Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,679 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes (31533 Views)

Adeola Of Sahara TV Brings Keeping It Real To An End After Mugabe Encounter / President Jonathan's Speech On Recent Floods Experienced / Traditional Ruler Drowns In Delta Floods (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by passionate88: 11:22pm On Oct 03, 2012
berem: Abeg anybody wey see Lion and Tiger for im house make we know! The flood don carry all the wild animals comot for jungle come enter pesin house! Wahala dey o!
people wey dey complain say no animals 4 ph zoo, d animals go vacation 4 benue... By december wn d flood dn dry make una check d zoo again d animals will b refreshed..
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by tellwisdom: 11:23pm On Oct 03, 2012
Please can i see the hippopotamus?? who is selling them?? sad sad
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by DeCleff(m): 11:25pm On Oct 03, 2012
virtuoso01: Dangerous animals, including crocodiles, snakes and hippos, have found their way into homes and communities in central Nigeria after devastating flooding, residents say.

The creatures were carried along flood-swollen rivers, say the authorities.

"There is now a hippopotamus in [my] house," Benue state resident Wuese Jirake told the BBC. "I hope that when it is tired, it may leave myhome."
Hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced by the flooding.

Hundreds also died in the worst flooding in decades.

Vast tracts of farmland have been completely destroyed.

Mr Jirake told the BBC he had returned to his home to find it occupied by the hippo.

"This morning I visited my house. It is still inundated with the flood waters above my waist. There is now a hippopotamus in the house," he said.
He said he had reported the situation to the authorities.

"I hope that when it is tired, it may leave my home. If there is any other way of dealing with the problem, the authorities need to pursue that because it is beyond my abilities."

Similar situations have been reported in the towns of Makurdi, Agatu, Logo and Adoka, says the BBC's Is'haq Khalid.

Nigeria's National Emergency Management Agency says it is working hand in hand with the Benue state government and other relevant agencies to ensure the flood victims return to their homes.

The co-ordinator of the agency in north-central Nigeria, Abdussalam Muhammad, told the BBC that it was not safe for people to go back to their houses because of the presence of the dangerous animals.

"Presently there are crocodiles and snakes as well as other dangerous animals brought in by the floodwaters that are living in those houses, so, if the people return, it will be harmful to them and they will put their lives at risk," he said.
He said people should wait for instructions after the floodwaters have subsided.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19818180

Wow! Who said there are no opportunities in every disaster? I see a better opportunity to fill some our zoo with all these animals.

Let relevant authorities take positve steps now & get those animals alive because we need them in our various zoo across the country.
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by bibiking7(m): 11:26pm On Oct 03, 2012
Kay-Dee:
We have Hippos shocked ? Cool !! cool cool cool

i am surprised too...... so we have hippos... damn. shocked
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by bibiking7(m): 11:26pm On Oct 03, 2012
Todaynatoday: h i p for the hip for the hip
p o p o for the hippopo
and t a m u s for the hippopotamus.
HIPPOPOTAMUS!

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Iaz93: 11:33pm On Oct 03, 2012
Dem go soon see shark+whale
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by jango77(m): 11:34pm On Oct 03, 2012
Dia own na small...mami water dey my house now now...she dey dia dey sing with other sea creatures !!! But the the government is stting up a committee to probe the flood,they re ontop of the situation as im talkin to una now lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Iaz93: 11:37pm On Oct 03, 2012
Horus:
....lwkmd.... Ah go jst faint... Rodfl
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Iaz93: 11:39pm On Oct 03, 2012
Ileke-IdI:

That hippo looks better and weighs lighter than the mama Ngozi across my street.
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Iaz93: 11:42pm On Oct 03, 2012
pro01: Someone needs to show them what a Hippo looks like - just to make sure that's what they saw. Personally, I don't think I'll live to tell the story if I ever encounter anything this ugly in my own home. Such lethal ugliness cannot be survived. . .na to die straight.

this ya hippo na baby hippo, maybe 1 week old.... A mother hippo is twice d size of an elephant
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by SimplySEA(m): 11:54pm On Oct 03, 2012
bibiking7:

i am surprised too...... so we have hippos... damn. shocked
where were you last yr when news carried the visuals of 2hippos seen in d Benue river? I saw it live. I schooled there and was fortunate to be in town then! For snakes, no doubt. Makurdi na house of snake. For crocs, i no now, but i won't be surprised sha
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by itzlazzy(m): 11:54pm On Oct 03, 2012
also killed 1 hippo in front of my house
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by bbpreye2: 11:54pm On Oct 03, 2012
May God have mercy on Nigeria, cos we don't have good facilities in place to counter natural disasters of this magnitude.

May God have mercy on our politicians starting with Mr. President even thoug he's a fellow Ijaw man, cos the blood of dead will be on their head if they steal any dime meant for the people of Nigeria

All I can say is God have mercy!
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by member479760: 12:00am On Oct 04, 2012
wey photo?
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by uceee(m): 12:00am On Oct 04, 2012
Chei! Nothing wey person no go hear. Crocs and hippos in their houses? They must have really pleased the gods. They have come to visit them in form of Crocs and Hippos.....Roflmao. On a serious note, its unfortunate that the flood has affected people so much. Even after it was predicted. I hope relevant authorities come to their aid soonest. As for the man waiting 4 the hippo to leave. He'd better find a new house oh.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by itzlazzy(m): 12:01am On Oct 04, 2012
SimplySEA: where were you last yr when news carried the visuals of 2hippos seen in d Benue river? I saw it live. I schooled there and was fortunate to be in town then! For snakes, no doubt. Makurdi na house of snake. For crocs, i no now, but i won't be surprised sha

people took their familiez 2 go n c hippoz @ wurukum

#no lie
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by BusHouse(m): 12:04am On Oct 04, 2012
gbadexy: I didn't know too that we have hippos in Nigeria.
I wonder how many wild animals we have in nigeria.
I have witnessed hippos killed on three occassions in river niger (one in lokoja). A marine police friend of mine who was among the team that killed the beast brought the meat home, mehn, it was a great feast on that day. We still have many hippos in the river till this day.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 04, 2012
Hippos are very dangerous and aggressive animals.

Check out the wide mouth and the massive teeths.

Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Nobody: 12:06am On Oct 04, 2012
When you see one...just flee.
Like this man.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by 2gohandler: 12:08am On Oct 04, 2012
Na so d flood cari anoda man wife cum ma bed
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by SimplySEA(m): 12:24am On Oct 04, 2012
itzlazzy:

people took their familiez 2 go n c hippoz @ wurukum

#no lie
guy na so! Me been de on top bridge see am live! People here are mostly thomas about it
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by ifeomabernard(f): 12:36am On Oct 04, 2012
Todaynatoday: h i p for the hip for the hip
p o p o for the hippopo
and t a m u s for the hippopotamus.
HIPPOPOTAMUS!
When did you die
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by fitzmayowa: 1:26am On Oct 04, 2012
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm na wa ooooooo lions go soon even they among the animals in peoples home * hisses and walks away *
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Carlmax(m): 1:47am On Oct 04, 2012
gbadexy: I didn't know too that we have hippos in Nigeria.
I wonder how many wild animals we have in nigeria.

1996/1997 can't remember the exact year right now, In Lokoja some hippos were killed by a joint task force of police and fishermen after the Hippos capsized a number of boats.. I ate from d hippo.. Well, my point is " ya, we have Hippos in Nigeria".
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:32am On Oct 04, 2012
DeCleff:

Wow! Who said there are no opportunities in every disaster? I see a better opportunity to fill some our zoo with all these animals.

Let relevant authorities take positve steps now & get those animals alive because we need them in our various zoo across the country.

are you st.upid or what? why make innocent animal suffer in cage. some human na deserve be in cage, roam free. let suthorities put them in zoo. angry
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Nobody: 2:51am On Oct 04, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

are you st.upid or what? why make innocent animal suffer in cage. some human na deserve be in cage, roam free. let suthorities put them in zoo. angry
grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by skydeep(f): 3:55am On Oct 04, 2012
This is super story undecided
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by omenka(m): 4:09am On Oct 04, 2012
emeka.D.:
Chai BBC! Hippos ke grin grin grin grin grin grin
What's so unbelievable about this. Every once in a while (perhaps once in two yrs) a small pod of hippos numbering 5-8 show up in the river at the makurdi axis between the Old and New bridge. Seen 'em a coupla times myself, and so have many residents in makurdi.
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by drnoel: 4:51am On Oct 04, 2012
Did he say Hippos. OMG that is serious wild meat. Abeg he shld give us his address so we can go and catch it.
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by ndukwejoe(m): 5:12am On Oct 04, 2012
Lie or true time shall tell.
Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Bosuntop: 5:52am On Oct 04, 2012
I dont think some people know the meaning of flood distroying a whole community,its heartless to joke about it. God please help the community and intervane in their problems.. Amen

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes by Gabrielabalaka(m): 6:43am On Oct 04, 2012
Nawa o.does it mean the hippo and the crocodiles can not be hunt?i suggest they should go and look for hunters so that they can arrest those things na.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Throwback Pictures Of MKO Abiola During June 12 / Brymo Apologises To Those Saddened By His Tweet About The Igbos (Video) / Jihad Has Been Launched In Nigeria – Danjuma, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.