Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:15 AM

Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola (17511 Views)

SARAKI: Code of Conduct Tribunal Refuses Entry Of Journalists Into Its Premises / Mark, Ekweremadu Leave NASS Premises Without Convoy, Aides / Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by thelastPope(m): 6:24pm On Sep 12, 2012
2Mekus: May God neva let this man rule Nigeria. He wl become worse than Abacha. Why must all his declarations be with unbridled threat. Does Lagos belong to his Father? DESPOT.

Lol. I can categorically tell you that Fashola will not last 3 months as president of Nigeria. It is because he has never really faced any heat from Lagos residents. The last time he faced a little heat from doctors, he bungled it and had to swallow his vomit. Nigeria will swallow him head first. Just imagine what peeps in sokoto, kd, owerri or zamfara will think of such commands. There is something called reorientation and its something that takes time but can work. Issuing commands in a democracy is laughable. It will only work in an environment where people are timid. Telling people who are on an 18k minimum wage to beautify their environment or go to jail or pay 250k fine is just a big joke.

4 Likes

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by kumbalo(m): 6:31pm On Sep 12, 2012
pro01:

Not so fast bros. Not anything can be criminalised, especially not in a democracy. The exercise of fundamental rights, within prescribed boundaries, for instance, cannot be criminalised - moreso as it is guaranteed by the constitution.

In any case, the constituion, as I'm very sure you know, is the grundnorm, which is superior to all other laws in the land. Since the constitution guarantees my personal liberty and freedom, I can argue that any law by a state government criminalising my refusal to 'decorate' my private residence is a negation of the constitution and is therefore null to the extent of it's inconsistency with the latter.

I think it's incorrect to suggest that anything is 'legal' simply because it has been passed into law. There is such a thing as an illegal law, and precedents/examples abound. If anyone has the time and resources to challenge this 'beautification' aspect of the new law, I reckon it would be easy to convince the courts that it violates constitutional provisions and is therefore unconstitutional. Fashola ought to know this. . .which I why I had to wonder how 'learned' he really is.
Fashola is playing on the ignorance of nigerians. Those representing us at the legislativbelieve evrything he does is right. The mostly affected would be the lower and the middleclass. Who will fight our fights?
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by kumbalo(m): 6:31pm On Sep 12, 2012
pro01:

Not so fast bros. Not anything can be criminalised, especially not in a democracy. The exercise of fundamental rights, within prescribed boundaries, for instance, cannot be criminalised - moreso as it is guaranteed by the constitution.

In any case, the constituion, as I'm very sure you know, is the grundnorm, which is superior to all other laws in the land. Since the constitution guarantees my personal liberty and freedom, I can argue that any law by a state government criminalising my refusal to 'decorate' my private residence is a negation of the constitution and is therefore null to the extent of it's inconsistency with the latter.

I think it's incorrect to suggest that anything is 'legal' simply because it has been passed into law. There is such a thing as an illegal law, and precedents/examples abound. If anyone has the time and resources to challenge this 'beautification' aspect of the new law, I reckon it would be easy to convince the courts that it violates constitutional provisions and is therefore unconstitutional. Fashola ought to know this. . .which I why I had to wonder how 'learned' he really is.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by naturalwaves: 6:32pm On Sep 12, 2012
Gbawe: I understand what has motivated Fashola to make this law. Many parts of Lagos are embarrassing eyesores because Private home owners are not interested in fulfilling their unspoken social contract of maintaining the looks of their homes as part of contribution to a beautiful environment.

Nonetheless, from a realistic perspective, this will be very difficult to enforce. Lagosians, in my experience, deem well-kept homes low on the list of priority of what to do with money. That attitude won't change overnight but I wish Fashola luck.

This is one of those situation where one appreciates the position of both sides. Fashola wants a City that looks the best it can and Lagosians , contending with hideous overpopulation and paucity of funds, simply place home improvement very low on their list of things to do with money.

Ask to help Lagosian relative, and I have done it several times, improve their rented homes and they will flatly refuse. "Instead of upgrading someone elses house, give me the money for my pressing needs" is the response you will get. Most Landlords will never renovate with their own funds either. Ditto for even private home owners. Gridlock. The result is a City that looks like crap because folks, on all side of the fence, don't care. Good luck Governor Fashola. This is one of your policies I believe will be unsuccessful because it is ahead of its time economically and attitudinally. Yet I hope I am wrong because you are one of Nigeria's most effective leaders.

Hmmmmm......What a brilliant writeup!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Tokotaya: 6:32pm On Sep 12, 2012
If you give beggars money, you are going to jail. If you jump the red light, you are going to jail. If you ride okada on major roads, you are going to jail. If you drive against traffic, you are going to jail etc. Fashola repeat after me: 'Enacting a law does not make a problem go away.' Roll up your sleeves, muster enough political will and mobilise your lieutenants to enforce reasonable law consistently. That is the secret.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by codedguy1(m): 6:40pm On Sep 12, 2012
Fashola has no right to tell people to beautify their sorroundings, besides beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. How does he know what people consider as beautiful. He only has a right to tell residents to make sure their environment and premises are clean and tidy, abi the beautification and cleanliness now havethe same meaning?

If I have a plain wall in front of my house and it is kept clean, then that's how I want it, but with this law some scroungy official will expect me draw some designs on the wall, thus fulfilling this obnoxious law.

I owe the state cleanliness not beautification as they want to see it.

3 Likes

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Gbawe: 7:01pm On Sep 12, 2012
dammytosh: What a draconic law ? Although i won't be surprised if some people commend it because they never see anything wrong with anything ACN from the Obama Lies to 1billion per KM road to mention a few.

I think the new rule is , if you want to act silly and go uncriticized, join ACN.

Stop being feudalistic and partisan for once. Is it everything you must play politics with? Are you from Lagos? Do you know how much of an eyesore the City is? It is an embarrassment. Many parts of Lagos are an extreme eyesore. It is obvious why Fashola felt a radical approach is required. Any Lagosian who has experienced some other African capital/main Cities will appreciate how clean many are in comparison to Lagos. In fact I have had West African friends who have visited Nigeria, and stayed in Lagos, go away disillusioned. They wonder how a people who go around with swagger and an insistence on looking 'dapper' can be so indifferent about the very dilapidated condition of their environment !!!

If you are a Lagosian who wants the best for the City, you will understand where Fashola is coming from instead of mentioning ACN and playing politics with an issue that is very serious and close to the heart of every true Lagosian. Do you like the eyesore lagos is? Have you ever flown in to MMIA from outside Nigeria only to appreciate, on your drive home, how much of an eyesore Lagos is in comparison to where you were coming from? Bros, fashi the Political Party thing. The current slum-like look of many parts of Lagos should be a serious worry for all Lagosian regardless of Party affiliation. Any effort to change the status-quo should be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by dabossman(m): 7:04pm On Sep 12, 2012
pro01:

Oh, I do agree with you on many points. But the question is did Fashola and his government follow the constitutional regulations before these laws were passed? If yes, then by all means let those in opposition fight it through legal means. There are several sides to the law and interpretation is key. How does that make the man not learned? He has used legal means within the constitution and not arbitrary decrees. If the courts rule in his favour, flout those laws and see if you can pass it off as a violation of your constitutional rights, then as your neighbour I will tell you that your ugly, rodent infested building is an eye sore and an infrigement of my own constitutional rights.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Gbawe: 7:11pm On Sep 12, 2012
Double post.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Gbawe: 7:12pm On Sep 12, 2012
dabossman:

Oh, I do agree with you on many points. But the question is did Fashola and his government follow the constitutional regulations before these laws were passed? If yes, then by all means let those in opposition fight it through legal means. There are several sides to the law and interpretation is key. How does that make the man not learned? He has used legal means within the constitution and not arbitrary decrees. If the courts rule in his favour, flout those laws and see if you can pass it off as a violation of your constitutional rights, then as your neighbour I will tell you that your ugly, rodent infested building is an eye sore and an infrigement of my own constitutional rights.

Thank you!!! That is what I feel like telling many neigbours. You will see many Streets, even in so called middle class parts of the mainland, and only one house looks decent out of 30-40. The rest have not been painted for years and the roof all but bare. Many houses may not be renovated for the next 50 years left to the owner. This becomes a real problem eventually and this is where Lagos has gotten to. What is wrong with Fashola considering radical yet legal measures considering folks won't comply willingly? As a personal opinion I still think he won't succeed but I concede he cannot fold his arm and admit failure.

http://www..com/talk/topic,100798.0.html

Landlord bags 3 months jail term for failure to renovate house

A landlord, Adebola Mabinuori, was on Thursday sentenced to three months’ imprisonment by a Customary Court in Mushin, Lagos, for failing to put his house in proper habitable condition.

Mabinuori was however, given an option of N20,000 fine.

The prosecuting counsel for Mushin Local Government, Miss Oluwatayo Daramola, told the court that the house, located at No. 56, Ola St., Itire, was in a terrible condition.

According to Daramola, the landlord has an illegal school within the premises.

“There is a school being illegally operated in the house. Many children are packed together in one shop being used as a classroom.

“The shop has been extended with the use of wooden planks. There is no proper ventilation in the shop. The children could suffocate.

“The school children do not even have a toilet they can use. They defecate in the bush,” Daramola said, stressing that the house lacked hygienic sanitary facilities that the tenants could use.

“The house is in a bad state. There are no proper bathrooms and toilets. All the fourteen tenants residing in the house share one toilet which is not properly maintained.This could lead to an outbreak of cholera,’ she said.

Daramola told the court that Mabinuori failed to repair the dilapidated and cracked walls of the house despite a court injunction to do so.

“ The walls of the house are beginning to cave in and the roofing sheets are defective. The landlord has refused to do anything about it.There are so many people living in that house and their lives are in danger, if the house is not renovated soon, “ the prosecutor explained.

She stated that the offence was punishable under Section 7 of the Lagos State Environmental Laws, 2011.

Mabinuori pleaded guilty and said that he was constrained to renovate the house due to the continued stay of his tenants.

“I have given the tenants quit notices but they refused to leave. It is dangerous to carry out renovations when they are still in the house,” he said.

Meanwhile, the proprietress of the school, Mrs Grace Onwunan, apologised to the court for running the school without being certified by the state government.

She said she only wanted to earn a living from owning a crèche to take care of her children.

“My husband abandoned me five years ago. The school is my only means of survival. I started as a crèche but we now have pupils from primary one to four,” she said.

The court president, Dr Abayomi Ipaye, blamed the landlord for allowing the house to depreciate to its current state, and advised the proprietress of the school to desist from running the illegal facility or face sanctions from the government.

Ipaye ordered the landlord to renovate the house before July 13 or it would be sealed up.

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by musty1987(m): 7:26pm On Sep 12, 2012
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by GboyegaD(m): 8:15pm On Sep 12, 2012
Fashola exhibits greater stupidity of late. He comes up with dictates and threats of fines and jail terms. If he is looking for ways to generate more funds to loot must he resort to some cheap means of exthortion? I am waiting to see how this unfolds and to those who keep applauding him over his stupidity, I wouldn't blame you because there isn't any difference between you and him in reasoning.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Desola(f): 8:17pm On Sep 12, 2012
pretty_boi:

With all due respect, you're the dullest Nigerian I know.

you clearly haven't been around much. Dull people are closer to you than you know, you just have to look in the mirror.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Desola(f): 8:20pm On Sep 12, 2012
Tokotaya: If you give beggars money, you are going to jail. If you jump the red light, you are going to jail. If you ride okada on major roads, you are going to jail. If you drive against traffic, you are going to jail etc. Fashola repeat after me: 'Enacting a law does not make a problem go away.' Roll up your sleeves, muster enough political will and mobilise your lieutenants to enforce reasonable law consistently. That is the secret.

by the time we jail all of you, you'll be so traumatised that you'll pack your loads and go back to your villages.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Desola(f): 8:23pm On Sep 12, 2012
coded guy: Fashola has no right to tell people to beautify their sorroundings, besides beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. How does he know what people consider as beautiful. He only has a right to tell residents to make sure their environment and premises are clean and tidy, abi the beautification and cleanliness now havethe same meaning?

If I have a plain wall in front of my house and it is kept clean, then that's how I want it, but with this law some scroungy official will expect me draw some designs on the wall, thus fulfilling this obnoxious law.

Which is why you should wait for the law to be passed and interpreted. I'm sure beautification could be anything from ensuring that your drains are not blocked and that your surroundings are not littered but only externally, really. Whatever you choose to do inside the confines of your house is your palaver.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 12, 2012
thelastPope:

Lol. I can categorically tell you that Fashola will not last 3 months as president of Nigeria. It is because he has never really faced any heat from Lagos residents. The last time he faced a little heat from doctors, he bungled it and had to swallow his vomit. Nigeria will swallow him head first. Just imagine what peeps in sokoto, kd, owerri or zamfara will think of such commands. There is something called reorientation and its something that takes time but can work. Issuing commands in a democracy is laughable. It will only work in an environment where people are timid. Telling people who are on an 18k minimum wage to beautify their environment or go to jail or pay 250k fine is just a big joke.

Absolutely correct!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by takedat(m): 9:19pm On Sep 12, 2012
GboyegaD: Fashola exhibits greater stupidity of late. He comes up with dictates and threats of fines and jail terms. If he is looking for ways to generate more funds to loot must he resort to some cheap means of exthortion? I am waiting to see how this unfolds and to those who keep applauding him over his stupidity, I wouldn't blame you because there isn't any difference between you and him in reasoning.
Fashola is more intelligent than most Nigerian politicians including the man that wears hat

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Ekeeyhandsome(m): 9:43pm On Sep 12, 2012
Abeg lagosians,we d Abains fit borrow una our governor nd giv una our T.A.orji 4 jzt 2days?
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Kobojunkie: 9:51pm On Sep 12, 2012
coded guy: Fashola has no right to tell people to beautify their sorroundings, besides beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. How does he know what people consider as beautiful. He only has a right to tell residents to make sure their environment and premises are clean and tidy, abi the beautification and cleanliness now havethe same meaning?

You have a valid point!

2 Likes

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by BlackRevo: 9:55pm On Sep 12, 2012
You can tell the landlord or house company to beautify the house and environment while you tell the tenants/landlord/house company to keep the environment clean. They better think this well before they start clamping people into jail, money for beautifying the house has already gone to the landlord or house company in form of rents so the law should be directed to them.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by bashr8: 10:18pm On Sep 12, 2012
landlords should be held responsible , it is their responsibility to renovate the houses they rent out and make sure the tenents keep the surroundings clean . the govt sounds harsh but imo and enugu did the same thing even cross rivers years ago but they didnt threaten people with jail term and large fine. also as long as lagos remains over populated ,keeping it clean will almost be impossible.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 12, 2012
Apart from questions pertaining to the sense (or the lack thereof) in the laws Fashola and his fellow Tinubu houseboys in the Lagos House of Assembly have been churning out of late, my biggest annoyance is the CRIMINALISATION of almost everything under the sun by this foolish governor and his rubber-stamp legislature. He is a SAN, he should know the sort of offences that should be CIVIL offences (i.e. restricted to fines and fines only, at worst), and the kind that should be CRIMINAL offences. You can't make eeverything punishable by imprisonment. Do you know what imprisonment means?

Imagine telling a hygiene-conscious 'common' man that he would go to jail because he refused to wear a horrible, filthy, public helmet when he commutes with a commercial motorcycle? Or that a certain retiree would go to jail for lacking the wherewithal to "beautify" his OWN house that he built with his OWN money without government assistance/mortgage/etc?

Look, there is no way one can justify Fashola's recent lunacy. He is clearly losing his mind, and it is too bad the masses are too timid and passive to pounce on this elitist nutcase of a governor. Democracy can only be deepened when the masses rise up to challenge tyranny and stupidity on the part of the political class.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by olaheavy: 2:51am On Sep 13, 2012
@Desola, keep the flag flying. A very brave Yoruba woman, may the Almighty apply more grease to your elbows (amin).
That moronic Afam4nothing is a classic Igbo cannibal. He and other yinminrin aj'okuta ma mumi are quick to jump in your face to tell you all that's wrong with Yorubaland and her people, yet, they keep trooping into Ibadan, Lagos state, and other Yoruba cities and towns. They lie and boast that their human-blood-soaked Eastern region flows with honey and milk, still they're running away everyday from their fairy 'Biafran paradise.' How will any sane person want to leave 'paradise' and run to people he loves to hate? It's more like a land that flows with blood and fecal matter to me than otherwise. The Igbo fool cited the Confederacy Era as the best in Nigeria when 'the West had Ibadan, the East had Enugu...' and blah, blah. Okay, but I want the Igbo slowpoke to tell us why did Azikiwe come to the West and fight tooth and nail to become the first indigenous Prime Minister when he was supposed to be in the East serving in the same capacity? Folks should note the word 'indigenous' - was the West indigenous to Azikiwe or any Igbo for that matter? Hell, no! It only showed that the Igbos are nothing but usurping ingrates! The Igbo r.etard contended with you that when he and other yinminrins were coming to Lagos state they weren't thinking of Yorubaland. Well, let me ask them this question: were the millions of Igbos who ran to Ibadan and other Yoruba domains from Biafra thinking of Yorubaland or not? Don't mind them, cannibals are a bunch of panhandling beggars and prasites.
@the cannibalistic pro01, your ignorance knows no bounds. You called Raji Fashola every unpalatable name and you even questioned his erudition. Anyway, Fashola is sure not your run-on-the-mill lawyer and politician. Just go occupy your cannibalistic brain with something useful instead of thinking of the next human being whose flesh you'll make into suya like your brother, Late Clifford Orji.
And, cannibals, Raji is not Rochas' mate!
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by seunfly: 3:42am On Sep 13, 2012
fresh_dude: Good intention, bad policy.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by seunfly: 3:57am On Sep 13, 2012
fresh_dude: Good intention, bad policy.
you peaple you no dey applaud some good in your life? Always bad! bad!! bad!!! Please try to remove ur veil of cast him down syndrome that u are wearing and argue objectively. Just praise them for once
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by dasparrow: 3:58am On Sep 13, 2012
@Post

I think that it is a good idea in my opinion. I know that it may take time getting Nigerians to understand the benefits of beautifying their surroundings with plants but as a people we must start somewhere. When Nigerians travel abroad, they admire and enjoy the clean orderly and beautiful environment of these advanced nations. So, why can't we emulate a greener environment back home? All we know how to emulate is the negative aspects of western culture like cussing, using foul speech, being rude and obnoxious and the likes.
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by EkoIle1: 4:38am On Sep 13, 2012
Funny Nigerian, they want to live better life, but they still prefer slum living and lawlessness. The developed and advanced countries the same people love to talk about have similar laws that protect their societies and environment.

In many places , you get fined if you don't cut your grass, you get fined if you don't paint your house, you even get fined if. you use the wrong color. And if you don't pay up, they won't let you register your car, take away your drivers license, garnish your pay or tax refund or even put a lien on your house.

Personally, I think they need to start forcing. home owners to paint their houses every few years and banning uncompleted buildings . The dreary look of many houses in Lagos is very sad and depressing.

Still, this is a wonderful move. eko o ni baje lai lai

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Kobojunkie: 5:02am On Sep 13, 2012
bashr8: landlords should be held responsible , it is their responsibility to renovate the houses they rent out and make sure the tenents keep the surroundings clean . the govt sounds harsh but imo and enugu did the same thing even cross rivers years ago but they didnt threaten people with jail term and large fine. also as long as lagos remains over populated ,keeping it clean will almost be impossible.

The bottom line is Government has NO LEGAL RIGHT to threaten people with Jail for such things as this since they are NO CRIMES. What next? In all of Nigeria, there are no laws against building a home without "beautifying" it and there are certainly no established guidelines explaining what it means to beautify a home, let alone rules stipulating how it ought to be done.

This gra-gra Government needs to have the brakes pulled on it. People don't need to be threatened in such a manner by their government.

2 Likes

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by wirelex: 5:32am On Sep 13, 2012
Fashola should slow down with his military style laws. What happened to community work for minor offences. This would even help clean up the environment and de congest our over burdened prisons.

1 Like

Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by kejisept25: 6:52am On Sep 13, 2012
What abt dose dat r financialy incapable? Dey sud abandon dre strucures for Lagos state gov. So dat dey wont be sentenced bah! Ridiculous
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by kidiat: 7:18am On Sep 13, 2012
Who is going to beautify all the bad roads in Lagos, they better do their own part, no matter how u beautify ur area wit bad road, lack of drainage,it will not show, Fashola is now becoming another thing, what of local govt chairman who did not perform, they will stay in their house enjoying the looted money,(oun tani ki okobo won bo ko bo, o ni pe oun le bo igba abere loru) all their policy is for masses, all good thing is for rich men. They shd live us in Mushin alone wit our suffering & smiling
Re: Beautify Your Premises Or Go To Jail – Fashola by Jay5000(m): 9:40am On Sep 13, 2012
Slowly but surely, the police state comes to life. Sad to say this but there was more liberty in Abacha's days.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

COVID-19: PDP Says Buhari Offered No Solutions / Rural Sensitization For Peter Obi In Maiduguri, Borno State (Photos) / Ezekwesili Knocks Al-makura Over Alleged Assault On Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.