Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (441) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1833054 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Obakenny01(m): 9:19am On Apr 22, 2017
Vikky014:
It depends on the sch. unizik dnt need dt

Thanks man. Do u know of Oda schools that don't require it?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Obakenny01(m): 9:20am On Apr 22, 2017
dearpiriye:
it depends on the university

Thanks man. Do u know of Oda schools that don't require it?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RoastedCorn(m): 11:00am On Apr 22, 2017
Travails of a young Nigerian medical student

It all started with readers are leaders,
Well,that may be true but our parents should have given exceptions,
They should have helped us developed the other aspects of our lives we didn't know exists,
Instead they cajoled us into this world of lies.

They told us medicine is secured,
Once you graduate immediately you get a job,
So most of us entered medical school for the ego and money,
One is already lost and the other is slowly following suit.

Through Topping classes in secondary school,
Through the rigour of passing WAEC and jamb,
Not leaving out post-utme for those of us that wrote,
We entered medical,the so much hyped medical school.

100level was normal,just like secondary school days,
200level hunted us with Anatomy,
It stung us with physiology,
And competed with mosquitoes in making us sleepless with medical biochemistry.

Could life be any harder,
Anatomy invaded our vocabulary with medial,lateral,superior, inferior just to mention a few,
Physiology proliferated out tongue with -ilia, -penia, syndromes, -esia ,-cytosis and so on,
And of course medical biochemistry wasn't left out,it stuck to our oral cavity with acetylCoA, -glcerates, phosphates and so on.

Classes everyday,
Practicals following closely ending in the evenings,
The only time we have for ourselves being in the night when other students are sleeping,
And amidst all these every time I want to wear my shoe,the number on it reminds me of my test scores,
Most of us haven't failed any exam before,
Most of us have so much confidence in our intelligence,
But the orientation of a Nigerian medical school is different,
In your intelligence You might fail.

The Nigerian medical education system is built in a way to frustrate its students,
To undermine the students efforts,
A lecturer once told us that the lecturer is not happy if any of his students fail,
But yet he'd mark their exam and only 50% would pass,
But yet if the failed students were studying in Germany they'd pass the same exam,
Our exams are harder than that of our colleagues abroad,
Yet their medical system and school is better than ours.

Our social life is reduced to zilch,
Keith Moore hunts us in our dreams,
Guyton is our alarm clock, it wakes us up if we try to sleep longer than normal,
Our phones are so boring only filled with plethora of medical apps and textbooks,
We're in school while other students are having semester and sessional breaks,
Christmas is bae,because that is when we get to see all our friends medical school forcefully took away our closeness.

But in all these,we still strive to be the best,
We still struggle to read every time we imagine ourselves in that white coat,
Amidst all the failed tests and frustration we still persevere,
This might be me being melancholic yes,
But this is the typical story of a young Nigerian medical student.

Horiawlar,
200level BDS Benin.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 1:15pm On Apr 22, 2017
Wizydom144:
Today we sincerely sympathize with them....

Indeed there are medical schools in west Africa, but in the midst of all is one with 7 black horns and 10 eyes, that has fire and acid coming out from his mouth....
To me, I will say its the Toughest place to study medicine or Dentistry due to her overly strict and tight rules.....

Honestly, we were in rude/deep shock and great consternation when our attention was drawn to the outcome of the 2nd MBBS professional exam written by the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery and the faculty of Dentistry/Dental Surgery both in the College of Medicine University of Nig...
It was pathetic....it wasn't funny at all....
My heart bleeds for most of them and putting myself in their shoes, I am even scared of my ownself...
Such a result cannot be pasted even in HELL....because the devil will reject it, But here it is in the land of the living...
To the aspirants that want to choose the 2 courses above....Pray for God's direction, one thing is coming in, Another is passing out....it is not a case of I must be a doctor, it is not easy at all.......
You should know how painful it is when one fails Jamb....let alone failing MBBS and repeating or be Withdrawn from the course you laboured so much for many years...
I heard someone had wanted to commit suicide out of frustration if not that the security have to get hold of him....
Look at the statistics : in medicine : 107 out of 273 passed that's 39.79% passed.
33 will resit (8 resit bch, 4resit anat, 21 resit physio)....
In dentistry :10 out of 47 passed that's 21.1% passed
2 will resit (1 resit physio, 1resit bch)
Others who didn't fall within the category above will either Repeat or be Withdrawn depending in the degree of their failure....
And note: about 20 people was disqualified from writing this exam because they were unable to attend 75% attendance to one of the courses for 2nd mb and we also heard that 51 in 400l was equally disqualified from writing 3rd MB....

Remember that these people are not dumb...most of them are Genius but MB have a way of rubbishing great intellectuals
Prayer Chain
Please, in the next 30 mins, let's take out time to pray for the 2nd MB medical/Dental students who failed their MBBS exams. The hearts of many are failing. Please find a secluded place and say intense words of prayer for them within the next 30 minutes. Let's salvage the souls of many from the enemy. We don't want to hear of suicides or madness. Let's redeem their souls in prayers wherever they are.
on the mount Zion, there is always a hope.. God will see them through in the quest to the zenith of medical practice. Pray for Gods grace, they need it!
Wisdom
God will favour them..
but how come the so much admission wen they know they cant accommodate them all..
273 .haa
i taught MDCN gave quota to all med school na.
just admit and latter on break there heart.hmm.

was scared wen i heard my school admitted MBBS close to 365 some years ago and only 47 graduated straight.
65 BDS and graduated only 5
punish others with resit , repeat and withdraw.

wen my school lost there accreditation they calm down to the normal quota.

God will favour/help them sha.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Stephaustin(m): 2:23pm On Apr 22, 2017
Wizydom144:

Yea somebody can be admitted with that in DE but it is very hard bc most pple apply with degree, and most of them are probably Unn/uI graduates coming for 2nd degree in Med......
But I know somebody that got Medlab with SLT from Oko poly......
Just pray and run ur stuff
Its 60:40 % olevel to UTME result......and note: I heard DE students might write screening this year
Thank you a million times.
I am grateful.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 3:43pm On Apr 22, 2017
Wizydom144:

Yea somebody can be admitted with that in DE but it is very hard bc most pple apply with degree, and most of them are probably Unn/uI graduates coming for 2nd degree in Med......
But I know somebody that got Medlab with SLT from Oko poly......
Just pray and run ur stuff
Its 60:40 % olevel to UTME result......and note: I heard DE students might write screening this year
ASIDE MEDLAB AND OPTOMETRY, YOU CANT APPLY FOR ANY HEALTH COURSE WITH AN ND OR HND

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Stephaustin(m): 7:09pm On Apr 23, 2017
simba1:
ASIDE MEDLAB AND OPTOMETRY, YOU CANT APPLY FOR ANY HEALTH COURSE WITH AN ND OR HND
Oh!
Thank you very much for this invaluable contribution. I am immensely grateful.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Stephaustin(m): 7:16pm On Apr 23, 2017
Penboy:
Aiit
Please, I sent you an e-mail sir.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 9:23am On Apr 24, 2017
Great Nigerians, great students and great medics. I want to use this opportunity to solicit your support, advice and guidance.
Please I am confused and deeply disturbed, disturbed concerning this coming UTME and subsequent 2017/2018 admissions. I want to study either of biochemistry,microbiology,physiology or anatomy as first degree in any of these uni Delsu,absu,ansu,imsu,funai, esut before proceeding to study medicine. Then my questions are as follows:
Can I cross over to medicine on the successful completion of the aforementioned programs
Must it be through direct entry or does other media exist
Which unis allow their medical students complete a BSc in any basic biomedical sciences eg biochem, physiology e.t.c for 3/4yrs before the 3/4yr medical/clinical program leading to the award of mbbs. I heard of Delsu's similar policy but havn't confirmed really yet. What is the normal utme cutoff for biochem. And finally what are my chances to be admitted in delsu or Absu to study either of medicine or biochemistry being from Anambra state. Thanks in advance
dasamek8@gmail.com
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kings1464(m): 8:51am On Apr 25, 2017
SPORE:
But 2.5 is considered sha

Example of Universities that can accept it please
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrBESTJC(m): 4:03pm On Apr 26, 2017
Hello friends!

I am an UI MBBS aspirant.

I need to know whether first year students of medicine and surgery in University of Ibadan offers mathematics

Also,do you know whether having an indept knowledge of mathematics can be beneficial as an MBBs student or (as a doctor)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 26, 2017
DrBESTJC:
Hello friends!

I am an UI MBBS aspirant.

I need to know whether first year students of medicine and surgery in University of Ibadan offers mathematics

Also,do you know whether having an indept knowledge of mathematics can be beneficial as an MBBs student or (as a doctor)
You're welcome bro
No maths as per ui mbbs 1ool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 6:54pm On Apr 26, 2017
dasamek8:
Great Nigerians, great students and great medics. I want to use this opportunity to solicit your support, advice and guidance.
Please I am confused and deeply disturbed, disturbed concerning this coming UTME and subsequent 2017/2018 admissions. I want to study either of biochemistry,microbiology,physiology or anatomy as first degree in any of these uni Delsu,absu,ansu,imsu,funai, esut before proceeding to study medicine. Then my questions are as follows:
Can I cross over to medicine on the successful completion of the aforementioned programs
Which unis allow their medical students complete a BSc in any basic biomedical sciences eg biochem, physiology e.t.c for 3/4yrs before the 3/4yr medical/clinical program leading to the award of mbbs. I heard of Delsu's similar policy but havn't confirmed really yet. What is the normal utme cutoff for biochem. And finally what are my chances to be admitted in delsu or Absu to study either of medicine or biochemistry being from Anambra state. Thanks in advance
dasamek8@gmail.com
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:16pm On Apr 26, 2017
[quote author=dasamek8 post=55945528][/quote]
Well from your write up,
You can apply to study medicine and surgery in any Nigerian universities after first degree via DE with a first class or 2.1(should the competition is fierce) in any of the BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES.

Concerning you second questions if i get it right, during preclinicals(200l-300l) you're going to offer anatomy, physiology and biochemistry as a course.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 7:14am On Apr 27, 2017
Ajet001:

Well from your write up,
You can apply to study medicine and surgery in any Nigerian universities after first degree via DE with a first class or 2.1(should the competition is fierce) in any of the BASIC MEDICAL SCIENCES.

Concerning you second questions if i get it right, during preclinicals(200l-300l) you're going to offer anatomy, physiology and biochemistry as a course.

yea bro thanks, but the issue is that I will like to have degree in bioch before going for mbbs as done in some american institutions and probably Delsuth.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 27, 2017
dasamek8:

yea bro thanks, but the issue is that I will like to have degree in bioch before going for mbbs as done in some american institutions and probably Delsuth.
Well if that is what you want, go for it.,
But why don't you secure your admission via UTME rather than wasting time for your first degree .
Since MBBS is what you want in the first place.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 9:01am On Apr 27, 2017
dasamek8:

even if you get a degree in biochemistry you will still start from 200l
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 27, 2017
dasamek8:
dasamek8@gmail.com

Hello! I'm actually a medical aspirant too but lemme talk my own 'little boy' talk.
I don't really know why you want to do a BMS first but if it's because you're scared of the competition for admission, why not just, instead of spending all those years on a BMS, go for A'levels?
It saves time as it's just a 1-year programme and the expense, in the long run, is not too different from that of a complete four year plus one (considering IT) BMS (may be even less).
The most important is that it saves time.
You can check up on JUPEB, IJMB or, preferably, CAMBRIDGE A'levels (with which you can even apply to foreign schools).

Just a suggestion.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 3:27pm On Apr 27, 2017
dearpiriye:
even if you get a degree in biochemistry you will still start from 200l
Thats it dear, just that I heard from one man in Delsu that such is done in delsu whereby a mbbs student is first allowed to complete a course in either anatomy,physiology or biochemistry. Anyway, just scared about admissions especially pertaining to medicine
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Sharon8: 3:44pm On Apr 27, 2017
Hello everyone, pls does anyone know if unizik accepts direct entry for medicine and surgery...... I need answers ASAP pleaseeeeeee!!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 3:47pm On Apr 27, 2017
EbenMA:

Hello! I'm actually a medical aspirant too but lemme talk my own 'little boy' talk.
I don't really know why you want to do a BMS first but if it's because you're scared of the competition for admission, why not just, instead of spending all those years on a BMS, go for A'levels?
It saves time as it's just a 1-year programme and the expense, in the long run, is not too different from that of a complete four year plus one (considering IT) BMS (may be even less).
The most important is that it saves time.
You can check up on JUPEB, IJMB or, preferably, CAMBRIDGE A'levels (with which you can even apply to foreign schools).

Just a suggestion.
Reasons why I have chosen that way
1 admissions issues as related to medicine
2 passion for the biological science and science in general as related to biology and chemistry where analysis,computation,synthesis and other scientific activities are involved
3 Just like delsu biochem dpt
4 the essence of biochemistry or microbiology in medical and biol sci is tremendious
5 If I am not chanced to study Mbbs again bioch cert may prove useful cos I am considering to further my career abroad
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 3:58pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ajet001:

Well if that is what you want, go for it.,
But why don't you secure your admission via UTME rather than wasting time for your first degree .
Since MBBS is what you want in the first place.
love the both but if I am assured of medsurg I may not hesitate to take it. I need help for admissions into any of the above courses in any eastern Nig. University
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by faithugo64(f): 6:03pm On Apr 27, 2017
Errm (coughs)

Good evening all

Any RN/nursing student in the house?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 27, 2017
dasamek8:

love the both but if I am assured of medsurg I may not hesitate to take it. I need help for admissions into any of the above courses in any eastern Nig. University
Wait, did you intend applying for JAMB's UTME this year.(either for MBBS or BMS)

I have to be clear with somethings..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 8:29pm On Apr 27, 2017
dasamek8:

Thats it dear, just that I heard from one man in Delsu that such is done in delsu whereby a mbbs student is first allowed to complete a course in either anatomy,physiology or biochemistry. Anyway, just scared about admissions especially pertaining to medicine
hmm....... Find out well.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 8:48pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ajet001:

Wait, did you intend applying for JAMB's UTME this year.(either for MBBS or BMS)

I have to be clear with somethings..
I have already applied for utme. Am done with the Reg.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 8:49pm On Apr 27, 2017
dearpiriye:
hmm....... Find out well.
k I will
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dezkid15(m): 9:55pm On Apr 27, 2017
jerryile:
Success to all medical aspirants in d UTME. Am a uniben 400l pharmacy student. All uniben pharmacy aspirants, can ask deir questions. I will be here to guide u.
pls whats the number of students that are normally admited into pharmacy at uniben?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:59pm On Apr 27, 2017
dasamek8:
I have already applied for utme. Am done with the Reg.
Ok! Then you put in BIOCHEMISTRY Delsu.??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 10:09pm On Apr 27, 2017
Ajet001:
Ok! Then you put in BIOCHEMISTRY Delsu.??
Right dear
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 10:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
Any scenario, where an OND/HND Or RN holder are considered for D.E into medsurg
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 11:16pm On Apr 27, 2017
dasamek8:
Any scenario, where an OND/HND Or RN holder are considered for D.E into medsurg
haven't seen

(1) (2) (3) ... (438) (439) (440) (441) (442) (443) (444) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.