Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,039 members, 7,810,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola (17507 Views)

SARAKI: Code of Conduct Tribunal Refuses Entry Of Journalists Into Its Premises / Mark, Ekweremadu Leave NASS Premises Without Convoy, Aides / Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by phantom(m): 11:06am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

Not exactly the same with Lagos... The population of Abuja isn't even up to a million, while Lagos has almost doubled in the last 7-10 years... The population of Lagos should be about 15 million now, and it's like one of the smallest states in Nigeria(if not the smallest)... It's just too much...
abuja less than a million?? shocked shocked......abuja population wey don dey hit 5 million

@OP....oga fash please do the roads in lagos or go to jail! grin

2 Likes

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 11:06am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

That's FCT, just like certain areas in Lagos are not for the poor... Abuja has satellite towns in its proximity, why can't people move there?? Almost everything in Lagos(and more) except the ports is in Abuja, and the satellite towns and neighbouring states are cheaper than Lagos and those places have easy access(in realtime with good roads) to the FCT... But everyone stays trooping to Lagos because of the hype..

No other city in the world has the same population explosion Lagos is experiencing, it's just too much - and the people are indirectly making life hard for themselves... The higher the demand, the higher the price you have to pay - hence why everything is so pricey in Lagos...

London provides opportunity for everyone and has things most other cities don't have, but you don't see people trooping there - because they make things happen wherever they live... The only people trooping to London are the immigrants... People can make things happen anywhere they live, and the internet has made it easy for everyone.
People go to cities because there's something to get from those cities and Abuja does not offer that opportunity. Abuja is a political city and not a commercial or an industrial city, so you don't expect people to move there in droves. On the other hand, lagos is a commercial hub. This where almost everything good about Nigeria is.

Cities in Asia and south America are also experiencing the same population explosion that's happening in lagos. MUmbai(Bombay), Bangladesh, Dhaka and Rio De Janeiro are typical examples.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Desola(f): 11:07am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Abuja was not built for the middle class not to talk of the poor. There was a concerted and deliberate effort made by the government that moved the capital to keep away poor and middle class people from Abuja. So far, they've succeeded in doing that to a greater extent. lagos on the other hand is an all comers affair. Whether you're rich, middle-class, poor, beggar, designer, trader, web programmer, white, collar, blue collar, yellow collar, purple collar, agbero, kidnapper, rapistts etc. Lagos provides the opporutnity for everyone.

what a lame excuse for a parasitical offspring. You claim that your ram shackles are better and that you have this and that, yet your states are not viable for you to thrive. We have Abuja and yet its the same lame excuse. Even if you lot have the volt for Nigeria in your backyard, you'd still continue to troop to Lagos. It's just the greed in you and the inferiority complex that it has to be Yorubaland to be better. Admit it, you lot see us as demigod. Oloshi!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Sogo10: 11:08am On Sep 12, 2012
And is he gonna force pple to do dat.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by dnawah(m): 11:08am On Sep 12, 2012
No matter wat Lagos will still be waa!Ajehule owa!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Desola(f): 11:08am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
People go to cities because there's something to get from those cities and Abuja does not offer that opportunity. Abuja is a political city and not a commercial or an industrial city, so you don't expect people to move there in droves. On the other hand, lagos is a commercial hub. This where almost everything good about Nigeria is.

Cities in Asia and south America are also experiencing the same population explosion that's happening in lagos. MUmbai(Bombay), Bangladesh, Dhaka and Rio De Janeiro are typical examples.

koshi lo sabule e jo, omo okrika oshi!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 11:10am On Sep 12, 2012
Desola:

what a lame excuse for a parasitical offspring. You claim that your ram shackles are better and that you have this and that, yet your states are not viable for you to thrive. We have Abuja and yet its the same lame excuse. Even if you lot have the volt for Nigeria in your backyard, you'd still continue to troop to Lagos. It's just the greed in you and the inferiority complex that it has to be Yorubaland to be better. Admit it, you lot see us as demigod. Oloshi!
You're a foool. What has the topic in hand got to do with Yorubaland? Even though Lagos is Yorubaland, when someone hears about Lagos, the last thing that comes to the person's mind is Yorubaland. I don't know when you folks will quit calling people parasites and taking credit for something that was not only due to your ingenuity. Fvck off if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 12, 2012
phantom:
abuja less than a million?? shocked shocked......abuja population wey don dey hit 5 million

@OP....oga fash please do the roads in lagos or go to jail! grin

Bwahahaha

The population of Abuja isn't that much, check the last population census in Nigeria... Google is your friend..
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by kosire(m): 11:13am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva: All this laws will make that a huge chunk of Lagosians will end up in jail because these laws are not only alien but are not suitable for a country like Nigeria where basic social amenities are not readily available. I understand that the Fashola administration is trying to make Lagos work like cities like New York, London, Chicago, Tokyo and other first world cities, but they have to understand the quality of social amenities in Lagos compared to those other cities are embarassing. The quality of life here is ridiculous compared to those cities. The level of enlightenment is negatively astronomical. It's imperative that we take things one step at a time. This laws will only make more Lagosians to be in prison than in their homes. Though i commend Fashola's resolve to make Lagos a law....state.
TALKING ABOUT SOCIAL AMENITIES, WE MUST HAVE TO REALISE THAT "A PIG WILL ALWAYS BE A PIG NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO TO IT". I THINK IS HIGH TIME WE STARTED ACTING LIKE RATIONAL BEINGS AND NOT ANIMALS.THEN WHEN IT COMES TO WHETHER THIS IS THE RIGHT TIME FOR SUCH POLICY, I THINK ANYTIME IS GOOD FOR ANY GOOD VENTURE AND REMENBER, WE MUST START FROM SOMEWHERE.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 11:13am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

Bwahahaha

The population of Abuja isn't that much, check the last population census in Nigeria... Google is your friend..
According to the last census, the population of Abuja was put at about 2.5 million.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by sigmundfreud(m): 11:15am On Sep 12, 2012
...soon dem go make law say make person no f*art sef!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by muffins99(f): 11:16am On Sep 12, 2012
Sam Milla: I am advicing the Lagos state government to start building more prisons or rather convert MAULAG to a prison.
The rate at which they are speeding towards chaos is alarming..

You dont threaten people with prisons, you draw a plan, give them orientations, help them implement it and everybody is happy.

You're quite right. If indeed he wants Lagos to look like Dubai, Tokyo, LA, etc, I don't know much about the these places but I doubt that they throw people in jail for not 'beautifing' their premises.

Besides what does he mean by 'beautify'. Is it a paint job and a few potted plants (especially in poor areas where houses are crammed together with little or no space to plant anything) or does it mean paint job + new roof + proper waste disposal units + garden. The rich people in Ikeja, leki, etc may already know what is required but the poor people in say, mushin will need help. Maybe he could bring together a small group of landscapters and gardeners (thereby creating employment) and ask people to consult with them for a small fee(say N100); and maybe offer discounted/ free paint to people earing below a certain amount. He also needs to review the fines.
Alternatively, he could enforce compulsory purchase of some neighbourhood, get in developers to rebuild and then sell/let to the public- maybe someone on NL can confirm if they think this will work.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 11:17am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:

The population of Mumbai is 12,478,447, in a country of more than a billion people.

Sao Paulo is the most populated city in Brazil at 11,316,149 in a country of more then 200 million people, and the population has always been massive and not growing the way Lagos is..

Nigerians also need to help Lagos and not kill the city... Save Lagos!!! grin grin
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
You're a foool. What has the topic in hand got to do with Yorubaland? Even though Lagos is Yorubaland, when someone hears about Lagos, the last thing that comes to the person's mind is Yorubaland. I don't know when you folks will quit calling people parasites and taking credit for something that was not only due to your ingenuity. Fvck off if you don't have anything meaningful to contribute.
hmm! She really needs to fucck off! Bigotry isn't needed in this topic at all.

2 Likes

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
According to the last census, the population of Abuja was put at about 2.5 million.

I doubt it's 2.5 million, but that's just too small and most of the people there also live in Lagos... It needs to take another 2.5million from Lagos - and states like Rivers, Enugu, Kogi, Ondo, Cross Rivers, and Delta need to take at least a million each off Lagos... Those are viable states where people can live as well..
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 11:23am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

The population of Mumbai is 12,478,447, in a country of more than a billion people.

Sao Paulo is the most populated city in Brazil at 11,316,149 in a country of more then 200 million people, and the population has always been massive and not growing the way Lagos is..

Nigerians also need to help Lagos and not kill the city... Save Lagos!!! grin grin
You have a point there. While i think those cities are experiencing population explosion, i don't think it's as bad as it is in Lagos. And i think it's because we run a very centralised kind of government. Things were better during the regional days where every region had a big city. Lagos was the capita. The West had Ibadan, the East had Enugu, the Mid West had Benin, The North had kano and Kaduna. But since we threw that system of governance into the trash can, those cities have stopped growing. There's really nothing that will attract that average Nigerian to those cities. Right now, If you're not in Lagos and to a lesser extent in Port-hacourt or Abuja, then you're nowhere.

2 Likes

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by onyeego(m): 11:23am On Sep 12, 2012
Soon Lagos will become a DETENTION CAMP,with d rate this gov is going;i see a future of Human rights Abuses.
But wetin concern me concern Eko sef tongue
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 11:24am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

I doubt it's 2.5 million, but that's just too small and most of the people there also live in Lagos... It needs to take another 2.5million from Lagos - and states like Rivers, Enugu, Kogi, Ondo, Cross Rivers, and Delta need to take at least a million each off Lagos... Those are viable states where people can live as well..
Tell me what will attract people from Lagos to those states you mentioned.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nightshift(m): 11:26am On Sep 12, 2012
Mr Fashola should also put the perhaps over 25 billion mosquitoes in Lagos to jail by building underground sewage canals, closing the city's dirty gutters, cleaning dozens of ponds and open canals which the malaria-spreading fly use as breeding paradise .

2 Likes

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 11:27am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
You have a point there. While i think those cities are experiencing population explosion, i don't think it's as bad as it is in Lagos. And i think it's because we run a very centralised kind of government. Things were better during the regional days where every region had a big city. Lagos was the capita. The West had Ibadan, the East had Enugu, the Mid West had Benin, The North had kano and Kaduna. But since we threw that system of governance into the trash can, those cities have stopped growing. There's really nothing that will attract that average Nigerian to those cities. Right now, If you're not in Lagos and to a lesser extent in Port-hacourt or Abuja, then you're nowhere.

Maybe, the federal government needs to build new cities in all the geopolitical zones and entice people there... There are wasteland scattered around Nigeria and the government can help by transforming those areas into new cities...

God forbid a natural disaster happens in Lagos, the loss of lives would make Port-au-Prince look like child's play..
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 11:29am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

Maybe, the federal government needs to build new cities in all the geopolitical zones and entice people there... There are wastelands scattered around Nigeria and the government can help by transforming those areas into new cities...

God forbid a natural disaster happens in Lagos, the loss of lives would make Port-au-Prince look like child's play..
I've been thinking about this for some time now. lagos is very smaall in land mass but has a huge population. Just imagine an earthquake or Hurricane(God forbid) in Lagos. Our best brains, human resources, infrastructures etc will be wasted. We have to decentralize and fast.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 11:31am On Sep 12, 2012
I think every region should have at least two habitable cities that will have all the typical trappings of a city. We know Enugu and Calabar are beautiful. But who wants to live in a beautiful city that has no money. People will rather live in the Lagos, Onitsha, Aba, Ibadan and port-hacourts of this world.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by ceejay80s(m): 11:34am On Sep 12, 2012
miteolu: Fashola should fund such project because is not all the house owners that have the good financial status.
A LANDLORD SPEAKING....
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
Tell me what will attract people from Lagos to those states you mentioned.

Ondo is an oil producing state and the state is working. It's cheaper to live there... Enugu has almost everything going for it... Rivers has almost everything Lagos has(port, airport etc..), and it's an oil producing state... Cross Rivers is beautiful and sparsely populated; it also has Tinapa and other things... Kogi is just too massive to be sparsely populated, get the Ajaokuta steel working, and get people there to work...

People can also make things happen for themselves and turn those places to what they want them to be... You don't need to wait for government to always make everywhere lively, people can do that themselves... It's just that the average Nigerian is lazy and everyone wants the 'shortcut' to better life...
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Afam4eva(m): 11:44am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

Ondo is an oil producing state and the state is working. It's cheaper to live there... Enugu has almost everything going for it... Rivers has almost everything Lagos has(port, airport etc..), and it's an oil producing state... Cross Rivers is beautiful and sparsely populated; it also has Tinapa and other things... Kogi is just too massive to be sparsely populated, get the Ajaokuta steel working, and get people there to work...

People can also make things happen for themselves and turn those places to what they want them to be... You don't need to wait for government to always make everywhere lively, people can do that themselves... It's just that the average Nigerian is lazy and everyone wants the 'shortcut' to better life...
It's really not about the lazyness of Nigerians. It's just that just about everything good are not in these cities you posted. The best way for government to decentralize the country and make other parts of the country attractive is to move some of the industries in lagos to other states. Why should our main international airport, seaport, white collar, blue collar, headquarters of everything good, entertainment(music, movies). Everything that makes a country work is concentrated in one city. I don't think that's right. Take for instance in America where everything is decentralized. Despite the fact that DC is the capital of America, it's not one of the prefered destinations for Americans. people go to places that will compement their interest. if you're a model, a business person or a musician(hip hop rap), you go to New York. if you're into movies, you go and live in hollywood. if you like beaches, you head to Miami, Honolulu, or Malibu. If you do rock music, you go to Nashville. If you're into oil, you go to Houston, texas. That's how things are supposed to be.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Bawss1(m): 11:56am On Sep 12, 2012
shymexx:

Bwahahaha

The population figures for Abuja were from the 2006 census, thats 6 years ago!

I don't have the links to the this yet but sometime ago the FCT minister was said to have given the present population(based on projections) to be somewhere around 5 million. Besides anyone living in Abuja will find those early figures laughable.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by lukkie(m): 11:59am On Sep 12, 2012
Sam Milla: I am advicing the Lagos state government to start building more prisons or rather convert MAULAG to a prison.
The rate at which they are speeding towards chaos is alarming..

You dont threaten people with prisons, you draw a plan, give them orientations, help them implement it and everybody is happy.

That's in a s.ane society. Nigerians are in.sane.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 12, 2012
omayyi :
Furthermore, something needs to be done to curtail the population explosion in lagos. Something like visa requirement before u come to lagos. That place is too congested.

Na your type go still dey apply for visa lottery
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 12, 2012
afam4eva:
It's really not about the lazyness of Nigerians. It's just that just about everything good are not in these cities you posted. The best way for government to decentralize the country and make other parts of the country attractive is to move some of the industries in lagos to other states. Why should our main international airport, seaport, white collar, blue collar, headquarters of everything good, entertainment(music, movies). Everything that makes a country work is concentrated in one city. I don't think that's right. Take for instance in America where everything is decentralized. Despite the fact that DC is the capital of America, it's not one of the prefered destinations for Americans. people go to places that will compement their interest. if you're a model, a business person or a musician(hip hop rap), you go to New York. if you're into movies, you go and live in hollywood. if you like beaches, you head to Miami, Honolulu, or Malibu. If you do rock music, you go to Nashville. If you're into oil, you go to Houston, . That's how things are supposed to be.

There's nothing to move out of Lagos - Lagos is the financial capital of Nigeria, just as London, New York, Tokyo, Paris etc.. are in their various countries, and it should remain like that... People need to start patronising other cities and stop blaming the government and Lagos... Port Harcourt and Abuja have international airports, how come people don't travel from there??

Rivers, Delta, and Cross Rivers have seaports, how come people don't patronise those places??

All the states in Nigeria along the coast have beaches, how come people are not going there?

Lagos didn't create the entertainment industry in Nigeria, the people brought it there - the people also need to take it out of there...

Texas has the oil but the companies are still registered on the New York stock exchange, and they probably have their headquarters in New York. However, you don't see everyone from Texas flocking to New York...

It's the people and their lazy mentalities - make things happen wherever you're... Some cocoa farmers are richer than most of the people in Lagos - yet they live and make their money in those states you asserted that there are no opportunities...

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 12, 2012
Bawss1:
The population figures for Abuja were from the 2006 census, thats 6 years ago!

I don't have the links to the this yet but sometime ago the FCT minister was said to have given the present population(based on projections) to be somewhere around 5 million. Besides anyone living in Abuja will find those early figures laughable.

Projection isn't real figures, you can't use projection to ascertain population growth in a country like Nigeria where everything happens in a spontaneous manner. And with the boko haram madness in the North, the projection is definitely a fallacy... Abuja looks sparsely populated.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by jmaine: 12:09pm On Sep 12, 2012
Nightshift: Mr Fashola should also put the perhaps over 25 billion mosquitoes in Lagos to jail by building underground sewage canals, closing the city's dirty gutters, cleaning dozens of ponds and open canals which the malaria-spreading fly use as breeding paradise .

Lol . .But the good news is that in Lagos, you rarely find the Anopheles spps who are vectors of the malaria causing pathogens . . .they ( Anopheles), are clearly minute in the scheme of things . . .

Relief huh !! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Controversial N4.5billion Yatch Hotel Disappears From Lagos. / Buhari Salutes Victorious Olympics Soccer Team / 2019 Poll: Obasanjo’s Camp In Dilemma Over Choice Of Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.