Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,654 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (851) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1823477 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by adeolabakare: 12:35pm On Aug 26, 2022
Lagusta:

WELCOME TO DA CLUB!!!!! I promise u will hav an unforgettable experience as u start ur journey....

Since u r a fresher, u will resume 100L studying the basic sciences I.e physics, chemistry and biology, maybe maths (we don't do maths in unilorin). Then u spend the next two years (the preclinical years) studying the basic medical sciences I.e anatomy, physiology and biochenistry. In unilorin, we also do a bit of behavioural sciences, microbiology, epidemiology and a WHO program called COBES.

Now, when u get to 400L, you will do harder basic sciences: pathology and pharmacology, but u will also be introduced to the clinical sciences: medicine surgery, paediatrics and obstetrics and gynaecology. Finally in your last two years, yow will deal with only clinical sciences, including the surgical specialties, community health and psychiatry. Making a total of 6yrs.

After graduation, u will be pre-registered into the MDCN (medical and dental council of nigeria) and start your housemanship for one full year (don't worry, u will be paid salary), then you will go for service, but be preparing to write your primaries exam, in order for u to specialize in your place of interest I.e surgery, am I correct

Well, that's that for now...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaYBe_vxlDMlaq-d4uMlGfA This channel will be of great help for Anatomy lectures, by a Nigerian lecturer. Visit and thank me latter
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by adeolabakare: 12:36pm On Aug 26, 2022
ebsuguy:
Hi....by Jehovah's undeserved kindness i will be a 300L EBSU medical student cos am about writing my last exam in 200L

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaYBe_vxlDMlaq-d4uMlGfA This channel will be of great help for Anatomy lectures, by a Nigerian lecturer. Visit and thank me latter

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ruggedfighter: 12:36pm On Aug 26, 2022
horpeyemmi66:

Where's the logic in doing ND, Pharm Tech and then going on to do Biochemistry?

It's advisable for you to either write the UTME and apply for Pharmacy or you go on to do your HND in Pharm Tech.

Both options are better than doing Biochemistry as far as Nigeria is concerned.

My 2Cents.
I concur 100%

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrOptimistic: 12:58pm On Aug 26, 2022
Good day medical students and medical doctors

I am a medical student in a Federal University in Nigeria, but due to the protracted ASUU strike and incessant strike actions embarked upon by ASUU yearly, I decide to source for other means abroad. I have been offered admission to study M.D program (Doctor of Medicine) in a University in the Caribbean (Barbados to be precise) and new session is to commence this September, but I don't know whether to go for it or not. So I have bothering questions to ask.

My questions are:
1. Is a Barbados a good country to study Medicine?

2. What can you say about studying Medicine in the Caribbean and studying Medicine in Nigeria? Which one is more preferable and better? Which one will you advise someone to go for?

Your advice will be much appreciated.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 1:03pm On Aug 26, 2022
Froshchuksswart:

It depends on the school like UNN money is everything there so far you can buy 1 big AC and 1 Gen for the faculty or if you have your 500k your GP Doesn’t matter
Brother, Does it require borrowing of course in 100level and 200level respectively in UNIZIK? How is it done in UNN in regards to seeming issues borrowing of courses?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 1:07pm On Aug 26, 2022
DrOptimistic:

I am a medical student in a Federal University in Nigeria, but due to the protracted ASUU strike and incessant strike actions embarked upon by ASUU yearly, I decide to source for other means abroad. I have been offered admission to study M.D program (Doctor of Medicine) in a University in the Caribbean (Barbados to be precise) and new session is to commence this September, but I don't know whether to go for it or not. So I have bothering questions to ask.

My questions are:

2. What can you say about studying Medicine in the Caribbean and studying Medicine in Nigeria? Which one is more preferable and better? Which one will you advise someone to go for?

Congratulations on your admission bro.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Xandre: 2:57pm On Aug 26, 2022
Kedro:
Admission is now regulated with JAMB CAPS, even if your father owns the school, if you don't meet the cutoff for your department and the school sends your name to Jamb caps, it will be rejected. The only thing your aunt can do is to influence the cutoff to accommodate your score, which is very unlikely depending on general performance.
CAPS itself is corrupt! It just depends on how strong your supposed connect is.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gemineye: 3:42pm On Aug 26, 2022
DrOptimistic:

My questions are:

congratulations on your admission bro. Regarding your first question...you might be able to get some answers on you tube. Some African folks studying there could have YouTube channels dedicated to documenting their experiences. Vlogs also could help get a better picture

Jakpa is the surest way now.. this incessant strike action won't cease this year. I'm sure there'll be series of others . ASUU will definitely conjure up something next year, the one after that etc.

I'm also looking for a way out of this corntree, if i could get some pointers from you... it'd be much appreciated

Was thinking of going for private University, but a friend of mine was like, what's the big difference, private is expensive, outside's also expensive. If i wan to spend, then just take the risk and spend on the real expensive grin afterward since the goal was to finish in Nigeria and travel out, i won't have to worry about that again since I'm already out. I'm pretty sure their system will make room for doing little jobs while schooling, not to mention the plethora of opportunities when one is done with schooling.
Anything but this corntree abeg
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrBonat(m): 4:24pm On Aug 26, 2022
DrOptimistic:

My questions are:

Doctor of medicine?.. Medicine as a course in European countries is usually taken as a secondary degree meaning you are required to have a bachelor degree however some schools require IELTS,TOFEL, MCAT.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Wilson500: 6:51pm On Aug 26, 2022
Clinton39:

DELSU
RSU
EBSU
ANSU
UNIMED ONDO

PS: The list is not exhaustive

Thanks
I appreciate
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 7:25pm On Aug 26, 2022
Wilson500:

Thanks
I appreciate
U're welcome
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Omabel71: 5:57am On Aug 27, 2022
Good morning house. I want to ask if 289 score in utme is good to study medicine at UI. If not which University should I change to.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 27, 2022
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ruggedfighter: 10:02am On Aug 27, 2022
Omabel71:
Good morning house. I want to ask if 289 score in utme is good to study medicine at UI. If not which University should I change to.
Personally, I won't advise you to use 289 for UI. 289 is a nice score but for UI, it's not too much for medicine. Uniport, Unical are top federal schools that such score can suffice. If you have the funds, I'll recommend NDU, ANSU, Unimed(Ondo), RSU for you too. All the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Omabel71: 10:30am On Aug 27, 2022
Ruggedfighter:
Personally, I won't advise you to use 289 for UI. 289 is a nice score but for UI, it's not too much for medicine. Uniport, Unical are top federal schools that such score can suffice. If you have the funds, I'll recommend NDU, ANSU, Unimed(Ondo), RSU for you too. All the best!

I am from south west .....what of UNIOSUN
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrOptimistic: 11:40am On Aug 27, 2022
SF123:
Congratulations on your admission bro.
Thank you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lolabam(f): 12:05pm On Aug 27, 2022
TonyStark2:

Help me, please.

FUOYE's admission portal will soon be closed, please help.
Hi Tony,
I really don't know what fuoye is doing cos they still have a set at hand yet to resume (2021/2022). Taking apart this ASUU strike, I would have advised you to go for UI cos fuoye is known to always extend their deadline. Always. There would have been time to write UI' s putme and still change school to fuoye if you were unable to meet up with cut off

But right now, I don't know what advise to give.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:27pm On Aug 27, 2022

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lolabam(f): 1:07pm On Aug 27, 2022
TonyStark2:

If I do understand. In the absence of strike, UI's admission would've been concluded before the closure of FUOYE's admission portal. But now, due to the strike, the pace of admission between the two have been switched and thus unstable to predict, right?

Hmmm, this is really serious. I really don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, but with the way things are, I guess I'm going to stick with UI and forget about FUOYE for now, hopefully ...

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.
You're right in the first paragraph

If you don't mind, what's your state of origin cos I know personally that it plays a role in fuoye's admission regardless of the fact that it's a federal uni. You can also consider that when making your decision.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by f1dark(f): 1:13pm On Aug 27, 2022
Lagusta:

Refer to my post above, thanx!
where is your post?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 27, 2022
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrOptimistic: 2:00pm On Aug 27, 2022
Gemineye:
congratulations on your admission bro. Regarding your first question...you might be able to get some answers on you tube. Some African folks studying there could have YouTube channels dedicated to documenting their experiences. Vlogs also could help get a better picture

Jakpa is the surest way now.. this incessant strike action won't cease this year. I'm sure there'll be series of others . ASUU will definitely conjure up something next year, the one after that etc.

I'm also looking for a way out of this corntree, if i could get some pointers from you... it'd be much appreciated

Was thinking of going for private University, but a friend of mine was like, what's the big difference, private is expensive, outside's also expensive. If i wan to spend, then just take the risk and spend on the real expensive grin afterward since the goal was to finish in Nigeria and travel out, i won't have to worry about that again since I'm already out. I'm pretty sure their system will make room for doing little jobs while schooling, not to mention the plethora of opportunities when one is done with schooling.
Anything but this corntree abeg

Thanks much for your advice. Just as you said, I have checked YouTube and I have listened to experience of people and Vlogs owned by Africans schooling there. There are fascinating so to say.

Their system give room to do menial jobs while schooling. Most Universities in the Caribbean admit during the September, January and May session. What we know as Pre-clinical in Nigeria, is done in the Caribbean while the Clinical rotations is done in the US. There are lot of Universities in the Caribbean that you can check out, if money is not an issue.

5 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrOptimistic: 2:07pm On Aug 27, 2022
DrBonat:

Doctor of medicine?.. Medicine as a course in European countries is usually taken as a secondary degree meaning you are required to have a bachelor degree however some schools require IELTS,TOFEL, MCAT.

They offer M.D program there and not MBBS as here in Nigeria.
Medicine is usually offered as a second degree in European countries (especially US), but if you are studying Medicine as a first degree, you have to start as a Pre-med student and that's 5 or 5½ years but if you are studying Medicine as a secondary degree, that's 4 years.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Wilson500: 2:48pm On Aug 27, 2022
Ruggedfighter:

Please what's the current level of the first set of medical students in RSU
A friend told me it hasn't been long they started medicine
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dvd4: 2:52pm On Aug 27, 2022
horpeyemmi66:

Cc DvD4
Yes Boss!

I have done justice to that, earlier on the platform.

I have given him the answer.

Thanks once again!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dvd4: 2:54pm On Aug 27, 2022
SF123:
Brother, Does it require borrowing of course in 100level and 200level respectively in UNIZIK? How is it done in UNN in regards to seeming issues borrowing of courses?
Are you still confused about UNIZIK?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dvd4: 3:03pm On Aug 27, 2022
Wilson500:

Please what's the current level of the first set of medical students in RSU
A friend told me it hasn't been long they started medicine
300 or 400L

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 4:58pm On Aug 27, 2022
Dvd4:
Are you still confused about UNIZIK?
Partially chief, the truth is that my admission is strickly based on connection on both getting the physiology and crossing to medicine and surgery itself respectively backed up with high GCPA( i don`t really want to expose myself on this) sir how do i go about it when school resumes? Bro you did not highlight if i should borrow any courses in my 100level and 200level (where the crossing takes place officially though the man says i will do that in 100level)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gemineye: 7:33pm On Aug 27, 2022
DrOptimistic:

Thanks much for your advice. Just as you said, I have checked YouTube and I have listened to experience of people and Vlogs owned by Africans schooling there. There are fascinating so to say.

Their system give room to do menial jobs while schooling. Most Universities in the Caribbean admit during the September, January and May session. What we know as Pre-clinical in Nigeria, is done in the Caribbean while the Clinical rotations is done in the US. There are lot of Universities in the Caribbean that you can check out, if money is not an issue.
Can i get your whatsapp contact..please
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Bribolani: 7:49pm On Aug 27, 2022
Good evening Doctor, Congratulations on this feat.

Can I have your WhatsApp Contact or Facebook Id so you can guide me on this?

DrOptimistic:

My questions are:

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 7:49pm On Aug 27, 2022
Wilson500:

Please what's the current level of the first set of medical students in RSU A friend told me it hasn't been long they started medicine
400L They started in 2018

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by manofsleep(m): 10:07pm On Aug 27, 2022
Can someone use jupeb to study medicine? If so, which schools accept jupeb into medicine? Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (848) (849) (850) (851) (852) (853) (854) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.