Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,412 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (336) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1832459 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 5:41pm On Jan 27, 2016
dearpiriye:
As much as these writeups are full of sense they dont reply apply in the african setting particularly nigeria. I will love to see medicine and medical school through the eyes of nigerian medical students.

Alright, true saying though sir.. But,. I know the language and construction for certain is exotic but the context of the message is true for all, whether western, Hispanic, praire or African; that medicine is in most views seen or treated as a choice of career than as a calling/vocation all around the world, constraining the goals, limits and idea of impacts to just "profession" thereby placing much value on personal interests, than when it's regarded as a service or ministration, where you administer to your patients and serve them, that way personal ends is secondary, service to save and make better now trenches utmost priority!! That was the message!! It's true for all physicians or aspiring physicians around the globe!! This mentality/idea of service as a clergy to his congregation or parishioners is rampant...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 6:03pm On Jan 27, 2016
flexcalvin:
Hi guys,i need ur help on advice.I am a medical aspirant,preparing for jamb 2016.I presently manage a shop newly opened by my brother which operates 7;30am- 10:00pm due to lack of admission in the previous year 2015.I struggle to manage my study and stress @ the shop everyday,some time I don't study as a result of stress.I want to be strong to manage the both,but am getting weaker the more especially in studies. What should I do plsssss.
I feel the hustle man, just keep motivating yourself, study hard/smart with the little time you get. Do not let yourself get discouraged, keep your sights on the end goal. Finally put your hands in God hands, you can't go wrong with Him. All the best bro, you would smile in the end.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 6:47pm On Jan 27, 2016
GideonOmach:

Alright, true saying though sir.. But,. I know the language and construction for certain is exotic but the context of the message is true for all, whether western, Hispanic, praire or African; that medicine is in most views seen or treated as a choice of career than as a calling/vocation all around the world, constraining the goals, limits and idea of impacts to just "profession" thereby placing much value on personal interests, than when it's regarded as a service or ministration, where you administer to your patients and serve them, that way personal ends is secondary, service to save and make better now trenches utmost priority!! That was the message!! It's true for all physicians or aspiring physicians around the globe!! This mentality/idea of service as a clergy to his congregation or parishioners is rampant...
i got the gist of all that but i will still prefer to see it thru the eyes of we we in naija.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by flexcalvin: 6:55pm On Jan 27, 2016
Am really greatful
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SDAC: 7:56pm On Jan 27, 2016
GideonOmach:

I dough my cap 4 u Gideon u are eloquent and I admire dat but on a conical and logical note, u are not communicating, u are flexing ur rich vocabulary and not everybody understand u thereby u are not passing d knowledge u want 2 pass. For dis reason many pple do not read wole soyinka work, if u read a book written by chinua achebe and a book written by wole, u would see d diff. Chunua communicates and even a primary school student would get and understand d message being passed, wole 2 me jst display his intellectual and vocab sagacity. So I tink u shld b explicit in ur writeup.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gbsks: 8:49pm On Jan 27, 2016
DrHesjay:

Baba, how far?
I advise that you study all d soft copies of those books to know which of them u prefer. Then get the hard copies of the ones u prefer...
This way, u won't waste money on books u won't eventually read.
Embryology...
People will tell u to get Saddler's or Developing Human. study the first 2 topics in the soft copies. Get the one u prefer. I use developing human b while majority of my class mates use Saddler's...
Biochemistry
They will tell u to get either Harpers or Lippincotts.
I made d mistake of not studying the soft copies, and I got Harpers.. I regret that decision till tomorrow.. I just wanted the money.. I dnt understand anything Inside d hook.. I just have a natural hatred for it. It has bn with a friend for over 5months now..
I cane across Vasudevan's and I loved it.. Then I got the hard copy.. And biochemistry became 'okro'.. Thats y u should study those books before buying..

Histology:
there are lots of options in histology.. But most people use Junquira. I also got junquira.. But later, I found 'Singh's'... and I bought the hardcopy.. Since then, Singh's became my first choice.. it simplifies everything.. Tho I still use d junquira sometimes.
Gross..
The big thing.. As usual... all students get Clinically oriented anatomy(Keith Moore)
If u r not rili the 'softcopy' person.. I advise u get 2 books on gross.. probably Keith Moore and Chaurasia... There's also one brilliant book that I came across.. can't remember d name but they call it 'Above/Below Diaphragm' The book has 2 volumes... 'Above Diaphragm' and 'below diaphragm'.. if u can get it.. good for u oo.. Most people dnt understand that Keith Moore wastes time.. or maybe I am d only one that sees that..
Physiology:
It all depends on what you like... But since u r coming to Ilorin.. get Ganong... u just have to use d book.. I hate the book tho'.. I prefer Guyton.. But in ilorin, u have no choice, if u dnt want to fail.. u just have to use Ganong..
Basically.. Get at least
* One Gross anatomy book
* One Physiology book
* One embryology book
* One biochemistry book
* One histology book.
* One Anatomy Atlas(Netters preferably)
* Cunningham Dissection manual
* A medical dictionary
You can get more, it depends on you..
But above all.. never get too far from your soft copies..
On each course, on d average, I have like 5 soft copy books each..
It helps.
Bro, what's ur take on gray's anatomy for student's textbook for gross anatomy, i've come across the book before and i think it's great. Cc.lomaxx, lagusta, charleymed, chartey.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Adebolade(m): 10:25pm On Jan 27, 2016
Pls any lasu 200/300 level student here kindly signify?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by taiocol: 12:11am On Jan 28, 2016
angiography:

I want to believe someone will find this useful.

Thanks sir Lomaxx

Invalid links
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by flexcalvin: 5:41am On Jan 28, 2016
Thanks for the word of encouragement @ millex
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Vicjay1(m): 8:13am On Jan 28, 2016
Gbsks:
Bro, what's ur take on gray's anatomy for student's textbook for gross anatomy, i've come across the book before and i think it's great. Cc.lomaxx, lagusta, charleymed, chartey.
hmm. Gray's that text scares me. I used it few months into my 200L. Abandoned it when I discovered Keith Moore and Chaurasia gat what I needed....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gbsks: 10:40am On Jan 28, 2016
Vicjay1:
hmm. Gray's that text scares me. I used it few months into my 200L. Abandoned it when I discovered Keith Moore and Chaurasia gat what I needed....
wha t scares you about the book?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Khan1993: 5:49pm On Jan 28, 2016
SDAC:
I dough my cap 4 u Gideon u are eloquent and I admire dat but on a conical and logical note, u are not communicating, u are flexing ur rich vocabulary and not everybody understand u thereby u are not passing d knowledge u want 2 pass. For dis reason many pple do not read wole soyinka work, if u read a book written by chinua achebe and a book written by wole, u would see d diff. Chunua communicates and even a primary school student would get and understand d message being passed, wole 2 me jst display his intellectual and vocab sagacity. So I tink u shld b explicit in ur writeup.
i think he was explicit enough sir. At least i didn't have to get a lexicon deciphering his diction. I respect people with great commandment of the english language expecially when they aren't into any english related course. To me, its creativity. But then i couldn't help but acquiesce with you that communication is the key to every conversation.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 6:04pm On Jan 28, 2016
SDAC:

Laughs Boss!!! True shaa, I grab Sir!!
What has merits has demerits too,
While Wole is good at grammar/vocabs and helps people to fumble through dictionaries and struggle with understanding the message or idea he's trying to pass, Chinua just passes the message and everything just ends, communication happens!
Great!
But Information/communication has a dual effect - the vocab improvement and the message. there are instances you hardly can pass the message we intended because words don't suit or can't express the full concept or impression of our message.. Communication hasn't taken place then.. It's not because there are no words to express the message but because we don't have them at our disposals, this hinders communication..
In an attempt to convey the true context of the message, what we title "VOCAB" results! However, this doesn't happen all the time,.
And I'm trying to say that information must not always be within the terms of our reach, though most times, it's not so.
In as much as the message is the fore figure in communication, vocabs is built alongside.. We'll always remain where we are if the information format are just in terms of the simple words we have ever learnt or always known. There'll be no improvement. so we have to be developed on both sides.. Chinua Achebe does this anyway and that's what gives him the edge..
Sorry abeg we no dey do mass communication/GST class here but improvement in learning should be all round - Being able to pass the message and also to help build your readers; none should exceed the other! This is what makes Wole boring somewhat for the general readers but it's good and bad shaa..

Sorry my text dey dey to lexical and boring! I'll readjust sir.

No doff for me oo boss! Na your boy I be oo Sir!!

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Khan1993: 6:05pm On Jan 28, 2016
flexcalvin:
Hi guys,i need ur help on advice.I am a medical aspirant,preparing for jamb 2016.I presently manage a shop newly opened by my brother which operates 7;30am- 10:00pm due to lack of admission in the previous year 2015.I struggle to manage my study and stress @ the shop everyday,some time I don't study as a result of stress.I want to be strong to manage the both,but am getting weaker the more especially in studies. What should I do plsssss.
I would be lying tell you I was once in your shoes. But i must commend your ethusiasm and vigour of not settling for less even with the task above you. Sir, studying has to do with the mind. Talk your books to the shop and read. Create in your mind an environment where you can study. Get the right books to read and avoid a desultory reading. Attempt enough PQ and dont forget to pray for favour and blessing.
And most importantly pick a school that isn't jamb score dependent. Hope you dig the last part.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 6:31pm On Jan 28, 2016
dearpiriye:
i got the gist of all that but i will still prefer to see it thru the eyes of we we in naija.

Laughs! It's well Sir!!
Maybe you could just help show us the way, at least! :-)))!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by GideonOmach(m): 6:49pm On Jan 28, 2016
flexcalvin:

Truly, you need motivation! I suffered that and I seemed like a stranger to myself.. I was just surprised at how wonderful I was, couldn't remember a thing and I was like worthless to myself with an empty skull!
I was motivated through extra murals.. There's always a way, any time, anyhow.. Motivate yourself.. You have a browsing phone, read articles about medicine online it'll challenge you and imagine yourself there already..
Let there be something that spurs you up or enamors you when you feel too tired or lazy to read.. That thing maybe medicals, it maybe personal life goals or ends and all that! Whatever it is, Just find something!!
And work!!
Prayer is the first always but it won't work if you don't work!!
Good grace Bro!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SDAC: 7:13pm On Jan 28, 2016
GideonOmach:

Laughs Boss!!! True shaa, I grab Sir!!
What has merits has demerits too,
While Wole is good at grammar/vocabs and helps people to fumble through dictionaries and struggle with understanding the message or idea he's trying to pass, Chinua just passes the message and everything just ends, communication happens!
Great!
But Information/communication has a dual effect - the vocab improvement and the message. there are instances you hardly can pass the message we intended because words don't suit or can't express the full concept or impression of our message.. Communication hasn't taken place then.. It's not because there are no words to express the message but because we don't have them at our disposals, this hinders communication..
In an attempt to convey the true context of the message, what we title "VOCAB" results! However, this doesn't happen all the time,.
And I'm trying to say that information must not always be within the terms of our reach, though most times, it's not so.
In as much as the message is the fore figure in communication, vocabs is built alongside.. We'll always remain where we are if the information format are just in terms of the simple words we have ever learnt or always known. There'll be no improvement. so we have to be developed on both sides.. Chinua Achebe does this anyway and that's what gives him the edge..
Sorry abeg we no dey do mass communication/GST class here but improvement in learning should be all round - Being able to pass the message and also to help build your readers; none should exceed the other! This is what makes Wole boring somewhat for the general readers but it's good and bad shaa..

Sorry my text dey dey to lexical and boring! I'll readjust sir.

No doff for me oo boss! Na your boy I be oo Sir!!
u are great nd I love great men hu culd spur me.

keep d flag flying

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 7:20pm On Jan 28, 2016
GideonOmach:

Laughs! It's well Sir!!
Maybe you could just help show us the way, at least! :-)))!
indeed it is. Give me time to work on that grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SDAC: 7:31pm On Jan 28, 2016
Pls if someone begins 2 read 4 JAMB now is he/ she out of place or late. I nid an answer urgently
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gbsks: 10:22pm On Jan 28, 2016
SDAC:
Pls if someone begins 2 read 4 JAMB now is he/
she out of place or late. I nid an answer urgently
well, i think it's possible if the person study hard. My opinion though....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by drdrei09: 10:39pm On Jan 28, 2016
SDAC:
it isn't late at bro, if you are diligent, you can still score 250+ if you start now
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by JSMMUYIWA(m): 11:14pm On Jan 28, 2016
SDAC:
Pls if someone begins 2 read 4 JAMB now is he/ she out of place or late. I nid an answer urgently
Baba,rebuke the mind of phobia and complacency by GOD. Install a dauntless and posotive mindset,then Bro; I dare to say you've gotten the foundation to build on within the time interval.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Emeritus242: 2:08am On Jan 29, 2016
hi everyone am a medsurg fresher_unical....I have been following this thread for quite sometime now; it feels exceedingly pleasurable to finally belong in the Med. family...I'd appreciate every candid advice from d veterans here tha will be helpful to me...thanks!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by flexcalvin: 5:30am On Jan 29, 2016
You guys are really amazing. I can't tell how gladden and motivated I feel after ur inspirational comments to my post...By God's grace I shall come with a testimony of admission this year in Jesus name.Amen

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by flexcalvin: 5:33am On Jan 29, 2016
Thanks...Khan and Gideon...I applied @ esut,but thinking of changing to unijos after jamb.I am from the east what are my chances @ jos...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by angiography(m): 5:36am On Jan 29, 2016
taiocol:

Invalid links

A little manoeuvring could help.

I downloaded Biochemistry and Snell just now.

Better still, u may want to read circa page 200 of this thread. There're plethoras of links there.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SDAC: 6:05am On Jan 29, 2016
drdrei09:
it isn't late at bro, if you are diligent, you can still score 250+ if you start now
TNX Bro u ve ignited mi spirit, I am reading but I feel am not doing my best. May God bless d person hu created dis thread nd d great members.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SDAC: 6:06am On Jan 29, 2016
JSMMUYIWA:

Baba,rebuke the mind of phobia and complacency by GOD.
Install a dauntless and posotive mindset,then Bro;
I dare to say you've gotten the foundation to build on within the time interval.
TNX so much am grateful.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SDAC: 6:06am On Jan 29, 2016
Gbsks:
well, i think it's possible if the person study hard. My opinion though....
TNX bro
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by elvis10ten(m): 7:03am On Jan 29, 2016
SDAC:
The goal is to know what to study then focus on your weak areas. There is an app to help you do that. Its a free jamb CBT software, that after taking a test it shows you your strong areas (topics you are good at) and weak areas. Here are more features:

- Over 20,000 questions
- Study helper: can tell your weak and strong areas in a subject
- jamb eSyllabus
- Past questions
- Performance Tracker
- Multiplayer
- School News
And lots more.

Download it on play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=elvis10ten.com.past_questions&hl=en
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 5:05pm On Jan 29, 2016
Hello guys, how's the day going? I was wondering if ya'll could help me check out a story I posted on my blog, https://sesansblog./2016/01/29/i-met-her-at-the-airport/. Please feel free to drop your feedback, criticism and what you think. enjoy
https://sesansblog./2016/01/29/i-met-her-at-the-airport/
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SDAC: 5:23pm On Jan 29, 2016
elvis10ten:

The goal is to know what to study then focus on your weak areas. There is an app to help you do that. Its a free jamb CBT software, that after taking a test it shows you your strong areas (topics you are good at) and weak areas. Here are more features:

- Over 20,000 questions
- Study helper: can tell your weak and strong areas in a subject
- jamb eSyllabus
- Past questions
- Performance Tracker
- Multiplayer
- School News
And lots more.

Download it on play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=elvis10ten.com.past_questions&hl=en
TNX so much

(1) (2) (3) ... (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) (339) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.