Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,264 members, 7,811,736 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola (17514 Views)

SARAKI: Code of Conduct Tribunal Refuses Entry Of Journalists Into Its Premises / Mark, Ekweremadu Leave NASS Premises Without Convoy, Aides / Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Elueme: 2:06pm On Sep 12, 2012
76Naira: If you don't like the rules, go to "your own state".

Fly into Lagos and see how the outskirts look like shit.
We complain about the government not doing enough but how many homes in Lagos actually do their part?

Nigeria is inhabited & governed by Nigerians; neither of these is outsourced. Help fix the country or keep running abroad as second class in most cases.
I hope you will be sincere enough to make this considerate judgement when it's not Fashola or it's allies in the front row? I know you would have commanded hea en's fall if GEJ is te one abusing every thing the law stands for. Good you concur that the business of fixing the nation is not only government's responsibility but Nigerians indeed have a role to play.. So put the country at large in perspective and appreciate that the govt at the central is trying their best
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by naturalwaves: 2:14pm On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva: All this laws will make that a huge chunk of Lagosians will end up in jail because these laws are not only alien but are not suitable for a country like Nigeria where basic social amenities are not readily available. I understand that the Fashola administration is trying to make Lagos work like cities like New York, London, Chicago, Tokyo and other first world cities, but they have to understand the quality of social amenities in Lagos compared to those other cities are embarassing. The quality of life here is ridiculous compared to those cities. The level of enlightenment is negatively astronomical. It's imperative that we take things one step at a time. This laws will only make more Lagosians to be in prison than in their homes. Though i commend Fashola's resolve to make Lagos a law....state.

How does d presence of social ammenities affect a simple hygienic practice of cleaning and beautifying d enviroment? undecided and what makes d law alien? Is it that U don't want to move forward or what? What do U mean by 'd level of enlightment is negatively astronomical? If U meant d level of enlightment of d citizens,one does not need a University degree to understand simple set down laws and if U meant d leven of enlightment on/of d law,BRF always do that(through all d media channels) to ensure everyone is well informed about any law before it(the law) takes it's course.Infact,anyone that wants any instant enlightment can just tune in to d Lagos Tv LTV and obtain such.So,what are U trying to say? undecided.D Lagos we av now is totally difft from the one we had years back and this is due to d 'never say die' attitude of d governor in making sure that Lagosians live and behave like sane people from other parts of d world.U need to go to a mega city like Kano and see d level of lawlessness and dirtiness there.Lagos state wouldn't be in anyway difft from that(kano) if not for d excellent leadership of BRF.It is wrong and illogical to say that d law will make a large chunk of people end up in jail.Anyone that doesn't want to go to jail should obey the law.Simple!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Revolva(m): 2:22pm On Sep 12, 2012
Omo na wa oo are these people using style to chase people out of lagos - hey and all those parks sef na only for island dem plenty what of mushin ijora badia, amukoko, ajegunle area and other thickly populated area of lagos nkor dem no dey build park and plant trees ---
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Crown128(m): 2:27pm On Sep 12, 2012
It is a good policy if i must say. Let's consider other policies of BRF that is backed by the law people tend to adhere to them because it's not everybody that can afford to pay fines in order not to go to jail,more importantly let's look at Oshodi,Ojota,Bergger,Agege,Computer village,e.t.c and the traffic situations of Lagos state in general, you will see that things are really changing for better though we're not there yet but i know if we can still have a leader that will follow his policies and goals we will get there one day.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by thelastPope(m): 2:38pm On Sep 12, 2012
Oyibo say "you can't eat your cake and have it"

On one hand, you shout that Lagos should be decongested and people should leave Lagos.

On the other hand, you kick against relocating of airport and seaport traffic to other states. Hmmm

If you want to decongest Lagos, simply advocate the following:

60 percent of seaport traffic should be redirected to calabar, Akwa Ibom, warri, sapele

50 percent of airport traffic should also move.

Embassies should setup liasons in at least 10 other states.

Headquaters of FG agencies should be relocated to states where their industries are. E.g. Nepa to Lokoja and NNPC to PH or Warri or Uyo. Ministry of Mines to Niger or one other states where you have heavy mineral deposits.

Then give Lagos five years and you will see a natural decongestion

You say you want decongestion and when multinationals come into Nigeria, you still allocate offices to them in VI. So people who work for these companies, should be coming to work from their home states. The foolishness of many here is that they think people really care about staying in Lagos. Anyone who thinks like that just shows he or she hasn't really travelled anywhere in Nigeria. Lagos is one of the worst places to stay in Nigeria. Its just stressfull chaotic and dirty. The only reason people stay here is because their businesses don't get enough patronage else where. Most will gladly and hurriedly leave once opportunities come up in their home states. The best places to live in Nigeria are Enugu, KD, Jos before the crisis, Calabar. Then if you don't like much noise, Uyo, Owerri, Makurdi. Lagos is not even number 10 on my list if other places can open up business wise.

3 Likes

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by elari(m): 2:52pm On Sep 12, 2012
isn't this the same Fashola that made something about mandarin and cantonese being taught in Lagos schools? Hehehe! Some people are high on something being imported from colombia and run by the mafiaso.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Aderostock(m): 2:53pm On Sep 12, 2012
Nigerians are the only set of people that dont want to change. When Obama was campaigning, he told americans that they need to change and there is changing. When u keep doing the same thing dont xpect a change but Fashola has shown us the defination of a 'change'. He is the only governor in Nigeria that is doing what all leaders have not done. He is best we have! Please let Nigerians support in taking lagos to whatever height. Pleaseeeeeeeee
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by tatosh: 3:01pm On Sep 12, 2012
pro01: This man is fast becoming a lunatic, perhaps intoxicated by his executive powers as governor. I have since lost all regard for him. You can't just go about criminalising every ridiculous thing you deem fit. Not even in the heyday of Abacha's tyranny did we witness such reckless abuse of state power.

Smoking in my own car is now a criminal offence, refusing to wear an unhygenic and filthy public helmet when using an 'Okada' is now a criminal offence. Refusing to 'beautify' (by whose standards?) my own house is also now a criminal offence. Is this guy a bloody m0ron? I thought this oaf was supposed to be learned?

If you take another look at what you just wrote you'll realise that you're the lunatic. In fact you're insane. Nigerians want a beautiful and organized environment but don't want to play any role in achieving this. How do u think they western world got to where they are? Its because they made laws for every damn thing in their environment which people abide by. So dear slowpoke, if u don't like Lagos laws you can go live in Mowe
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Kobojunkie: 3:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
Sam Milla: I am advicing the Lagos state government to start building more prisons or rather convert MAULAG to a prison.
The rate at which they are speeding towards chaos is alarming..

[size=15pt]You dont threaten people with prisons[/size], you draw a plan, give them orientations(incentives even), help them implement it and everybody is happy.

Na wa oo!!

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by thelastPope(m): 3:16pm On Sep 12, 2012
I don't understand how ACN supporters here think it is ok for Fashola to pass these draconian laws but it was not ok for the military and OBJ to do same.

It is sad how people can be so partisan. They were here commending Tinubu for going for democratic party convention and yet Tinibu is not a democrat and defends his undemocratic stance publicly. Now they say these draconian laws are excellent. Sad. These laws will be rightly thrown out the window if they are contested in a court of law.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 12, 2012
Bad policy even a lot of them here shouting good policy will fall prey to this policys.
Nigerians will remain Nigerians
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Baawaa(m): 3:23pm On Sep 12, 2012
A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent.Fashola,you are a leader!!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by tpia5: 3:24pm On Sep 12, 2012
just beautify your premises, people.

if you need tips, ask.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by bluejeff(m): 3:29pm On Sep 12, 2012
choi ! pple wey dey sell flowers don hammer !
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 12, 2012
good idea. but they should also put a law that deal with the free movement of domestic animals. otherwise, goats, sheep and rams will eat all the flowers and poo on the roads.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Gbawe: 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2012
I understand what has motivated Fashola to make this law. Many parts of Lagos are embarrassing eyesores because Private home owners are not interested in fulfilling their unspoken social contract of maintaining the looks of their homes as part of contribution to a beautiful environment.

Nonetheless, from a realistic perspective, this will be very difficult to enforce. Lagosians, in my experience, deem well-kept homes low on the list of priority of what to do with money. That attitude won't change overnight but I wish Fashola luck.

This is one of those situation where one appreciates the position of both sides. Fashola wants a City that looks the best it can and Lagosians , contending with hideous overpopulation and paucity of funds, simply place home improvement very low on their list of things to do with money.

Ask to help Lagosian relative, and I have done it several times, improve their rented homes and they will flatly refuse. "Instead of upgrading someone elses house, give me the money for my pressing needs" is the response you will get. Most Landlords will never renovate with their own funds either. Ditto for even private home owners. Gridlock. The result is a City that looks like crap because folks, on all side of the fence, don't care. Good luck Governor Fashola. This is one of your policies I believe will be unsuccessful because it is ahead of its time economically and attitudinally. Yet I hope I am wrong because you are one of Nigeria's most effective leaders.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Timijo(m): 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2012
Sam Milla: I am advicing the Lagos state government to start building more prisons or rather convert MAULAG to a prison.
The rate at which they are speeding towards chaos is alarming..

You dont threaten people with prisons, you draw a plan, give them orientations, help them implement it and everybody is happy.
That is it, the populace should be enlightened on the importance of any government policy and not to threaten them with any form of hard punishment. This is democracy era.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by express101: 4:14pm On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

Maybe, the federal government needs to build new cities in all the geopolitical zones and entice people there... There are wasteland scattered around Nigeria and the government can help by transforming those areas into new cities...

God forbid a natural disaster happens in Lagos, the loss of lives would make Port-au-Prince look like child's play..
I agree with you that the fed govt should play a role in decongesting Lagos and growing other cities. Through Regulation, the govt can choose the most expedient places to site organisations devoid of politics. Call Centres for instance should rather be in more low-cost cities and towns other than Lagos. That way, their not-so-huge pay would go much farther. Govt def has a role in tackling this problem
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by YomiKaycee: 4:20pm On Sep 12, 2012
To BRF: Tar my street or go to jail! my street is unmotorable, no drainage system, hence constantly waterlogged yet i pay as much as 70k as tax.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by truth4meal(m): 4:21pm On Sep 12, 2012
another increment evident in house rent; no thanks to this law
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 12, 2012
dabossman:

Actually, he is learned. Anything can be criminalized if backed by the law. Even whistling in a public place can become a criminal offense if passed into law. Governor Fashola is actually using his knowledge of the legal practice and constitution to create laws through the state legislature to achieve his governments goals. He is acting within the law. Sorry!

Not so fast bros. Not anything can be criminalised, especially not in a democracy. The exercise of fundamental rights, within prescribed boundaries, for instance, cannot be criminalised - moreso as it is guaranteed by the constitution.

In any case, the constituion, as I'm very sure you know, is the grundnorm, which is superior to all other laws in the land. Since the constitution guarantees my personal liberty and freedom, I can argue that any law by a state government criminalising my refusal to 'decorate' my private residence is a negation of the constitution and is therefore null to the extent of it's inconsistency with the latter.

I think it's incorrect to suggest that anything is 'legal' simply because it has been passed into law. There is such a thing as an illegal law, and precedents/examples abound. If anyone has the time and resources to challenge this 'beautification' aspect of the new law, I reckon it would be easy to convince the courts that it violates constitutional provisions and is therefore unconstitutional. Fashola ought to know this. . .which I why I had to wonder how 'learned' he really is.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Johndoe100(m): 4:26pm On Sep 12, 2012
thelastPope: I don't understand how ACN supporters here think it is ok for Fashola to pass these draconian laws but it was not ok for the military and OBJ to do same.

It is sad how people can be so partisan. They were here commending Tinubu for going for democratic party convention and yet Tinibu is not a democrat and defends his undemocratic stance publicly. Now they say these draconian laws are excellent. Sad. These laws will be rightly thrown out the window if they are contested in a court of law.

I am very happy that at least there are still people who can see clearly.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 4:37pm On Sep 12, 2012
Another question that should be asked is: Who's responsibility is it to beautify the premises. Is it that of the Landlord or the Tenants.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by DuduNegro: 4:54pm On Sep 12, 2012
Lmao! Fashola is crazy....he is getting intoxicated in his successes. Slow down my dear governor!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 12, 2012
Biggyd2:
The Lagos State Government on Tuesday said it was now mandatory for occupiers of houses in the state to beautify the perimeter areas of their buildings.

The government said a violation of this would attract N250, 000 or the amount the state would incur if it decides to carry out the beautification, or six months imprisonment or other non-custodian sentences.

It added that anyone caught felling trees in the state or trimming them without permission would be fined a minimum of N50, 000 or sent to one year imprisonment.

Commissioner for the Environment, Mr. Tunji Bello, stated this at the inauguration of the Lagos State Parks and Gardens Agency at Alausa, Ikeja.

He said, “It is also an offence to walk on lawns and gardens. Urinating, defecating in any of the parks, gardens and open spaces; loitering or soliciting for illegal purposes, smoking and dumping refuse among others in the parks are also offences.”

The commissioner said the government had demonstrated commitment to environmental transformation by its massive greening programmes and would not relent in making the environment more beautiful.

He said the establishment of LASPARK was to create a structure for the beautification and landscaping of open spaces in the state as government had done with other agencies like LAWMA and LASAA.

He added that the state’s Parks and Garden Law of 2011 would enable the agency to function and build on the solid foundation laid by the Conservative and Ecology Department of the ministry.

He said, “As a matter of fact, we are structuring the state in such a way that ministries would formulate policies while agencies would implement and sustain them. We have about 89 agencies in the state and they are all performing well. Other states in the country are understudying them.

“LASPARK will maintain and manage all designated parks and gardens; carry out the general directives and policies of government in respect of parks and recreation centres among other duties.

“We are going to make the law available so that everybody will know what is expected of them. But we will not enforce the law now. We will do so after the traffic law is up and running.”

The General Manager of LASPARK, Olukunle Sotade, said the agency intended to collaborate with all sectors of the economy to build on the good foundation of the CE department.

He urged Lagosians to support the agency to succeed by obeying the parks and garden law.

http://www.punchng.com/news/beautify-your-premises-or-go-to-jail-lagos/
A welcomed development, pls try and enforce it! Liked wink
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by kumbalo(m): 5:47pm On Sep 12, 2012
If the govt. fixes the roads that leads to my house in ikorodu, then i will do more than beutification. Afterall it's in my own interest until then just shut the f*uk up!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by akin23(m): 5:48pm On Sep 12, 2012
IS A GOOD POLICY BUT THE LESS PRIVILEGE.... AREAS SHOULD BE GIVEN MORE TIME TO UNDERSTAND THE LAWS AND ALSO PROPER ORIENTATION FOR WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM, SOCIETY NEEDS BOLD LEADERS AND THINKERS WHO ARE ABLE TO TAKE BOLD INITIATES TO ENHANCES THE OVERALL WELFARE AND LIVING ENVIRONMENT OF THE SOCIETY, THUS WITHOUT SUCH LAWS THE SOCIETY COULD NOT MOVE FORWARD.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Gbawe: 5:52pm On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva: Another question that should be asked is: Who's responsibility is it to beautify the premises. Is it that of the Landlord or the Tenants.

Very, very grey area worsened by entrenched attitude and factors such as the population density of Lagos. A landlord may never redecorate because the hideous over-population means there is always someone available to rent his place however unkept. The tenant too will never do it because of intrinsic attitude that makes it almost taboo to improve a home he does not own.

In the end anyone, whether Landlord or tenant, concerned about living in a clean and presentable environment should redecorate. With Nigerians always determined to get the better of others, due to the social conditioning gained in a "survival of the fittest" environment, no one is prepared to pick up the redecorating tab. Result? The eyesore much of Lagos is.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by 2Mekus: 6:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
May God neva let this man rule Nigeria. He wl become worse than Abacha. Why must all his declarations be with unbridled threat. Does Lagos belong to his Father? DESPOT.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Sike(m): 6:21pm On Sep 12, 2012
A Very Bad Good Policy.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by dammytosh: 6:23pm On Sep 12, 2012
What a draconic law ? Although i won't be surprised if some people commend it because they never see anything wrong with anything ACN from the Obama Lies to 1billion per KM road to mention a few.

I think the new rule is , if you want to act silly and go uncriticized, join ACN.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Presidency Outlines Buhari’s Achievements / JUST IN: Buhari Sets Targets For Incoming Ministers / Aregbesola Orders Redeployment Of Prison Officers Who ‘Cannot Shoot To Kill’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.