Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,062 members, 7,835,594 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (140) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1846931 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 4:07pm On Dec 28, 2013
Q: As a doctor, why would you place a patient recently diagnosed of Tuberculosis ( and taking Isoniazid, Rifampicin, Ethambutol, Pyrazinamide) on Pyridoxine concurrently?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by fatsolino: 4:28pm On Dec 28, 2013
wazzidon: Hi, am a 3rd year Medical student of UNN.
nice to hear frm u. Pls I nid ur contakt. I av a lot to ask academicaly
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by vicksbaba(m): 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2013
lomaxx: Q: As a doctor, why would you place a patient recently diagnosed of Tuberculosis ( and taking Isoniazid, Rifampicin, Ethambutol, Pyrazinamide) on Pyridoxine concurrently?

God! I am about to fall my hand today..... anyway if I fail it. ....I'll learn. it's all part of the learning process.... .
the only thing I can think of is Isoniazid....they said it can lead to some form of peripheral Neuropathy.....

last 4months Our DMEd lecturer said Isoniazid fights with (sorry competes) pyridoxine..... because the dude is jealous that pyridoxine when reduced to a coenzyme metabolizes many substances... carbohydrates (lol... did you notice that carbohydrate is like carbon inside water?..... ), proteins.....even brain amines(scary! ) so isoniazid will sha try to inhibit the action of pyridoxine....thus no more side effect!.... I know dat Is a very lame way to answer a medical question...... ★<covers face.... just tell me I am wrong >★

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 5:01pm On Dec 28, 2013
vicksbaba:

God! I am about to fall my hand today..... anyway if I fail it. ....I'll learn. it's all part of the learning process.... .
the only thing I can think of is Isoniazid....they said it can lead to some form of peripheral Neuropathy.....

last 4months Our DMEd lecturer said Isoniazid fights with (sorry competes) pyridoxine..... because the dude is jealous that pyridoxine when reduced to a coenzyme metabolizes many substances... carbohydrates (lol... did you notice that carbohydrate is like carbon inside water?..... ), proteins.....even brain amines(scary! ) so isoniazid will sha try to inhibit the action of pyridoxine....thus no more side effect!.... I know dat Is a very lame way to answer a medical question...... ★<covers face.... just tell me I am wrong >★

Correct. Most TB patients on Isoniazid therapy will come down with peripheral neuropathy secondary to pyridoxine deficiency.

I owe you one shot of Goskolomycin. grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 5:10pm On Dec 28, 2013
vicksbaba:

wowwwwwwww! I love d mode u use to answer dis kwestion. Kudos..... I love ya(no gay if male)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by vicksbaba(m): 5:20pm On Dec 28, 2013
Samgreguc:

wowwwwwwww! I love d mode u use to answer dis kwestion. Kudos..... I love ya(no gay if male)

i am sure i have a Y chromosome...... I have never been so sure of anything like this before.....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by vicksbaba(m): 5:22pm On Dec 28, 2013
lomaxx:

so I will enter yaba left shey? Gos(kolo)mycin.....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Samgreguc(m): 5:31pm On Dec 28, 2013
vicksbaba:

i am sure i have a Y chromosome...... I have never been so sure of anything like this before.....
Gush! Y na? U shud av had only x na
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by vicksbaba(m): 5:38pm On Dec 28, 2013
lomaxx:

Correct. Most TB patients on Isoniazid therapy will come down with peripheral neuropathy secondary to pyridoxine deficiency.

dr.lomaxx... abeg explain oooo.... which one is Goskolomycin....
you discovered it ni?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 5:46pm On Dec 28, 2013
vicksbaba:

dr.lomaxx... abeg explain oooo.... which one is Goskolomycin....
you discovered it ni?

Ask charleymed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I can assure you he will tell you everything from the pharmacokinetics, to the pharmacology of that simple concoction 'drug' . grin grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:35pm On Dec 28, 2013
lomaxx:

At this level, I should be able to differentiate between Broca's aphasia and Wernicke's aphasia grin grin . Xmas bonanza indeed.

Ans: Wernicke's Area
Wernicke's Area is very correct. Thumps up
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:48pm On Dec 28, 2013
lomaxx:

Depressed fracture to frontal bone of the Professor's skull bone caused traumatic neuronal injury in the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex (which is the seat of all personality, judgement, impulse control, and cognitive ability ).

Charleymed is yet to tell us if the professor was able to perform sexua.l functions with a damaged frontal lobe grin grin
From history, destruction of the prefrontal cortex does not cause a marked loss of intelligence, but it does result in an individual losing initiative and drive, and often the patient no longer conforms to accepted modes of social behaviour. So about your question, i think his sexual attitudes have to be affected since he is socially inept. But one thing i know is that his sexual urge might not be affected, since his overall intelligence is'nt groosly affected. Please correct me if am wrong. Btw, your answer to the question is very correct. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:59pm On Dec 28, 2013
lomaxx:

I can assure you he will tell you everything from the pharmacokinetics, to the pharmacology of that simple concoction 'drug' . grin grin
lol. Goskolomycin is just like any other antibiotics but the only difference is that it intoxicates.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 29, 2013
The thread title was changed?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 29, 2013
lomaxx:

There is a difference between facts and opinion. If he claimed to state facts, you would then have been very justified to step in and make the corrections.

But he gave HIS OPINION....which he is very entitled to- whether it is myopic, hypermetropic or in between. . We are in a public forum and people should be free to air their opinions and experiences - no matter how averse it is to our interests.

And most importantly, we should learn to respect them not because they are true/false, but because they are people's opinions- and they may help someone make some life changing decisions.

I have however noticed that this place is not the best to give your opinion- especially as it regards opportunities between health-related fields. I have long resigned from such effort as I want to be the last person to give someone sleepless nights over an opinion.
u deserve a big brolier chick for this post. Good one.
Radiography is hot cake now, truth but the guy over exaggerated his points.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 12:45pm On Dec 29, 2013
Guys let's talk about these diseases

Metachromatic leukodystrophy

i-cells disease (inclusion cells disease )

Adrenoleukodystrophy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Quatermaine: 2:39pm On Dec 29, 2013
charleymed: Guys let's talk about these diseases

Adrenoleukodystrophy
Blank...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:24pm On Dec 29, 2013
Lol..i dnt knw if what he said(mbbs to bds) is possible but it reminds me of what someone(a medical doc now) told me happened when he was in Oau..that a frnd of his was sent to mbbs from bdsl when he failed a bds course(Prosthodontics) twice or so n kept on passing mbbs courses...
I stl dnt believe him sha..!
ashhascash:
wow so is it only mbbs to bds in oau. Pls kindly reply if bds to mbbs is possible. I knw none is inferior but passion matters.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 29, 2013
Dunno y i get scared anytime i see all these big kwstns....a feeling lk..'Wl i rili b able to save all these things in ma head?'...
Well,as ma mum wl alwez say,'..when i get to the bridge,i'l knw how to cross it'
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ashhascash: 4:36pm On Dec 29, 2013
@Dr Hesjay tanx.
Mayb i jux gat to chil nd focus on it, was having weird tots of takin jamb for mbbs.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 4:36pm On Dec 29, 2013
charleymed: Guys let's talk about these diseases

Adrenoleukodystrophy

Charleymed oya come and do the needful. You know this is not spinal stuff. grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sagaciousblog: 5:13pm On Dec 29, 2013
lomaxx:

Dr.'Hesjay:
Dunno y i get scared anytime i see all these big kwstns....a feeling lk..'Wl i rili b able to save all these things in ma head?'...
Well,as ma mum wl alwez say,'..when i get to the bridge,i'l knw how to cross it'

can i add u sirs on fb?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 5:19pm On Dec 29, 2013
lomaxx:

Charleymed oya come and do the needful. You know this is not spinal stuff. grin
lol..... oga lomaxx.....these things are weird oo, that's why i posted it here for 'oga at the top then' to deal with It mercilessly, i came across It in histo..... but i have shallow knowledge of it....... as it stands now, i can only do a qaurter of the needful...... hope i will get help along the line oo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Quatermaine: 5:20pm On Dec 29, 2013
Dr.'Hesjay:

Damn right bro.. 100lvl docs like we.. When we get there we will definitely cross. Who knows, we might be better!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Quatermaine: 5:27pm On Dec 29, 2013
Predecessors, please be carrying out exercises that will also help freshers like us..

Stuffs like. All about medical school, Best way to grab those huge books, what to take serious and what to neglect etc.

I joined this thread to know but it seems like I joined to show that I am in!.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by STORM2(f): 5:36pm On Dec 29, 2013
Dystrophy? Nna eh...something about hereditary muscle degeneration.
But na wa o...adreno...leuko..dystrophy

Kidneys, white blood cells, muscle decay....damn! undecided
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 5:47pm On Dec 29, 2013
charleymed: lol..... oga lomaxx.....these things are weird oo, that's why i posted it here for 'oga at the top then' to deal with It mercilessly, i came across It in histo..... but i have shallow knowledge of it....... as it stands now, i can only do a qaurter of the needful...... hope i will get help along the line oo

What part of histopathology?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 6:06pm On Dec 29, 2013
lomaxx:

What part of histopathology?
not histopathology..... I mean histology
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 6:13pm On Dec 29, 2013
Quatermaine: Predecessors, please be carrying out exercises that will also help freshers like us..

Stuffs like. All about medical school, Best way to grab those huge books, what to take serious and what to neglect etc.

I joined this thread to know but it seems like I joined to show that I am in!.

I get what you mean. We've come a long way from page1 and we've shared some of those stuff. If you have the patience you can go over the pages.

Meanwhile, what you see now( the questions, discussion ish), is a means to keep the thread alive, derive some fire and add some "ginger" to the area.

If you have specific questions/concerns, we don't mind going over it again.

For the ones you've mentioned above, it will be profitable to note that medical training is a stepwise process....stepwise but very slippery. There are little chances to correct mistakes when made- so you must try as much as possible to take everything serious. Everything should be important to you.

While meditating in my bathroom this morning, I discovered that the best students I've come across were ALWAYS INVOLVED in the purpose of their schoolwork. They have little room to discriminate between choices when their books are involved. They attend 99.9% lectures, practicals, ward rounds, seminars. They hold stellar records for being attentive in class- copy their notes and maintain a healthy study routine.

I've also had to chance to relate with folks from other schools and I ask about their "distinction students". The story never slides from the picture I've painted above. They're 100% serious folks. No time for unserious gambling of time with frivolous activities. They mean business all the time.

Are all these necessary? I can't say(it's personal to you). But if you have to pass through med school, do it once. And if you have the chance to do it once, do it well. Excellently, if possible.

Once again, goodluck on your admission. You'll get there tongue

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 6:18pm On Dec 29, 2013
charleymed: not histopathology..... I mean histology

Oh!

I'm so high on Pathology and Pharm right now. Histology can resttongue - I don pass am, I don pass grin
grin

However,t hey're rare stuff. Only place one would find it in Pathology(as a student) is Genetics. And probably Metabolic diseases in Chemical pathology.

But they're not the norm. No examiner will kill you if you don't know(I guess).
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Boluzie(m): 6:48pm On Dec 29, 2013
Dr.'Hesjay:

long tym Dr. Hesjay.....i trust my oga u already blasting dose part1 courses.We medics in oda schs ar just chilling till nxt yr for resumptn.Na God eyes we dey luk ooo.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Boluzie(m): 7:26pm On Dec 29, 2013
lomaxx:

I get what you mean. We've come a long way from page1 and we've shared some of those stuff. If you have the patience you can go over the pages.

Meanwhile, what you see now( the questions, discussion ish), is a means to keep the thread alive, derive some fire and add some "ginger" to the area.

If you have specific questions/concerns, we don't mind going over it again.

For the ones you've mentioned above, it will be profitable to note that medical training is a stepwise process....stepwise but very slippery. There are little chances to correct mistakes when made- so you must try as much as possible to take everything serious. Everything should be important to you.

While meditating in my bathroom this morning, I discovered that the best students I've come across were ALWAYS INVOLVED in the purpose of their schoolwork. They have little room to discriminate between choices when their books are involved. They attend 99.9% lectures, practicals, ward rounds, seminars. They hold stellar records for being attentive in class- copy their notes and maintain a healthy study routine.

I've also had to chance to relate with folks from other schools and I ask about their "distinction students". The story never slides from the picture I've painted above. They're 100% serious folks. No time for unserious gambling of time with frivolous activities. They mean business all the time.

Are all these necessary? I can't say(it's personal to you). But if you have to pass through med school, do it once. And if you have the chance to do it once, do it well. Excellently, if possible.

Once again, goodluck on your admission. You'll get there tongue
sir lomaxx tanx for d advice..God will see us through.

(1) (2) (3) ... (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.