Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,678 members, 7,816,780 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting (11638 Views)

Signs That Your Long Distance Relationship Is Fading / More Dan 4 Blood Oath Bfr D Relationship Ends / Why Do Women Hate When The Relationship Ends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by KateSpade(f): 5:14pm On Sep 27, 2012
I am currently in a long distance relationship. My bf will be returning in about two months after being away for over 6 months. Over the course of the 6 months, it has been difficult for me at times. I miss him but I also resent him for being gone for so long.

I know certain adjustments will have to be made
Adjustments like making time for him and possibly not keeping up with all of the new tasks I did in his absence. Seeing his family again (some of them live her but I haven't seen the majority of them since he has been gone). The only time I have seen them is when it was work-related.

I don't want to bombard him when he returns. However, I know that he and I will have to have a conversation about our relationship because I know I won't be able to pick up right when we left off. I don't want him to be with me simply because I'm still around and I want to be clear about each of our intentions and future plans without being too rude.

Has anyone here ever been in this position before? Any advice, tips?

1 Like

Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Mynd44: 7:27pm On Sep 27, 2012
Erm....... I have been in this situation before and it is really not difficult. Just start with small things like a movie date walk and stuff and let things sort themselves out

1 Like

Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by KateSpade(f): 1:45am On Sep 28, 2012
I guess I have no other choice. However, he did think about moving in with me until he finds a new place. That's all too sudden for me. Going from not seeing someone to them moving in with you. Not to mention that I don't want to live with another male I'm romantically involved with until marriage.

1 Like

Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by tellwsdom: 1:49am On Sep 28, 2012
KateSpade: I am currently in a long distance relationship. My bf will be returning in about two months after being away for over 6 months. Over the course of the 6 months, it has been difficult for me at times. I miss him but I also resent him for being gone for so long.

Adjustments like making time for him and possibly not keeping up with all of the new tasks I did in his absence. Seeing his family again (some of them live her but I haven't seen the majority of them since he has been gone). The only time I have seen them is when it was work-related.

I don't want to bombard him when he returns. However, I know that he and I will have to have a conversation about our relationship because I know I won't be able to pick up right when we left off. I don't want him to be with me simply because I'm still around and I want to be clear about each of our intentions and future plans without being too rude.

Cut that craps abeg angry angry
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Mynd44: 6:27am On Sep 28, 2012
KateSpade: I guess I have no other choice. However, he did think about moving in with me until he finds a new place. That's all too sudden for me. Going from not seeing someone to them moving in with you. Not to mention that I don't want to live with another male I'm romantically involved with until marriage.
Then tell him you are not comfortable with him living with you. It is lot better that being uncomfortable with him in the house
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by KateSpade(f): 2:27pm On Sep 28, 2012
tellwsdom:

Cut that craps abeg angry angry

It's not crap. Future plans are not inclusive to marriage. He somewhat is aware of my career plans and I of his but my life is a lot more steady and confined. Like I'm still in grad school and don't have any plans to relocate for the next 4 years because I plan on passing the bar in this state and starting off here. If anything I'm more apprehensive about marriage than he is, he talks about living together and how many kids he wants. Just because I'm apprehensive doesn't mean that I should avoid the conversation.
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by KateSpade(f): 2:27pm On Sep 28, 2012
Mynd_44:
Then tell him you are not comfortable with him living with you. It is lot better that being uncomfortable with him in the house

He knows. Told him months ago.
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by obowunmi(m): 4:13pm On Sep 28, 2012
Break it off - try dating other people and if it is meant to be, you might find yourselves back with each other.
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Okijajuju1(m): 4:16pm On Sep 28, 2012
KateSpade: I am currently in a long distance relationship. My bf will be returning in about two months after being away for over 6 months. Over the course of the 6 months, it has been difficult for me at times. I miss him but I also resent him for being gone for so long.

SHOOO!! Wetin be your real problem?! Your bobo wey go overseas go hustle for you, dey return, you dey wan form sentimental.. Abi you get one new bobo wey don dey service you while ehn dey that side, now wey ehn dey return, your mind dey cut?! Until you talk your real problems, you can never get real solutions to them!!..

10 Likes

Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by hollypagan: 4:25pm On Sep 28, 2012
Woman just 6 months?my advice is tell him to stay more yrs
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Siga: 4:25pm On Sep 28, 2012
Oh Lord...here we go again.... undecided
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Tlake(m): 4:26pm On Sep 28, 2012
Dis babe dsnt really luv dis bobo dis guys gone 4 6 months all u culd say is this,fine u can try 2 b a woman by tryn 2 gve him space bt at least he jst got bak. shw him u really miss stay wif him a while n leave if he wants u will marry shap shap or na introduction go follow. When I travl jst 4 4 months, u nid 2 see hw my babe kissed my @ d airport lik its bin 5 yrs.Babe wise up oo
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by MadCow1: 4:26pm On Sep 28, 2012
It looks like someone has been fhucking around in the last six months...

4 Likes

Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by mediainspired: 4:40pm On Sep 28, 2012
Just 6 months &sum1 is whining her bf has bn gone 'for so long'? WOOOW! Sumbody pls clap 4me; i must be a Pope. Neva knew women ar always dis 'ACTIVE,'& dem go dey form as if it's a man's virus. Anyways @op, if u guys ar romantically involved, d less u see &be wit each oda, d beta 4u until marriage. It sounds ironic, but u need all d discipline now. Then 'unleash' urselves as u may wish in marriage. Dats d number 1 purpose of marriage: Companionship. Personally, i dont joke wit it. I wont take even 2 weeks apart!
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by nabegibeg: 4:41pm On Sep 28, 2012
move from the know to the unknown as you both converse while he is around
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by stepo707: 4:48pm On Sep 28, 2012
women are just confused set of people(no offence but its the truth) lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Mynd44: 4:51pm On Sep 28, 2012
obowunmi: Break it off - try dating other people and if it is meant to be, you might find yourselves back with each other.
I wonder if you actually believe what you just wrote there
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by ChideraFavour(m): 4:52pm On Sep 28, 2012
Pls if u realy lov ds guy n fait4l 2 him,it shouldnt hv bn such hard labour 2 meet him again,somtin must b wrong somwhr anywell u knw d best 4 u

1 Like

Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Nobody: 4:59pm On Sep 28, 2012
[size=18pt]this girl don come with her tori tori as usuall.. meeen, im sure that guy must have gone on a shooting spreee "6months" ooutta da cage grin grin[/size]
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by condralbede(m): 5:00pm On Sep 28, 2012
Yawning
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by KateSpade(f): 5:01pm On Sep 28, 2012
Okija_juju:

SHOOO!! Wetin be your real problem?! Your bobo wey go overseas go hustle for you, dey return, you dey wan form sentimental.. Abi you get one new bobo wey don dey service you while ehn dey that side, now wey ehn dey return, your mind dey cut?! Until you talk your real problems, you can never get real solutions to them!!..

ha what? Hustle for me? He is trying to get himself together. That is my real problem.
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Delfino: 5:06pm On Sep 28, 2012
KateSpade: I guess I have no other choice. However, he did think about moving in with me until he finds a new place. That's all too sudden for me. Going from not seeing someone to them moving in with you. Not to mention that I don't want to live with another male I'm romantically involved with until marriage.

My people would normally say that "If Sunday would be good, it is the preceding Saturday that will tell"

Meaning "If his coming back is anything to look forward to, you would have known by now"
Infact you will not need to open this thread and that's the fact!
Because you will be filled with so much joy and happiness that you will not be able to sleep at nights.
I have been there and we were always looking forward to the "moment" but not from your angle.
There was never a moment of doubt and fear.

My simple advice -- Try to know all that you need to know about the status of your relationship before he arrives.
Ask him the important questions unless of course communication is a problem. But if not discuss this with him now.

Don't wait for him to arrive and confirm your fears.
It is normal for you to be skeptically and knowing the truth will set your mind free.
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by KateSpade(f): 5:07pm On Sep 28, 2012
Chidera Favour: Pls if u realy lov ds guy n fait4l 2 him,it shouldnt hv bn such hard labour 2 meet him again,somtin must b wrong somwhr anywell u knw d best 4 u

It's not such hard labour I'm just nervous and typically not a fan of long distance and commitment and here I am committed doing long distance.
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by bejay766: 5:07pm On Sep 28, 2012
She wants freedom but does not know how to go about it.
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Okijajuju1(m): 5:11pm On Sep 28, 2012
KateSpade:

ha what? Hustle for me? He is trying to get himself together. That is my real problem.

So!! The fact that he is still hustling is the problem here?! Na wah o!! ..
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by KateSpade(f): 5:11pm On Sep 28, 2012
Delfino:

My people would normally say that "If Sunday would be good, it is the preceding Saturday that will tell"

Meaning "If his coming back is anything to look forward to, you would have known by now"
Infact you will not need to open this thread and that's the fact!
Because you will be filled with so much joy and happiness that you will not be able to sleep at nights.
I have been there and we were always looking forward to the "moment" but not from your angle.
There was never a moment of doubt and fear.

My simple advice -- Try to know all that you need to know about the status of your relationship before he arrives.
Ask him the important questions unless of course communication is a problem. But if not discuss this with him now.

Don't wait for him to arrive and confirm your fears.
It is normal for you to be skeptically and knowing the truth will set your mind free.

Thanks.

We do discuss it, I'm just a blunt person so at times when I ask very direct questions or say things he might get upset.
I'm waiting because I believe in our relationship. If he doesn't I'd rather him be very clear about that now rather than 6 months from now.
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by mikkybrick: 5:27pm On Sep 28, 2012
<hisses>
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 28, 2012
How are you so sure he is coming back for you and not for his family u dot visit or the new girl friend he has gotten. U have showed the house the kind of girl you are when u honestly tell us u don't visit his family me and my husband settle it mata d way u like jare
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by OmoAlata(f): 5:33pm On Sep 28, 2012
Ol'girl, you need to be frank with him. Yeah, it'll hurt but he'll get over it. On no accounts must you let him cohabit with you shocked He can squat at one of his family's place.
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Okijajuju1(m): 5:36pm On Sep 28, 2012
Omo Alata: Ol'girl, you need to be frank with him. Yeah, it'll hurt but he'll get over it. On no accounts must you let him cohabit with you shocked He can squat at one of his family's place.

WTF!! Are you talking about here biko?! angry Tell him what?! What will he get over?! ..
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by Kposkila: 5:46pm On Sep 28, 2012
Mad Cow: It looks like someone has been fhucking around in the last six months...
a mad cow indeed, u dont have to alter a word b4 we know d state of ur mental derailment! get a doc!
Re: When Long-Distance Relationship Ends - Advice On Adjusting by KateSpade(f): 5:50pm On Sep 28, 2012
Omo Alata: Ol'girl, you need to be frank with him. Yeah, it'll hurt but he'll get over it. On no accounts must you let him cohabit with you shocked He can squat at one of his family's place.

Yeah that's what I told him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Ex Named Her Child After Me / How To Easily Have Sex With A Girl On Her First Visit / "Why You Shouldn't Tell A Woman You Like Her And What To Do Instead"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.