Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,026 members, 7,835,482 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1846873 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 29, 2013
Greetings to you all.I would like to know the best universities for medicine in the SS\SE region.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Quatermaine: 1:14am On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx:

I get what you mean. We've come a long way from page1 and we've shared some of those stuff. If you have the patience you can go over the pages.

Meanwhile, what you see now( the questions, discussion ish), is a means to keep the thread alive, derive some fire and add some "ginger" to the area.

If you have specific questions/concerns, we don't mind going over it again.

For the ones you've mentioned above, it will be profitable to note that medical training is a stepwise process....stepwise but very slippery. There are little chances to correct mistakes when made- so you must try as much as possible to take everything serious. Everything should be important to you.

While meditating in my bathroom this morning, I discovered that the best students I've come across were ALWAYS INVOLVED in the purpose of their schoolwork. They have little room to discriminate between choices when their books are involved. They attend 99.9% lectures, practicals, ward rounds, seminars. They hold stellar records for being attentive in class- copy their notes and maintain a healthy study routine.

I've also had to chance to relate with folks from other schools and I ask about their "distinction students". The story never slides from the picture I've painted above. They're 100% serious folks. No time for unserious gambling of time with frivolous activities. They mean business all the time.

Are all these necessary? I can't say(it's personal to you). But if you have to pass through med school, do it once. And if you have the chance to do it once, do it well. Excellently, if possible.

Once again, goodluck on your admission. You'll get there tongue
Thank You Sir.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by frankeinstein(m): 6:49am On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx:

I get what you mean. We've come a long way from page1 and we've shared some of those stuff. If you have the patience you can go over the pages.

Meanwhile, what you see now( the questions, discussion ish), is a means to keep the thread alive, derive some fire and add some "ginger" to the area.

If you have specific questions/concerns, we don't mind going over it again.

For the ones you've mentioned above, it will be profitable to note that medical training is a stepwise process....stepwise but very slippery. There are little chances to correct mistakes when made- so you must try as much as possible to take everything serious. Everything should be important to you.

While meditating in my bathroom this morning, I discovered that the best students I've come across were ALWAYS INVOLVED in the purpose of their schoolwork. They have little room to discriminate between choices when their books are involved. They attend 99.9% lectures, practicals, ward rounds, seminars. They hold stellar records for being attentive in class- copy their notes and maintain a healthy study routine.

I've also had to chance to relate with folks from other schools and I ask about their "distinction students". The story never slides from the picture I've painted above. They're 100% serious folks. No time for unserious gambling of time with frivolous activities. They mean business all the time.

Are all these necessary? I can't say(it's personal to you). But if you have to pass through med school, do it once. And if you have the chance to do it once, do it well. Excellently, if possible.

Once again, goodluck on your admission. You'll get there tongue
Dr. Lomaxx, is medical school a continium. For example,can you be tested on your 300lvl stuff,while in your final year?
I know everything should be taken seriously,but what course should be taken most seriously,in order to become a very good doctor....just curious.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Quatermaine: 7:14am On Dec 30, 2013
frankeinstein: Dr. Lomaxx, is medical school a continium. For example,can you be tested on your 300lvl stuff,while in your final year?
I know everything should be taken seriously,but what course should be taken most seriously,in order to become a very good doctor....just curious.
Nice question... Predecessors please help.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 30, 2013
@boluzie
boss mi,i jst dey freestyle oo...compliments of d season...expecting ma new year gift sir!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:02am On Dec 30, 2013
Following
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:10am On Dec 30, 2013
frankeinstein: Dr. Lomaxx, is medical school a continium. For example,can you be tested on your 300lvl stuff,while in your final year?

The knowledge is a continuum. Each preceding level provides a foundation for the next one.

When you're doing your subsequent clinical years, the knowledge of pre-clinical years might be demanded.

For example, you're doing a long case on a patient with stroke. You may be asked on the anatomy of the circulation at the Circle of Willis.

Or in a long case with a patient who has inguinal hernia- your knowledge of the anatomy of the inguinal canal may be required.

Fact is when you get to these levels(final year in this case), everything will be cemented into one bolus of knowledge. When you get to the bridge, you will cross.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:18am On Dec 30, 2013
And your MBBS Programme is divided into Parts.

1)Pre-Medical year

2)Pre-clinical year

•a)Physiology
•b)Anatomy
•c)Biochemistry

3) First Clinical year
•Laboratory Medicine and Pharmacology

4) Second Clinical year
•Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Paediatrics

5)Third Clinical year
•Internal Medicine, Community Health, Family Medicine ,Surgery.

Apart from the pre-med year, you write a professional examination in those courses at the end of the subsequent parts(2 to 5).

So once you pass the professional examination, it is considered that you have satisfied the requirements for that course. So it's stepwise.

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 8:20am On Dec 30, 2013
jaycee687: I just graduated from medical school but in Ukraine and I am a Nigerian.I hope am permitted to join this thread?

Welcome to the thread.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Boluzie(m): 8:23am On Dec 30, 2013
jaycee687: I just graduated from medical school but in Ukraine and I am a Nigerian.I hope am permitted to join this thread?
U ar highly welcome sir
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 8:24am On Dec 30, 2013
you are welcome sir, feel at home.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Fedric(m): 8:38am On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx: And your MBBS Programme is divided into Parts.

1)Pre-Medical year

2)Pre-clinical year

•a)Physiology
•b)Anatomy
•c)Biochemistry

3) First Clinical year
•Laboratory Medicine and Pharmacology

4) Second Clinical year
•Obstetrics and Gynaecology and Paediatrics

5)Third Clinical year
•Internal Medicine, Community Health, Family Medicine ,Surgery.

Apart from the pre-med year, you write a professional examination in those courses at the end of the subsequent parts(2 to 5).

So once you pass the professional examination, it is considered that you have satisfied the requirements for that course. So it's stepwise.

bro lomaxx. Am a medical aspirant. I wrote jamb this year but haven't being given admission yet. Please can i have your wattsap, facecook, bbm pin? Please .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 30, 2013
charleymed: Guys let's talk about these diseases

Metachromatic leukodystrophy

i-cells disease (inclusion cells disease )

Adrenoleukodystrophy

I-CELL DISEASE: Lysosomal storage disease. Normally, mannose-6-phosphate is supposed to be added to proteins to be destroyed by lysosomes (to aid recognition). Failure of addition of mannose-6-phosphate gives way for these enzymes to be transported out of the cell.
Symptoms: coarse facial features, clouded corneas, restricted joint movement, HIGH PLASMA LEVELS OF LYSOSOMAL ENZYMES.

METACHROMATIC LEUKODYSTROPHY: Something about demyelination, angry sad Symptoms include ataxia, i think!

I've not seen that last one yet! angry angry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
Last I checked, google was still active
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 5:42pm On Dec 30, 2013
A 25-year old lady presents to you with milky discharge from her left breast of a 4-month duration. Her menstrual cycle has recently become irregular and she complains of an intermittently dull headache and double vision. What is your most likely diagnosis?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by armadeo(m): 5:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx: A 25-year old lady presents to you with milky discharge from her left breast of a 4-month duration. Her menstrual cycle has recently become irregular and she complains of an intermittently dull headache and double vision. What is your most likely diagnosis?

pituatry adenoma. or other tumour
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 6:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
Why would a Gram stain procedure be deemed unnecessary in the sputum sample of a patient recently diagnosed of pulmonary tuberculosis ?

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Babalola1990: 6:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx: A 25-year old lady presents to you with milky discharge from her left breast of a 4-month duration. Her menstrual cycle has recently become irregular and she complains of an intermittently dull headache and double vision. What is your most likely diagnosis?
Prolactinoma?...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Babalola1990: 6:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx: Why would a Gram stain procedure be deemed unnecessary in the sputum sample of a patient recently diagnosed of pulmonary tuberculosis ?
Eluded Exclusively, but I think a gram stain may indicate any other URTI's / LRTI's and it has lower specificity compared to an AFB smear.. angry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Babalola1990: 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2013
Dr Hesjay, I sight you megaly!!! Tnx for all the help.. Sincere appreciation.. But u punch my nose a little with that "african mentality saga" LOL... Just caught in the middle!! Cheers Man!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2013

hyperprolactinemia, most likely from a pituitary tumour......

Usually, dopamine agonists e.g bromocriptine will resolve the galactorrhea, but surgery will remove the tumour

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:37pm On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx: Why would a Gram stain procedure be deemed unnecessary in the sputum sample of a patient recently diagnosed of pulmonary tuberculosis ?

A gram stain will not only be unnecessary but useless!!!

Gram staining can't stain MTb Cos of the mycolic acid present on the cell wall of the tuberculosis bacterium.....

You can only stain it with a ziel-nelseen stain(hope I got the Correct spelling embarassed)

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 10:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
Lagusta:

A gram stain will not only be unnecessary but useless!!!

Gram staining can't stain MTb Cos of the mycolic acid present on the cell wall of the tuberculosis bacterium.....

You can only stain it with a ziel-nelseen stain(hope I got the Correct spelling embarassed)

Right on target. Ziehl-Neelsen is the stain....but in climes where things are done efficiently - a rapid Auramin-Rhodamine stain is done first, then probably a Ziehl-Neelsen.

One drum shot of Goskolo for my oga at the top grin grin

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx:

Right on target. Ziehl-Neelsen is the stain....but in climes where things are done efficiently - a rapid Auramin-Rhodamine stain is done first, then probably a Ziehl-Neelsen.

And I can categorically tell you that this is the first time I'm hearing that method of staining!!!! embarassed
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Babalola1990: 10:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx:

cheesy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 10:19pm On Dec 30, 2013
armadeo:
pituatry adenoma. or other tumour

Anatomic + Pathologic diagnosis

Babalola1990: Prolactinoma?...

Anatomic + Pathologic diagnosis.

Lagusta:
hyperprolactinemia, most likely from a pituitary tumour......

Aetiologic diagnosis.

You're all correct. Hyperprolactinemia secondary to Pituitary Adenoma/Prolactinoma

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 10:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
Lagusta:

And I can categorically tell you that this is the first time I'm hearing that method of staining!!!! embarassed

Really? It's taught in theory. Me sef never see am before cheesy. But it's more rapid, and specific for M. Tb.

We learn everyday cheesy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Babalola1990: 10:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
lomaxx:

Really? It's taught in theory. Me sef never see am before cheesy. But it's more rapid, and specific for M. Tb.

We learn everyday cheesy
Yes boss! Learning is a continum. Hopefully we can have at least one of these clinical tasks on daily basis.. Keeps the thread informative cum enticing!! Abrazo Grande.. grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kommi(f): 10:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
Gud pm. I've bn following dis topic 4 sum days now nd i must say dat i hv learnt alot. I'm pleased 2 b a member.
I jst gaind adimisn to study MBBS in unical nd i hope 2learn lots of things dat wil help my career.
Tank u all.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lomaxx: 10:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
kommi: Gud pm. I've bn following dis topic 4 sum days now nd i must say dat i hv learnt alot. I'm pleased 2 b a member.
I jst gaind adimisn to study MBBS in unical nd i hope 2learn lots of things dat wil help my career.
Tank u all.

Finally a female member of the thread from South South Nigeria grin grin

Welcome Miss.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by teeyford(m): 11:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
kommi: Gud pm. I've bn following dis topic 4 sum days now nd i must say dat i hv learnt alot. I'm pleased 2 b a member.
Tank u all.
pls wah was ur aggregate?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kommi(f): 8:17am On Dec 31, 2013
tanx bro lomaxx
@tee_yford, i had an aggregate of 255 (it's my locality).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.