Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (132) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1830227 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 1:48pm On Nov 24, 2013
Emzybrown:
bro thanks i asked u a question before but i did not know, wheda u replied. When do unilorinth normaly conduct internship exam?

Oh!! Sorry...

They usually conduct every 3monnths or so, but due to the last ARD strike, it may be till next year.....

But I'll be on the lookout shaa
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 24, 2013
Lagusta:

Oh!! Sorry...

They usually conduct every 3monnths or so, but due to the last ARD strike, it may be till next year.....

But I'll be on the lookout shaa
aight bro
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by KVN1(m): 3:13am On Nov 26, 2013
Hello guys,by GOD's grace,I got admission to study vet med in unn,but I'm plannin' 2 change to medicine through the change of course programme.Guys pls what are the courses that I'll need 2 borrow in order 2 enhance this process?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:09pm On Nov 26, 2013
@stormz. Congrats on your admission. Where is everyone?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by mesther96(f): 7:42pm On Nov 26, 2013
charleymed: @stormz. Congrats on your admission. Where is everyone?
sweetheart smiley
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 8:07pm On Nov 26, 2013
m.esther96:
sweetheart smiley
Esty. Long time, how are you doing my love?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JewelBukky(f): 8:43pm On Nov 26, 2013
Congrats on ur admissn!
KVN1: Hello guys,by GOD's grace,I got admission to study vet med in unn,but I'm plannin' 2 change to medicine through the change of course programme.Guys pls what are the courses that I'll need 2 borrow in order 2 enhance this process?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by STORM2(f): 10:44pm On Nov 26, 2013
charleymed: @storm2, Congrats on your admission. Where is everyone?
Thank you very much grin
no mind others here oh they just by-passed my good news tongue

i guess people are busy with stuff. Kai....i really want to start my lectures abeg. Lemme experience this almighty gross anatomy for myself. ASUU and FG oh!!!!
KVN1: Hello guys,by GOD's grace,I got admission to study vet med in unn,but I'm plannin' 2 change to medicine through the change of course programme.Guys pls what are the courses that I'll need 2 borrow in order 2 enhance this process?
congratulations sir......welcome to den smiley
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by teeyford(m): 10:32am On Nov 28, 2013
hy ladies and gentlemen, am an mbbs aspirant of ABU zaria, pls I need advice and guidance from anyone who is willing to help..
7bfbe5aa
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:52pm On Nov 28, 2013
Am Mathew(BDS 300L) from the Lagos state University College of Medicine, Ikeja: whatsapp@08084289604 twitter@doctor regular bbm@7C23BD6E Facebook.com/mathew.suleman letz start d conversation docs.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by faboben10: 3:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
Hi colleagues and snr colleagues in d house,
just got admitted into MBBS in OOU.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JewelBukky(f): 5:00pm On Nov 28, 2013
Congrats!
faboben10: Hi colleagues and snr colleagues in d house,
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by peacettw: 5:25pm On Nov 28, 2013
Guys, check this out! Just saw this post in the health section and thought I should share. Didn't think it existed in Nigeria . Googled it on eBay and the price seems fair. Will copy and paste the pics
www.nairaland.com/1535072/long-lasting-telescopic-tendon-hammer

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by peacettw: 5:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
It is a tendon hammer. Cool right? Already ordering one. Saw it with a resident doctor last 2 years but couldn't order for it since the shipping cost then was enormous. Just called the seller and it really does come with a free name tag for stethoscopes. Yippee! I really need that name tag esp since I just bought a master classic 2 littmann stethoscope that cost me an arm and a leg. Thank me later guys. Gotta run
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by LadyWinona: 5:47pm On Nov 28, 2013
peacettw: Guys, check this out! Just saw this post in the health section and thought I should share. Didn't think it existed in Nigeria . Googled it on eBay and the price seems fair. Will copy and paste the pics

I have seen quite some students and doctors use it I the center I work with. Also think it is unique and price seems fair. Where are you based at and how will you get yours? Need to know cos I need one myself for keeps.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by STORM2(f): 7:27pm On Nov 28, 2013
faboben10: Hi colleagues and snr colleagues in d house,
Congratulations dearie...
peacettw: Guys, check this out! Just saw this post in the health section and thought I should share. Didn't think it existed in Nigeria . Googled it on eBay and the price seems fair. Will copy and paste the pics
Hahahaha...looks cool...but I have absolutely zero idea what that contraption is meant to do....arghhh
ASUU strike do and end so that I can learn some medicine and surgery!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:20am On Nov 29, 2013
All that av bin admitted...
Big Congratulation to you all!! storm, esther, kvn1 etc.

storm i reali lookd 4wad to seein you in Uniben bt the den has swallowd u.
Special congratulation to u tho'
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dammy198825(m): 10:03pm On Nov 29, 2013
Gud day to everyone in ds section,am pleased to introduce myself as someone who belong here. Am a 400lvl medical lab. Science student of LAUTECH. I hope am welcome on board...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:16pm On Nov 29, 2013
dammy198825: Gud day to everyone in ds section,am pleased to introduce myself as someone who belong here. Am a 400lvl medical lab. Science student of LAUTECH. I hope am welcome on board...

welcome bruh!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dammy198825(m): 7:08am On Nov 30, 2013
lomaxx:

welcome bruh!
Tnkx
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 7:26am On Nov 30, 2013
dammy198825: Gud day to everyone in ds section,am pleased to introduce myself as someone who belong here. Am a 400lvl medical lab. Science student of LAUTECH. I hope am welcome on board...
wlcum
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by 1stUnique(m): 7:27am On Nov 30, 2013
tee_yford: hy ladies and gentlemen, am an mbbs aspirant of ABU zaria, pls I need advice and guidance from anyone who is willing to help..
7bfbe5aa

i guess u are an Android user. I recomend d new myschool.com.ng application which constist of
- Access over 30,000 past questions and their solutions for JAMB, WAEC, NECO and NABTEB exams, in an organized manner.
- Access all past questions and their solutions without any Internet Connection, even in remote and rural areas.
- Carry all past question & answer booklets for all subjects in your mobile phone.
- Enables you search for a particular question keyword in any subject and get the answer and explanations. Like a "google" for past questions.
- Gives you an idea of what JAMB CBT environment feels like.
- Comes with flexible and reliable 1 year of SMS alerts for your choice school as stated in your profile.
- Comes with a FREE copy of Admission 101 - A guide and an eye opener to all the pitfalls you should avoid right from filling your JAMB form, until you get into school and finally matriculate.
- Prepares you for CBT and also Post-UTME exams in your school of choice.
- Avoid expensive admission sorting by encouraging learning.
With this Myschool App and constant practice, you are sure of your clean merit admission in the coming session..

myschool.com.ng/school/news/23732/myschool-presents-past-questions-and-answers-for-jamb-waec-neco-and-nabteb-on-android.html

Wishing u success.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by faboben10: 11:50am On Nov 30, 2013
[quote author=STORM2]
Congratulations dearie...

Thanks sis
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by STORM2(f): 12:31pm On Nov 30, 2013
I-am-Winner:
All that av bin admitted...
Big Congratulation to you all!! storm, esther, kvn1 etc.

storm i reali lookd 4wad to seein you in Uniben bt the den has swallowd u.
Special congratulation to u tho'
Lol. That angle just didn't work out. I guess God wants me in the den....what can i say? Lol.
thanks alot.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AmbFitsaint(m): 10:31pm On Nov 30, 2013
Greetings to everyone.

I am yet to start pre-clinicals not to talk of pre-medical but I want to know more abt USMLE .

Dr Lomaxx nd oda remarkable medics , I am looking forward to hearing more abt dis as
prior proper plan prevents poor performance. Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:15pm On Nov 30, 2013
Amb Fitsaint: Greetings to everyone.

I am yet to start pre-clinicals not to talk of pre-medical but I want to know more abt USMLE .

Dr Lomaxx nd oda remarkable medics , I am looking forward to hearing more abt dis as
prior proper plan prevents poor performance. Thanks

Since you're yet to start pre-clinicals and pre-med, the best you can do is prepare your mind.

Well- the aim of writing usmle is to get into residency in the us. And as IMGs we are already disadvantaged. USMLE alone is not enough to earn a spot. A lot of factors will determine whether you'll get in. E.g the specialty you're applying to, your usmle scores, the strength of your letters of recommendations, your personal statement etc etc

And about usmle- it's not enough to write this exam. As an IMG, it is a matter of priority that you ace this exam. Once you pass, there is no room for improvement. If you pass, you don pass. And your number of trials will bring down your chances of getting a spot.

As a Nigerian medical undergraduate, I have been severely disadvantaged in taking this exam. USMLE needs exclusive preparation. Unfortunately, after my 100 level, we don't have any official holiday till graduation. The little I've had is a 3-week break after Part 2 MB Exam and the public holidays. The rest of the days are very indulging. So I can't write this exam because 1) if I ace usmle, I'll mess up at home. 2) I need to ace home stuff- that's where the stakes lie. I'm saying this to say that if your school's academic calendar is convenient, you can sneak in study for this exam and ace it. I won't advise that you prioritise usmle over home stuff. There will be ample time for usmle later...even after graduation.

However, one thing which you must have before graduation (notice how I said "must"wink, is USCE( US Clinical Experience). I highly suggest that anyone that wants to do residency in the US must do his/her final year electives in the United States. This is the only chance you can get to have direct-contact with patients...and not mere observerships. Those folks prefer folks with USCE over those with observerships or worse still- those without. There are some hospitals that don't require USMLE before you do your electives. You can always know them.

I wish you good luck in all your endeavours.

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 11:34pm On Nov 30, 2013
lomaxx:

Since you're yet to start pre-clinicals and pre-med, the best you can do is prepare your mind.

Well- the aim of writing usmle is to get into residency in the us. And as IMGs we are already disadvantaged. USMLE alone is not enough to earn a spot. A lot of factors will determine whether you'll get in. E.g the specialty you're applying to, your usmle scores, the strength of your letters of recommendations, your personal statement etc etc

And about usmle- it's not enough to write this exam. As an IMG, it is a matter of priority that you ace this exam. Once you pass, there is no room for improvement. If you pass, you don pass. And your number of trials will bring down your chances of getting a spot.

As a Nigerian medical undergraduate, I have been severely disadvantaged in taking this exam. USMLE needs exclusive preparation. Unfortunately, after my 100 level, we don't have any official holiday till graduation. The little I've had is a 3-week break after Part 2 MB Exam and the public holidays. The rest of the days are very indulging. So I can't write this exam because 1) if I ace usmle, I'll mess up at home. 2) I need to ace home stuff- that's where the stakes lie. I'm saying this to say that if your school's academic calendar is convenient, you can sneak in study for this exam and ace it. I won't advise that you prioritise usmle over home stuff. There will be ample time for usmle later...even after graduation.

However, one thing which you must have before graduation (notice how I said "must"wink, is USCE( US Clinical Experience). I highly suggest that anyone that wants to do residency in the US must do his/her final year electives in the United States. This is the only chance you can get to have direct-contact with patients...and not mere observerships. Those folks prefer folks with USCE over those with observerships or worse still- those without. There are some hospitals that don't require USMLE before you do your electives. You can always know them.

I wish you good luck in all your endeavours.
Dr lomaxx, thanks for this insightful post. I think USCE is the surest way to getting strong letters of recommendation.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 12:01am On Dec 01, 2013
charleymed: Dr lomaxx, thanks for this insightful post. I think USCE is the surest way to getting strong letters of recommendation.

Definitely.
So just zero your mind on final year electives in the US. God will help us all.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 12:21am On Dec 01, 2013
lomaxx:

Definitely.
So just zero your mind on final year electives in the US. God will help us all.
Thank you Dr. Lomaxx, am planing towards that. Am still confuse why electives at ivy schools(havard,mayo,yale,etc) requires tuition and step 1 scores? God will help us......wish Nigeria could get better.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 8:02am On Dec 01, 2013
With the look of d medical sector in Nigeria,many medical studentz are planning 2 move overseas.DR Lomaxx,u've just given me some insight on Usmle.USCE,diz is d 1st tym am seeing diz.GIVE DETAILD info plz.y did a aneursym patient need brain surgery?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:17am On Dec 01, 2013
aliandro: With the look of d medical sector in Nigeria,many medical studentz are planning 2 move overseas.DR Lomaxx,u've just given me some insight on Usmle.USCE,diz is d 1st tym am seeing diz.GIVE DETAILD info plz.y did a aneursym patient need brain surgery?

That's because a ruptured Berry aneurysm leads to a hemorrhagic stroke!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 8:20am On Dec 01, 2013
aliandro: With the look of d medical sector in Nigeria,many medical studentz are planning 2 move overseas.DR Lomaxx,u've just given me some insight on Usmle.USCE,diz is d 1st tym am seeing diz.GIVE DETAILD info plz.y did a aneursym patient need brain surgery?
Dr. Aliandro, good to have you here again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) (135) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.