Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,205 members, 7,836,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1847203 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by STENON(f): 2:21pm On Dec 31, 2013
Wow....av bin followin dis forum since....bt i jst kept quite cos I'm nt in d field.....My parnt av tried to force me to study Medicine bt nt really interested in d course because I'm alwz scared most especially wen i gt to d Hospital....pls try n kip d forum mor Lively.....Medicine is a Great course indeed...bt I rep Geophysics.....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by frankeinstein(m): 3:37pm On Dec 31, 2013
lomaxx:

The knowledge is a continuum. Each preceding level provides a foundation for the next one.

When you're doing your subsequent clinical years, the knowledge of pre-clinical years might be demanded.

For example, you're doing a long case on a patient with stroke. You may be asked on the anatomy of the circulation at the Circle of Willis.

Or in a long case with a patient who has inguinal hernia- your knowledge of the anatomy of the inguinal canal may be required.

Fact is when you get to these levels(final year in this case), everything will be cemented into one bolus of knowledge. When you get to the bridge, you will cross.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 31, 2013
lomaxx:
Right on target. Ziehl-Neelsen is the stain....but in climes where things are done efficiently - a rapid Auramin-Rhodamine stain is done first, then probably a Ziehl-Neelsen.
One drum shot of Goskolo for my oga at the top grin grin
lomaxx:

Really? It's taught in theory. Me sef never see am before cheesy. But it's more rapid, and specific for M. Tb.

We learn everyday cheesy
Dr lomaxx auramine-rhodamine stain is an exogenous fluorescent dye. It stains mycobacterium tuberculosis, an allows for detection using fluorescent microscopy. It is a very sensitive and specific assay. I dont think nigerian laboratories can afford such a costly fluorescent microscope now. Happy new year.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by michy99(f): 10:50pm On Dec 31, 2013
[quote author=kommi]Gud pm. I've bn following dis topic 4 sum days now nd i must say dat i hv learnt alot. I'm pleased 2 b a member.
I jst gaind adimisn to study MBBS in unical nd i hope 2learn lots of things dat wil help my career.
Tank u all.

wow.m also in unical
congrats sis

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ashhascash: 1:44am On Jan 01, 2014
Hapi new yr medics/dentals, physios, mls,slt, radiographers, physiologist, anatomics etc.
Viva la Medicus.
#IFUDSA.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by STORM2(f): 1:45am On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year my people!!! A votre sante!
Love ya all....

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kommi(f): 2:19am On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year 2 u all.
may God shower his blessing on u continually.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kommi(f): 2:24am On Jan 01, 2014
[quote author=michy99][/quote]
tanks sis. pls wat level.
special 'HAPPY NEW YEAR' 2 u.
cheers.smiley
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ubechu1(m): 7:26am On Jan 01, 2014
The Start Of Every New Year
Brings You Closer And Closer
To Your Dreams And Aspirations.
May This Be The Breakthrough Year
That Your Dreams Finally Become A Reality.
Wishing You A Happy New Year Medicos
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:42am On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year to you all
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:10am On Jan 01, 2014
Emzybrown: Dr lomaxx auramine-rhodamine stain is an exogenous fluorescent dye. It stains mycobacterium tuberculosis, an allows for detection using fluorescent microscopy. It is a very sensitive and specific assay. I dont think nigerian laboratories can afford such a costly fluorescent microscope now. Happy new year.

We will get there.

Happy New Year.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by mesther96(f): 8:35am On Jan 01, 2014
wishin u a prosperous new year!smiley
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Boluzie(m): 12:17pm On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year to you all.May this year bring showers of blessing to everyone.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by rill: 1:12pm On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year guys.
School resumes on 6th.
Just before the ASUU ish, we were already about 5 wks into our path/pharm posting, which was supposed to last for 8 weeks. But now, new time table says we are gonna have to start all over from week 1.
I sha sabi say one day, i go graduate...notin does Me grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 1:16pm On Jan 01, 2014
rill: Happy new year guys.
School resumes on 6th.
Just before the ASUU ish, we were already about 5 wks into our path/pharm posting, which was supposed to last for 8 weeks. But now, new time table says we are gonna have to start all over from week 1.
I sha sabi say one day, i go graduate...notin does Me grin

Wow! What school are you?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year folks. smiley smiley
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by rill: 2:03pm On Jan 01, 2014
lomaxx:

Wow! What school are you?
iRepLautecH cool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by michy99(f): 3:08pm On Jan 01, 2014
[quote author=kommi]
tanks sis. pls wat level.

200lvl....wishing everyone a happy n prosperous new year
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 01, 2014
My New Year Message To You All
Since childhood,i have always wondered why people attach so much 'specialty' to the New Year Celebration. Specialty in this case,referring to the way the celebration is handled. While New Year celebration remains a festival of thanksgiving to some, it is taken as a day of mere jubilation by some. The type of atmosphere seen right from the 31st day of every december to the first day of January is always different from that observed in the rest of the year.
Christians generally believe that the new year Festival is a time to reflect on happenings in the year passed and give glory to the Almighty God, thereby making the day a day of worship and request for good tidings in the new year. Worship,in my own opinion is something that we do to bring Glory to God's name, anything that makes God happy with us is an act of worship.
I have tried to study and observe happenings on New Year Eve/Cross Over night,a day christians set aside to be in front of God,thanking him for his mercies and waiting upon him for the blessings of the new year,
It has turned to a 'show' day. Show day in the sense that it is the day when many people go to the churches to show their skills of dancing and probably singing. It is a day when you see people who don't come to church at all in the church,singing and dancing like saints. It is the day in which the churches record highest population throughout the year since its the only day many come to church. Something that amazes me about this day is the way people pray,they pray the way they never did throughout the year. Consequently,i strongly think and believe that the New Year Day is the only day most people observe thanksgiving and serious prayer. Albeit bearing in mind that New Year Celebration is actually not a religious festival, we must note that as christians, the new year celebration should not be for show off but for actual worship-that is,worship from our hearts.
Apart from the fact that 1st January is the first day on the gregorian calender,i don't see anything 'too special' in the day. I rate this day the same as every other day in the year. It is a normal day with 24hours,with night and day,same as everyday of the year. If we don't use the gregorian calender,then definitely,we would have been using another day as our New Year Day. I therefore see no reason why we should not celebrate each day that passes by the way we celebrate the new year. As christians, we should praise God and worship Him everyday as if we were celebrating a new year, thats our purpose, to serve and worship him everyday.
Another thing about New Year Celebration is that many have turned it to a festival of clothes. Many use this day as a day to 'show off' new clothes and latest trends in fashion.Is this not outrageous?
Just this morning,a big cousin of mine asked me..'Hesjay,why are you not in a new dress?...',The reply i gave was..'Why should i be in a new dress?'
I wonder why we should make it a must to wear a new cloth today,when we didnt do so on 1st,2nd,3rd,10th or 15th December.
If only Christians can see each day in every year just the way we see New Year day,it will really be a happy thing,since we will be conscious of time and appreciate God everyday of our lives-not only on New Year Day. I hereby use this medium,to implore us as christians to Celebrate everyday,singing praises to God,Dancing in worhip,praying for good tidings just as we do on the New Year Day!
Happy new year to you all!
Your Friend/Junior,
Hesjay!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 01, 2014
My New Year Message To You All
Since childhood,i have always wondered why people attach so much 'specialty' to the New Year Celebration. Specialty in this case,referring to the way the celebration is handled. While New Year celebration remains a festival of thanksgiving to some, it is taken as a day of mere jubilation by some. The type of atmosphere seen right from the 31st day of every december to the first day of January is always different from that observed in the rest of the year.
Christians generally believe that the new year Festival is a time to reflect on happenings in the year passed and give glory to the Almighty God, thereby making the day a day of worship and request for good tidings in the new year. Worship,in my own opinion is something that we do to bring Glory to God's name, anything that makes God happy with us is an act of worship.
I have tried to study and observe happenings on New Year Eve/Cross Over night,a day christians set aside to be in front of God,thanking him for his mercies and waiting upon him for the blessings of the new year,
It has turned to a 'show' day. Show day in the sense that it is the day when many people go to the churches to show their skills of dancing and probably singing. It is a day when you see people who don't come to church at all in the church,singing and dancing like saints. It is the day in which the churches record highest population throughout the year since its the only day many come to church. Something that amazes me about this day is the way people pray,they pray the way they never did throughout the year. Consequently,i strongly think and believe that the New Year Day is the only day most people observe thanksgiving and serious prayer. Albeit bearing in mind that New Year Celebration is actually not a religious festival, we must note that as christians, the new year celebration should not be for show off but for actual worship-that is,worship from our hearts.
Apart from the fact that 1st January is the first day on the gregorian calender,i don't see anything 'too special' in the day. I rate this day the same as every other day in the year. It is a normal day with 24hours,with night and day,same as everyday of the year. If we don't use the gregorian calender,then definitely,we would have been using another day as our New Year Day. I therefore see no reason why we should not celebrate each day that passes by the way we celebrate the new year. As christians, we should praise God and worship Him everyday as if we were celebrating a new year, thats our purpose, to serve and worship him everyday.
Another thing about New Year Celebration is that many have turned it to a festival of clothes. Many use this day as a day to 'show off' new clothes and latest trends in fashion.Is this not outrageous?
Just this morning,a big cousin of mine asked me..'Hesjay,why are you not in a new dress?...',The reply i gave was..'Why should i be in a new dress?'
I wonder why we should make it a must to wear a new cloth today,when we didnt do so on 1st,2nd,3rd,10th or 15th December.
If only Christians can see each day in every year just the way we see New Year day,it will really be a happy thing,since we will be conscious of time and appreciate God everyday of our lives-not only on New Year Day. I hereby use this medium,to implore us as christians to Celebrate everyday,singing praises to God,Dancing in worhip,praying for good tidings just as we do on the New Year Day!
Happy new year to you all!
Your Friend,
Hesjay!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Joeprince2nd: 3:58pm On Jan 01, 2014
lomaxx:

We will get there.

Happy New Year.
DR LOMAXX compliment of the season, i have been following dis tread and presently i need ur advice and d advice of every Dr and medical student in dis room. I wanna purchase jamb form but i'm think if unijos if a gud university 2 study medicine and also i'm 4rm benue state? I am going 2 use my weac result which is as follow maths b3, english c6, biolog c5, chemistry b3 and physics c5. It d result ok medicine? I will b very g8ful if i have a respond 4 u all.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by vicksbaba(m): 6:11pm On Jan 01, 2014
happy new year you all!.....wishing you the best of 2014!.....

where is Dr.Gboy and aliandro?!! does guys must be cooked up in their rooms, jacking like exams is 2mao.....chill their exam is like this month sha ....maybe January 6th!........
you guys should be fast oooo..... we await your presence @ Luth

Joeprince2nd: DR LOMAXX
compliment of the season,.

Dr.lomaxx.....when I grow up, I want to be like you.... seriously!....... joeprince the second (can you feel the royalty in his name! ) wished you compliments of the season......

Joeprince2nd: if unijos if a gud university 2 study medicine.

Frankly, I don't think I like the above statement.... I personally believe that if a school is accredited to study medicine, then it definitely has to be a good school.... it's not about how good the school is, it's about HOW GOOD YOU CAN BE ...(noticed I said how good you can be)...

Joeprince2nd: i'm 4rm benue state?.

personally, I don't believe in catchment area!... you may choose to consider it tho' .......my choice of school wasn't based on catchment area, it was based on the fact that my house is close to my school...... I'm a Delta dude living in Lagos..... unilag is close to home,and Cmul is a throw stone .....

Joeprince2nd: I am going 2 use my weac result which is as follow maths b3, english c6, biolog c5, chemistry b3 and physics c5. It d result ok medicine?.

like I said before, not based on how good you were or you are now, but HOW GOOD YOU CAN BE..... your results are OKAY! for an admission in any school for a program in mbbs.... just remember..... how good you can be........ read, read and read until your past questions are as familiar as your fingers (ehen I was wondering..... is there some kinda neurological disease that makes one not to be able to recognize his or her own fingers??....... i don't think Allen hand syndrome can cause this.....in AHS one can't control,but recognizes the fact that his or her hands are not voluntarily controlled...... imagine your left hand automatically slapping you, or your left hand automatically unbuttons your trousers, or shirt in public without you controlling it..........that's AHS....).....sorry to derail oooooooo....... I know I went too off point.....

Joeprince2nd: I will b very g8ful if i have a respond 4 u all.

loooooool....... that is a very huge request ooo and if Santa claus answers that wish, I can bet that you will have over 1000 pages with medics quoting your post!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 6:59pm On Jan 01, 2014
Joeprince2nd: DR LOMAXX compliment of the season, i have been following dis tread and presently i need ur advice and d advice of every Dr and medical student in dis room. I wanna purchase jamb form but i'm think if unijos if a gud university 2 study medicine and also i'm 4rm benue state? I am going 2 use my weac result which is as follow maths b3, english c6, biolog c5, chemistry b3 and physics c5. It d result ok medicine? I will b very g8ful if i have a respond 4 u all.
Your O Level results is good unless you intend applying university ibadan then you need to have a re-think
I can't answer your question wholly cos what works for me might not work for you, so it is a thing of choice.....
Though i don't know what to say but i think i just have to chip in a bit.....
Am a bonafide student of the afro-mentioned and i can peacefully tell you that am enjoying the ride thus far, i think your choice of school is a personal responsibility you have to accept. Am an easterner and beleive me i had opportunity to school in the East but i chose UNIJOS in lieu of it cos i have dreams and aspirations which i beleive i can only acheive in UNIJOS, when i took that decision some saw it as shear idiocy and cowardice, but the goodnews is that am happy and i feel inferior to no one.
My advice is that any school acreditted by MDCN on this site www.mdcnigeria.org is very good for you, the most important thing is, what do you really want to do in the school....
Self development is all you need to survive as a young man. Once you start developing your God given potentials, beleive me the choice of school will be the last thing on your mind. Schools are just there to give you directions on how to carry out this huge task of 'self development', you are not going to stay in school forever.
Let me give you an instance of a world acclaimed brain surgeon who always emphasize this the need for one to develop himself. Dr. Ben Carson is beleived to be a wonder man, it is no longer news that this fellow attended michigan state university school medicine at the time when havard was considered the only place where one can make it in life, but as i speak now havard trained professors do consult him for alot of things....
Mind you i did'nt say that good schools are'nt good but beleive me, life is more about what you do with your life.....
To clarify this issue once and for all, it's good to know that medical education in Nigeria is regulated by a single body saddled with the responsibility of maintaining an acceptable standard in all the schools registered under it.... and residency spots are not given based on the school you attend but rather your performances in the various exams...
Just be still, study well and try and make yourself outstanding in all spheres of your endeavour, and watch your records speak for you.
NB: Your success in life is not proportional to the school(s) you attend.
Goodluck.#peace.

5 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:04pm On Jan 01, 2014
@
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by STORM2(f): 10:26pm On Jan 01, 2014
Joeprince2nd: I wanna purchase jamb form but i'm think if unijos if a gud university 2 study medicine and also i'm 4rm benue state? I am going 2 use my weac result which is as follow maths b3, english c6, biolog c5, chemistry b3 and physics c5. It d result ok medicine? I will b very g8ful if i have a respond 4 u all.
Okay...unijos, uni ilorin, unn, uni ibadan, and unilag are all the same level when it comes to medical college. They all have the capacity to carry 150students and catchment isn't a major issue since they're federal universities. However, as lomax said, all medical schools in nigeria produce internationally competent doctors...so any medical school u go to whether IMSU or UNIIbadan or UNIjos will be just fine. Ofcourse federal schools will give u less stress and are less expensive.
The only problem with JOS is the ethnic wahala that goes on there. But come on...people are there and in the end its God that protects. Pls focus on doing well in jamb. The higher ur scores the better for u obviously. Goodluck dear.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kommi(f): 8:10am On Jan 02, 2014
@michy99, pls can u giv me d list of books u used in 100level.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 9:09am On Jan 02, 2014
@vicksbaba.Man can't live by book only na.Exams starts 27th Jan 2014,so we still have 3 weeks of strict reading b4 going 2 DLI daily 4 d much awaited second semester exams.When do u think preclinical class will start?Happy New Year 2 u all!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 11:03am On Jan 02, 2014
A 39-year old man has been taking 16 bottles of beer weekly for the past 9 months. Last week, he begins to feel a sharp pain in his epigastric region that radiates to the middle of his back and is relieved when he sits up and leans forward.

This pain has increasingly become severe on coughing, vigorous movement and deep breathing. He also has occasional episodes of nausea and vomitting. His serum amylase and lipase levels are abnormally high.

Q1- what is your most likely diagnosis ?

Q2- why would this patient come down with life-threatening respiratory insufficiency as a complication?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Babalola1990: 11:17am On Jan 02, 2014
lomaxx: A 39-year old man has been taking 16 bottles of beer weekly for the past 9 months. Last week, he begins to feel a sharp pain in his epigastric region that radiates to the middle of his back and is relieved when he sits up and leans forward.

This pain has increasingly become severe on coughing, vigorous movement and deep breathing. He also has occasional episodes of nausea and vomitting. His serum amylase and lipase levels are abnormally high.

Q1- what is your most likely diagnosis ?

Q2- why would this patient come down with life-threatening respiratory insufficiency as a complication?
A1: Acute Pancreatitis. A2 : Pleural effusion from exudate leakage of the excess amylase and lipase

5 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 11:46am On Jan 02, 2014
Babalola1990: A1: Acute Pancreatitis. A2 : Pleural effusion from exudate leakage of the excess amylase and lipase

you beat me to it....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Babalola1990: 12:21pm On Jan 02, 2014
Lagusta:

you beat me to it....
grin Yes boss, I was only lucky to stumble on it early while wandering about...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aliandro(m): 12:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
Dr.Gboy,reply vicksbaba ooo,He is waiting 4 us @ Idi araba.open CMUL BUS,who will join me.zzzzzz

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.