makes any nigerian language globally relevant? I am a proud nigerian bt let's nt kid ourselves d chinese r nxt in line to d throne n we havnt evn joind d league of developd nations.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by TerryCarr(m): 10:30pm On Sep 10, 2012
Ndipe: And will the chinese be told to adopt any Nigerian language/dialect in their educational curriculum? Kolomentality.
nope grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Tolaaaaannni(f): 10:31pm On Sep 10, 2012
Let me guess and the next step will be turning chinese into Nigeria's Official language. I mean I do understand that they

are trying to improve the amount of languages Nigerian children speak but the thing that got me was chinese. I'm pretty sure

that there are a lot of Nigerian languages that can be taught in school if they aren't already taught. If they are

trying to go international, like "Out of Nigeria" they could have picked another African language at least.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by PaulJohn1: 10:32pm On Sep 10, 2012
amosy007:

I really don't see any big deal in what fashola did ..afterall he didn't force it down anybodies throat ( though am a fan of all fasholas policies )
The fact that students will start learning chinese doesn't mean they are gonna forget their local languages... .take french as an example ..I remebered in my secondary school days I learnt french and am sure its like that in most public school but how many people speaks french today especially thru what they learnt in their secondary school days... Let's just see it as one of those policies to encourage the chinese to invest more in lagos and nothing more

I'm surprised at people's comment too. I learned french from my primary school till my SS classes, o boy I can't make a statement. Then I don't see why this is a big deal. All is to promote mutual relationship.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by israelbenzion: 10:32pm On Sep 10, 2012
shymexx:

Fam, that's the truth - China's buying everything up, and it's only a matter of time before they take over from Anglo-american dominance..

Their military is getting stronger as well - and their military doctrine is top-notch...

The Chinese are not playing..

No matter what, it will take them 25 years to meet up current US military level. See d cat and mouse both are playing in d Pacific. The US still remains on top for a long time to come.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nightshift(m): 10:34pm On Sep 10, 2012
Fashola, what about Swahili? - a language spoken all over East Africa and which could be adopted as the language for a united Africa .
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Shaw007(m): 10:35pm On Sep 10, 2012
Sometimes when i look at some stuff apnn. . I just wish i were white,the way an average African thinks(home or away) is just. . .just GoSHY!!

The chinese are racing forward and so?? What is stopping Africa from doing the same,just because "they might just be the nxt world power" we shud now stOop 2 lick their boots,was Britain not the same country that colonised china?? Were they not the world power then?? Did china make English their lingua franca because of that?? Is it not this same china that are 2nd,economic wise only 2 usa? Africans shud plss wake up,pls. . .we can be more than this and we know t. . .it shud be the world learning our language now with all what we have and not the other way round. . .Goist!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by reigningwisdom: 10:39pm On Sep 10, 2012
This Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye is really more than clueless. why our leaders lack capability and they always bring great shame and letting down to our continent, Africa and our country Nigeria, precisely? Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye, why not you embrace and promote your culture to the core first before trying to use your political corrupt office to subject us again to colonialism of Asian language(Chinese language)? why not they(chinese people) too, to learn any of the Nigerian languages, Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa? Are we the people who're bent to follow foreign cultures but they can't follow ours? thereby they see us as inferior and unfortunate creatures, and treat us with very less regard. Please, Lagosian ask this woman, Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye, to go to China by herself to learn chinese or she can send any of her children to China to learn chinses if she is so in love with the chinese language and by going to China she must get fisrt class chinese treatment and thereby no one will advise her to bullshitt the people,their fuckin language and, their help of $20m to African continent in order for the Chinese Govt and her people to seek cheaper position on our natural resources which they don't have. Let our youths open their eyes, these our selfish corrupt leaders are selling and betraying us to these their so called foreign masters. Mrs. Olayinka Oladunjoye, come to China as an individual to learn chinese by urself and stop abusing our culture by introducing chinese language into our busy educational systen cos the chinese govt can't do the same even in the next 400years to come. Be wise to learn how to be proud of your own culture and be wise to learn how to market your own culture first before thinking to market others'. You are luck that l'm not your boss Mr Fashola, if l were him, l must fire you for thinking about this step.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by justin04(m): 10:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
Not a bad idea really, China is the next super power, why not try to learn their language? I would actually prefer my kids learning Chinese before French or Spanish, it will be useful for them in the future.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
israel ben-zion:

No matter what, it will take them 25 years to meet up current US military level. See d cat and mouse both are playing in d Pacific. The US still remains on top for a long time to come.

I doubt that... They just tested an ICBM that can carry multiple nuclear warheads(the only one in the world) a couple of weeks ago... Their aircraft carrier should be ready soon - and the J20 stealth fighter is already superior to F22 - the Chinese are not playing..

It's just a matter of time brother, not 25 years... They have already started talking back to the Americans - and the Americans are getting scared of them by day... The fear of the chinaman is the beginning of wisdom, US can't afford a confrontation with China, and China isn't rushing for now - they're using the Sun Tzu doctrine..

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by israelbenzion: 10:47pm On Sep 10, 2012
Sweetnecta:

i am no fashola's fan for his almost anti Islam in my view,

U r not satisfied that he is a Muslim: u want him to allocate 20% of d State's budget to Boko Haram first before u begin to love him? Or he shd build a mosque on every public square?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Ariyke: 10:48pm On Sep 10, 2012
Acidosis: rubbish! waste of physiological and psychological ability..!

French is such a simple language, students spend 6-7years learning it in pri & sec schools yet most of these students can't speak NADA!
Teach them what they need to know not chung chiann ..

You don't have to learn their language just because you want to be like them..
before you know it, the teachers would clap for students speaking
chinese but if they ever catch you speak yoruba, you'll be forced to pay #20 vernacular fee.
gbam! seconded
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 10, 2012
shymexx:

I doubt that... They just tested an ICBM that can carry multiple nuclear warheads(the only one in the world) a couple of weeks ago... Their aircraft carrier should be ready soon - and the J20 stealth fighter is already superior to F22 - the Chinese are not playing..

It's just a matter of time brother, not 25 years... They have already started talking back to the Americans - and the Americans are getting scared of them by day... The fear of the chinaman is the beginning of wisdom, US can't afford a confrontation with China, and China isn't rushing for now - they're using the Sun Tzu doctrine..

Buuhhahahahah....I laugh in cantonese! You obviously do not know SHITE about American technical prowess and Military strength!Americans are planners and full of foresight (its their culture). Enough said!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by SmileGirl(f): 10:50pm On Sep 10, 2012
I pity the chinese teacher when he/she will start, all the pupils will roar with laughter. Trust kids, they will take it to their home to play with it
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Lyth: 10:52pm On Sep 10, 2012
Paul John:

I'm surprised at people's comment too. I learned french from my primary school till my SS classes, o boy I can't make a statement. Then I don't see why this is a big deal. All is to promote mutual relationship.

Part of d big deal is they r gonna use tax payers hard earned cash 2 pay this chinese teachers(this may even increase d tax %)

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:56pm On Sep 10, 2012
It's one thing if private schools want to do this

but public? why?

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 10:59pm On Sep 10, 2012
....rushes in to commence G4 activity....and then....a familiar feeling....not so good feeling....screaches to a halt....looks around....hmmmm....i knew it....MUKI-the-BAN.dit looming....Scraaaaams in the opposite direction....pheeeew!....what a close BAN shave.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by kmariko: 10:59pm On Sep 10, 2012
TO THE MYOPIC NAIRALANDERS;

Please answer these questions

1. Why do you on average only speak no more than 2 to 3 Nigerian languages fluently.
2. Have you protested that physics or chemistry was not taught in your native language- whatever that is but in English.
3. Why is common literature and your OWN history not taught in your native language.
4. Why does America, Russia, Japan, Australia spend enormous amount of money teaching their kids Chinese.
5. Why does China, Japan , Russia and Brazil spend enormous amount teaching their kids english language.
6. Why does America spend enormous amount of money teaching their kids spanish.
7. Teaching your Kids other Languages does not negate the fact that your primary medium of communication in your country has been settled.

You guys should be thankful that you have a forward looking governor who understands that beneath it all it is all about the money.,., it is just the way the world works.

If you guys want to change it start with yourselves and make things people will crave to have. You do not need to have the government to make it for you.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by ayox2003: 11:00pm On Sep 10, 2012
Nigerians thinks alike. Fashola has an eagles' eye. A visionary. Always looking into the future.
For Jim Rogers, an American, to learn Mandarin at the age of 70, why wouldnt school kids do so now that its free?
Learning Mandarin (chinese) is a very good initiative. I'm learning it and you can bet it with me that in 30 yrs, over half of the world would be speaking Mandarin.
Nigerians, dont be myopic. Always ask yourself this question: whats the next big thing?
So that u'd be able to be at the vanguard of it when it comes around. China would be the next world power!
And learning Mandarin is a great initiative from Fashola. A serious young school leaver would be able to communicate in English and Mandarin. He obviously would have an edge over others.
God bless Fashola. He is truly a leader.

Frawzey
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by nativedoctor(m): 11:00pm On Sep 10, 2012
the students in the public schools cant even speak english well and you want to teach them chinese
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 11:00pm On Sep 10, 2012
Hon. SuQ Ma'DIQ:
....rushes in to commence G4 activity....and then....a familiar feeling....not so good feeling....screaches to a halt....looks around....hmmmm....i knew it....MUKI-the-BAN.dit looming....Scraaaaams in the opposite direction....pheeeew!....what a close BAN shave.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by sessydoo(m): 11:01pm On Sep 10, 2012
Write your name in Japanese.
Now that Fashola is planning to introduce Chinese lang, Lets catch some fun by writing
our first names in Chinese...and
see how nice, funny, weired or
strange our names would be.

LETTERS IN Chinese: A=ka, B=tu, C=mi, D=te, E=ku, F=lu,
G=ji, H=ri, I=ki, J=zu, K=me, L=ta,
M=rin, N=to, O=mo, P=no, Q=ke, R=
shi, S=ari, T=chi, U=do, V=ru, W=
ma, X=na, Y=fu, Z=zi.

lol
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Dsage1: 11:01pm On Sep 10, 2012
Nella:

What makes any nigerian language globally relevant? I am a proud nigerian bt let's nt kid ourselves d chinese r nxt in line to d throne n we havnt evn joind d league of developd nations.

The issues of globally relevant/recognition are what makes Africa remains underdeveloped till today. Things cannot just be globally recognized by itself, it's the people that make it work the way it is. Until we are able to develop our societies in our own ways, africa might not developed till Jesus come.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by Nobody: 11:01pm On Sep 10, 2012
kmariko: TO THE MYOPIC NAIRALANDERS;

Please answer these questions

1. why do you on average only speak no more than 2 to 3 Nigerian languages fluently.
2.Have you protested that physics or chemistry was not taught in your native language- whatever that is but in English.
3. Why is common literature or and your OWN history not taught in your native language.
4.Why does America, Russia, Japan, Australia spend enormous amount of money to teach their kids Chinese.
5. Why does China, Japan , Russia and Brazil spend enormous amount teaching their kids english language.
6.Why does America spend enormous amount of money teaching their kids spanish.
7. Teaching your Kids other Languages does not negate the fact that your primary medium of communication in your country has been settled.

You guys should be thankful that you have a forward looking governor who understand that beneath it all it is all about the money.,., it is just the way the world works.

If you guys want to change it start with yourselves and make things people will crave to have. You do not ned to have the government to make it for you.

Define Myopic! Ode.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by reigningwisdom: 11:09pm On Sep 10, 2012
[/color][color=#000099]
[/color] Nella(f): 10:20pm
Nigerians jst like to shoot down a gud idea. Ppl are mentionin local languages lemme ask - z any nigerian tribe poised to b d next world super power?? Of course not. But china is. Evry developd country is encouragin its youth to read nd learn chinese so whn d world changes we can change n adapt with it. Fashola is a visionary light years ahead almost all oda 9jerian leaders.

Imagine wat d country wld b like if we didn't spik english n rada spoke 'local languages' den u wld knw dt ppl nid to stop n think b4 talkin.

WHY THEY (CHINESE) CAN'T LEARN ANY OF OUR OWN MAJOR NIGERIAN LANGUAGES, WHAT DEVELOPMENT OR DEVELOPED DO YOU KNOW ABOUT CHINA, HAVE YOU BEEN TO CHINA OR TRIED TO HAVE A STUDY ON THE PEOPLE TO REALISE THAT THEY AREN'T CIVILIZED AND AIN'T READY TO BE CIVILIZED IN THE NEXT 600YEARS TO COME? EVERY OR EVERAGE CHINESE IS AN OPPORTUNIST, A COMMUNIST. PLEASE THINK WISELY B4 U LEEP. AFRICA OR NIGERIA CAN NO LONGER REMAIN A BUMPPING GROUND FOR ALL THESE FOREIGNERS AS IN THIS REGARD. PLS WISE UP AND MAKE A GOOD CHANGE THAN THIS. CHINESE PEOPLE ARE ONE OF THE MAJOR RACIST PEOPLE ON EARTH, THEY HATE BLACKS TO THE CORE AND ABUES BLACKS WITHOUT A SINGLE RESPECT. PLEASE TRY TO VISIT CHINA IF YOU'VEN'T AND WITNESS ALL THESE I'VE MENTIONED HERE BY URSELF. LESS THAN 2MONTHS AGO, A NIGERIAN WAS KILLED BY CHINESE PEOPLE IN GUANGZHOU CAPITAL CITY OF GUANGDON, 4 OR 5 DAYS AGO A CAMEROONIAN, ERIC BY NAME WAS KILLED BY CHINESE PEOPLE IN CHENGYANG DISTRICT OF QINGDAO CITY OF SHANDON PROVINCE, AND REASONS FOR THESE YOUNG MEN'S DEATHS ARE BUT TOO FLIMSY.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by ayox2003: 11:10pm On Sep 10, 2012
engineerd:

Define Myopic! Ode.

"Myopic" has been defined well enough on this thread.
I hope "some" of the students make good use of this opportunity.

Frawzey
Re: Lagos To Introduce Chinese In Public Schools by ayox2003: 11:10pm On Sep 10, 2012
`

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier / 16-yr-old Prospective Medical Student, Dies After Passing UTME And Post UTME / Categories Of Students That Carry Expo In The University/polytechnic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.