Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,395 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (444) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1843470 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ModusOperandi(f): 9:30pm On May 05, 2017
Millex:
Hmmmm nice one but isn't the aim of TPR in arterioles so that the blood flow to kidney nd liver can be increased?

Ok in a case of a prolonged case of hypotension not from hemorrhage, also you didn't relate hypertension and renal perfusion
Total peripheral resistance impedes blood flow.

There are many ways in which the body compensates for a decrease in BP, but with basically the same mechanisms. I gave an instance, as you didn't specify.

Hypertension would increase renal perfusion ( BP is directly proportional to Blood volume, CO, stroke volume).

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by chukwukapromise(m): 3:38pm On May 06, 2017
Saw this funny question in one funny past question........ Discuss /Treponema/ /pallidium/ under the following heading. *patogenesis *mode of transmission *symptoms *diagnosis just say make i ask our oga's
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 4:08pm On May 06, 2017
[quote author=faithugo64 post=56242070][/quote]
So, what's the fee like from 200level.??
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 4:43pm On May 06, 2017
How is the fee like in UI?
Wen entering and also from year 2 til graduation.
#dearpiriye
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gr8amechi: 8:04pm On May 06, 2017
[quote author=dasamek8 post=56122207][/quote]no
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gr8amechi: 8:10pm On May 06, 2017
lepasharon:
Medicine in the UK is not looking good at all for me sad

Anyone study graduate entry medicine somewhere in europe?
please share what are the challenges
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gr8amechi: 8:19pm On May 06, 2017
dasamek8:
Great Nigerians, great students and great medics. I want to use this opportunity to solicit your support, advice and guidance.
Please I am confused and deeply disturbed, disturbed concerning this coming UTME and subsequent 2017/2018 admissions. I want to study either of biochemistry,microbiology,physiology or anatomy as first degree in any of these uni Delsu,absu,ansu,imsu,funai, esut before proceeding to study medicine. Then my questions are as follows:
Can I cross over to medicine on the successful completion of the aforementioned programs
Must it be through direct entry or does other media exist
Which unis allow their medical students complete a BSc in any basic biomedical sciences eg biochem, physiology e.t.c for 3/4yrs before the 3/4yr medical/clinical program leading to the award of mbbs. I heard of Delsu's similar policy but havn't confirmed really yet. What is the normal utme cutoff for biochem. And finally what are my chances to be admitted in delsu or Absu to study either of medicine or biochemistry being from Anambra state. Thanks in advance
dasamek8@gmail.com
Sorry getting a first degree doesn't guarantee your entering into clinical class on admission. If you do a first degree you will need to be admitted through direct entry into 200 level, so my advice is seek direct utme admission into medicine once don't put your self through that stress, for more info on Delsu medical school you can pm me I will be there to help
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dearpiriye: 9:15pm On May 06, 2017
ISISs:
How is the fee like in UI?
Wen entering and also from year 2 til graduation.
#dearpiriye
acceptance_30k
Accommodation_14k
School fees_22k yrs 1 and 2......maybe 1k extra
School fees_33k clinicals......" " "
Reduces to 29k in 600l
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 9:22pm On May 06, 2017
dearpiriye:
acceptance_30k
Accommodation_14k
School fees_22k yrs 1 and 2......maybe 1k extra
School fees_33k clinicals......" " "
Reduces to 29k in 600l
Thank u.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:17am On May 07, 2017
Millex,
Hypotension is simply a reduction in blood pressure, and since blood pressure is a product of cardiac out and total peripheral resistance, then the causes of hypotension are many, not just from acute blood loss. In hypotension the perfusion of vital organs like the kidneys and liver are reduced, because the TPR and CO are needed to maintain adequate blood flow.

The body sees hypotension as an anomaly, and hence one which must be correct. The first thing the body system does is to employ the sympathoadrenal system, this is due to a reduction in the amount of impulses sent to the medullary center from the carotid and aortic bodies , which it interprets as a decrease in blood pressure, hence it increases the amount of impulses in the sympathetic outflow to the heart, blood vessels and adrenal glands (to increase catecholamine secretion), in a bid to restore homeostasis. But if this fails to correct the blood pressure, then...

The renal system now comes to the rescue. Here, the macula densa of the JGA responds to basically three stimuli (hypovolaemia, hyponatremia and increased sympathetic activity), any of which is capable of activating the renin angiotensin aldosterone -ADH system via the production of renin by the juxtaglomerular cells. The activation of the RAAS will increase fluid retention, and TPR through the vasoconstrictive effect of angiotensin 11 on the blood vessels. But, if this mechanism fails to restore the blood pressure, for instance in a decompasated heart failure... That's when you now talk about the effects it would have, not just on the kidneys and liver but on other vital organs in the body.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:44am On May 07, 2017
On the kidney, prolonged hypoperfusion which is a squeal of reduced blood pressure, will first result in a decrease in the amount of urine produced (oliguria) which is more like a compensatory mechanism aimed at fluid retention. If the hypotension persists, the initial oliguric phase now moves to anuria, where no urine is produced at all, the is also aimed at fluid conservation. Also note that, the kidney needs a reasonable amount of blood supply for its normal functions, and in protracted hypotension as this, this is drastically reduced. Then after a while, the nephrons begin to die (tubular necrosis), due to the fact that they don't get enough nutrients and oxygen .
Then when an appreciable number of nephrons have been lost (let's say 70%),the kidney loses its ability to conserve fluid, and the anuric phase in which no urine is produced now becomes a polyuric phase in which excessive amount of fluid is lost due to the inability of the renal to reabsorb fluid. Then the kidney fails...

The same thing happens to the liver and other vital organs, if the liver doesn't get enough oxygen and nutrient due hypoperfusion secondary to hypotension, there is a gradual reduction in its synthetic functions and other sequels.
But the effect on the liver is not as acute as that on the kidney, this is because unlike like the kidney that is perfused by just one artery, the renal artery. The blood supply to the liver is not restricted to a single vessel, and liver failure takes a more gradual process.

Relating hypertension to the renal and hepatic system, is basically the opposite of what I have been talking about. In hypertension, there's adequate perfusion of the kidneys and RAAS is not activated. The nervous system also plays a part to reduce the blood pressure to normal by reducing sympathetic discharge.
But protracted hypertension just as I explained for hypotension, has several damaging effects to all organ system, and especially the small blood vessels... Which could rupture due to excessive pressure.
And in specific conditions like portal hypertension, the function of the liver is drastically affected.

It all depends on what your interest is.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by codlord: 9:50am On May 07, 2017
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by boladeen(m): 11:14am On May 07, 2017
I need help. pls I want to know if us man danfodio university have started admitting direct entry student to Dia pharmacy department. and I will love to know what the cost is like. I will b grateful for d help. thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dasamek8: 8:46pm On May 07, 2017
Gr8amechi:

Sorry getting a first degree doesn't guarantee your entering into clinical class on admission. If you do a first degree you will need to be admitted through direct entry into 200 level, so my advice is seek direct utme admission into medicine once don't put your self through that stress, for more info on Delsu medical school you can pm me I will be there to help
u ar welcum
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by chukwukapromise(m): 10:00pm On May 07, 2017
charleymed:
On the kidney, prolonged hypoperfusion which is a squeal of reduced blood pressure, will first result in a decrease in the amount of urine produced (oliguria) which is more like a compensatory mechanism aimed at fluid retention. If the hypotension persists, the initial oliguric phase now moves to anuria, where no urine is produced at all, the is also aimed at fluid conservation. Also note that, the kidney needs a reasonable amount of blood supply for its normal functions, and in protracted hypotension as this, this is drastically reduced. Then after a while, the nephrons begin to die (tubular necrosis), due to the fact that they don't get enough nutrients and oxygen .
mr charleymed abeg carry Go jare. Who be that Witch doctor way talk say u no go be fetal surgeon?? E no day look BRAIN...so dr charley, have u started ur housemanship? or still in unijos

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by castrokiller(m): 11:56pm On May 07, 2017
docs in the house. i appreciate what u do here. i have a problem: i dont seem to concentrate i.e focus well. and i hate cofee. what do u guys think of brain enhancing drugs or any other medication that aids focusing or anything related. views and criticism are warmly welcomed.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 6:27am On May 08, 2017
charleymed:
Then when an appreciable number of nephrons have been lost (let's say 70%),the kidney loses its ability to conserve fluid, and the anuric phase in which no urine is produced now becomes a polyuric phase in which excessive amount of fluid is lost due to the inability of the renal to reabsorb fluid. Then the kidney fails...

The same thing happens to the liver and other vital organs, if the liver doesn't get enough oxygen and nutrient due hypoperfusion secondary to hypotension, there is a gradual reduction in its synthetic functions and other sequels.
But the effect on the liver is not as acute as that on the kidney, this is because unlike like the kidney that is perfused by just one artery, the renal artery. The blood supply to the liver is not restricted to a single vessel, and liver failure takes a more gradual process.

Relating hypertension to the renal and hepatic system, is basically the opposite of what I have been talking about. In hypertension, there's adequate perfusion of the kidneys and RAAS is not activated. The nervous system also plays a part to reduce the blood pressure to normal by reducing sympathetic discharge.
But protracted hypertension just as I explained for hypotension, has several damaging effects to all organ system, and especially the small blood vessels... Which could rupture due to excessive pressure.
And in specific conditions like portal hypertension, the function of the liver is drastically affected.

It all depends on what your interest is.
Thank you.
Well put, just exactly what i was hoping to see.... I understand the cardiac part but havent gotten to the renal part of the story yet, we just gonna start that block in physiology, but you have demystified the second part for me.

I understand that when there is hypotension, perfusion is low which leads to ischemia of the cells of kidney and liver also there would re retention of some bad proteins and toxins which would have been filtered and detoxifyed by the liver. I salute you sir

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 6:30am On May 08, 2017
castrokiller:
docs in the house. i appreciate what u do here. i have a problem: i dont seem to concentrate i.e focus well. and i hate cofee. what do u guys think of brain enhancing drugs or any other medication that aids focusing or anything related. views and criticism are warmly welcomed.
Try getting adequate sleep, drink enough water and take breaks when studying the key is to study for short periods over time, like 45 mins with 10 minutes break interval where you do any other thing. With this when u come back you would be coming back with fresh eyes. Plus i guess u eed to take your fear and let it motivate you

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 6:34am On May 08, 2017
chukwukapromise:
mr charleymed abeg carry Go jare. Who be that Witch doctor way talk say u no go be fetal surgeon?? E no day look BRAIN...so dr charley, have u started ur housemanship? or still in unijos
Good morning sir, thanks for your warm compliments. I'm still a student at the moment.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 6:38am On May 08, 2017
castrokiller:
I perfectly understand this feelings because I have been there too. You're not as bad as you think, it's just a feeling. All you need to do is to set a goal and try and work towards achieving it gradually, you don't need anything cognitive enhancers, all you need is renewer of mind. Don't follow the society or do things to please people, just devise a way of leading your life and you would be fine.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by esivue007(m): 6:53am On May 08, 2017
hello docs? any LASU MBBS student in d room or beta still any body DAT knw dis question should quotes.
currently,I'm a fresher in LASU and I'm a MBBS student,pls any body dat knw d cost of practising MBBS in lasu,and some useful textbook for my anatomy,physiology& biochemistry,wen I reach 200l will l still be in lasu main campus or teaching hospital?
and I want you people should recommend some textbooks for me bout dose courses mention above...
have heard abt d likes of guyton.Saladin etc and d cost of buying them all.
thanks in advance
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by chukwukapromise(m): 11:28am On May 08, 2017
charleymed:
Good morning sir, thanks for your warm compliments. I'm still a student at the moment.
Wow with all this Expository skills?... So what level exactly?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by chukwukapromise(m): 4:08pm On May 08, 2017
castrokiller:
i would'nt say you have encelphaligitis but reather will call it d devil antics!...One funny thing is that you know u're not focused and you don't know what to do about it!....My broda ur problem is strange but the solution is common!. All you need to do just like our OGA charleymed have said is to set goals for everyday and make sure you follow it to the last!...Dont let circumstances change your goal-setting, take break while reading and don't let any devil tell you that you are'nt focused!....put God in all things, and tel yourself some motivational words like "very soon i'll be a doctor, i'll make my parent proud of me, i'll be better than my peers, so i need to read harder"....
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by chukwukapromise(m): 4:31pm On May 08, 2017
esivue007:
hello docs? any LASU MBBS student in d room or beta still any body DAT knw dis question should quotes.
currently,I'm a fresher in LASU and I'm a MBBS student,pls any body dat knw d cost of practising MBBS in lasu,and some useful textbook for my anatomy,physiology& biochemistry,wen I reach 200l will l still be in lasu main campus or teaching hospital?
and I want you people should recommend some textbooks for me bout dose courses mention above...
thanks in advance
my broda congratulation to ur mbbs admission, wish i could answer all those question,.. But will like to ask you when did you get ur admission letter and also what were ur jamb score and o-level result??-------------for books to buy just stroll backward the page and u'll see text-books recommended by gurus...For the school fees u should no beta dan i, but i think it should be above 250k for medicine!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DavidHunds(m): 12:59am On May 09, 2017
esivue007:
thanks in advance

Talking about cost? I guess you mean fees? That's 25k now ,at least for 100L,subsequent fees aren't significantly different too

No, you won't remain in Ojo Campus after completing year 1,you'd move to the teaching hospital.

About the medical texts, I'd advise you focus on transition for now ,as you don't need any of that for year 1

All the best

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by esivue007(m): 12:02am On May 10, 2017
DavidHunds:
Talking about cost? I guess you mean fees? That's 25k now ,at least for 100L,subsequent fees aren't significantly different too

No, you won't remain in Ojo Campus after completing year 1,you'd move to the teaching hospital.

About the medical texts, I'd advise you focus on transition for now ,as you don't need any of that for year 1

All the best
thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Jodha(f): 1:26pm On May 10, 2017
Someone should please help me with the links to download... Physiology.. Anatomy.. And biochemistry textbooks...

I've been scrolling through the thread... Can't find them..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by paritybit: 5:10pm On May 10, 2017
If you need any medical textbook check ebuksonline.com or call 07068514137
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by adebayomatt: 4:44pm On May 11, 2017
Good day, Good to be in the house. Part 2 BDS OAU. Welcome me into the house o.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 8:45pm On May 11, 2017
Please med students i wanna do a lecture schedule comparism mind if i get inputs please wats a typical day like in ur school
Especially 200l medicine
In mine its lectures 8-6 practical in between

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by chukwukapromise(m): 9:06pm On May 11, 2017
Millex:
Please med students i wanna do a lecture schedule comparism mind if i get inputs please wats a typical day like in ur school
Especially 200l medicine
In mine its lectures 8-6 practical in between

what med school are you in bro? and when did yu enter?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Millex(m): 9:34pm On May 11, 2017
chukwukapromise:
what med school are you in bro? and when did yu enter?
UNIMEDS last year... In 200

(1) (2) (3) ... (441) (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.