Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,952 members, 7,828,347 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology - Health (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology (880482 Views)

Ultrasound Machine Training On Obstetrics Pregnancy & Pelvic Scan in 2016 / Questions And Answers In Obstetrics, Gynaecology And Reproductive Health Issues / Re: Doctor In The House:obstetrics And Gynecology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gsawlah(f): 3:33pm On Sep 01, 2008
Dr. thanks for that. What about the delay in the months? i complained to a Dr once and he told me to use Gynaetrosid or something but i dont want it to be the help all the time. i could go off for a month or even two. do you see that as normal. please if there is any regulatory drug, could u help with it please? what do you think could be the cause?
Awaiting ur candid reply.
Thankss
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by minealone(f): 4:45pm On Sep 01, 2008
i think i also need help on this issue. my menstrual cycle hardly stay up to 3 days, it comes mostly just for 2 days and sometimes even a day. i really need advice please.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by agaba123(m): 4:53pm On Sep 01, 2008
Gsawlah:

Dr. thanks for that. What about the delay in the months? i complained to a Dr once and he told me to use Gynaetrosid or something but i don't want it to be the help all the time. i could go off for a month or even two. do you see that as normal. please if there is any regulatory drug, could u help with it please? what do you think could be the cause?
Awaiting your candid reply.
Thankss

Is gynaetrosyd not a anticandidal drug?
Do you use contraceptives? that could delay your period or even knock it off for some months.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 5:36pm On Sep 01, 2008
", My case is, some years back for like 11days, gradually it changed to five and remained at that but now my period does come every month."

As per your vignette, your periods are now normal. Likely the same problem, not ovulating, causes the longer periods and the greater length of time between periods. As for the medication you took, I have no idea what class of medication it is.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by agaba123(m): 5:49pm On Sep 01, 2008
The drug she tried to write I think is tioconazole except there is another drug with that brand name. trust brand cloning.
Prolly the vaginal cream or pessary.

If so it could be her doctor wanted to r/o candidiasis (if that affects mentrual flow)
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:36am On Sep 02, 2008
@agaba123
Thanx for the clarification. That is indeed an antifungal which will not affect the period.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gsawlah(f): 8:42am On Sep 02, 2008
Thanks for the replies. The drug i think is Gynosid(2 tiny white tablets) & not Gynaetrosid. The last time i took contraceptives was 3 years back (Postinor). im worried. thank again.

For not ovulating! Anything to rectify it?

Thanks.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 9:59pm On Sep 03, 2008
@gsawlah

I am a little confused. In the initial vignette, you say you are having regular periods now, is that correct? If you are having monthly periods now, it most likely means that you are now ovulating
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gsawlah(f): 12:41pm On Sep 04, 2008
Please dont get confused. Fine, initially my days were longer than normal, now i belve its okay.
My problem now is that my period skips i.e- it could come regularlaly for four months or even more, then all of a sudden for like a month or two i wont see it even when pregnancy is ruled out.

Any drug regulating this?
Do you get it now? Sorry for confusing you a little and thanks for the time.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by olabola(f): 1:53pm On Sep 04, 2008
@kathyekiti

i want to say a big thank you for sparing enough time to listen to all our problems. i believe u're God sent to nairalnders

i will like to ask u some questions, the question goes like this;

if i had my period on the 7th of july, 4th of august and 1st of september consecutively, how many days circle will that be? how am i suppose to know when my ovulation time is? when can i have sex if i want to concieve? what are the vitamins that i can take to facilitate my getting pregnant? is EVIOL a good Vit E to take because a friend of mine says its good and i am taking it at the moment. please kindly help me out on these because my husband is dying to be father, we just got married in June and he can't wait to see me get pregnant.

thanks as i await your speedy response
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by agaba123(m): 2:13pm On Sep 04, 2008
Olabola
It looks like you have a regular 28-day cycle but 2 cycles may be too small to conclude. however based on the information, you may begin to get fertile 7 days after your menses and that can last until the 21 days. The ovulation occurs in between somewhere around the 14th day.
If I were you, i would just enjoy sex with my husband without worrying about getting pregnant as soon as possible because those girls that get pregnant out of wed;wedlock care nothing about getting an issue.

anxiety might affect the uterine wall and impair conception even if fertilization occurred.

Folic acid tabs  is highly recommended if you intend to get pregnant and it is quite cheap. one 5mg- tab a day is more than enough.

And your husband must be kidding. Just two months after wedding and she is putting you under pressure. he can only worry after 1 year.

Also remember if you have been taken any contraceptive before now, it might affect your conception for up to 6 months from when you stopped. the type of contraceptive also matters.
Just a little contribution.
@Gsawlah
Gynecosid is used for amenorrhea.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by olabola(f): 2:30pm On Sep 04, 2008
agaba123:

Olabola
It looks like you have a regular 28-day cycle but 2 cycles may be too small to conclude. however based on the information, you may begin to get fertile 7 days after your menses and that can last until the 21 days. The ovulation occurs in between somewhere around the 14th day.
If I were you, i would just enjoy sex with my husband without worrying about getting pregnant as soon as possible because those girls that get pregnant out of wed;wedlock care nothing about getting an issue.

anxiety might affect the uterine wall and impair conception even if fertilization occurred.

Folic acid tabs is highly recommended if you intend to get pregnant and it is quite cheap. one 5mg- tab a day is more than enough.

And your husband must be kidding. Just two months after wedding and she is putting you under pressure. he can only worry after 1 year.

Also remember if you have been taken any contraceptive before now, it might affect your conception for up to 6 months from when you stopped. the type of contraceptive also matters.
Just a little contribution.
@Gsawlah
Gynecosid is used for amenorrhea.

@Agaba123

thanks a million times for taking time to read my post and trying to get things clear to me. i must confess that i really appreciate ur response.let me also ask another question

does it mean that every woman that menstruates regularly ovulates every month? i want to get this cleared

should i start taking folic acid from now on a daily basis?

i think i am a bit relieved now. thanks once again as i so much appreciate ur effort

Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by agaba123(m): 2:51pm On Sep 04, 2008
Yes
A woman can bleed without ovulation but the pattern of such is not regular and be due to some complication. Such a person might need to see a gynaecologist for proper diagnosis. 

I doubt you are having such a problem. My most probable bet is that you ovulate every month like most women who have regular menstrual cycle.
You might want to read this article to educate yourself more. http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2604.html

As for the folic acid, yes take on daily basis.

One more thing, check out your nipples and see if you are emitting breast milk. You may apply a little and gentle pressure. If there is any milk expressed, see your doctor. But as i said earlier, it is too early to worry about pregnancy. relax and enjoy your man. Do it at the slightest opportunity for fun sake not for the sake of procreation. It will come naturally baring any obstacles which I guess there is no reason to suspect yet.
Cheers
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by olabola(f): 3:08pm On Sep 04, 2008
@Agaba123

A big THANK YOU to you
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 11:16pm On Sep 04, 2008
@ agaba123
I appreciate your efforts to help olabola however there are three items I have to bring up. 1st anxiety has NO effect on the uterine wall 2, it is not necessary for her to manipulate her nipples. I am assuming that you are looking for signs of galactorea ( milk). She is having regular periods so it is highly improbable that she has high prolactin levels. I agree with the folic acid however the 4mg dose is give to patients with a history of a child with neural tube defect or patients who have high homocysteine levels. I agree with the rest of your assessment
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by agaba123(m): 12:02am On Sep 05, 2008
@kathy,
Thanks very much for your observation.

I was actually thinking about hyperprolactinaemia that brings about galactorhea which has been observed even with regular period.
Folic acid was previously licenced for the prevention neural tube defect, however a study carried out on 18500 women in harvard in 2006 has shown that it makes all the difference and aids conception.
About the uterine wall sorry I did not cross check my source before posting. Anxiety is still seen a opportunist factor in infertility. Though I read about the uterine stuff  somewhere and I can't seem to recollect how authentic the source is now.
Thanks once again
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by omobunkola: 9:06am On Sep 05, 2008
Pls doctor, a 2 weeks pregnant lady used fansidar combi, is the baby safe?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by agaba123(m): 1:55pm On Sep 05, 2008
omobunkola:

Please doctor, a 2 weeks pregnant lady used fansidar combi, is the baby safe?

The pyrimethamine content is a folate antagonist and that might theoritically not be good in the first trimester. There is a possibility of a teratogenic effect but there is nothing you can do now. Hopefully nothing will happen to the baby. let her continue with her folic acid given to her in the hospital. That might help to prevent any malformation.

She should see her doctor who will help calm her nerve.
Pregnant women or women who trying for a baby should not take drugs without prescription.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by ud4u: 5:47pm On Sep 05, 2008
Doctor are u still in the house?
I have a case to report.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 9:16pm On Sep 05, 2008
@agaba123
I know that you were thinking about hyperprolactinemia which is why I stated " high prolactin levels" in my reply.  As for the study, I am well aware of the correlations however it is important to remember the dosage of the folic acid given.  My goal with this thread is to answer questions framed within an easy to understand context for the non medical patient who has a question.  I don't encourage hypotheticals here.  I fully expect all advice given to be standard of care.  It is possible that you could start another thread where the physicians and other interested parties could debate recent studies.  However, this is not the purpose of this thread.

That being said, I agree with the advice given to omobunkola
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by agaba123(m): 2:19am On Sep 06, 2008
ewoo sorry ooo

no argument or debate intended ooo. just wanted to explain the basis of my advice to you. never knew that such is not welcome. keep up the good work. byeeeee
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by lsegi: 11:42am On Sep 06, 2008
please help me.i mistakenly had unprotected sex on the 16th of august after i had started my period on the 8th of august and ended on the 12th of august, although i used postinor 2 immediately after sex. am yet to see my period please am worried.am not feeling any signs as of yet.please can any 1 inform me if i mite be pregnant.thank you
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:25pm On Sep 06, 2008
@agaba123

lol! You are very welcome. However, I like to keep non standard of care issues off the thread. I started this thread because I realized a lot to people had misconceptions about ob/gyn. As you and I both know, studies come out everyday but until they are fully tested, it is not prudent to apply them to clinical care immediately. Also, I don't want a patient given advice based on information that even you can't remember where you garnered it from. That's all. smiley

P.s. What kind of physician are you and where do you practice?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:28pm On Sep 06, 2008
@isegi

It is really cutting it close depending on your cycle length. I would advise you to take a pregnancy test at the end of next week. What is the length of your cycle?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:55pm On Sep 06, 2008
@minealone

I was just reviewing the posts and realized that I never replied yours. I'm so sorry for the oversight. Few questions, how old are you? Have you ever had any uterine surgery? How long has this been going on? Are your periods painful?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 3:58pm On Sep 06, 2008
@gsawlah

It is ok to skip a period or two. How much do you weigh? Have you gained weight recently? It seems to me that you have some issues with ovulation.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by Gsawlah(f): 1:33pm On Sep 08, 2008
Dr, thanks for that.

I used to weigh 55kg. Not sure if im still on that, lately i think ve lost weight.

My last period started on the 5th of july, it skipped August and hasnt hasnt come on till this moment.

Thanks a great deal for the replies.
Lest i forget, i asked if there could be corrective measures?
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by brownbaby(f): 5:49pm On Sep 08, 2008
Dr. please what is happening to me?

I had a threatened abortion in late July i.e slight bleeding for two days 22nd & 23rd july and abdominal pain (last period was on 12th June), I had bed rest as prescribed, but on 1st August I saw blood again. Did blood and urine PT on 22nd July and 11th august which were positive. Did Pelvic scans on 22nd July and 4th August which were negative i.e nothing was seen. On 15th august saw blood again. Then on 5th Sept, did urine PT which was negative. Meanwhile i've been experiencing nausea and vomiting since late August (Once in a while though). My doctor says he is keeping me under watch but I'm fed up since he is not reaching a conclusion.

I am totally confused, I'm I pregnant, I'm I not? When is my next period/ovulation? do I need evacuation, what is missed abortion, is that what I experienced?. I'm anxious to know. My marriage is a year but i'm not too young.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by marami: 12:27pm On Sep 09, 2008
Dear kathyekiti, i really appreciate your good work in this forum.

Although i know i ovulate since i am having a regular period i.e i see my mense every month. But i find it difficult knowing the exact day i ovulate cos i dont see any EWCM, could you please help me out with this.

In addition to this I want to conceive a baby boy, how do i go about this, please.
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 11:35pm On Sep 09, 2008
@gsawlah

It depends on what your goals are. If you would like to have a child now, your gyn would probably prescribe clomid in order for you to ovulate. If you would like to defer having a child, any oral contraceptive would be enough to regulate your menses
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 11:39pm On Sep 09, 2008
@brownbaby

I understand how you feel. With a negative urine pregnancy test at this time, I doubt that you have a viable pregnancy. This being said, you still need an ultrasound to make sure that you don't have any retained products. As for when you ovulate, it is impossible to predict at this time. The hormones of the pregnancy can drastically affect your cycle. I would suggest having a serious chat with your gyn as soon as possible. Also make sure that they check your blood type. If you are Rh negative, you need a shot of rhogam. Good luck and I'm sorry for your loss
Re: Doctor In The House:Obstetrics And Gynecology by kathyekiti: 11:43pm On Sep 09, 2008
@marami

Your ovulation date is 14 days before the onset of menses. If you know the number of days in your cycle and the first day of your last menstrual cycle, it is easy to chart your ovulation dates. As for the sex of the child, one unproven yet theoretically possible way is to have sex on the exact day you ovulate. The idea being that the Y chromosome sperm are lighter, hence can travel faster to the egg.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (284) (Reply)

How Do I Calculate My Safe Period? / Anyone Trying IVF/IUI/ICSI (Fertility Treatments)? / NEW BORN BABIES! Are U A New Mum? Then Lets Discuss Babies Here!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.