Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,626 members, 7,809,337 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State (11928 Views)

Eyewitness Account Of Fulani Attack In Enugu State......(photos)...Greatiyk4u / Pictures Of Fulani Occupation And Destruction Of Agatu Land...... / Aljazeera Calls Hungary Draconian For Stopping Illegal Migration Of Arab Refugee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by emmaBS(m): 5:46pm On Sep 20, 2012
StewieGriffin: my man. Now this is the voice of reason. The so called ban is an infringement on the fundamental rights of a group of nigerian citizens, and so therefore is illegal, null and void. Or shd ogun state citizens be banned frm adamawa and taraba states?

I am sure no one will harass a fulani man if he walks or lives in Ogun without cattles. What the Ogun State Government is saying is the fulani man should not bring in his cattle that will come and destroy farmer's crops.
It's like banning a business in Ogun till certain issues are resolved.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by COOLDUN: 6:05pm On Sep 20, 2012
PStylish:

My aunt's husband is from that part of Ogun state.

The people of those areas had long decided to send the Fulanis packing. They have vowed to achieve this at all cost part of which is this state govt's announcement.

Clashes have been incessant with both sides taking losses over the years.Fulanis lose their precious cattle time and again aside lives. It's high time everything was brought to a reasonable end.

Herding has been outlawed in Lagos from time immemorial. Now Ogun.

It's only a matter of time before the south west is totally ridden of herdsmen.

Advise your Igbo governors to be courageous and man enough to follow the Yoruba example.

You are right my dear. There is no appeal in truth; it is high time we call a spade a spade. I am an Igbo, many of the Igbo governors are eyeing the Nigeria presidency coming 2015, that makes them to accept anything from the North whether good or bad, as long as it will not affect their ambitions. If sharia law could be introduced in some Northern states, prohibiting many business of other people without being disturbed, I support the Ogun state government in banning this long time cancerous gesture that will later turn out to another Plateau state. Prevention is better than cure. Obedience is better than sacrifice. Nigeria is not yet matured for this kind of mixing up. Fulani herdsmen are doing their business, while the farmers are protecting their livelihood, so let no one disturb another with his personal business. North boast of vast land marks, how come they are looking for another places for rearing their cattle? Let them find an alternative means of growing the grasses for their animals. This is not cattle rearing problem. You can take it or leave it.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 20, 2012
If people don't always welcome u cordially into wherever you go then u shud sit down and think Why. The fulani herdsman are always quarreling wherever they go so who want a troublesome visitor in his backyard?
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Noiseless2: 6:18pm On Sep 20, 2012
What can you not understand? Your wife is taking your azzzz to court for divorce,you are no longer popular.
ndu_chucks: You intellectuals and elitists should be ashamed of yourselves for promoting the violation of human rights of fellow Nigerians instead of spending energy to prevent same.

This action by Ogun state cannot be enforced and will be resisted by force. The state official who made this announcement is irresponsible and just playing for cheap publicity - I await his enforcement of this rule.

I'll probably work to organize herdsmen to dare authorities to enforce this rule. Nonesense!!!
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by excondido(m): 6:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
Felixadded: The tiring thing about this herdsmen is their autonomy for carrying sword(Dagar) all around. I think it's high time government should put an end into this.

same page buddy. the govt needs a watchful eye to keep the nomads in check. we ve had enough of their wreckage already.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by BJ4REEL(m): 6:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
ndu_chucks: You intellectuals and elitists should be ashamed of yourselves for promoting the violation of human rights of fellow Nigerians instead of spending energy to prevent same.

This action by Ogun state cannot be enforced and will be resisted by force. The state official who made this announcement is irresponsible and just playing for cheap publicity - I await his enforcement of this rule.

I'll probably work to organize herdsmen to dare authorities to enforce this rule. Nonesense!!!
I knew you'd show up,to defend those bloodthirsty peepz....#

pity you,wateva is your motive sha
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by PointB: 6:59pm On Sep 20, 2012

Fulani are not banned from traveling to Ogun or any part of the Nigeria. However, it is the cattle herders that are suspended. I see no problem here; no right violation. The threat of use of force is mutual. On one side there will be dagger wielding cattle herders, on the other side AK47 wielding soldier boys, so let the force resistance begin. Just be sure to lead the charge!

1 Like

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by dasparrow: 7:00pm On Sep 20, 2012
@Post

I think Ogun state is doing the right thing. Fulani herdsmen cannot keep running around destroying people's farms and people's livelihood. I know for a fact that the north has alot of land and grazing area. Why should these Fulani herdsmen wander with their cattles into people's farms destroying their crops and leaving the people wih no food? Is that fair? I pray that SE, Niger delta and central regions follow in Ogun state's footsteps.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by basking4me: 7:02pm On Sep 20, 2012
I Really think the idea of roaming Cows should be abolished.. Indeed we r in the 21ST century and cows still roam the roads and bushes. Government should stamp its feet and restrict these farm animals to Ranches. I am quite certain that those Zimbawean White Farmers in Kwara also have cows but we dont get to see them roaming them. This amount to public disturbance.

'Have you heard the story of the man trying to escape from a bunch of grazing cows on a road and got run over by a vehicle instead!!. Nomadic life should stop in Nigeria...

Cow housing facilities.. in the Name of RANCHES should end this issue once for all.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Blueboy0402: 7:04pm On Sep 20, 2012

Ndu Chucks or whatever you call yourself, I would have ignored your coment but I decided to help you before you perish in your ignorance. Can you define the following;
1. Violation
2. Human right

It is appalling when people like you come to a forum like this to display your half intelligence. I believe you wrote English language in WAEC, please dont give me the impression that you are having challenges in English comprehension. Go back and read what the op posted and if you still cannot comprehend it then consult a private teacher.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Clemzy16(m): 7:14pm On Sep 20, 2012
eledalo: Is Nigeria a country at all? Citizens are being banned from going to one part of a country to another. Being from one part of a country is seen as a direct physical threat to others. Is this a country, a nation or an amalgamation.
Do you have any idea the number of innocent people this herdsmen have killed in the past few months. However, the state govt is not restricting them from coming into the state as regular Citizens of the country. It is prohibiting them from coming into the state and performing their various activities with their cattles. These are measures put in place inorder to ease the tension and threat of further violence. Besides, It's not permanent. It's temporary.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Blueboy0402: 7:16pm On Sep 20, 2012

Ndu Chucks or whatever you call yourself, I would have ignored your coment but I decided to help you before you perish in your ignorance. Can you define the following;
1. Violation
2. Human right

It is appalling when people like you come to a forum like this to display your half intelligence. I believe you wrote English language in WAEC, please dont give me the impression that you are having challenges in English comprehension. Go back and read what the op posted and if you still cannot comprehend it then consult a private teacher.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Siga: 7:17pm On Sep 20, 2012
Please read the article again now.....no one is banning anyone...all the guy said was no cattle rearing or nomad activities for now.....how would u feel if a Fulani man bring hin cattles to come chop all ur papa farm....and ontop of that kill all man wey dey the farm....so....please read the statement better....
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Vernor(m): 7:23pm On Sep 20, 2012
Abeg let the fulani man roam around, he's been doin dat since ninteen kokoro.

It's been down since history, the nomadic way, u knw? PLS LET DEM GRAZE IN UR STATE NOT OGUN are u not aware of their anticident, abeg we no want dem oooo
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by basking4me: 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2012
In the US, american indians were restricted to certain areas at a certain time due to their perceived social tendencies. If the Activities of these herders are disturbing the people, then My suggestions is to restrict them to farm settlements to be called Ranches. In fact every state should emulate Cross river with her obudu cattle Ranch.

Apart from providing grazing land to herders, its income earning for the government and most of all, gives a settled mind for the the citizens and other farmers whose crops would have been trampled upon by thotless cows.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Blueboy0402: 7:24pm On Sep 20, 2012

1. Violation
2. Human right

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by PROUDIGBO(m): 7:33pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ejiné:

...NURTW grin

^^^NURTW shocked?!! Hehehehe grin grin grin Na only mouth dem get.....by the time the Fulani herdsmen unsheath their sharpened daggers and growl a few hot curses in hausa, just watch as the NURTW agberos make a quick about turn and flee!!!
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by basking4me: 7:49pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ogun state is a farming State, I am sure the government have plans in place to manage cattle rearers issues but in case they dont here is a link in support of that the need to setup up restrictions to the archaic rearing methodology. It should eventually put an end to shortage/importation of not only meat but other foods in Nigeria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_farming
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by DuduNegro: 7:53pm On Sep 20, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^NURTW shocked?!! Hehehehe grin grin grin Na only mouth dem get.....by the time the Fulani herdsmen unsheath their sharpened daggers and growl a few hot curses in hausa, just watch as the NURTW agberos make a quick about turn and flee!!!

There is beginning to everything. This is the beginning of somethig. It will help realize the desire to curtail atrocities of fulani herdsmen whether its in Benue or Osogbo or Mbaise or anywhere else that is impacted by the marauders and wants to stop it. This time for you Igbos to add voice in encouragement, not necessarily givig credit to Ogun.....because we you wouldnt , but compelling your states to follow suit.

When fulani rape and kill people on hour land you carry placard and proteat in streets. Well, this is good time to carry placarf to state assembly and ask them to act wih a similar voice.

This is the beginning of something.....it might not be yt tangible but is is somehig in the awareness.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Mrchippychappy(m): 7:56pm On Sep 20, 2012
The herdsmen are Nigerians . They have the right to go into any part of Nigeria . The action taken by the law authorities of Ogun state is unconstitutional .
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by nduchucks: 7:58pm On Sep 20, 2012
double post
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by basking4me: 7:58pm On Sep 20, 2012
Cow dungs collected on Ranches/ intensive farming for cows can even be used to Generate power. According to this bbc report on youtube, the manure from a farm with 32,000 cows should conveniently power up to 8000 homes electricity.

Why aint we taking up this reforms instead...We should stop losing direction and stay focused.

check this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJpxaWR2J-c
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by nduchucks: 7:59pm On Sep 20, 2012
For the education of the quack intellectuals on this thread, I submit an excerp from our constitution;

Chapter IV Fundamental Rights

41. (1) Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part thereof, and no citizen of Nigeria shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereby or exit therefrom.

If the herdsmen are yet to commit any crime, no one has the right to restrict their free movement throughout Nigeria.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Mrchippychappy(m): 8:02pm On Sep 20, 2012
basking4me: Cow dungs collected on Ranches/ intensive farming for cows can even be used to Generate power. According to this bbc report on youtube, the manure from a farm with 32,000 cows should conveniently power up to 8000 homes electricity.

Why aint we taking up this reforms instead...We should stop losing direction and stay focused.

check this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJpxaWR2J-c

So how many BILLION cows would we need to power the homes of 150million Nigerians?
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Desola(f): 8:06pm On Sep 20, 2012
ndu_chucks: For the education of the quack intellectuals on this thread, I submit an excerp from our constitution;

41. (1) Every citizen of Nigeria is entitled to move freely throughout Nigeria and to reside in any part thereof, and no citizen of Nigeria shall be expelled from Nigeria or refused entry thereby or exit therefrom.

If the herdsmen are yet to commit any crime, no one has the right to restrict their free movement throughout Nigeria.

Every citizen and not "citizen and livestock"

3 Likes

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 20, 2012
[/color][color=#990000] smiley
Fidtad: Can any good thing comes out of the FULANI?
smiley
Fidtad: Can any good thing comes out of the FULANI?
jst passing.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Navalsadiq(m): 8:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
No more pormo and shakee for una.
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by Iolo(m): 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2012
ndu_chucks: For the education of the quack intellectuals on this thread, I submit an excerp from our constitution;

Stop bin silly. Did you see cow mentioned in the constitution? Fulani can come freely to Ogun state but that strips them off the title herdsmen right?

Every governing entity owns the right to protect its citizens.

Fulani + cow = BaNned from Ogun state
Fulani - cow = Not banned.

You don't mean to say the cows are also fulani do you?
Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by nduchucks: 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2012
Desola:

Every citizen and not "citizen and livestock"

Do you want me to sight provisions which prevents the government from restricting the movement of your legitimate goods freely throughout the land? Please understand that I am not from anyone detroying people's properties without facing certain repercussions. Lets enforce the laws which prevent the wanton destruction of properties first before announcing this foolish and illegal rule.

People should also learn to protect their properties with barbed wires and the like. How would you like me and my people to suddenly claim that the Benin/Ore road which you've been using for decades belong to us, hence we'll ban you from driving your cars through the road? ehn, da mi lohun.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by nduchucks: 8:34pm On Sep 20, 2012
Iolo:

Stop bin silly. Did you see cow mentioned in the constitution? Fulani can come freely to Ogun state but that strips them off the title herdsmen right?

Every governing entity owns the right to protect its citizens.

Fulani + cow = BaNned from Ogun state
Fulani - cow = Not banned.

You don't mean to say the cows are also fulani do you?

Are you a cretin? Moving freely means being able to move with your belongings. If you are allowed to move, but without your belongings, how is that free movement? mumu

1 Like

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by lagcity(m): 8:52pm On Sep 20, 2012
PointB: From what I read I think it's a sort of suspension. I hope it is made permanent. Afam4eva (or someone else) once reminded us that the cattle rearer do so for profit, not for charity. Same applies to the farmers (in every corner of Nigeria) who acquire land, seedling, and other farm inputs, and raise their crops at great cost, only for grazing cattle to descend on such labour.

This is 21st century, the cattle herders should develop more 'love' for their animals, and raise them in ranches. It amount to sheer cruelty to make the animal travel such long, and dangerous terrain to cities, in search of food, simply because their herder enjoy long distance travel. I put it to the herder that the cow don't enjoy the trek. Keep them in ranches!

You are right. That long trek and grazing doesn't make economic sense at all. How are the cows supposed to gain weight and sell for more if they trek long distances everyday. Sometimes they are even forced to trot along the highway! Cows lose weight with all that wahala.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Halts Migration Of Fulani Herdsmen Into The State by lagcity(m): 8:59pm On Sep 20, 2012

tell d rearers to behave

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Awards 69 Capital Projects At N50 Billion / "How I Paid N12 Million Into Justice Ajumogobia's Company Account" - Witness / House Of Reps Seeks Suspension Of Proposed National Census

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.